Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

ManofManyAliases posted:

Lol good one. Thank you for brightening up my Monday.

In fairness to your cringey efforts we had a few weird obsessives from here trying to pin him down about LoD relentlessly for a while in the hopes they would be "the ones" and they pretty much vanished when people said they were accounts of people who worked for CIG.

Not because it was true of course. The shame of being inadvertently associated with that place is too much for a few of people. It's like the Star Wars The Old Republic launch tattoos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Flarpy posted:

Still, the Skryim horse made me miss Roach.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16cwAvQcW0E&t=247s

Horse - the harbinger of doom of the modern RPG.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

ManofManyAliases posted:

Yeah more or less.

Wait why are you still able to post? I thought you are in prison?

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Tokamak posted:

They essentially do that when developing engine features. They branch the code, work on the feature until it's finished, and merge it back into the next release branch. The difference is that citizens think it will accelerate deployment, when the roadblock is QA.

The reason QA is the roadblock is because CIG development can be summed up as

"We've changed some poo poo, poo poo be happenin, we have no clue why, so we'll change some other poo poo and see what poo poo happens next."

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
I can't remember if it was Beer or Beet that posted it, but I tried to cook that stuffed pumpkin thing...

And had to throw it all out. :negative:

I usually just bake cakes/cookies/desserts and I'm not used cooking a dinner stuff. I thought a clove of garlic was a whole bulb...

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

MilesK posted:

elderly man-children still believe a torrent of new content is coming any day now.

MilesK posted:

a torrent of new content is coming any day now.

MilesK posted:

content is coming any day now.

MilesK posted:

any day now.

MilesK posted:

It's not coming.

Goon to Dreamer translation complete.

I think most of them are at the fourth one down, the last one is where it all happens. :)

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Sum Mors posted:

I can't remember if it was Beer or Beet that posted it, but I tried to cook that stuffed pumpkin thing...

I usually just bake cakes/cookies/desserts and I'm not used cooking a dinner stuff. I thought a clove of garlic was a whole bulb...

Garlic is the evil of this world.
Don't put garlic in your food.
Garlic is not food.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

orcinus posted:

Garlic is not food.

You pathetic, weak heathen

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

orcinus posted:

Garlic is not food.
Don't invite this man into your home.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

orcinus can't post past this gif

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

orcinus posted:

Garlic is not food.
Mods???

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Remember when Derek said he would be releasing a blog and several MOD CHALLENGES last weekend? Good times.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Tokamak posted:

They essentially do that when developing engine features. They branch the code, work on the feature until it's finished, and merge it back into the next release branch. The difference is that citizens think it will accelerate deployment, when the roadblock is QA. CIG doesn't have a large enough QA team to test two builds at once. So even if 3.0 is pretty much done, they still need to push 2.6 to live before even starting to test 3.0.

Given the number of major features being touted for 3.0, it will not be shocking if a number of them are behind. If 2.6 was hyped up as being weeks, not months away, and there are still major technical issues holding it up, 3.0 is probably in a sad state.
My knowledge of computers is pretty much "If it stops working, reboot it. If still not working, google the problem on another machine," so please correct me if I'm stupidly wrong here, but I'm assuming this approach is normally used with code that basically works? I can see how it would be possible to work on two updates at once if the two things won't affect each other, but the issue CIG seems to have is that their code is so hosed up that no one really knows why or how different parts are connected. So someone fixes a door somewhere, and suddenly all Mustangs explode if you try to bank right, or getting out of the pilot seat turns your character into a Lovecraftian nightmare.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

thatguy posted:

Remember when Derek said he would be releasing a blog and several MOD CHALLENGES last weekend? Good times.

only one more week! days not months!

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
Derek "I never promised anything " Smart

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

This dude looks like the kind of person that would have been the last one to see this girl

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Don't eat mushrooms either.
Mushrooms are alien and want you to die so they can eat you.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Never trust a mushroom.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

orcinus posted:

Garlic is not food.

TIL vampires are real.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sum Mors posted:

That was me. Sorry to hear it didn't go so well, but don't be afraid to try it again! Pie pumpkins come easy this time of year!

orcinus posted:

Garlic is not food.

orcinus posted:

Don't eat mushrooms either.
Mushrooms are alien and want you to die so they can eat you.

Do not listen to this man. Garlic and mushrooms are awesome (as long as you know exactly what kind of mushroom you're eating).

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
If mushrooms and garlic are good, WHY IS BEN A GARLICKY MUSHROOM?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bYY8m1Lb2I

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Sunswipe posted:

My knowledge of computers is pretty much "If it stops working, reboot it. If still not working, google the problem on another machine," so please correct me if I'm stupidly wrong here, but I'm assuming this approach is normally used with code that basically works? I can see how it would be possible to work on two updates at once if the two things won't affect each other, but the issue CIG seems to have is that their code is so hosed up that no one really knows why or how different parts are connected. So someone fixes a door somewhere, and suddenly all Mustangs explode if you try to bank right, or getting out of the pilot seat turns your character into a Lovecraftian nightmare.

In a sane environment you wouldn't bother branching because it was clearly not worth the time. Any time you add new code, you will end up having to test it - if your team doesn't do it, your customers end up doing it instead - and proper testing usually takes at least as long as development. So you create these two separate branches that will either...
  • add redundant test time plus the extra testing for when they finally get merged, or
  • slopped out to the public with no real testing, then do an untested merge that is also slopped out to the public

A normal team would then ask "what do we gain by doing this", then not do it because the answer is nothing in the best case and a PR disaster in the worst, but a normal team doesn't get a whole subforum dedicated to their antics.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Oh hey it's November, we should be getting 2.11 shortly!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MilesK posted:

Remember when Croberts made the Vanduul too big for the sets?

The exact same thing he did in Wing Commander the movie.

Star Citizen memories are fun.

How are the puppets built BEFORE the sets and yet they are STILL too big?!

:psyduck:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

it's me, I'm the lady who laughs off losing a twitter fight with "something something puppetmaster!"

I feel like everybody loves to get into Internet fights because they all think they are the smartest person on the planet.

They usually don't even have Smart in their name, so they're already losing.

But really, if people could just say "I'm sorry, you're right" or even "no, turns out I was wrong about that" I feel like Internet life would be so much easier.

I never really had this motivation to prove how right I was about anything. If people listened or didn't it's ok.

Be chill, Internet warriors. :shobon:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

SelenicMartian posted:

He kills you in your tweets.

Ok, made me :lol: hard! :D

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Animal_R_Us/status/793171284590989312

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Oleyo posted:

No. You're wrong. Girls don't like being a power fantasy hero, or killing monsters.

Silly girl.

:(

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Sum Mors posted:

Pro tip: you can buy cans of minced garlic in the produce section of your grocery store and never have to worry about cloves again!

Looks like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VDH6FNU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_4Z-fyb0344W6V

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sunswipe posted:

https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/793142528316887040

So many happy, smiling faces, and... is that Derek Smart in whiteface in the middle of the bottom row?

I believe this is Chris Roberts real office.

The keyboard is at a completely unusable angle.

The keyboard keys don't look at all used.

The wrist rest of the keyboard looks like it's never been touched by a wrist or body part ever.

The desk is unusable for any amount of time.

The polished steel/aluminum looks as though body parts have never touched its gleaming and unmarred surface before.

There is no blood around the exposed Phillips head screws poking out at hideous angles for a "work desk".

All in all, looks exactly like I'd expect the desk of somebody who doesn't do any real work on a computer or office to look like.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

flyboi posted:

Pro tip: you can buy cans of minced garlic in the produce section of your grocery store and never have to worry about cloves again!

Looks like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VDH6FNU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_4Z-fyb0344W6V

:barf:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

The Titanic posted:

I believe this is Chris Roberts real office.

The keyboard is at a completely unusable angle.

The keyboard keys don't look at all used.

The wrist rest of the keyboard looks like it's never been touched by a wrist or body part ever.

The desk is unusable for any amount of time.

The polished steel/aluminum looks as though body parts have never touched its gleaming and unmarred surface before.

There is no blood around the exposed Phillips head screws poking out at hideous angles for a "work desk".

All in all, looks exactly like I'd expect the desk of somebody who doesn't do any real work on a computer or office to look like.

Also, it's a Razer keyboard.
Real people don't use Razer keyboards.
I therefore conclude Chris either isn't real, or he's not using the keyboard.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

I'm asian, and we put garlic into everything.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

no_recall posted:

I'm asian, and we put garlic into everything.

Sweet & sour / sweet & spicy sauces are the only things i can stand garlic in, in very very tiny quantities.
Ditto for my gf.

My dad can't even stand that much.

Yes, we're all weird.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

thats normal actually

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

vyst posted:

This dude looks like the kind of person that would have been the last one to see this girl

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

thatguy posted:

2 weeks, tops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

How are the puppets built BEFORE the sets and yet they are STILL too big?!

:psyduck:

Because Robert Space is an expert in creating a work environment where people are either-

a) Too scared to voice dissent or offer advice.

b) Have given up and no further fucks are given

c) Are hanging around to watch it burn, and perhaps add combustible material periodically.

• Locked thread