Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Shoren posted:

I'm just about to start for the first key and I used the only elixir I've gotten so far on a Magic Jar :negative:

I don't know where I got the second one; maybe it was from an item on Seraphie's head. But I was able to scoop up the Magic Jar earlier. Elixirs aren't the only way to trigger Phoenix, but I didn't have a good healing setup and I just wanted to move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Moldy Taxes posted:

I don't know where I got the second one; maybe it was from an item on Seraphie's head. But I was able to scoop up the Magic Jar earlier. Elixirs aren't the only way to trigger Phoenix, but I didn't have a good healing setup and I just wanted to move on.

Oh, that's good news! I thought you had to throw an elixir at it since a lot of the conditions for imprisming are pretty specific. I'll check in with Serafie, too. Thanks for the tips.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shoren posted:

Oh, that's good news! I thought you had to throw an elixir at it since a lot of the conditions for imprisming are pretty specific. I'll check in with Serafie, too. Thanks for the tips.

The condition is just "restore a lot of HP at once."

I admit all I did was drop it down to 1 HP then hit it with an Elixir, I don't know the specific amount necessary for it to trigger.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

You actually don't have to hurt it at all, apparently, although I also did that and then used a Mega-Potion I'd gotten from somewhere, maybe The Coliseum.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Cao Ni Ma posted:

How does WoFF run on the vita? I have both consoles but would rather play it on the go

There's frame drops in Cornelia and some other towns, but the framerate in battle and cutscenes is absolutely fine and it looks pretty top-notch for a Vita game. In short, it's good and I highly recommend it as a great game to have on a portable.

Andrast posted:

I haven't personally played the vita version but apparently it suffers from pretty significant frame drops.

On the positive side, the game works really well over remote play.

Please stop telling people about the Vita version when you haven't played the Vita version

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The condition is just "restore a lot of HP at once."

I admit all I did was drop it down to 1 HP then hit it with an Elixir, I don't know the specific amount necessary for it to trigger.

I opened the fight with an Elixir and it still triggered. Figured it worked like the other "cure this mirage's health" where you don't actually have to damage them, and it did!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Haha, well, that's my fault for assuming it would actually count the amount healed and not just the theoretical amount healed

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

thorsilver posted:

There's frame drops in Cornelia and some other towns, but the framerate in battle and cutscenes is absolutely fine and it looks pretty top-notch for a Vita game. In short, it's good and I highly recommend it as a great game to have on a portable.

Please stop telling people about the Vita version when you haven't played the Vita version

I'm playing both PS4 and Vita - PS4 when I'm at home and Vita on the train and the Vita version absolutely has a lower framerate everywhere, and there's a slight hang (half a second to a second) at the start of pretty much every battle before the character animations start.

Overall it's not unplayable and if you're only playing Vita and not PS4 also, you probably wont be bothered by it but when you're swapping back and forth between them, it's absolutely noticable.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Someone save me from the final dungeon (I'm assuming)

I'm in Exnine castle and I just beat up a cute lil Carbuncle and made some blocks appear.. I've now ran laps around this dungeon and I have no loving clue what to do as there isn't a map for the gravity gimmick. What am I overlooking?

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Something that has really impressed me with WoFF is the graphics. Despite not being hyper-realistic, it's a gorgeous game. This is in part to having a very congruent design style, but also the fact that everything is just complete, for a lack of better words. All the parts of each character model are continuous so there's no seams to be noticed or clipping issues, and I know that's what to expect from any game in this age, but they just feel like they're higher quality than a lot of other games.

Another thing is the textures in the game. Most of it isn't particularly noteworthy besides the fact that despite being pretty flat they still have slight variances. But the ones that really stand out are what you'll see on the mythril giant's spiked club, for instance. It really has the appearance of an iron ball down to the imperfections in the surface.

WoFF does a lot of things very well and I'm enjoying it immensely. I'd love to see another Final Fantasy game have this sort of style to it (minus the chibi characters, of course) because it would harken back to the classic games without having the direct references. Just goes to show that you don't have to aim for super realistic graphics to still have a great looking game.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Shoren posted:

Something that has really impressed me with WoFF is the graphics. Despite not being hyper-realistic, it's a gorgeous game. This is in part to having a very congruent design style, but also the fact that everything is just complete, for a lack of better words. All the parts of each character model are continuous so there's no seams to be noticed or clipping issues, and I know that's what to expect from any game in this age, but they just feel like they're higher quality than a lot of other games.

Another thing is the textures in the game. Most of it isn't particularly noteworthy besides the fact that despite being pretty flat they still have slight variances. But the ones that really stand out are what you'll see on the mythril giant's spiked club, for instance. It really has the appearance of an iron ball down to the imperfections in the surface.

WoFF does a lot of things very well and I'm enjoying it immensely. I'd love to see another Final Fantasy game have this sort of style to it (minus the chibi characters, of course) because it would harken back to the classic games without having the direct references. Just goes to show that you don't have to aim for super realistic graphics to still have a great looking game.

I agree with you. Everything looks detailed AF. I was kind of marveling at the coffee shop in the opening scenes - it looked like a place you could almost go to IRL.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
BTW, WoFF puns also extend to the voice casting. Leviathan is voiced by Claudia Black, better known as Officer Aeryn Sun from Farscape. Leviathans, get it?

Also, a majority of the VA cast that isn't Dissidia/Kingdom Hearts alumni is either known for Regular Show, Mass Effect, World of Warcraft, Persona or FF15. From Noctis to Archmage Khadgar, you'll recognize voices if you're into any of those franchises.

Varance fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 31, 2016

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

WoFF Plot talk for the end of chapter 21. Preeetty big spoilers

I loving love how DARK that final boss and everything wound up being. Like jeez I was not expecting such a drastic tonal shift. Tama erasing herself is also pretty brutal and I'm kinda wondering what other games or series have that hook because it's a good one. I know of a certain anime that recently aired and another certain square game that has similar but now I'm curious

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

WoFF Plot talk for the end of chapter 21. Preeetty big spoilers

I loving love how DARK that final boss and everything wound up being. Like jeez I was not expecting such a drastic tonal shift. Tama erasing herself is also pretty brutal and I'm kinda wondering what other games or series have that hook because it's a good one. I know of a certain anime that recently aired and another certain square game that has similar but now I'm curious

When I got to the false ending I honestly fell for it for a bit. "Wait, what. Are you... no, you're not. You're seriously going to end it with sad crying people? Really? Did I get the bad ending? Why would you have a bad ending in Final Fantasy Punventures?!"

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ImpAtom posted:

When I got to the false ending I honestly fell for it for a bit. "Wait, what. Are you... no, you're not. You're seriously going to end it with sad crying people? Really? Did I get the bad ending? Why would you have a bad ending in Final Fantasy Punventures?!"

Yeah it's great. I recall laughing when Lann died or sealed himself away or whatever that was. I figured "of course Wyn saved the parents and got away and now I gotta save Lann somehow." ...Then the credits started "Wait, is it seriously doing the fake credits thing too? Man they sure are going all out" and just slowly started thinking oh poo poo this is really happening how the hell do I get the good ending then? Then y'know.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I watched a video with Xenogears in it and I can't stop laughing at the big dumb robot design.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Okay I got drunk last night and dropped the bux down on WoFF. Is it fairly easy to learn? All the talk in this thread makes all the systems and stuff seem fairly complex, but that's likely just because I haven't played it yet. Should I just jump in or are there any guides online to help me get started?

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Just jump in. All the mechanics are well documented in game. There are a lot of mirages (monsters) to capture and deciding which ones to use can be a bit overwhelming, but generally it's pretty straightforward. If you're familiar with Final Fantasy then you'll be fine.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

bilperkins2 posted:

I'm playing both PS4 and Vita - PS4 when I'm at home and Vita on the train and the Vita version absolutely has a lower framerate everywhere, and there's a slight hang (half a second to a second) at the start of pretty much every battle before the character animations start.

Overall it's not unplayable and if you're only playing Vita and not PS4 also, you probably wont be bothered by it but when you're swapping back and forth between them, it's absolutely noticable.

You're spot on, I'm just saying that the framerate blips in a turn-based game means very little and really it's extremely playable and a good-looking Vita game. Like I don't consider stuff like a half-second of jitters when the game isn't accepting your inputs anyway to be a thing worth worrying about, honestly.

I guess I'd compare it to something like Trails of Cold Steel -- slightly more wonky than on the significantly more powerful home console, but really quite good considering the hardware we're talking about, and not at all wonky enough to actually make the game annoying to play.

edit: I guess that's pretty much the same thing you were saying really :v:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
My monster choice for WoFF is "is this monster cute or cool looking?" and it has worked out surprisingly well, even for the challenging bits.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost
The world and dungeon design is very reminiscent of Xenogears, which makes sense given that it's the same devs. It's also why there are a bunch of Xenogears and Einhander reference in the game.

Old school Square devs are in charge of Square these days, and it shows. Final Fantasy 14 is about to get a massive Tactics Ogre crossover in about 12 hours (levels 51-200 of Palace of the Dead, complete with music from TO).

Varance fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 1, 2016

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

bloodychill posted:

My monster choice for WoFF is "is this monster cute or cool looking?" and it has worked out surprisingly well, even for the challenging bits.
This is how I roll with my stacks except that it's still a problem because everything is cute and adorable.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
Yeah I gave up on stacking for better skills because having a moogle is more important.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

more like dICK posted:

Yeah I gave up on stacking for better skills because having a moogle is more important.
To be fair, you can develop some killer stacks with a Moogle. In the below screenshot, Greg brings Protect/Shell/Haste and the Mightiest of Swords, Moogle brings Atk+ and Healing, combining the two will get you Aerora/Aeroga and all it takes is a Cura and Thundara mirajewel to unlock Curaga and Thundaga, respectively. Once you get a Holy mirajewel from a Memocoleous, pop that into the mix to unlock Flare.

Varance fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 1, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Varance posted:

To be fair, you can develop some killer stacks with a Moogle. In the below screenshot, Greg brings Protect/Shell/Haste and the Mightiest of Swords, Moogle brings Atk+ and Healing, combining the two will get you Aerora/Aeroga and all it takes is a Cura and Thundara mirajewel to unlock Curaga and Thundaga, respectively. Once you get a Holy mirajewel from a Memeoculos, pop that into the mix to unlock Flare.

BAAAAARTZ

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I'm loving woff so much. Can't believe I'm having so much fun , just dicking around with the stacks.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Here is a good way of figuring out if you would like WoFF. Do you like Final Fantasy? Do you like the party customization/monster catching of Pokemon? If yes to both then chances are high that you will like it.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Black Mage Knight posted:

Here is a good way of figuring out if you would like WoFF. Do you like Final Fantasy? Do you like the party customization/monster catching of Pokemon? If yes to both then chances are high that you will like it.

I mean, you could sell 13-2 on that exact same premise and that game has enough issues for the entire 13 trilogy on its own.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Artix posted:

I mean, you could sell 13-2 on that exact same premise and that game has enough issues for the entire 13 trilogy on its own.

WoFF is basically FFXIII-2 done right to be fair. It even has Snow fighting a Flan and Ultros.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Artix posted:

The monster-taming in XIII-2 is really the only reason the entire game isn't just lovely Chrono Trigger.

I didn't play any of the XIII games, but I watched Kung-Fu Jesus' LP of XIII-2, and basically the most fun part of it was when they got new good monsters to play with and name. The entire game went from a 6 to a 7 when they could name a giant robot death-machine Gank.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I want to use Gilgamesh but I have loving poo poo luck so his sword draws are like 99% garbage. I've only had mine draw a good sword once.

Always feel like I could be using someone better because of it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Artix posted:

13-2 just needs a proper hard difficulty and it will be great.

The faster paradigm shifting alone makes up for any shortcomings it has and more.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
World of Final Fantasy loving owns

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost
I mentioned this before, but you can change WoFF's default battle music in the options menu. You won't get some of the really good tracks until later, but that's about when the default themes get old.

Even if you don't play, they're all solid remixes:

FF5 Battle on the Big Bridge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aieuAMWlAJ8
FF6 The Decisive Battle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yBQCETmLKo
FF6 Battle to the Death: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6KllMbcIQ8
FF7 Let the Battles Begin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1wQ7A-pFJg
FF7 Those Who Fight Further: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzFrVyNdZfs
FF7:Dirge A Girl Names Shelke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnLYqu4rT-A
FF8 Don't be Afraid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwJeMuxQrbA
FF10 Blitzball: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-qq-MbXN_k
FF10 Hymn of the Fayth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9E2cRn9lSA
FF11 Awakening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5wSjIfWBWM
FF13 Blinded by Light: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh2wvo2qubc
FF13 Snow's Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVpErLXbK7k

If you want something more retro:

FF1 Battle Scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TyKoI9UgbI
FF3 Battle 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP_1FGmVFXI

... and you can't get your hands on this last one until you prove that you're a true rare Mirage Keeper:

FF9 Hunter's Chance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6ufYLt5J5Q

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD
nthing the sentiment that WoFF is very good and fun and totally worth it's price.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
WOFF's Awakening is sooo much better than the garbage fire version in Dissidia Arcade, goddamn.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Wow, I think this is the first Final Fantasy crossover game where Clash on the Big Bridge isn't the clear standout of the soundtrack. That Decisive Battle version, hot drat.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Cleretic posted:

The monster-taming in XIII-2 is really the only reason the entire game isn't just lovely Chrono Trigger.

I didn't play any of the XIII games, but I watched Kung-Fu Jesus' LP of XIII-2, and basically the most fun part of it was when they got new good monsters to play with and name. The entire game went from a 6 to a 7 when they could name a giant robot death-machine Gank.

The most fun part of 13-2 is Chronobind.

Also stop making me want WoFF you jerks, bad enough I've got to wait for 15's inevitable Steam release.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
My problem with WoFF is that why would I ever want to use Jiant stacks when the Liant forms are much cuter :colbert:

Which is a shame because there are a lot of cool M size Mirages.