Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
So did WoFF actually turn out to have 100 hours of stuff to do, or was that standard pre-release length inflation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
FFXV is gonna turn out to be the same length as The Order and what people have played thus far is actually 75% of the game. hth

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Celery Jello posted:

So did WoFF actually turn out to have 100 hours of stuff to do, or was that standard pre-release length inflation?

I'm at 20+ hrs with 3 ish of that being hunting for the baby summons and 2 being time that counted because I dozed off while playing and I'm only to chapter 7 of I think 20+.

I'm dawdling and talking to literally everyone and doing all possible side quests tho

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Bongo Bill posted:

The remake will be episodic and the first episode is going to include only parts where he's still trying as hard as he can to be aloof and edgy.

Trying, yes, and failing while Aeris makes fun of him constantly

I hope they play that up as much as possible

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i'm only gonna play the first part cuase thats the only part i liked

i want a 45 minute cutscene of cloud trying his best to pretend to be a girl backstage before meeting don corneo

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

mandatory lesbian posted:

i'm only gonna play the first part cuase thats the only part i liked

i want a 45 minute cutscene of cloud trying his best to pretend to be a girl backstage before meeting don corneo

The wall market was actually a horribly boring, obtuse, frustrating and offensive diversion, sorry to tell you. I can recommend good parts of that game to be your favorite part instead, if it helps.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Cleretic posted:

The wall market was actually a horribly boring, obtuse, frustrating and offensive diversion, sorry to tell you. I can recommend good parts of that game to be your favorite part instead, if it helps.

I'm sorry for your wrong opinions

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I'm not finished with it, but I'm hearing that WoFF is ~30 hours for the main story if you go at a good clip, plus a postgame.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Cleretic posted:

im gonna make cloud a pretty girl and you can't stop me

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
FF7R: Lightning Returns better come out for steam so i can actually play it

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I'm not finished with it, but I'm hearing that WoFF is ~30 hours for the main story if you go at a good clip, plus a postgame.

I haven't finished but I assume it's 30 hours if you beeline the main quest. I keep going back and doing side stuff and I'm at about ~25 hours at chapter 15.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I'm playing FFXIII for the first time and... It's good?? The story's pretty entertaining so far and I'm having a ball with the combat. I'm still trying to figure out Sentinel though, it feels like a role that it'll be a lot better when I have a full party

Fake edit: I also feel like the 'turn into crystal if you complete your Focus' thing is kind of unnecessary. The threat of death from not completing your Focus and people trying to kill you to stop you from completing your Focus are good enough plot hooks, the crystal stuff just kind of muddies it up and makes the whole thing seem too hopeless imo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sentinel is something you don't really need to use too often but it can be helpful for some bosses

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

Jeez. I hope there is another place to find them. Wandering around that long doesn't sound very fun.

There is. There are several assured spawn spots and I think they show in the Colosseum too after a certain point.

Scrap Dragon posted:

I'm playing FFXIII for the first time and... It's good?? The story's pretty entertaining so far and I'm having a ball with the combat. I'm still trying to figure out Sentinel though, it feels like a role that it'll be a lot better when I have a full party

Fake edit: I also feel like the 'turn into crystal if you complete your Focus' thing is kind of unnecessary. The threat of death from not completing your Focus and people trying to kill you to stop you from completing your Focus are good enough plot hooks, the crystal stuff just kind of muddies it up and makes the whole thing seem too hopeless imo

Think of Sentinel as "Defend."

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Scrap Dragon posted:

i love the combat but really? you think the story's okay?

oh wait you're early on, you just saw lightning punch snow and moms are tough, of course you still think its entertaining, nevermind

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Nope, just low spawn rate. Took me however long it took to level to around 25 from 10 before I had the last one (Fritt).

How were you surviving at level 10? I ventured into there at level 11 and the first battle wiped me out (a mandragora, a few rock guys, and a floateye) as I was only doing ~50 damage a hit.

Edit: came back around level 16 with some wind magic and it was a lot easier to survive. On top of finding those rare mirages, the battles also give a lot of exp so expect to level a lot and bring along some mirages you want to make stronger.

Shoren fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 31, 2016

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Suaimhneas posted:

Trying, yes, and failing while Aeris makes fun of him constantly

I hope they play that up as much as possible

The characters in FFVII have really good dynamics with one another and I will be very sad if the remake messes them up.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Since I recently acquired a PS4, I decided to get the FF7 port on a whim.

I forgot about a lot of little details so far in the game, like how each Sector in Midgar actually used to be their own little town, or the train conductor that's seen so many miserable things doing his job that he's gotten jaded with life. Or the random NPC that thinks AVALANCHE is awful since innocent people were killed in their bombing attacks.

None of these are vital bits of plot on their own or anything, but they help really sell the overall story and setting I feel.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Since I recently acquired a PS4, I decided to get the FF7 port on a whim.

I forgot about a lot of little details so far in the game, like how each Sector in Midgar actually used to be their own little town, or the train conductor that's seen so many miserable things doing his job that he's gotten jaded with life. Or the random NPC that thinks AVALANCHE is awful since innocent people were killed in their bombing attacks.

None of these are vital bits of plot on their own or anything, but they help really sell the overall story and setting I feel.

Midgar has a lot of really great NPCs. I think some of the later towns don't do as well in that unfortunately. Midgar's pretty much the most fully-realized 'town' in the game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Most of the other towns are like one screen big and have three houses.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Shoren posted:

How were you surviving at level 10? I ventured into there at level 11 and the first battle wiped me out (a mandragora, a few rock guys, and a floateye) as I was only doing ~50 damage a hit.

Edit: came back around level 16 with some wind magic and it was a lot easier to survive. On top of finding those rare mirages, the battles also give a lot of exp so expect to level a lot and bring along some mirages you want to make stronger.

Yeah, it's a level 15-20 area. If you use the Coliseum trick, you can go in there with Ifrit/Ramuh Prime and clean house with their cheap AoE fire/thunder spells. The secret area in Nether Nebula is a great place to quickly boost all of your back lineup mirages to level 15-20. I left the area when Reyn and Lann were level 30 (took me that long to find Zapt and Fritt), which gave me a huge power advantage the rest of the game.

Ifrit and Shiva appear in the Coliseum as a random encounter - spam easy fights until they show. Use your tankiest team, assault them with spells of their MATCHING element (IE fire on Ifrit), 2-3 casts and you can imprism them with ease. Once you have the Nebula Nitwits on your team, Ramuh will show up as another random encounter and you can do the same with him. Enjoy breaking the rest of the game.

Took me about 4-5 hours of grind in there to get all three of the mini elementals. The encounter feels like 5% each, or something close to that.

PS:

Ifrit + Bablizz + Thundaga mirajewel from Ramuh = level 25 access to Flare and Meteor. Enjoy killing things. Add a Fira mirajewel into the mix (from Fritt's medium form) for access to Firaga/Firaja. :getin:

Ramuh (w/Cure seed) + Moogle (w/Cure) + either twin (w/Cure Mirajewel) = level 25 access to Cura and Curaga. The only thing you'll need to fear is Death/Doom. :ohdear:

Varance fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Oct 31, 2016

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Spending several.hours grinding in one spot and then being overlevelled for the rest of the game sounds like a great way to burn out and stop playing before the end, don't think I'll be doing that. Especially if those mirages are more easily obtainable later on :stare:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Suaimhneas posted:

Spending several.hours grinding in one spot and then being overlevelled for the rest of the game sounds like a great way to burn out and stop playing before the end, don't think I'll be doing that. Especially if those mirages are more easily obtainable later on :stare:

Sounds like you haven't been reading enough gamefaqs!

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Scrap Dragon posted:

The point is supposed to be that it's hopeless. Getting picked as l'cie is not good.

ImpAtom posted:

There is. There are several assured spawn spots and I think they show in the Colosseum too after a certain point.

Think of Sentinel as "Defend."

Those are the adult forms tho, and grinding a grown-up shiva down to the little or medium one for stack flexibility takes long no matter what. I got the mini guys to level 16 (enough to transfig to medium form) in 5 or so battles in the area where they spawn and it's really nice to have the flexibility early in the game. I have firaga, for example, going into the ice zone in chap 7 and was able to two-shot the boss of that area and have already beat a bunch of the lvl 30ish colosseum fights with me around lvl 24

Shoren posted:

The first couple fights were tough but each one got my guys 2 or so levels. I had a stack with Fira by sticking a red captain with Tama and so that gave me the ability to do enough damage, and my other stack had cura from sticking a mirajewel on Reynn

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Suaimhneas posted:

Eh, you can just pick some weaker mirages if you don't want to be iverlevelled, plus there's basically a hidden or murkrift boss in each area for extra challenge. My challenge now is figuring out how to debuff myself so I don't oneshot stuff I'm trying to capture ;)

E: also I went a did a few story beats after each mini guy I captured so it wasn't just straight grinding. Gave me enough til to have several of each elemental and status item so I have a way to imprism almost everything I trip across.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Suaimhneas posted:

I would recommend going after Bablizz during the initial "Pokemon" choice, if only because of how well she combos with Ifrit, plus most bosses are susceptible to her slow spell. There are higher level versions of them obtainable about 40 hours in, once you have the airship.

There are plenty of early game captures that will break the game if you stack them right, like Black Chocochick (Haste and a nonlethal damage move that can be spammed to topple stacks), Paleberry's small form (Banish/Banishra), Holy Dragon (breaks rocks, bestows early game Holy/Holy mirajewel and downsizes into a medium Mist Dragon form) and Goblin Princess (best healer/support to combo with Jiant Reynn/Lann).

PS: Later murkrifts and secret fights are really loving tough due to gimmickry needed to cap them, even when overleveled. The Flan Princess/Molbor Menace fight comes to mind as they start stacked, the latter uses a version of bad breath that inflicts doom + everything else and the former spams berserk and requires all but one party member be dead before she can be capped.

Varance fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Oct 31, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
After two attempts I stopped trying to cap Flan Princess and instead capped her partner and took her down. Her requirement is just brutal and her memento lets you get her anyway.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I captured the Flan Princess on my second attempt by killing one stack, then I broke up the next one and had the two members cast haste and protect on Lann before they died Let me take a couple hits while I tossed prisms at her and I eventually got her.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost
Flan Princess/Menace: As soon as you trigger her imprism criteria, you can Phoenix Down your entire squad back to life without losing it. The easiest way to approach the fight is to unstack them, spam slow on Malboro Menace a couple of times to raise his capture rate, capture him, stick protect on your stacks, slow her, unstack, let her wipe 5 of your guys out (use magic to finish the job before she uses her berserk move), res as soon as she's prismable and finish the job.

It's a pain in the rear end to get her, but Fat Princess is worth it. She's able to cover 5 elements by default, all 8 elements with the right seeds, has healing and a passive skill that randomly makes your abilities cost 0 AP. Just... don't take gelatinous body on the Mini Flan board to avoid the magic vulnerability associated with flans.

Varance fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Oct 31, 2016

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

How do you transfigure? I moved across the board and unlocked the node but I don't know what to do to actually transform. I selected the next-level version and press "activate" but it gives me a "no" sound with no other feedback.

Have I just not unlocked transfiguration through story yet?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

bilperkins2 posted:

How do you transfigure? I moved across the board and unlocked the node but I don't know what to do to actually transform. I selected the next-level version and press "activate" but it gives me a "no" sound with no other feedback.

Have I just not unlocked transfiguration through story yet?

Access the Prism Case from a save point or gate and then press Options when the cursor is on whatever you unlocked a transfiguration for. If the two monsters are connected ability-wise, they will share their SP pool and have access to the other monster's non-green abilities on the ability menu. If the two monsters are in the same family but not connected ability-wise, when you transfigure over, you'll have all the SP you would have at that level as if you had spent none of it.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

I feel like there should be a woff thread, but maybe it's not a big enough deal.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

How does WoFF run on the vita? I have both consoles but would rather play it on the go

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I feel like there should be a woff thread, but maybe it's not a big enough deal.

Probably not, and if there was a dedicated thread it'd likely go dead as soon as FFXV dropped.

WoFF looks very cute but not like something I'd spend full price on.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

How does WoFF run on the vita? I have both consoles but would rather play it on the go

I haven't personally played the vita version but apparently it suffers from pretty significant frame drops.

On the positive side, the game works really well over remote play.

Nut Better
Feb 17, 2011

:same:

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Try the demo out. If you can handle the lower frame rate in that, you can handle the full game. The full game generally runs slightly better than the demo in my experience, but it will often drop to those levels. Other than bad frame rates, it plays just fine though. I definitely prefer having it on the go.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cleretic posted:

I'll say that as a kid, it took me about two hours to figure out how to even BEGIN the Wall Market trading quest sequence and it wasn't until I had teh Internet in my teens that I discovered you actually CAN go into the Honey Bee Inn. It was my least favorite part besides the intolerable Nibleheim flashback.

That said, I replayed up to that point within the past few years and it is so loving enjoyable on a story level now that I get all of the subtext. It's possibly one of the most surreal avenues the FF series has ever gone down, a sequence where a man desperately runs around improving the lives of everybody in this essentially back-alley blackmarket red light district in an attempt to acquire a dress and wig of suitable quality to enter into the mansion of a local rich playboy pervert.

In the process of this he visits a brothel where he can either potentially suffer a sexual indignity in the form of a burly muscle man gangbang or he can literally be driven momentarily insane by the shrieking voices of repressed memories.

Final Fantasy VII is loving weird and it's great. And this is the most mainstream-popular title at that!

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I got the first key in WoFF last night. I took a detour to pick up Phoenix by dropping an Elixir on it and just mashing Imprism until it took.

A while back, I think in the ice caves, there was a side path with an encounter against three Holy Dragons who destroyed me. Their imprism trigger was casting holy attacks on them - when's the soonest I can get something that I can use to go back and grab them? They were the only side path enemies that have given me any trouble.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Access the Prism Case from a save point or gate and then press Options when the cursor is on whatever you unlocked a transfiguration for. If the two monsters are connected ability-wise, they will share their SP pool and have access to the other monster's non-green abilities on the ability menu. If the two monsters are in the same family but not connected ability-wise, when you transfigure over, you'll have all the SP you would have at that level as if you had spent none of it.

I just realized that this is a good way of getting a quick boost in your mirage's stats. I had unlocked mirage boards for those related species, but didn't know how to access them because I didn't expect you could transfigure except along the main evolution path. Unlocking nodes on the related mirage boards will carry across transfigurations, except for the green ones listed on their whole ability list.

Moldy Taxes posted:

I got the first key in WoFF last night. I took a detour to pick up Phoenix by dropping an Elixir on it and just mashing Imprism until it took.

A while back, I think in the ice caves, there was a side path with an encounter against three Holy Dragons who destroyed me. Their imprism trigger was casting holy attacks on them - when's the soonest I can get something that I can use to go back and grab them? They were the only side path enemies that have given me any trouble.

I'm just about to start for the first key and I used the only elixir I've gotten so far on a Magic Jar :negative:

If you have the preorder DLC, then go to the Coliseum and imprism the white chocobo. This can learn banish, which is a holy spell. That's the earliest I know about. Definitely do it because the holy dragon is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Moldy Taxes posted:

Baby Paleberries are available in that ice dungeon, I think, and they learn Banish which is the lowest level light spell. Alternately, at the point you're at, you might be able to buy Banish Seeds from Chocolatte.