Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
https://www.twitch.tv/wtfosaurus/v/98419409?t=199m10s

The sheer derision and loathing in his voice is something to behold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Lazrin posted:

no matter how much i lower my expectations of the posters in this forum, i'm always disappointed.

you're a poster in this forum rear end in a top hat

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Titanic posted:

I'm not really sure if the regulars here really believe him anymore.

It's kind of like a clock that is running low on batteries. It kind of works, and it's right more than twice a day, but you're still surprised when you check it against another working clock and it's actually correct.

But who knows! If he has drama I hope it's good.

He called out some people around Citizen Con, and I don't think anything happened about it. Maybe this is more of the same?

At this point, seems like TheAgent is the man with the inside peek. :)

I believe that he believes. He really is the anti-Chris. I never doubted Roberts ability to fool himself into believing Star Citizen will come to fruition, and I never doubt that Derek is just as convinced that he will tear down CIG and stand triumphant atop a virtual pile of the corpses of his enemies.

Unfortunately at this stage neither have delivered on anything close to what was promised.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Upto the third album these were extremely my poo poo, I saw them live like 5 times, sometimes supporting other bands. First time I saw them there were only about 400 people there, but it was a great gig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbqeO3S1fOk

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

Upto the third album these were extremely my poo poo, I saw them live like 5 times, sometimes supporting other bands. First time I saw them there were only about 400 people there, but it was a great gig

they did a bunch of shows through australia doing "everclear playing all the songs off sparkle and fade" stuff. i was pretty excited, they were one of the bands that i loved as a teen that still make me happy whenever i hear em. anyways this tour rocks around and it's just art alexakis and a pack of ring-ins, playing them with the energy of a dead sloth. kind of a bummer!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I believe that he believes. He really is the anti-Chris. I never doubted Roberts ability to fool himself into believing Star Citizen will come to fruition, and I never doubt that Derek is just as convinced that he will tear down CIG and stand triumphant atop a virtual pile of the corpses of his enemies.

Unfortunately at this stage neither have delivered on anything close to what was promised.

Both have delivered on the laughs so I hope that when their time is over they get buried in neighbouring (space) crypts . Then they can both have a snippy obituary to try and have the last word.

I am phone posting so if this ends a snype I'll have to ask someone to di the right thing and pay the impuesto gatuno.

"There lies Derek, he never scored (over 50 at metacritic) "

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

God drat right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwMTZFBd5eQ

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Ayn Marx posted:

We don't believe you anymore Derek! You can stay but not as OP!

I'll do it! I nominate myself as OP.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
It's a beautiful day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJRbvgJhR-U

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
"There lies Chris, he finally found a deadline he could keep"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Star Citizen | 2011 - ?

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

a song made for malifecent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DjpNgrocKo

but in lyrics term this is more like her

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEUWx4LA7jU

EminusSleepus fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 2, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Oh poo poo don't let Chris hear this song he might push for more feature creep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIUk08iYZKE

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

orcinus posted:

Also found on the same backup drive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNBvIsdNEcA

lol i have this cd

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Lazrin posted:

Here:

Here:

There are so many parrallels--remember when a bunch of top guys got fired and then even more left. So normal in the gaming industry! Just like CIG!

Infinity Ward 05/2002
Call of Duty 11/2003 1.5 years
Call of Duty 2 12/2005 25 months
Call of Duty 4 11/2007 23 months
Modern Warfare 11/2009 2.0 years
Modern Warfare 3 11/2011 2.0 years
Ghosts 11/2013 2.0 years
Infinite Warfare 11/2016 3.0 years

So going with Chris Roberts is an amazing developer who started creating computer games in the 1990's--long before those hacks working at Infinity Ward even knew how to code. And seeing how Chris selected CryEngine which has been proven time and time again to be amazing! Add in the fact Cloud Imperium has hired away from CryTek some of the key talent involved actually creating the engine. CIG has even hired the man who literally wrote the book on CryEngine! Wow--is CIG not awesome. What an amazing team--after two three four five years I'm sure what they will show off will blow our minds be a slideshow.

COD has been going strong for 14 years. How many years do the faithful think Star Citizen will exist? Twenty? Thirty years? Infinity Ward is halfway there!!

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

ManofManyAliases posted:

I am not Toast.

you think somebody would do that? just come on the internet and tell lies??

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Ben Lesnick, Developer

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

trucutru posted:

Both have delivered on the laughs so I hope that when their time is over they get buried in neighbouring (space) crypts . Then they can both have a snippy obituary to try and have the last word.

I am phone posting so if this ends a snype I'll have to ask someone to di the right thing and pay the impuesto gatuno.

"There lies Derek, he never scored (over 50 at metacritic) "

We already what will be on Derek's tombstone.

Chris's will be nothing but a mass of chisel marks from all the times the artist was forced to refactor the words.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lazrin posted:

no matter how much i lower my expectations of the posters in this forum, i'm always disappointed.

Never underestimate human stupidity.

So, how's the day job?

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

crobits must have not known that if you try to hide you big belly by ihaling during picture taking it will just go up to your neck

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Star Citizen | 2011 - ?

Chris Roberts:
  • Conquest: Frontier Wars - 2001 - Producer, Writer,
For 15+ years he has fought in the war against David Braben, and Soon™ he will be victorious!

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

I am going to get a DNA test for our dogge though. See exactly what kind of mutt he is...
This is a troll attempt, right? Please...

Neuter your mutt. And I can tell you what kind of dog he is pretty easy: Does he crap in the house? Does he tear your poo poo up? Does he dig up your yard? Does he bark uncontrollably outside? Is he vicious? If you said yes to any of those you have a bad dog. If you answered no--you have a good dog.

You can paypal me the $100.

Scruffyhawk
Jun 30, 2005

FHNNNNNNN
Ramrod XTreme
An older coworker of mine from my previous job worked with Croberts at Origin. When I was talking about how much of a dumpster fire Star Citizen is and mentioning Croberts offhandedly, he perked up and said "Chris Roberts is a reverse Midas, everything he touches turns to poo poo." Always cool to get first hand accounts.

That's my story, welp bye

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Sperglord posted:

For a while, I've wondered why CIG hasn't conclusively said no to rape (and romance) fantasies appearing in game. It looks like at least part of the reason is that a significant fraction of the fans want that.

This raises yet another problem, how does CIG know that a significant fraction of its backers want the rape fantasies? Did they learn what sort of group of fans they were making when they set up the company? Or was this a natural tendency which they enabled, due to its profitability? To state the problem plainly, CIG isn't conclusively ruling out rape fantasies because it is profitable to make some of the fans think that rape will be in game. That raise all sorts of interesting questions.

Ben has fostered the community he wants. That's all he knows how to do. He probably enjoys all that same sort of thing (remember the 'jokes' on his website). It might, on some level, be about profit, but ultimately this is the community Ben wants.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Jason Sextro posted:

Ben has fostered the community he wants. That's all he knows how to do. He probably enjoys all that same sort of thing (remember the 'jokes' on his website). It might, on some level, be about profit, but ultimately this is the community Ben wants.

Word

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Jason Sextro posted:

ultimately this is the community Ben wants.

Backers send food to the office and give him money to buy literal garbage because it's wing commander related.

This is not just the community Ben wants, it's the community he dreamed of having.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Jason Sextro posted:

your avatar reminds me how butthurt the believers got over that french article and how there's been nothing since to prove it wrong. Good times.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Star Citizen | 2011 - ?

poo poo he really clung onto the Wing Commander name as long as he could eh? Almost like he got super lucky with the first release and just road on it's success for the next 6 years

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

HycoCam posted:

Neuter your mutt. And I can tell you what kind of dog he is pretty easy: Does he crap in the house? Does he tear your poo poo up? Does he dig up your yard? Does he bark uncontrollably outside? Is he vicious? If you said yes to any of those you have a bad dog. If you answered no--you have a good dog.

bad dogs are just good dogs who don't know how

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Star Citizen | 2011 - ?

Does that timeline mean SC has been in development since 2003?

I mean, the ideas had to be percolating when Freelancer was published, right? Selling used cars just helped him formulate the jpeg business model.

Also, he was a designer on Ultima V? I think I need to take a shower.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sappo569 posted:

poo poo he really clung onto the Wing Commander name as long as he could eh? Almost like he got super lucky with the first release and just road on it's success for the next 6 years

I'm the "Original Concept" credit for Freelancer.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Which is the best part since Croberts has never come up with an original concept in his life.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

There it is, everyone laugh in Lazrin's stupid face.

Lazrin, you should know by now that the "B-buh but they had to build a compaaaannny!" line only works on :reddit:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

reality just got refactored

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Exinos posted:

Which is the best part since Croberts has never come up with an original concept in his life.

Its a credit to acknowledge you existed at the same time the game was being made.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You mean aside from the fact that I didn't actually promise anything? :D

I know that the average Goon has the attention span of a Gerbil on acid; but this whole thing for me - since day one - has been about vindication and to prove that i) they couldn't develop the game promised ii) they were actively running a scam. Nothing more. Nothing less.

My goal was never - ever - to tear down the project. Though burning their JPEGs was directed at the salty Shitizens who decided that waging an Internet war of attrition against me, was the best course of action.

As it stands, even when I took the gloves off and took legal action, I only asked them for three things in that legal demand letter we sent them:

1) refunds for those who ask // now happening as a result of my numerous writings explain how/why backers could/should get refunds. Then Streetroller literally took that ball and dropped it on CIG

2) a definitive release date for the project due to the ToS requirement // they removed the delivery date completely from the Tos. And croberts had stopped giving dates. then he started up again. backers are still hosed because they're all still pure bullshit

3) financial accountability for the money due to the ToS requirement // see #2 in which they removed this from the new ToS

So to say that I haven't delivered, or that my efforts haven't yielded any results, is without merit. Especially when you also consider that, in a sense, I have been somewhat vindicated because not only has he proven that the game pitched can't be made, he's also confident the shoving out an MVP is going to be perfectly OK

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Exinos posted:

Backers send food to the office and give him money to buy literal garbage because it's wing commander related.

This is not just the community Ben wants, it's the community he dreamed of having.

Absolutely, he's living his dream. I don't feel sorry for him because this is the life he dreams of - high priest of the cult of Roberts, spending his day poring over the minutiae of the holy texts of Wing Commander.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You can actually see how his narcisism takes hold on the time line

Lead Designer , producer, programmer (gently caress I'm the greatest I can do everything!!)

to

Producer and programmer (Let me show you how it's done!)

to

Producer (Let me tell you how its done!)

to

Creative Director (Ok I'm going to stand here and yell at you in complete indescribable gibberish)

to

Original Concept (I need more cocaine)

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

D_Smart posted:

You mean aside from the fact that I didn't actually promise anything? :D

I know that the average Goon has the attention span of a Gerbil on acid; but this whole thing for me - since day one - has been about vindication and to prove that i) they couldn't develop the game promised ii) they were actively running a scam. Nothing more. Nothing less.

My goal was never - ever - to tear down the project. Though burning their JPEGs was directed at the salty Shitizens who decided that waging an Internet war of attrition against me, was the best course of action.

As it stands, even when I took the gloves off and took legal action, I only asked them for three things in that legal demand letter we sent them:

1) refunds for those who ask // now happening as a result of my numerous writings explain how/why backers could/should get refunds. Then Streetroller literally took that ball and dropped it on CIG

2) a definitive release date for the project due to the ToS requirement // they removed the delivery date completely from the Tos. And croberts had stopped giving dates. then he started up again. backers are still hosed because they're all still pure bullshit

3) financial accountability for the money due to the ToS requirement // see #2 in which they removed this from the new ToS

So to say that I haven't delivered, or that my efforts haven't yielded any results, is without merit. Especially when you also consider that, in a sense, I have been somewhat vindicated because not only has he proven that the game pitched can't be made, he's also confident the shoving out an MVP is going to be perfectly OK

It was cute the first few times, but constantly saying "I didnt promise anything" While constantly promising us juicy dirt ....

And I believe you even had a tweet to the effect of "I'm going to burn this motherfucker to the ground RAWR!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

DEREK SMART RELEASE THE EMAILS

• Locked thread