Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This. We're finally getting sonic 4, essentially

Nah. We're getting a side game, something that revisits a bunch of stuff as well as giving us some new levels, a celebration of the classic series, but it isn't going to advance the series in a way that the next numbered Sonic should (and Sonic 4 didn't).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

sonic advance is sonic the hedgehog 4, to me

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Sonic Advance has Amy Rose playable so I have to agree.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

So does Sonic Boom

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I'd love to see playable Amy in a game running in this engine. Just give her the running hammer high jump and make her a little slower, maybe make a few switches or some see-saws that are hammer activated, and she'd be more than unique enough to justify her existence.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

While looking at the NicoNico 25th Anniversary stream for footage to use in a secret project I discovered there's a Sonic Cafe here in Japan. I could, in theory, go and drink "Experimental Solution from Tails' Lab" and eat "Shadow's Black Curry" and obtain a Sonic Drift 2 coaster. They also announced a Sonic Fan Thanksgiving event at Joypolis on Dec 23rd, so maybe I'll go there and get Iizuka to sign a Mario ad again.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

you should do all of those things

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

While looking at the NicoNico 25th Anniversary stream for footage to use in a secret project I discovered there's a Sonic Cafe here in Japan. I could, in theory, go and drink "Experimental Solution from Tails' Lab" and eat "Shadow's Black Curry" and obtain a Sonic Drift 2 coaster. They also announced a Sonic Fan Thanksgiving event at Joypolis on Dec 23rd, so maybe I'll go there and get Iizuka to sign a Mario ad again.

I think it is very important for you to try the cafe's chili dog and report how it compares to a standard western chili dog.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

So does Sonic Boom

Sonic boom came after

it has advanced literally nothing and made our society so very less with its presence.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine

Dresh posted:

I think it is very important for you to try the cafe's chili dog and report how it compares to a standard western chili dog.

Nobody knows; in true Sonic style the staff invents a crisis every time a customer is about to bite into one.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
They should make another Sonic 3D Blast.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

They should make another Sonic 3D Blast.

That Lego Dimension Sonic crossover thing looks a lot like Sonic 3D Blast (and it's by the same developer, even).

Dresh posted:

Someone in the retro thread posted a trip report with pictures.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Stairmaster posted:

Sonic boom came after

it has advanced literally nothing and made our society so very less with its presence.

Counterpoint: Knuckles.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Who ready for the next Sonic movie

https://twitter.com/NinWire/status/793517564324352004

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

I am.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine

Jarogue posted:

next Sonic movie
what was the preceding sonic movie?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 1, 2016

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uijpNbCkTqo

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So what was the explanation for Knuckles' hat

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

He wanted to look fancy

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Calaveron posted:

I think it was something like

Echidnas are from Australia->Crocodile Dundee->Hat

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Was there a "that's not a noife, this is a noife" scene for added authenticity?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Calaveron posted:

What do you mean "explanation"?

One may as well ask why does sonic go fast?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i think about this scene a lot

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

sharrrk posted:

i think about this scene a lot

My! Man! Cool!

:yeah:

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
There was also this.. questionable short movie, even though it was a fan production. Not that I expect an actual proper movie to be this quality (hopefully.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtCtQpclpY8

It has Jaleel White voicing Sonic, which is probably as "official" as it could get without straight-up having Roger Craig Smith or something.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Show some respect & link to that video instead of embedding it imho

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I got lost in thought admiring the really cool details in this cover again such as knuckles having half of a head, Sonic's head being made of stars and tails' shoes being unfinished drawings and I got to thinking...was this the last unironic laser grid background home video cover of the 90s?

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Sailor Dave posted:

There was also this.. questionable short movie, even though it was a fan production. Not that I expect an actual proper movie to be this quality (hopefully.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtCtQpclpY8

It has Jaleel White voicing Sonic, which is probably as "official" as it could get without straight-up having Roger Craig Smith or something.

I refuse to admit that this actually exists.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

big jon streamed a speedrun of all the canonical sonic games (plus spinball and 3d blast) while getting all the chaos emeralds the other day. took like 6 hours.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Link that poo poo.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Mr Phillby posted:

Link that poo poo.

https://www.twitch.tv/gamej06/v/97821027

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

big jon streamed a speedrun of all the canonical sonic games (plus spinball and 3d blast) while getting all the chaos emeralds the other day. took like 6 hours.

Define canonical.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

That Lego Dimension Sonic crossover thing looks a lot like Sonic 3D Blast (and it's by the same developer, even).

Someone in the retro thread posted a trip report with pictures.

And after a bit of searching I found the right page. Glad that's one mystery solved.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

How does sonic canon work anyways? Is there a defined system for it, where like the games overrule the tv shows, and those overrule the comics, or something?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Well you hop into it at the end of Carnival Night Zone and then get shot over to Ice Cap Zone

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The games are canon (but only the ones I like), ignore all the other bullshit.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Each series has its own canon. Games have their own canon, Boom has its own canon, the comics have their own canon, each individual tv show has its own canon, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Every game takes place in its own unique canon; absolutely no interactivity between games is present despite any claims to the contrary