Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Guys, just PM me directly; I'd rather not spam the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

mllaneza posted:

Count me in !

I haven't been this excited since I got a Jeff Conway autograph on his card from the B5 CCG.

Which one? Zack, Mister or Chief :v:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Holy poo poo this face

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Oh Jesus gently caress. Really? Wow.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Rumors, Bargains, and Lies": boy what a wacky episode :v: another one of those "boy I wish Star Trek could make people be this plausibly weird".

And it's not even like its post-2000s levels of gritty realism or anything; it's just, people are being people, acting like people, even when they're ad-lobbing or breaking the fourth wall (Sheridan pounding the table and Ivanova shrieking comes to mind). Sci-fi really needs to be fun sometimes.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

mojo1701a posted:

Oh Jesus gently caress. Really? Wow.

Still waiting for some context on this one.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I have to say, my favorite part of the Nightwatch plot is watching Zach Allen's face throughout as he realizes just how wacky these people are.

Nightwatch Leader: You know, watching these people through the security cameras... make you feel a bit like god, huh?
Zach: :stare:

Nightwatch Leader: All this evidence Clark killed Santiago is lies and unpatriotic. It was all the evil aliens!
Zach: :psyduck:

Zach: Wait, are we gonna start suspecting everyone? Even our own people?
Nightwatch Leader: Oh no, of course not. Nightwatch personnel are safe. Now, about your captain...
Zach: :stonk:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Something I was wondering—Garibaldi at one point mentions that Sheridan has had some "physiological changes" since getting back from the apostrophe planet. What changes? What am I missing?

Also, if he has spent the entirety of S4 under mind control that's going to be kind of a letdown, but I don't see what else it could be at this point.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Data Graham posted:

Something I was wondering—Garibaldi at one point mentions that Sheridan has had some "physiological changes" since getting back from the apostrophe planet. What changes? What am I missing?

Also, if he has spent the entirety of S4 under mind control that's going to be kind of a letdown, but I don't see what else it could be at this point.

There's a bit from the episode where they knock off Kosh's replacement where Sheridan says:

quote:

I had Franklin do a complete medscan. He found things in my neurosystem. Some kind of biochemical energy repairing and sustaining me.

I assume it's a reference to that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ah, okay. I thought it was gonna be one of those things where his eyes were green now instead of blue or whatever and everybody is all like :byodood: its like he's a whole different person but I never would have noticed in a million years.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Okay never mind, that was handled pretty well :buddy:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Garibaldi also has issues of his own at this point iirc.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ah yes, "Intersections in Real Time". I remember seeing this one back when it aired; hell of a thing to just dip into the series cold with, huh?

Nice directing, nice montages, nice camera work (I also mean this for the scene in a previous episode where Garibaldi traps Sheridan in the bar. And it does "interrogation episode" well, possibly better than the THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS ep of Trek, though it does feel a lot more like a "human" story rather than a "sci-fi" story. Not a bad thing.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It's definitely better than Chain of Command; you don't "win" interrogations by being a badass prisoner like Picard does.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It could only have been better if they'd managed to get Patrick McGoohan in to be one of the interrogators (I believe this was a plan they had)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Tsaedje posted:

It could only have been better if they'd managed to get Patrick McGoohan in to be one of the interrogators (I believe this was a plan they had)

That was Knight Two (first offered to Koenig, who was ill) in And the Sky Full of Stars

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's definitely better than Chain of Command; you don't "win" interrogations by being a badass prisoner like Picard does.

...you know the whole point of "Chain of Command" was the scene at the end where Picard admits he really did see five lights, yeah?

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

To be fair, everyone forgets that he saw five lights by the end.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Both episodes are good but David Warner and Patrick Stewart in a room together is just magical.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

quote:

"And here was Marcus. And I knew he'd never hurt me, and I knew he'd never leave me. And I knew he loved me. I knew it. I just didn't want to admit it. And he gave so much and he wanted so little in return, and he just wanted a kind word, or, or a smile, and all I ever gave him in two years was grief. And I think it's because I saw what I wanted, and I was afraid..."
"But you knew it wasn't gonna work out. You were just protecting yourself from being hurt again, that's all."
"Maybe, but... maybe I should have just tried one more time. I could have done that for him. Now I can't. ...At least I should have boffed him just once."

Whoa whoa whoa WHOA WHOA what the gently caress am I watching :catstare: :printercarry:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And they follow it up immediately with Londo and G'Kar dishing about premature ejaculation? Jesus, is this what happens when you keep tying off your main storyline before you're out of episodes?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Haha loool

Yeah, talk about a goofy-rear end victory lap. But once again that wasn't even the final episode of the season...

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
JMS thought they were going to be cancelled after Season 4, so he wrapped up the civil war arc early so the show could have some decent closure instead of ending on a cliffhanger ("Intersections in Real Time").

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Does anyone else get the impression that Delenn - at least at one point - was intended to be a low-level telepath?

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

JMS thought they were going to be cancelled after Season 4, so he wrapped up the civil war arc early so the show could have some decent closure instead of ending on a cliffhanger ("Intersections in Real Time").

Also, as part of that decent closure the last episode of season 4 was filmed as proper final send-off. When they got picked up for a fifth season, that meant filming a new not-final-send-off episode for season 4, and moving the real send-off to the end of season 5. This all sounds much worse than it is, by the way, do not be alarmed. :)

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Yeah, honestly, B5 had some real production snafus and it's kind of a miracle it turned out and ended as amazing as it did.(first half of season 5 not withstanding)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Data Graham posted:

Whoa whoa whoa WHOA WHOA what the gently caress am I watching :catstare: :printercarry:

This scene is a little weird, but I don't think it's as bad as you're making it out to be. Like, it's totally legit for Ivanova to be acting kind of strangely given what just happened and what Marcus was willing to do. That kind of thing would gently caress anyone up and it makes sense that she'd be seriously reevaluating their relationship in maybe not a totally reasonable and rational way.

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

Just started a rewatch for the first time in about 15 years. drat I love this show but it's terribly dated sometimes, but I find that to be part of its charm.

I also just finished Believers from season 1. It's pretty bad with the whole cliche of religion won't let science save a life thing, but I like that they show Franklin to be just as much of a stubborn rear end as the parents.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Just started my very first whole-series rewatch, after originally watching the series new back when it originally aired. It starts off pretty slow, but I just made it to Signs and Portents and that's about where I was like 'oh yeah, that's why I loved this show so much.'

Going to try to rope some other people around here into watching it too, it's been slowly working its way through my friend circle like a virus. One friend started watching it, they got someone else to watch it, that person got me to watch it, etc.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Please tell me Elon Musk is in your circle of friends so we can finally get the drat remaster after he loves it and shovels 100 million to WB or whoever.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Please tell me Elon Musk is in your circle of friends so we can finally get the drat remaster after he loves it and shovels 100 million to WB or whoever.

Considering how primitive the visuals are I'm surprised they haven't just contracted it out to a college for graphics design/animation courses.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Party Plane Jones posted:

Considering how primitive the visuals are I'm surprised they haven't just contracted it out to a college for graphics design/animation courses.

That really doesn't sound like a remaster we'd like.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Dirty posted:

That really doesn't sound like a remaster we'd like.

You'd be surprised. This is by one guy (for the most part) and it's pretty decent looking.

https://vimeo.com/108650530

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Heh, "Deconstruction of Falling Stars" is quite the meta-story.

quote:

DEDICATED TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO PREDICTED THAT THE BABYLON PROJECT WOULD FAIL IN ITS MISSION. FAITH MANAGES.

quote:

On the one hand, it is a statement of hope to anyone else out there who has a dream, to follow it no matter who speaks against you, no matter the odds, no matter what they say to or about you, no matter what roadblocks they throw in your way. What matters is that you remain true to your vision.

On the other hand, for the reviewers and the pundits and the critics and the net-stalkers who have done nothing but rag on this show for five years straight, it is also a giant middle finger composed of red neon fifty stories tall, that will burn forever in the night.

In billiards, we call that a bank shot.

:golfclap:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Though it's also a pretty unenviable position to be in, writing-wise, to find yourself with no option but to write a stunt episode that projects the story into the future even though the series itself isn't over. It isn't the first time the show has tipped its hand about future events (the Londo/G'Kar flash-forward thing was a head-fake), but this one sort of gives away that there aren't any huge new things coming in S5... I guess?

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 1, 2016

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Does anyone else get the impression that Delenn - at least at one point - was intended to be a low-level telepath?

She's from the religious caste - I've always viewed her as kind of a sage with foresight with future event knowledge was provided by the time-loop prophet, their "Elijah", Valen.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Isn't it weird how the one race that has legit prophets are the Centauri, who weren't visited by the Vorlons?

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Data Graham posted:

Though it's also a pretty unenviable position to be in, writing-wise, to find yourself with no option but to write a stunt episode that projects the story into the future even though the series itself isn't over. It isn't the first time the show has tipped its hand about future events (the Londo/G'Kar flash-forward thing was a head-fake), but this one sort of gives away that there aren't any huge new things coming in S5... I guess?

To answer that, the phrase, "takes the wind out of the sails" comes to mind.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

First episode of S5, when the message comes in that's all "Good morning Mr. President, you are a dead man", I wanted him to just, like, take a sip of coffee and go "Next message"

Also lol @ G'Kar's "short short version" of the oath.

It'll be tough for the show to regain its momentum, especially with Ivanova gone. Looking forward to seeing how successful it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Party Plane Jones posted:

You'd be surprised. This is by one guy (for the most part) and it's pretty decent looking.

https://vimeo.com/108650530

I'm not saying there aren't some incredibly talented people out there. I'm talking about needing a number of them, and enforcing a consistent look and style to avoid a bunch of differing interpretations.

I actually considered remaking the FX for one episode myself. Got well into building a B5 model. Problem is, while I knew I could probably make something better-looking than the original (thanks to 20 years of technology improvements) it probably wouldn't stand up to scrutiny by current standards, and in some ways actually be more jarring than the 90s FX we've got now. That's the kind of bar you're up against - it can't just be better, it has to be consistently good, or people will just prefer the originals.