Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The tonal shift from Warhead - being future jungle warrior Jason Statham - to Crysis 2 gives me whiplash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

poptart_fairy posted:

Well poo poo, I eat my hat then. No clue why I was only getting the cartoon up for google searches.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
That Crysis talk reminds me of the game The Fall, whose twist I really dug. Hardly a Little Thing, but whatever.

You're a robot suit dropped on a broken-robot-repair planet whose operator inside is injured, and you proceed to go through puzzles (and retraining as a domestic assistance bot) in order to get the overly-rigid robots to help your operator. In doing so, you're forced to disable all manner of never-harm-humans rules from your programming.

The twist is that there is no human inside you, that's why you were deposited into the broken robot repair planet. Worse, you've made yourself more broken because you've disabled everything that keeps you from harming others.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Metal Gear ripoff Spy Fiction.

I really liked how the disguise system in that game actually worked (it's a holographic camera that could only capture what it saw so you had to sneak around and photograph a target from multiple angles to get a complete disguise rather than a goofy looking partial one.) Shame the rest of the game was a mess.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Mokinokaro posted:

I really liked how the disguise system in that game actually worked (it's a holographic camera that could only capture what it saw so you had to sneak around and photograph a target from multiple angles to get a complete disguise rather than a goofy looking partial one.) Shame the rest of the game was a mess.

The disguise system in general was actually really cool and if there is any one thing I would have added to MGSV it would have been an improved version of that. Just let me copy dude's faces and pretend to be them. Playing with the camouflage and disguises in MGS3 and 4 was fun, I wish 5 took it to the next level or something.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I love Spy Fiction's opening level - you spend the entire level finding just the right angles to get the perfect disguise of the main villain, only for the real thing to walk in just as you are entering the room and go "Wait a minute... you're not me :smug:"

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I've never played Spy Fiction but if it ever gets a PC port I would totally drop up to :10bux: on it just because SWERY directed it.

I would finally understand that one set of Spy Fiction costumes you can unlock for everyone in D4! :kimchi:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
One of the boss fights in Paper Mario Colorsplash is a steak.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

CJacobs posted:

Crysis 3 continues this craziness by having you actually be playing as the nanosuit, controlled by the consciousness of a character from the previous games, with Crysis 2's protagonist's corpse still assimilated inside it. Like, the only other video game I have ever seen do something like that is SOMA, which is, y'know, a horror game.

edit: And in fact, Crysis 3 is so strangely similar to SOMA in that way that the ending almost pulls SOMA's opening plot U-turn in reverse. The game reveals near the end that the suit has gained the ability to shapeshift, and so it takes on Prophet's original human appearance while still retaining its powers. At the very end, they go so far as to say that the suit has improved itself so much since Crysis 2 that it can change its physical form into literally anything. The plot in those games is just nuts, man.

I believe this is also the plot of The Tuxedo, starring Jackie Chan.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I have Crysis installed but I can't see any compelling reason to play more than ten minutes, as the two things I know about it are that it has purdy graphics and that it shits itself when the aliens show up.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Crysis 1 (and warhead) are awesome, though? The aliens are a bit of a step down, but it's probably one of the best shooters ever.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Crysis warhead is quite fun and still looks great.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The first Crysis is still fairly unique in that it came out right before the genre bisected itself between corridor shooters and open world games, so it's a shooter with a linear progression of levels but the levels are huge open jungle environments with a ton of freedom to move and progress how you like with the help of your powers.

Plus it's one of those rare games where the higher difficulty level does unique stuff like make the enemies speak Korean so you can't understand their combat chatter or removing the ability to drive and man a turret at the same time.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I finished Paper Mario Color Splash. Game isn't as good as the old ones, but it's a big step up from Sticker Star.
Final Boss was actually pretty entertaining, and unlike the previous game - I didn't have to reset a thousand times because he doesn't really need any "Things" and the new battle spinner lets you more or less buy a card every turn and it just got really down to the wire.
He also really tests your abilities unlike Sticker Stars - "bring everything and hope you get it right" final boss battle so it feels satisfying beating him.

Looking back, only beef I really have with this game is the rock,paper,scissor tournaments and 90% of the npcs are the same different colored toads, only way to really tell them apart is by their facial expression or wearing sunglasses, or very rarely, a different set of clothes.

No mustaches either so no Toadsworth - but Mario Kart is okay to reference, they even bring up the Luigi death glare.

scarycave has a new favorite as of 02:13 on Oct 31, 2016

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Even though it's not terribly broad, the Avatar Creator in MGSV deserves points for being a face creator in a video-game that's actually easy to use. It's not high praise but trying to make someone in Fallout or Dark Souls is a chore because moving one slider moves three others, and you never know how many notches on a slider exist.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The in-game advertising and building fronts in Prototype are down to earth and rather realistic, never feeling like the more generic or joke-referential like a GTA came would do. It reminds me a lot if Burnout: Paradise, in that respect.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Even though it's not terribly broad, the Avatar Creator in MGSV deserves points for being a face creator in a video-game that's actually easy to use. It's not high praise but trying to make someone in Fallout or Dark Souls is a chore because moving one slider moves three others, and you never know how many notches on a slider exist.

Sliders shouldn't have notches. They should be vague, soft things like jamming your fingers into a ball of clay. Personally Oblivion still has one of my favorite character creators because I could, easily, make a dude with an inside out face. Can't do that in vanilla skyrim.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Why are Prototype and Prototype 2 still like 20 and 40 dollars?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Why are Prototype and Prototype 2 still like 20 and 40 dollars?

Because Activision never drops anything in price if they can avoid it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They also just got re-released this year.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

spooky like this! posted:

They also just got re-released this year.

They got re-released in July of 2015 actually.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Nuebot posted:

Personally Oblivion still has one of my favorite character creators ....

False.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qo1Aj_leEo

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Because Activision never drops anything in price if they can avoid it.

Yeah, a lot of the CoD games (you know, that series that they make a new game for every year and as such the community in the older games move on to the new ones and die out?) are still shockingly expensive. For example, the latest game (that isn't the one coming out in a few days) is Black Ops 3 at 60 bucks. Guess what Black Ops 2 is? Its also 60 bucks. The first Blops game from 6 years ago is still FOURTY. None of the CoD games go below 20 bucks, including the first one that came out 13 years ago. AAA titles from anywhere else drop in prices faster then Activision games.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
In an Indie Metroidvania game I got on Steam a few days ago, Ghost 1.0, you have a skill tree system. Some of the skills are objectively bad (as in, makes the healing/ammo items you get from destroying stuff despawn rather than stick around forever bad), some are really good or convenient (double jump), and some are situational, like one tree that is mostly dedicated to one of the game's mechanics, alarm battles. Because while the game has standard Metroidvania flare it is also part roguelike if you choose, allowing you to keep exploration and story progress but lose all items if you die, and randomizing what items you find where (none are required for progression, thankfully), you need a way to get money quick, so the alarm battles pit you against waves of enemies for a length of time, and rewards you with money at the end. The skill tree in question has a massive effect on these battles, causing effects like a 15% chance that an enemy dies instantly on spawn, or spawns without weapons, or every 4 seconds there will be an attempt to switch an enemy to your side, or just blow them up for extra money. Outside of these battles these skills are useless, so while they are great for when they work they have no use in boss battles or exploration.

The really nice thing is that if you spent a lot of skillpoints on this tree it comes into play during the final boss battle, which is like a several minute long version of those battles, with even more enemies.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Leal posted:

Yeah, a lot of the CoD games (you know, that series that they make a new game for every year and as such the community in the older games move on to the new ones and die out?) are still shockingly expensive. For example, the latest game (that isn't the one coming out in a few days) is Black Ops 3 at 60 bucks. Guess what Black Ops 2 is? Its also 60 bucks. The first Blops game from 6 years ago is still FOURTY. None of the CoD games go below 20 bucks, including the first one that came out 13 years ago. AAA titles from anywhere else drop in prices faster then Activision games.

At least they put their stuff on sale constantly, and if you hunt around you can get some ok deals. Otoh, I'm pretty sure that Deadpool game will never ever go on sale for lower than $20.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

MisterBibs posted:

The in-game advertising and building fronts in Prototype are down to earth and rather realistic, never feeling like the more generic or joke-referential like a GTA came would do. It reminds me a lot if Burnout: Paradise, in that respect.

Wasn't it also the case that, for a while after release, some advertising was actually for real world stuff, and changed every now and then?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

graybook posted:

Wasn't it also the case that, for a while after release, some advertising was actually for real world stuff, and changed every now and then?

I want to say you're right, but I have an equally tenuous memory of some game trying that and the developers backing out of the idea because people bitched. Could've been Prototype, could've been another game, I dunno.

I think the only real world advertising in Prototype is Gamestop stuff, which honestly feels less like in-game advertising and more like "Yeah, Gamestop would've had a decent advertising budget at that time in NY".

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 10:03 on Oct 31, 2016

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

John Murdoch posted:

At least they put their stuff on sale constantly, and if you hunt around you can get some ok deals. Otoh, I'm pretty sure that Deadpool game will never ever go on sale for lower than $20.

I got that for $2.50 on steam over a year before the movie came out. They just re-released an old game to tie into the movie. It's not very good if it's an consolation. I had more fun with the Wolverine: Origins beat-em-up.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

I want to say you're right, but I have an equally tenuous memory of some game trying that and the developers backing out of the idea because people bitched. Could've been Prototype, could've been another game, I dunno.

No idea about Prototype, but the first Crackdown game and Saints Row 2 (at least, on 360) had a few bilboards that advertised real life products, movies and stuff.

In SR2, they're the only billboards you can't destroy :v:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

jojoinnit posted:

I had more fun with the Wolverine: Origins beat-em-up.

Now that is an under-rated game. Being hacked up to just an angry metal skeleton and then regenerating back to Hugh Jackman was a cool effect.

Really scratches the same itch as Revengeance.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Now that is an under-rated game. Being hacked up to just an angry metal skeleton and then regenerating back to Hugh Jackman was a cool effect.

Really scratches the same itch as Revengeance.

It's more of a God of War clone, it isn't good enough to be a Revengeance clone.

But yeah, it was much better than it had any right to be, largely because it was rated higher than the movie it was based on and thus could be as violent as the character deserved.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The thing about the game is that it did not start out as a movie tie in. It was originally just an unrelated Wolverine game that was looking good so they kind of crammed the movie stuff in there.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

graybook posted:

Burnout Paradise had real world ads at some point for sure. I remember seeing a screenshot with Obama ad in local computers magazine.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
In the Deadpool game you get an achievement if you spend long enough slapping an unconscious Wolverine.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

No idea about Prototype, but the first Crackdown game and Saints Row 2 (at least, on 360) had a few bilboards that advertised real life products, movies and stuff.

I remember returning to crackdown years after it was relevant, and being a little weirded out that I had to download an update for Halo 3(?) DLC billboards.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Im pretty sure I saw Tropic Thunder posters in Rainbow Six Vegas

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There was a brief period in the mid-2000s where everyone was sure that in-game billboards were the next big goldmine. Turned out that when viewers had control over where their attention is directed, they weren't going to direct it to ads, so they just functioned as distractions.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

I think Dead Rising 2 had the same gimmick, but they eventually all turned to ads for Playboy and stopped updating.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

haveblue posted:

There was a brief period in the mid-2000s where everyone was sure that in-game billboards were the next big goldmine. Turned out that when viewers had control over where their attention is directed, they weren't going to direct it to ads, so they just functioned as distractions.

No, they were just an experiment that was designed to make games cheaper to make since you could get some easy ad money and the consumer wouldn't give a poo poo. The big "experiments" were when things like Prince of Persia: Sands of Time were released for free but with ads during intro and load screens that were unskippable. People just found a way to remove those and get a free game though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MrJacobs posted:

No, they were just an experiment that was designed to make games cheaper to make since you could get some easy ad money and the consumer wouldn't give a poo poo. The big "experiments" were when things like Prince of Persia: Sands of Time were released for free but with ads during intro and load screens that were unskippable. People just found a way to remove those and get a free game though.

I mean companies like Massive that facilitated incorporating actual billboards into the gameworld. Microsoft bought them for a ridiculous amount of money and then it turned out that not only did gamers hate it but in-game ads weren't cost-effective compared to other channels anyway so the whole idea quietly disappeared.

There were other experiments, though, yeah. I spent hours trying to win MS funbux in 1 vs 100 and got really tired of seeing the same Sprite and Transformers 2 commercials :allears: