Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Battlefield 2142 had in-game ads for real-life products and services and it was terrible. The game was dope as gently caress though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Insomniac wanted to put a real PS2 into Ratchet's apartment in Ratchet and Clank Going Commando, but Sony wouldn't let them make it destructible because they're no fun. So instead they put in the ~Insomniac Game Pyramid~ which you can destroy.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 16:33 on Oct 31, 2016

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Remember when Crazy Taxi had KFC and Pizza Hut as destinations, rather than whatever lame generic jokes they have in every re-release? That was either the first, or the first super well know, product placement in a video game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The worst thing about the Wolverine game is that the Sabertooth boss fight in the very beginning is the best part of the game.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Len posted:

Im pretty sure I saw Tropic Thunder posters in Rainbow Six Vegas

I got Canadian Forces Recruitment ads in mine. Which is...either appropriate or ironic. Not sure

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
A couple really little things:

- In Saints Row 3 and I like the little hops your character does when throwing grenades

- In Civilization 6 when a cavalry unit takes damage or gets destroyed, it's only the riders that lie on the ground dead; the horses get up and run off. :3:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Atmus posted:

I think Dead Rising 2 had the same gimmick, but they eventually all turned to ads for Playboy and stopped updating.

so that's why they're everywhere!

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

When I played Crackdown there were some hilariously outdated car ads and that was it. It was pretty funny just because Crackdown is supposed to take place in the future but there were ads for
cars from like 2006 everywhere.

edit: I also mainly noticed these ads while running over hordes of people grinding up my driving rating too so that was funny

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Neito posted:

Remember when Crazy Taxi had KFC and Pizza Hut as destinations, rather than whatever lame generic jokes they have in every re-release? That was either the first, or the first super well know, product placement in a video game.

Yeah, but that made it awesome :colbert:. Well aside from the glorious soundtrack of course :rock:.

The HD Remaster is a sad, sad shell of it's former glory with the loss of both.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, but that made it awesome :colbert:. Well aside from the glorious soundtrack of course :rock:.

The HD Remaster is a sad, sad shell of it's former glory with the loss of both.

HEY HEY, COME ON OVER HAVE SOME FUN WITH CRAZY TAXI

*YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH* :rock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3GEK5q8yzM

I hope the HD remaster sold badly entirely because they couldn't be bothered to license the proper soundtrack.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Spalec posted:

*YA YA YA YA YA* :rock:

ftfy

On the subject of advertising in games, I believe Mortal Kombat 9 also had some of that as well. Went over about as well as the other examples listed in this thread iirc

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Spalec posted:

I hope the HD remaster sold badly entirely because they couldn't be bothered to license the proper soundtrack.

The proper soundtrack only has two songs the cheapskates.

SAID IT BEFORE I'LL SAY IT AGAIN IF YOU KEEP LISTENING IT MIGHT MAKE SENSE

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
native advertising in games is meant to feel more organic when you see it onscreen but sometimes it can take away from the experience. I remember playing multiplayer far cry 2 in a desert map with billboards full of "I'm a PC!" as the one blue object that stuck out on a mostly yellow brown level.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Neito posted:

That wasn't product placement - they PAID to be allowed to use the trademarks which is why they're missing from the HD remake

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I remember thinking that it was kind of cool being told to meet outside Burger King in Need for Speed since it felt more natural than 'go to the marker on your map'. Having The King as the best trainer in Fight Night Round 3 was rather forced, though.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Spalec posted:

Don't you know how expensive it would be to license four songs?!?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Action Tortoise posted:

native advertising in games is meant to feel more organic when you see it onscreen but sometimes it can take away from the experience. I remember playing multiplayer far cry 2 in a desert map with billboards full of "I'm a PC!" as the one blue object that stuck out on a mostly yellow brown level.

It was especially goofy in Enter the Matrix where the Matrix world apparently has a bunch of PowerAde vending machines everywhere.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

spooky like this! posted:

It was especially goofy in Enter the Matrix where the Matrix world apparently has a bunch of PowerAde vending machines everywhere.

Yeah, there's no way it could ever possibly work in any game that isn't set in the contemporary real world. The Matrix at least pretends to be that.

I do remember how amazingly mad people got over the Verizon poo poo in Alan Wake.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

haveblue posted:

Yeah, there's no way it could ever possibly work in any game that isn't set in the contemporary real world. The Matrix at least pretends to be that.

I do remember how amazingly mad people got over the Verizon poo poo in Alan Wake.

I don't remember the Verizon ads at all. I remember people bitching about them but I remember Energizer being the brand of choice for demon killing writers everywhere.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
And then in Life is Strange, doesn't the protagonist express a highly positive opinion of Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within? Bit late to be proper advertising but it's at least a tongue in cheek acknowledgment of a real life product.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
One of the later Guitar Heroes has a song intro where Ozzy Osborne rises out of the stage dramatically, right next to a day-glow orange AT&T billboard.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Len posted:

I don't remember the Verizon ads at all. I remember people bitching about them but I remember Energizer being the brand of choice for demon killing writers everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHhtKkFWHnY

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Atmus posted:

I think Dead Rising 2 had the same gimmick, but they eventually all turned to ads for Playboy and stopped updating.

No, there was never anything but Playboy posters.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
It is kind of funny how the tables have turned and now instead of advertising in games companies are referencing games in their own ads. So many awkward "we here at [fast food company] like Skyrim too! Buy our product!" stuff on Twitter as of late.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

No, there was never anything but Playboy posters.

Yeah, it was a designated cross-promotion and Playboy is even listed in the game's credits.

In Dead Rising 2: Off the Record all of the Playboy ads are now ads for the new space theme park section they added to the game.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

The Coke vending machines you see and cans you can pick up in Parasite Eve 2 were placed in fairly natural locations and, as the brand is so ubiquitous in real life, it being around made the setting a little more believable.
It was a decent healing item (PE2 had mineral water and such as MP healing and painkillers as HP) but nothing that was even close to 'the best'.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Has anyone ever successfully won a race with the Mercedes or whatever DLC carts in MK8?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Big Boss canonically inventing Mountain Dew and Doritos in Peace Walker will forever be the best product placement

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Big Boss canonically inventing Mountain Dew and Doritos in Peace Walker will forever be the best product placement

Also this apparent coincidence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNHm4u4Ssr0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrlQhklDjIs

..Spoiler alert?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

It is kind of funny how the tables have turned and now instead of advertising in games companies are referencing games in their own ads. So many awkward "we here at [fast food company] like Skyrim too! Buy our product!" stuff on Twitter as of late.

Yeah, it was a designated cross-promotion and Playboy is even listed in the game's credits.

In Dead Rising 2: Off the Record all of the Playboy ads are now ads for the new space theme park section they added to the game.

There were a ton of used car lots using pokemon go puns. It was unbearable

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
In Gran Turismo 5 and 6, there was one case where the billboards along the track actually add to the verisimilitude. At the Circuit de la Sarthe, they went through the trouble of including lots of posters for a local French government organization that you wouldn't see at any other venue in the game, but anybody who'd visited the real life location would recognize.

BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

I'm butter side up, baby.

Taco Defender
In Fable 3 you can marry people and make babies. You could marry lots of people at the same time, too! All you needed was a house to keep them in.

There were two very dangerous places to have families: the Palace, and the rich area called Millfields. The rich hoity-toity area of Millfields was dangerous because werewolves would spawn right outside the rich peoples' mansions for some reason. Kids would go out to play, the wife would go out to stroll around the beautiful lake... and get eaten, causing you to get a popup saying "Your wife has died and your children have been moved to the orphanage"

The palace was dangerous because when you had to make a Kingly decision it would move everyone in the palace into the throne room to hear your announcement. Then, once you'd passed judgment, it would despawn them, causing you to get a popup saying "Your wife has died and your children have been moved to the orphanage"

By the end of the game I'd gone through 30 wives and the orphanage was busting at the loving seams with potential heirs. I think there was even an achievement for killing enough spouses.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Neito posted:

Has anyone ever successfully won a race with the Mercedes or whatever DLC carts in MK8?

I liked using the one from like, the 30s or something. I don't remember it being very good, though.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

I've seen in-game advertising come both good and bad.

It worked fairly well in City of Heroes - there were already pre-existing billboards scattered. Since it was a modern (if fictionalized) city, so seeing a billboard for Coke or the new Tony Hawk game as you flew past was entirely natural. When the actual advertising money stopped, the billboards were just replaced with ads for in-game background companies, like personal injury attorneys that went after superpower-related accidents or superspeed-themed energy drinks. It worked pretty great, even if I doubt it was even slightly worthwhile in terms of advertising dollars.

The original Planetside, not so much. Sure, we're cloned space-soldiers fighting a future space-war on a distant planet. But while you're waiting for the dropship to get you from the hub area back out to the front lines, let's watch this ad for the new 2006 Toyota Yaris! Complete with sound (that you couldn't adjust) and bandwidth-chewing video. There were static ad images in most of the bases, too.

And this was before free-to-play was a thing, mind, so both of those were $15/month subscription services.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Neito posted:

Don't they have exactly the same stats as some regular carts? I never noticed them being particularly bad.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
wolfenstein:tno

replaying chapters keeps your upgrades. in the prologue you carry different guns from the later game, but I think the pistol has a unique suppressor from the one after the time skip, even though you get the upgrade after the prologue.

also whenever you pick up an assault rifle for the first time you immediately get 8 rpgs. felt good being able to drop the robopanther in the first jailbreak level when it was meant to be a harrowing setpiece chase.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

The point flags in Battlefield 1 actually react to the concussive blasts of grenades that explode in proximity to the point.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Tempest_56 posted:

It worked fairly well in City of Heroes - there were already pre-existing billboards scattered. Since it was a modern (if fictionalized) city, so seeing a billboard for Coke or the new Tony Hawk game as you flew past was entirely natural. When the actual advertising money stopped, the billboards were just replaced with ads for in-game background companies, like personal injury attorneys that went after superpower-related accidents or superspeed-themed energy drinks. It worked pretty great, even if I doubt it was even slightly worthwhile in terms of advertising dollars.

I liked that one of the in-game companies was called "City of Gyros."

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The Last Door: a point and click adventure game. I'm only a few episodes in but it does something I wish more games would copy: once you've been to a room, you can double-click on the door to it to warp into it. No waiting for the dude to walk across the room when you're backtracking to look for clues, just a series of clicks and warps and you're back to grab something you missed.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
In Stardew Valley there's an Animal Crossing-esque system where you can dig up artifacts and minerals to donate to a museum and sell them for cash. You can also buy a coop to raise chickens and upgrade it with an incubator so you can hatch their eggs.

One of the artifacts you can find is a dinosaur egg, and if you put it in the incubator then you can raise a baby dinosaur :iia: :yoshi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

Don't they have exactly the same stats as some regular carts? I never noticed them being particularly bad.

They always felt very sluggish and slippery to me, but I could just be wrong.