Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DoubleCakes posted:

I don't tune in to WHM Mailbags for terrifying stories like that Blade 2 one.

I exclusively tune in for terrifying stories of human anguish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

TetsuoTW posted:

Alright I'll rephrase - who gives a gently caress as long as the hosts can be funny around it?

I agree, which is why it was terrible compared to something like the pizza rolls with Italian dressing story where they actually had an opportunity to be funny about how creepy it was instead of sitting in abject horror at listening to the first act of an Eli Roth movie.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Guy Mann posted:

I agree, which is why it was terrible compared to something like the pizza rolls with Italian dressing story where they actually had an opportunity to be funny about how creepy it was instead of sitting in abject horror at listening to the first act of an Eli Roth movie.

What was that one?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I can totally see that Brown Bunny story happening, even if it's fake.
I think maybe I made it sound too much like I saw these movies as a little kid whereas it was more like 11-17

Punkin Spunkin posted:

"Jesus Christ is a vicious night spirit"- Eric Szyszka

Also my dad snuck me into The Brown Bunny and I once watched Irreversible and also Visitor Q with my parents so I think I might be able to beat that cosmic exception
My dad's a huge intellectual film snob and both my parents were the intelligentsia types so yeahhhhh. I've seen some weird rear end movies with my parents

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

You really need to write in, they're gonna poo poo themselves at that

thrawn527 posted:

Yes, do this, please.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Haha, your parents suck

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I refuse to live in a world where The GameMaster didn't happen

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visitor_Q

:stare:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

<all the button emotes at once>

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Haha, your parents suck
Call me bruce batman

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Told ya.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

That's even worse than I expected. That's almost as bad as the plot description for Serbian Film. Jesus.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Of course it's Shungicu Uchida in it. I love her work but it's 100% not surprising she's in that.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
so i love to rewatch the boondock saints 2 review because it sounds like they where making fun of alt right before it became a thing.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
After listening to the mailbag, I wish I could change my username to 'Unusually red balls'.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

enigmahfc posted:

After listening to the mailbag, I wish I could change my username to 'Unusually red balls'.

How red we talking? Like a clown nose?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

enigmahfc posted:

Be the change you want to see.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Scratchman Apoo posted:

How red we talking? Like a clown nose?

Very Infectious rash.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

I started a thread for weird, overly detailed spergy fanfic masquerading as plot wiki synopses. This is a prime candidate. I think the thread was archived.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

I started a thread for weird, overly detailed spergy fanfic masquerading as plot wiki synopses. This is a prime candidate. I think the thread was archived.

Their bit about IMDB crediting fan films and crappy YouTube shows alongside actual movies and TV shows really hit home when I looked up Danny Elfman and a disgusting amount of his page was people who stole his music for their video series trying to promote themselves.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Guy Mann posted:

IMDB crediting fan films and crappy YouTube shows

The work of makers or completist fans?

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Guy Mann posted:

Their bit about IMDB crediting fan films and crappy YouTube shows alongside actual movies and TV shows really hit home when I looked up Danny Elfman and a disgusting amount of his page was people who stole his music for their video series trying to promote themselves.

To be fair those are almost certainly added by obsessive fans rather than the creators themselves.
A few of the creators I follow have in the past made fun of their weird fan-created IMDB pages with their often hilariously overestimated budgets. I think at one point Allison Pregler was listed as having an estimated budget of $10,000.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 30, 2016

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2zAR8vbfIw

Listeners request month can't come fast enough.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Please, Howling II. I actually liked the JonTron episode, which is rare.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Catching up, but I was surprised at the idea so many of y'all consider the WHM guys to be a "boy's club" thing. They've always struck me as fairly feminist, just not in the "look at me, I'm so noble" sort of way. They're always quick to call out gross behavior towards ladies. They've certainly never irked me.

Also, Yoda Man was my favorite part of that TCM movie and I'm so happy they recognized him as the best character. There's zero indication he's not a prop dummy before he just gets up and peaces out.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
They're a boys club in that they have a "NO GIRLS ALLOWED" sign posted on the door to the studio they record in.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Das Boo posted:

Catching up, but I was surprised at the idea so many of y'all consider the WHM guys to be a "boy's club" thing. They've always struck me as fairly feminist, just not in the "look at me, I'm so noble" sort of way. They're always quick to call out gross behavior towards ladies. They've certainly never irked me.

Also, Yoda Man was my favorite part of that TCM movie and I'm so happy they recognized him as the best character. There's zero indication he's not a prop dummy before he just gets up and peaces out.

I agree, it's actually a relief. Not only are they rightly disgusted by the reddity "Ghostbusters killed my childhood" poo poo but you can always count on them to notice when a female character is underwritten or a plot point is sexist. Shame how they can never eat Doritos anymore though.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
As a nerd, it's really nice listening to other funny nerds who aren't severely sexist/racist/anything else. I'm glad their Patreon has been so successful.

MariusLecter posted:

They're a boys club in that they have a "NO GIRLS ALLOWED" sign posted on the door to the studio they record in.

MOM YOU CAN'T COME IN, YOU'RE NOT A SHIELD AGENT!

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I am white as a sheet after listening to that last mailbag letter.

publishko
Feb 16, 2014

Soup du Jour posted:

This was the first mail bag episode I've listened to and it was so unexpectedly terrifying coming from a WHM episode, typically a very consistent source of comfort, that it made it 10x more disturbing. It also kinda made me want to watch Blade 2 which I've never seen before so that's kinda cool and weird.

Mailbag is awesome in general though and I don't know why I was such a dummy and skipped out on them

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Soup du Jour posted:

How dare you drive a tiny baby wild with desire?

Sorry, just had to rechill my bones a bit.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Ror posted:

How dare you drive a tiny baby wild with desire?

Sorry, just had to rechill my bones a bit.

I just re-listened to that episode, and, boy that movie is horrifying.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

publishko posted:

This was the first mail bag episode I've listened to and it was so unexpectedly terrifying coming from a WHM episode, typically a very consistent source of comfort, that it made it 10x more disturbing. It also kinda made me want to watch Blade 2 which I've never seen before so that's kinda cool and weird.

Mailbag is awesome in general though and I don't know why I was such a dummy and skipped out on them

You gotta listen to the one in which they read a letter from a Batman v Superman fanboy.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I just re-listened to that episode, and, boy that movie is horrifying.

Blame It On Rio had (maybe still has) a horribly detailed fanfic "synopsis" in Wikipedia.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Howling 2 is the actual worst movie of all time. I'd much rather them do The Love Guru.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I agree, it's actually a relief. Not only are they rightly disgusted by the reddity "Ghostbusters killed my childhood" poo poo but you can always count on them to notice when a female character is underwritten or a plot point is sexist. Shame how they can never eat Doritos anymore though.

Legit, not only are they better about sexism than a majority of online presences, they deal with LGBT stuff in a way that warms my heart. They are my fave podcast not only for content, but how they handle themselves.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Das Boo posted:

They're a boys club in that they're a bunch of old friends hanging out and drinking beers while laughing about bad movies. It just so happens that they're also not shitheads.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I was moreso referring to the discussion from a few pages back:

precision posted:

I have a feeling these guys probably have some extremely lovely fans.

well why not posted:

apart from us? yeah, definitely. This show is kind of a boy's club and I think misog' dudes gravitate to stuff like this.

Catfishenfuego posted:

Plus for all that the dudes seem like genuinely decent guys there's a bunch of rape/pedophilia jokes in like, 50% of the episodes.

Which I thought was surprising as they come off as pretty feminist to me. Another poster mentioned the jokes tend to not be at the expense of the victim, which might be why they never irk me? I dunno, I'd have to go out looking for specific examples. Regardless, I never feel like they're talking down to me for having a vag. That cannot be said of all media personalities. :smith:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
They are extremely feminist and progressive, which is great, but they are four dudes in their 30s who are fans of Star Trek and make a podcast where they drink beer and talk about lovely movies. I don't know what else there is to explain here.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I just figured the misog crowd would be turned off at all the jokes at their expense. Whatevs. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Das Boo posted:

I just figured the misog crowd would be turned off at all the jokes at their expense. Whatevs. :shrug:

Haha "misog crowd." That's great. I think some of these people are SO checked out that the progressivism flies over their heads until the gang does something overt enough for them to notice, like be wrong about a video game. From the mailbag episodes it certainly seems like they get a lot of missives directly from the bowels of reddit.