Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
That Goondeyadda's gonna sound great once it's finished! :)

notoriousman fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

orcinus posted:

Garlic is the evil of this world.
Don't put garlic in your food.
Garlic is not food.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

SomethingJones posted:

Strap yourself into your chair for a lesson in marketing and creating revenue streams from video games y'all

Ask Sandi episode 4
Oct 31, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWeD7Kc-gmk&t=1013s

Sandra Roberts
Once I can confidently say I've done a full marketing push... and this is kind of where our audience is at, let's just say it's kind of FIVE MILLION... or TEN MILLION... then... then it's like, well... that can be a whole REVENUE THING in itself, TEN MILLION PEOPLE is a whole different BALL GAME, right?

Um, and also like EARNING SHIPS... um... you know... you know we're not getting into a pay to win discussion but it's like if I... if I'm... playing CLASH OF CLANS or whatever I sometimes say 'oh I can't be bothered I'm gonna pay for it for now'

Although yeah, you know...

I... I mean I'm not really CONCERNED about the revenue stream once... BOTH OF THEM are out... I feel like the game will be... POPULAR... I mean... it will... it will be... a GREAT GAME, I feel CONFIDENT about that (cackles)

I think it's... I mean it'll be a much easier thing to assess, and then I'll be able to say... kind of... where that... revenue SOURCE and STREAM will be... HEADED... once we hit more mainstream... cos then you get an idea of what the... you know... are you TEN MILLION? Are you FIFTEEN MILLION PEOPLE? Are you just FIVE MILLION PEOPLE? Is it, you know... so... then you kind of make your assessment from there

Looks like Sandi believes once the game is out, it will literally be everything promised and people will buy ships left and right for hundreds of dollars because they want to skip playing the game.

I think she is blissfully unaware that there is no way it will be, and the more if the game that actually comes out is exposed, the less it's going to look like the fabricated bullshit they wrote 10 page essays of the mechanics for.

Star Citizen is going to kill Star Citizens revenue stream.

Sq42 will kill Star Citizens revenue stream as well. Nobody is paying hundreds of dollars so they can endure a Chris Roberts movie. They want to be Captain Reynolds.

But that would require somebody at CIG to understand their own audience, and the marketing department seems more interested in hurting people and lying than it does in seeing how they can properly maneuver their manpower to maximize profits.

Sq42 is not the profit maximization unit. It's the sinker you want to add to Star Citizen as an expansion pack, or extra missions pack. Their focus is broken, but it's ok. It'll just make everything more exciting as time goes.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

The Titanic posted:

Looks like Sandi believes once the game is out, it will literally be everything promised and people will buy ships left and right for hundreds of dollars because they want to skip playing the game.

I think she is blissfully unaware that there is no way it will be, and the more if the game that actually comes out is exposed, the less it's going to look like the fabricated bullshit they wrote 10 page essays of the mechanics for.

Star Citizen is going to kill Star Citizens revenue stream.

Sq42 will kill Star Citizens revenue stream as well. Nobody is paying hundreds of dollars so they can endure a Chris Roberts movie. They want to be Captain Reynolds.

But that would require somebody at CIG to understand their own audience, and the marketing department seems more interested in hurting people and lying than it does in seeing how they can properly maneuver their manpower to maximize profits.

Sq42 is not the profit maximization unit. It's the sinker you want to add to Star Citizen as an expansion pack, or extra missions pack. Their focus is broken, but it's ok. It'll just make everything more exciting as time goes.

the possibility of SC coming out with all the promises is in the same possibility of Ben seeing his dick again

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

thanks for the money spergs

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

EminusSleepus posted:

:show us what you think about the people who give you money to make a mo-cap movie"

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

EminusSleepus posted:

cop a load of these bloodsuckers

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

He looks like the Count from Sesame Street. "One JPG, two JPG, THREE JPG! AH HA HA!"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

alf_pogs posted:

cop a load of these bloodsuckers

Did Sandi already get bitten twice or is she just emaciated?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

She hasn't had any fresh souls to feed on lately, that's all.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Chris' hair once again changes color.

Its a miracle!

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Chris Roberts can not provide even a remotely accurate time line. Every date has been missed.

Chris Roberts can not work under any sort of budget. It's impossible for the game to have been fully funded at 60 million dollars, let alone the 20 million they stated.

Chris Roberts is unable to allow even basic features to be completed or implemented before massively derailing the project based on the last shiny thing he's seen.

Why in the loving world would you still belive him, or anyone else at CIG, at this point?

2.6 was supposed to be ready for Citizencon and 3.0 by the end of the year. Now you'll be happy to get 2.6 by the end of the year? The big achievement they have to meet to justify your $3,500.00 is being able to implement some FPS features using an FPS engine?

Get a refund, you goofy loving retard.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

this is like one of those 50s horror film crossovers

THE MUMMY MEETS DRACULA

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Strigoi Sandi looks lively.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
The stones they've been squeezing for blood are starting to dry up, they're having to ration. Lean times.

Unless you're Ben, then nothing in your life is lean.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Experimental Skin posted:

Because Robert Space is an expert in creating a work environment where people are either-

a) Too scared to voice dissent or offer advice.

b) Have given up and no further fucks are given

c) Are hanging around to watch it burn, and perhaps add combustible material periodically.

So he's the Pointy-Haired Boss from Dilbert?

The possibility of c) is heartening. I hope it's split mostly between the last two. I feel bad for anyone in column a).

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Raskolnikov posted:

I should get a star citizen shirt #swag

Halloween is almost over.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

orcinus posted:

Garlic is not food.

Whoa there, friend.

Garlic is good. So is Tony Chacheres.

I'm not a super chef though. :)

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
at any point in development have they shown a "grey box" environment with space ships flying around to test flight models? have they ever done it to show ground buggies and physics interactions between vehicles and the ground, or running into asteroids or boxes?

they're just building overly detailed spaceship assets with no underpinning work on mechanics aren't they? are they just using all the inbuilt mechanics from cryengine and calling that good enough?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

thatguy posted:

Remember when Derek said he would be releasing a blog and several MOD CHALLENGES last weekend? Good times.

Yes. I was looking forward to the comedy the challenges were going to bring.

Maybe Challenge 2.6 will have them though. I don't fully grasp mod challenge development.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

The Titanic posted:

Maybe Challenge 2.6 will have them though. I don't fully grasp mod challenge development.

mod challenges 2.6 and 3.0 are being worked on in parallel so you couldn't possibly get one out before it's all completely ready

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

The Titanic posted:

Whoa there, friend.

Garlic is good. So is Tony Chacheres.

I'm not a super chef though. :)

EVERYONE is a chef with Tony Chacheres.

All you need is a stock pot, some file, and whateverthehellyouhaveinthefridge.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

orcinus posted:

Garlic is not food.

Laughing my mediterranean rear end off. I am truley sorry for your lots.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The Titanic posted:

The challenges have all been issued and are being responded to on Discord. They're amazing so far and I can't wait for them to be shared here once they're ready.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

The challenges have all been issued and are being responded to on Discord. They're amazing so far and I can't wait for them to be shared here once they're ready.

dang goon evocati model

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sunswipe posted:

My knowledge of computers is pretty much "If it stops working, reboot it. If still not working, google the problem on another machine," so please correct me if I'm stupidly wrong here, but I'm assuming this approach is normally used with code that basically works? I can see how it would be possible to work on two updates at once if the two things won't affect each other, but the issue CIG seems to have is that their code is so hosed up that no one really knows why or how different parts are connected. So someone fixes a door somewhere, and suddenly all Mustangs explode if you try to bank right, or getting out of the pilot seat turns your character into a Lovecraftian nightmare.

In a manner of speaking yes. From that brief clip from that "pity us" ATV, with the programmer freaking out to Chris Roberts, it sounds like they extended the hell out of everything.

This means they had Door, and that worked until the next door. Instead of go fix Door so it works for both, they added Door2. So figure ten months in we're at DoorHangarUnderBridge extended from DoorLedgeAB_Gravity. Each one has some specific code that makes it work in its special case.

Now Bob comes in and updated Door2G. Suddenly everything using that, and all the children and grandchildren and all the way down the line is hosed up. Now imagine the same day Rob fixed the problem half way down in DoorGrim4, so now some doors work, some don't, and you can't fix poo poo because the inheritance tree looks like a ball of yarn.

Now imagine this for the whole game, not just doors.

Voila! Your code is hosed! You may be able to jack new stuff in with custom code on top of broken stuff, but your stability is tanked, your performance is peaking CPUs, and it just can't be fixed without a basic total rewrite, or fixing each master object to properly support the 1000s of objects inheriting from it.

You're looking at starting from scratch basically. Months and months of work to basically get to where you are now; but you can then properly progress.

Now imagine your the college graduate who has to explain this to the Coding Wonder kid Roberts who really has no idea how modern programming works, only wants to add things, and fails to understand basic human skills such as not being a dick, berating employees publicly, and threatening them.

And now you see why we have Star Citizen, and why they can't even cobble together a faked demo cutscene using their own engine without it taking a year or more.

And what's better is that year of trying to build a pretend demo did NOT go towards actually fixing the root problems within the engine and code base.

Welcome to Star Citizen development, friend. Enjoy the show. :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dementropy posted:

EVERYONE is a chef with Tony Chacheres.

All you need is a stock pot, some file, and whateverthehellyouhaveinthefridge.

I agree. :hfive:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

:downs:: No, you don't understand (idiot). So uh I wanna maximum fidelity saw with five thousand teeth and err yeah make that happen will you
:raise:: Mr. Roberts sir, that would in effect render the "saw" dull as a toothbrush. The spacing between the teeth is-
:downs:: Yakity-yakity-yak. I think you need a, a primer in errrr who's in charge here now do the saw. Also by the way we're doing a camera inside the casket, no cheating on my watch

Until the person clips through the top of the casket in their underwear and spins off at high speed...

(That would be one seriously awesome magic trick. Kind of like how Crushed Roberto persuaded the world SC existed.)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

EminusSleepus posted:

This looks like hideously expensive Halloween costumes.

I'm sure the backers are glad if it. Images of Roberts power coding at 3am dance in their heads.

Surely he is a good patron of their hard earned disability checks. :homebrew:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

The Titanic posted:

i think it was made from some stuff they had lying around and a garage door opener

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

starkebn posted:

at any point in development have they shown a "grey box" environment with space ships flying around to test flight models? have they ever done it to show ground buggies and physics interactions between vehicles and the ground, or running into asteroids or boxes?

they're just building overly detailed spaceship assets with no underpinning work on mechanics aren't they? are they just using all the inbuilt mechanics from cryengine and calling that good enough?

Fidelity first.

Actual gameplay and functional mechanics later... maybe even not at all.

Once it's sold it's lost value. Can't really sell it again! So why bother making it at all?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Ghostlight posted:

Awww man. I guess I didn't invest enough to be the in crowd. Guess it's time to mortgage my house! :homebrew:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

alf_pogs posted:

i think it was made from some stuff they had lying around and a garage door opener

It would not be as sickening if they didn't flaunt it so brazenly.

But stuff like this is why for them, Star Citizen is already a success. It's amazing what paying yourself from millions of donated dollars can do for you.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Lladre posted:

They killed my parents.

Are we glad of it that they are dead then?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

The Titanic posted:

In a manner of speaking yes. From that brief clip from that "pity us" ATV, with the programmer freaking out to Chris Roberts, it sounds like they extended the hell out of everything.

Welcome to Star Citizen development, friend. Enjoy the show. :)

Link to ATV?

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

The Titanic posted:

I'm sure the backers are glad if it. Images of Roberts power coding at 3am dance in their heads.

Surely he is a good patron of their hard earned disability checks. :homebrew:

they look like more of a retarded conjoined twin

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

EminusSleepus posted:

Confirmed: Chris sucks.

https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/793142528316887040

Isn't this Ben's office? Look up the pics from the time they moved into this warehouse. There was a vent right above Ben's chair.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

Confirmed: Chris sucks.

https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/793142528316887040

Isn't this Ben's office? Look up the pics from the time they moved into this warehouse. There was a vent right above Ben's chair.

"Ben get out, I need to take a picture in an office that hasn't been used for any work"

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

starkebn posted:

I asked myself these same questions and came to the conclusion that no they never did work with a grey box, and yes they are calling it good enough (I think I'm getting the hang of this). The priority is that it looks good so why bother with the stage that isn't so pretty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Chris is probably sitting on the WCA boxes without realising what they are.

• Locked thread