Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I've looked into this in the past and the answer I came away with was "no". I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had better luck than I have.

The LG Stylo 2 has an easy mode that has large icons, large text, and modified launcher that is nothing but icons with no widgets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm interested in a dedicated navigation app since I'd like to have offline maps (Google Maps is very limited here) and lane assist (HERE doesn't offer this). The two apps that seem to get mentioned most are Sygic and Copilot, has anyone here had experience with either? Sygic is having a sale right now so I'm leaning towards that at the moment.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Incessant Excess posted:

I'm interested in a dedicated navigation app since I'd like to have offline maps (Google Maps is very limited here) and lane assist (HERE doesn't offer this). The two apps that seem to get mentioned most are Sygic and Copilot, has anyone here had experience with either? Sygic is having a sale right now so I'm leaning towards that at the moment.

Have you tried Google Maps' offline areas recently? I don't use them at all but I know they've made a lot of changes and now they're at least easily managed in the sidebar. I'd be surprised if they're still as bad as they were a year ago.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
At the next junction, use the left-hand lane to take the exit to your destination.

(three seconds later)

At the roundabout, use the right-hand lane to take the third exit to your destination.

Paraphrased, but every single navigation app ever needs something contextual like Take the next exit and prepare to bear right inbetween these instructions, so you're not doing the absolute last-second lane-switch dance across traffic.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
That's why I always turn off voice navigation and mainly just look at where the line on the map goes and figure it out for myself.

Though I mainly use navigation when traveling on the interstate in the Midwest, so things don't get too complicated.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I like voice navigation but Google Maps in particular would sometimes give me directions as I was already taking a turn, making it kinda useless.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
I'm having a problem and I wonder if anyone else has experienced it, and if there is a way around it. I'm in the UK.

I have a £25 Google Play balance (from a Gift card), but Google will not let me use it to purchase apps unless I verify my identity by uploading my passport. This is apparently because my account is "suspended pending ID verification" as part of their Money Laundering obligations. I am somewhat reluctant to provide them with these documents (they are somewhat evasive when I asked why I, specifically, am being asked for this info, when no one else I know with a Google Play acct ever has been).

I've barely ever used my Google account to buy anything. I paid for WhatsApp in 2014, another game in 2012. Then, the only other payments are from 2007/09 (PC Parts using Google Checkout).

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 251 days!)

Ewan posted:

I've barely ever used my Google account to buy anything. I paid for WhatsApp in 2014, another game in 2012. Then, the only other payments are from 2007/09 (PC Parts using Google Checkout).

Just make a new account instead? Not sure how it works in the UK, but I was given similar BS, so I made a different account, and it just worked.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Anybody having weird timezone issues in mobile Chrome? ESPN.com has game times in UTC (whether logged into my account or private browsing), while Firefox mobile has my local timezone, as does ESPN on my computer Chrome. ESPN.com, ESPN's fantasy football app, and a random fantasy football site that might pull game times from ESPN are the only places I've found this issue, though. Clearing Chrome's app data didn't fix it. NFL.com, NBA.com, etc all have game times listed in my local timezone in mobile Chrome, and Calendar, Gmail, and every other app is in the correct timezone too. Only thing I've found that might possibly at all be related is this bug tracker page started 5 days ago, where Maps on iOS is giving people the ETA on the wrong timezone: https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/maps/Yu1LVPdzAT4

Any ideas?

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

West SAAB Story posted:

Just make a new account instead? Not sure how it works in the UK, but I was given similar BS, so I made a different account, and it just worked.
I'm a pretty reluctant to make a new account, given that everything (contacts, apps, Gmail, etc) is linked through my Google account. I know they probably have my passport number somewhere anyway (through emails, etc), but the idea of being asked to provide Government-issued ID (which isn't even a legal requirement to own in the UK) and a scanned proof of address makes me deeply uncomfortable, not least as all I want to be able to do is use a £25 gift card balance (which was redeemed to my balance ages ago) to buy a couple of games/apps. If I was making £thousands of transactions through Google Pay (or even if I was regularly using Google Pay contactless for small transactions), I would understand how this would be required - but given the tiny amounts I've used my Google Pay/Wallet for, it seems an entirely disproportionate request for personal data.

This is the latest explanation they have given, which doesn't really say anything:

Thank you for reaching out about the status of the Google Payments account associated with XXXX.

I've looked into this, and I see that your account is temporarily suspended because we need to verify your identity. (European money laundering and fraud regulations, such as the Money Laundering Regulations 2007, require payment providers like Google Payments to verify your identity when you've reached a certain transaction amount.)

When you make certain kinds of transactions or when you reach certain transaction thresholds, Google is required by financial regulators to request, verify, and record information that identifies each person who uses Google Payments.

Information used to verify your identity includes details like your name, address, or date of birth. In some cases we may require you to submit a copy of your government-issued ID and a proof of address such as a utility bill.

You can't use Google Payments to make purchases, including Google Play and Google Drive purchases, while your Payments account is suspended. But don't worry! You can reactivate your Google Payments account; please just complete our secure form and provide the requested documents. If you don't supply the information needed to verify your identity, my team may have to close your Google Payments account.

Ewan fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 31, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
I guess I don't understand why you don't just do it? They seem to be clear in why they need it, and as you say they likely know the data anyway and need what they're asking simply for regulatory compliance. Is this a Bitcoin, tinfoil hat situation?

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
You could make a new account and use the 'family library' to share purchases to your main account.

Or do what they asked.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

LastInLine posted:

I guess I don't understand why you don't just do it? They seem to be clear in why they need it, and as you say they likely know the data anyway and need what they're asking simply for regulatory compliance. Is this a Bitcoin, tinfoil hat situation?
I have no specific 'tinfoil hat' reason to be worried, and in general am happy to share personal data (location data, etc) with Google, etc as it improves their services. I guess it's just uploading my passport/proof of address crosses a mental line in terms of what personal information I am actively providing to them, and seems disproportionate to the service I am using.

If there was a cart-blanche requirement for them to do this (or I was a heavy spender), I would be far more willing (and impressed at the efforts to combat fraud), but it's more that they are very vague about why this has happened to an account which frankly has had pretty infrequent, small value and mundane payments, and no one else I know (many of whom use their Google Pay accts daily) has ever had to do this. I also understand that their vagueness probably stems from the fact they aren't exactly going to reveal their account suspension triggers, and it could be something as simple as every account ID ending in XX gets flagged for an ID check as part of due diligence.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'd guess it's because you've barely used it, so could suggest a hacked account, and gift vouchers are often used in online scams as payment

I wouldn't stress too much, its not too different to how I get a call from my bank on every stag do I go to when I'm suddenly spending a poo poo load of money in a random city I've never been to before

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Is there an app that will tell me what keeps turning my WiFi off? It's very annoying, and also kind of odd. Any time I'm somewhere with public WiFi, if I move out of range, within 15 mins. my phone turns off my WiFi. Even if if I manually turn it back on, within 5 mins. it's off again.

I've already gone to Advanced WiFi settings, and made sure that it's not set to disconnect WiFi automatically or when the signal is weak, and that it is set to keep WiFi on during sleep.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

Is there an app that will tell me what keeps turning my WiFi off? It's very annoying, and also kind of odd. Any time I'm somewhere with public WiFi, if I move out of range, within 15 mins. my phone turns off my WiFi. Even if if I manually turn it back on, within 5 mins. it's off again.

I've already gone to Advanced WiFi settings, and made sure that it's not set to disconnect WiFi automatically or when the signal is weak, and that it is set to keep WiFi on during sleep.

What phone do you have? Are you rooted/running a custom ROM?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

LG Ultimate 2, no root, Android 4.4.2, stock.

Edit
It appears the issue is caused by the new My Account app. I've uninstalled it to see.

I did a search about a week ago, and got nothing for my phone. Just did one, and got some results.

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 31, 2016

EcoBlue
Jan 1, 2008
Say, where should I look for app news? I'm not sure where to look to find out what's good anymore.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm not familiar at all with European money laundering law but identity verification for any kind of transaction account in your name is routine (and routinely required) in the US. Normally it's pretty invisible to the customer, though; they check the info you used to register the account against public records and that's the end of it. The ID docs route is usually a last resort in my experience, and a huge pain in the rear end for all concerned. Trust me, Google is as frustrated at needing to collect documents from you as you are at sending them.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Ewan posted:

I have no specific 'tinfoil hat' reason to be worried, and in general am happy to share personal data (location data, etc) with Google, etc as it improves their services. I guess it's just uploading my passport/proof of address crosses a mental line in terms of what personal information I am actively providing to them, and seems disproportionate to the service I am using.

If there was a cart-blanche requirement for them to do this (or I was a heavy spender), I would be far more willing (and impressed at the efforts to combat fraud), but it's more that they are very vague about why this has happened to an account which frankly has had pretty infrequent, small value and mundane payments, and no one else I know (many of whom use their Google Pay accts daily) has ever had to do this. I also understand that their vagueness probably stems from the fact they aren't exactly going to reveal their account suspension triggers, and it could be something as simple as every account ID ending in XX gets flagged for an ID check as part of due diligence.

It's just KYC regulations as they explained. It has nothing to do with improving the services they're providing or trying to amass data on you specifically rather than trying to mitigate transnational money laundering on the whole. I guess I just don't have that mental line you do as Google has shipped plenty of things to my house and has verified all of my bank accounts so providing proof of who I am to them wouldn't really affect me one way or the other.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EcoBlue posted:

Say, where should I look for app news? I'm not sure where to look to find out what's good anymore.

Grimbos blog

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

kri kri posted:

Grimbos blog

What is dead may never die.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

What is dead may never die.

quote:

Last Post Apr 21, 2012 22:13

I'm pretty sure we killed Grimbo though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Is there some trick I'm missing to make Light Flow notifications show up on my Pixel? It keeps using the default notifications even though I enabled light flow

Also how do I make it not display the time and date when the screen is off?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Disable the screen saver in the display settings

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Is there anyway I can get the Gmail app to alert me about an email from a specific sender that always lands in the promotion tab? Talking specifically about slickdeals really.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Is there some trick I'm missing to make Light Flow notifications show up on my Pixel? It keeps using the default notifications even though I enabled light flow

You need to disable the default notifications

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Is there anyway I can get the Gmail app to alert me about an email from a specific sender that always lands in the promotion tab? Talking specifically about slickdeals really.

Make a filter for the sender, set it to apply a label and set the app to check and notify on that label.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of notifications, is there any way I can turn off audio notifications for a certain app? I don't like being in public places and all of the sudden my phone says "Visitors! Better put on pants."

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RandomPauI posted:

Speaking of notifications, is there any way I can turn off audio notifications for a certain app? I don't like being in public places and all of the sudden my phone says "Visitors! Better put on pants."
Look in the settings for that app.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Skarsnik posted:

You need to disable the default notifications

And how specifically do I do that, because everything I tried just ended with me not getting notifications

Edit and where is the screen saver option

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Nov 1, 2016

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Are you using light flow for just the light or everything else too (sound/vibrate)?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Maaan, Google Messenger updated and they made the text things into bubbles. I preferred the rectangles, they didn't look exactly like iOS.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Tunga posted:

Look in the settings for that app.

There's the option to turn off all notifications and that's it. I just want to disable audio notifications from it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Can you change the ring tone? Set that to silent.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Maybe it's just 7.1 that has it, but in the notifications settings you can turn on silent notifications for specific apps

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think it's a later thing. My phone runs android 5.1 and my native app notifications options are block, priority, and sensitive.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

hooah posted:

Maaan, Google Messenger updated and they made the text things into bubbles. I preferred the rectangles, they didn't look exactly like iOS.

I think the bubbles look great. The new app icon is fantastic. So good.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

nimper posted:

I think the bubbles look great. The new app icon is fantastic. So good.

The rectangles were more functional as speech bubbles, imo. They had those little flange bits. Gimme back my flange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPiTZ
Aug 9, 2004
I've got a music player question.

I have a well-tagged mp3 collection on my phone and I usually play it with Google Play Music. I'm trying to put a large playlist of additional family road-trip tunes on it also from hundreds of different artists. The problem is, I don't want all these random tracks and artists cluttering up my core collection in the player. At first I tried putting them in another directory, but they still showed up. Then I found out about the trick of hiding tracks from the music player by putting a ".nomedia" file in the folder, but this hides the tracks from the associated playlist also, so no dice.

At this point I'm even open to another music player that would play the playlist and ignore the .nomedia flag files. I tried a couple different ones but they didn't show the tracks in those folders either.