Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woogles
Mar 23, 2007

hello
Kinda losing my mind here. Current employer is my ticket to moving to Canada to avoid the Brexit clusterfuck, but I'm massively underutilised. Hoping I can get over on a skilled worker visa and then find somewhere I can apply myself properly.

Doesn't help that I can't move until next year until Mrs. Woogles finishes her doctorate, and that I'm getting approached by AWS Australia saying "Hey, come work for our Ops team! We'll relocate you down here!" Anyone got any tips on holding out until December 2017? Maybe beat myself into a coma?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Woogles posted:

Kinda losing my mind here. Current employer is my ticket to moving to Canada to avoid the Brexit clusterfuck, but I'm massively underutilised. Hoping I can get over on a skilled worker visa and then find somewhere I can apply myself properly.

Doesn't help that I can't move until next year until Mrs. Woogles finishes her doctorate, and that I'm getting approached by AWS Australia saying "Hey, come work for our Ops team! We'll relocate you down here!" Anyone got any tips on holding out until December 2017? Maybe beat myself into a coma?

Whereabouts in Australia are they offering to relocate you to?

Woogles
Mar 23, 2007

hello
Sydney. And it's killing me that I can't take it up.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

If it's not Melbourne write it off.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm not hugely familiar with the industry, I know someone who worked at the three letter place before the merger and is now out in Asia. Every story seemed to point to a clusterfuck occurring, but maybe that's just par for the course.

All agencies are terrible.

Never get an IT job for an agency, goons.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Clamps McGraw posted:

Never get an IT job

Noted

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Ghostlight posted:

If it's not Melbourne write it off.

Sydney's the best city in Australia by a mile but they're all pretty terrible compared to Europe or North America so you might as well take up other offers. Our only advantage is dirt cheap holidays to SE Asia and Pacific islands.

e: also I moved from Sydney to Brisbane because iajwife got a great job up here so if you move here at all don't think of coming to Queensland at any point because it's a desolate wasteland that is a fate worse than death. Also, there are canetoads everywhere at the moment.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Woogles posted:

From a networking perspective, Australia is a 3rd world country, just keep that in mind. You have awful personal internet connectivity and your connection to the rest of the world is pretty much rear end depending on which fiber bundle you go out over.

I spend more time and effort supporting our 25 person office in Brisbane for networking outages then I do two campus buildings in the states.

gently caress Australia.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
$87k came in for computer upgrades. Do they make laptop carts that allow for monitoring of the laptops connected to them?

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

DigitalMocking posted:

From a networking perspective, Australia is a 3rd world country, just keep that in mind. You have awful personal internet connectivity and your connection to the rest of the world is pretty much rear end depending on which fiber bundle you go out over.

I spend more time and effort supporting our 25 person office in Brisbane for networking outages then I do two campus buildings in the states.

gently caress Australia.

I've recently started working in Australia (temp for now) and I was slightly amused I suppose at the issue of downloading stuff from outside of Australia
I had considered taking up a permeant position for the exact reason mentioned of escaping Brexit, however now I'm here I'm not as impressed as I thought I would be.

I'm in Perth and it's likely I'll get to see Sydney over the course of the next 2 years so maybe I'll look at that too.

The cost of living is rather high which is off putting although potential salary does reflect that

all this is really pointless anyway as Mrs angry armadillo has no intention of coming over :D

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

larchesdanrew posted:

$87k came in for computer upgrades. Do they make laptop carts that allow for monitoring of the laptops connected to them?

What sort of monitoring are you after? Presence of laptops in the cart, network connectivity for vPro-enabled devices?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Clamps McGraw posted:

All agencies are terrible.

Never get an IT job for an agency, goons.

Confirmed ! Advertising IT is as bad as legal or healthcare IT. And if shooting yourself in the head isn't an option, reconsider if the job offer is from an agency owned by the Omnicom group - their finance department are batshit crazy by any standards.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

mllaneza posted:

Confirmed ! Advertising IT is as bad as legal or healthcare IT. And if shooting yourself in the head isn't an option, reconsider if the job offer is from an agency owned by the Omnicom group - their finance department are batshit crazy by any standards.

I work at a healthcare advertising agency. How much whiskey should I drop off at our helpdesk?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

One of our customers has a bunch of these:

http://www.jar-systems.com/products/jar-remote-management-solution/jar-versatile-tablet-cart-36-sb-6310b

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Tomie knows me posted:

I work at a healthcare advertising agency. How much whiskey should I drop off at our helpdesk?

Better find the contact info for your nearest distributor. Offer a buyout sight unseen and you'll be moving in the right direction.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

mllaneza posted:

Or Publicis.

So, you know, the two biggest groups in the world.

Tomie knows me posted:

Enough to kill them. The average user at agencies are even more flighty and annoying and ridiculous as they're ~creative~, darling. AMs, PMs and devs less so than the creatives, admittedly.

Paying the least bit of attention to them and not being a total idiot will get you in their mega good books. Demonstrating I understood regex when helping them troubleshoot some cron stuff - and simply knowing what a WAN was - when asking for a bit of kit at my last place indirectly got me a brand new laptop (two, actually, one PC and one Mac), local admin access, remote access privileges (like rocking horse poo poo due to the Marissa Mayer-like CEO) and first dibs on whatever I wanted.

A CRAB IRL fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 1, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

angry armadillo posted:

I've recently started working in Australia (temp for now) and I was slightly amused I suppose at the issue of downloading stuff from outside of Australia
I had considered taking up a permeant position for the exact reason mentioned of escaping Brexit, however now I'm here I'm not as impressed as I thought I would be.

I'm in Perth and it's likely I'll get to see Sydney over the course of the next 2 years so maybe I'll look at that too.

The cost of living is rather high which is off putting although potential salary does reflect that

all this is really pointless anyway as Mrs angry armadillo has no intention of coming over :D

Perth is a wretched hole of a city and you should never live there voluntarily.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
All of it. A friend of mine worked IT for a New York agency that wound up with a hospital group as their primary client. He had been working for the agency for eight years; he quit eleven months after the contract started.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, hold out for Darwin instead.

:suicide: gently caress no Darwin is hideous

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Yeah, hold out for Darwin instead.

:suicide: gently caress no Darwin is hideous

I reckon Darwin only exists so the NT doesn't have to name Alice Springs as its capital. If Perth is a hole, Darwin is somewhere down at the bottom of it alone and forgotten.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I reckon Darwin only exists so the NT doesn't have to name Alice Springs as its capital. If Perth is a hole, Darwin is somewhere down at the bottom of it alone and forgotten.

I (an American) got offered a job in Alice Springs. How can anyone look at it on a map and think "Yes, I'd like to live there."

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
As I'm sure Larches can attest to TV IT is not much better, production or broadcast. Whole bunch of special snowflake editors and overworked field crews. You'll get no budget but they'll spend 40 grand on new cameras that will promptly be broken.

So glad I got out of that field and now I support some TV companies :v:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

xsf421 posted:

I (an American) got offered a job in Alice Springs. How can anyone look at it on a map and think "Yes, I'd like to live there."

Seems like the kind of place you'd be willing to go if you're desperate to get away from something. Like 90% of the people who move to Alaska for work.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just for the record, I'm pretty sure this is true of all the Perths out there and not just the one in Australia

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Especially the Amboy one

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDaDqx_ZYaY

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

xsf421 posted:

How the hell did that offer come up?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

xsf421 posted:

I went to Alice Springs for a week when I was a kid and thought it was cool as hell. I generally really love Australia, though. I actually want to go visit Perth and Darwin :ohdear:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

fishmech posted:

Seems like the kind of place you'd be willing to go if you're desperate to get away from something. Like 90% of the people who move to Alaska for work.

I live in Alaska and can attest to the truthfulness of this statement.

Inspector_666 posted:

I went to Alice Springs for a week when I was a kid and thought it was cool as hell. I generally really love Australia, though. I actually want to go visit Perth and Darwin :ohdear:

Vacationing in a place and living in a place are two totally different things.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

The Fool posted:

Vacationing in a place and living in a place are two totally different things.

I moved into a resort/vacation town 4 years ago. While I still love it, the tourists can really get on your nerves.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Moey posted:

I moved into a resort/vacation town 4 years ago. While I still love it, the tourists everyone, everywhere, can really get on your nerves.

ftfy

*edit* Although people on vacation are a special brand of rear end in a top hat because they feel even more entitled to things than the average rear end in a top hat.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Woogles posted:

If AWS wants you now, we'll take you a year from now.

And the relocation package is pretty sweet: flights while you "investigate" the area are paid for, temporary housing paid for for a few months, full moving expenses (including cars), etc, etc, etc.

Gotta stay at least two years or you gotta pay 'em back, though.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
The saddest ticket came in:

quote:

Please edit this online course video to remove the segment at [timestamp]. The patient in that part of the video has passed away, and out of respect we try to remove deceased patients from any video or still assets.
I looked up the video and it's a girl at a party, with a banner saying "Congratulations on finishing chemo!" She looked so happy. :smith:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

I visited Alice a few years back. It's a town with 1 street. One really long street.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

TheParadigm posted:

"I want people to learn to do X, Y and Z, and do it on their own initiative. Guaranteed promotions/raises if you can make it."

Sometimes people just have a stagnant work environment with no hope of advancement. If things got as bad as they are, its probably because ambition hasn't been rewarded for so long its become a 'why bother' type deal.

On the flipside of this, a previous job I had used to pay for engineer certs for up to 3 times on the same test (basically 3 strikes and then you pay for it yourself) and people took advantage of it. So much, that they would get their certification, work for the company another couple months, then bounce somewhere else that paid better. It happened so many times in less than a year that they changed the rule and said that they'd pay for the cert, but employees had to stay on for a year after getting it or they'd have to pay it back to the company. By that point people were so fed up, frustrated and sick of office politics and management bullshit that they were more than happy to pay for their own certs and bounce, and management couldn't do anything about it. I did the same thing and got 2 Microsoft certs on my own dime and left for a better place for almost $10k more. Best revenge is showing rear end in a top hat management that you are worth more than what they think and laughing on the way out the door.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Perth was okay until it hit 40 degrees with 90% humidity for several days in a row with only a dry thunderstorm drowning out my pleas for death or air conditioning.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Moey posted:

I moved into a resort/vacation town 4 years ago. While I still love it, the tourists can really get on your nerves.

I lived in a tourist place for about 4 years. I never understood the ire. People come to spend money in your town. Yes the questions can get repetitive at times but "Where is the best place to eat" and "Where is x" never annoyed me.

Woogles
Mar 23, 2007

hello

Agrikk posted:

If AWS wants you now, we'll take you a year from now.

And the relocation package is pretty sweet: flights while you "investigate" the area are paid for, temporary housing paid for for a few months, full moving expenses (including cars), etc, etc, etc.

Gotta stay at least two years or you gotta pay 'em back, though.

That's interesting to know... always nice to have options in hand. Plus, AWS, hell yeah I'd like to work for you guys.

Thanks, Agrikk!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Migishu posted:

I visited Alice a few years back. It's a town with 1 street. One really long street.

That probably describes the local genealogy too, come to think of it.

Moey posted:

How the hell did that offer come up?

Probably because no Aussie bugger'll go near the place. We all know better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Sickening posted:

I lived in a tourist place for about 4 years. I never understood the ire. People come to spend money in your town. Yes the questions can get repetitive at times but "Where is the best place to eat" and "Where is x" never annoyed me.

We have multiple clients in Times Square :smithicide:

• Locked thread