Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

a whole buncha crows posted:

lol i have this cd

I've got Surrender to the Blender. Somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

alf_pogs posted:

bad dogs are just good dogs who don't know how
Truth! :regd09:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Here, have some (somewhat) appropriate lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2up7su7CeMU

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Scruffyhawk posted:

An older coworker of mine from my previous job worked with Croberts at Origin. When I was talking about how much of a dumpster fire Star Citizen is and mentioning Croberts offhandedly, he perked up and said "Chris Roberts is a reverse Midas, everything he touches turns to poo poo." Always cool to get first hand accounts.

That's my story, welp bye

Shouldn't reverse Midas turn things into dlog?

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

EminusSleepus posted:

crobits must have not known that if you try to hide you big belly by ihaling during picture taking it will just go up to your neck

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

You mean aside from the fact that I didn't actually promise anything? :D

I know that the average Goon has the attention span of a Gerbil on acid; but this whole thing for me - since day one - has been about vindication and to prove that i) they couldn't develop the game promised ii) they were actively running a scam. Nothing more. Nothing less.

My goal was never - ever - to tear down the project. Though burning their JPEGs was directed at the salty Shitizens who decided that waging an Internet war of attrition against me, was the best course of action.

As it stands, even when I took the gloves off and took legal action, I only asked them for three things in that legal demand letter we sent them:

1) refunds for those who ask // now happening as a result of my numerous writings explain how/why backers could/should get refunds. Then Streetroller literally took that ball and dropped it on CIG

2) a definitive release date for the project due to the ToS requirement // they removed the delivery date completely from the Tos. And croberts had stopped giving dates. then he started up again. backers are still hosed because they're all still pure bullshit

3) financial accountability for the money due to the ToS requirement // see #2 in which they removed this from the new ToS

So to say that I haven't delivered, or that my efforts haven't yielded any results, is without merit. Especially when you also consider that, in a sense, I have been somewhat vindicated because not only has he proven that the game pitched can't be made, he's also confident the shoving out an MVP is going to be perfectly OK

Derek, is it true that the 30,000 e-mails Hillary deleted were in fact you ranting to her about your demands, records of vindication and promises of ELE?

It's starting to make sense now. The federal building you stepped into was the Harry S. Truman building to meet Hillary and the burn you felt was her icy-cold stare into your soul when she told you to stop making baseless "legal" threats.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Star Citizen | 2011 - ?

All his best actual work was done pre-1990.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Derek accuses Goons of having terrible attention spans, never updates the OP.

:colbert:

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
You suck Derek.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

thatguy posted:

You suck Derek.
Get him Lazrin do your loving job.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

D_Smart posted:

I know that the average Goon has the attention span of a Gerbil on acid; but this whole thing for me - since day one - has been about vindication and to prove that i) they couldn't develop the game promised ii) they were actively running a scam. Nothing more. Nothing less.

My goal was never - ever - to tear down the project. Though burning their JPEGs was directed at the salty Shitizens who decided that waging an Internet war of attrition against me, was the best course of action.

As it stands, even when I took the gloves off and took legal action, I only asked them for three things in that legal demand letter we sent them:

1) refunds for those who ask // now happening as a result of my numerous writings explain how/why backers could/should get refunds. Then Streetroller literally took that ball and dropped it on CIG

2) a definitive release date for the project due to the ToS requirement // they removed the delivery date completely from the Tos. And croberts had stopped giving dates. then he started up again. backers are still hosed because they're all still pure bullshit

3) financial accountability for the money due to the ToS requirement // see #2 in which they removed this from the new ToS

So to say that I haven't delivered, or that my efforts haven't yielded any results, is without merit. Especially when you also consider that, in a sense, I have been somewhat vindicated because not only has he proven that the game pitched can't be made, he's also confident the shoving out an MVP is going to be perfectly OK

You promised just as much as Roberts, and both of you use the same strategy when confronted about failing to meet expectations. You both deny any actual promises were made (which is technically true) and then divert back to your primary talking points (dreams for Chris, vindication for you). Anyway it's cool. Either you'll have something tomorrow or you won't, just like either CIG will show SQ42 or they'll sell some ships instead.

I never said your efforts have failed to produce results. That would be like saying CIG has nothing to show for their money, which is clearly false. But you and Chris are both guilty of hyperbole, and neither of you have successfully met the expectations you have set.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
At least he isn't asking for money.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Yeah that's definitely a big positive. Also he can take a joke.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

cool new Polack jokes posted:

One of them has cost gullible nerds millions of dollars, and one of them has helped said nerds get some of that money back

really makes u think

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Tane

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Train

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah that's definitely a big positive. Also he can take a joke.

He also has enough sense not to drag his family in to the bullshit with him

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Tame

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

:same:

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

HycoCam posted:

Infinity Ward 05/2002
Call of Duty 11/2003 1.5 years
Call of Duty 2 12/2005 25 months
Call of Duty 4 11/2007 23 months
Modern Warfare 11/2009 2.0 years
Modern Warfare 3 11/2011 2.0 years
Ghosts 11/2013 2.0 years
Infinite Warfare 11/2016 3.0 years

So going with Chris Roberts is an amazing developer who started creating computer games in the 1990's--long before those hacks working at Infinity Ward even knew how to code. And seeing how Chris selected CryEngine which has been proven time and time again to be amazing! Add in the fact Cloud Imperium has hired away from CryTek some of the key talent involved actually creating the engine. CIG has even hired the man who literally wrote the book on CryEngine! Wow--is CIG not awesome. What an amazing team--after two three four five years I'm sure what they will show off will blow our minds be a slideshow.

It takes a long time to form a development company and get all the staffing in place and put out your first hit game. Look at Infinity Ward and how long it took them to......oooh.

But of course, they had hundreds of...oh wait, only 27 people?

ComfyPants fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 2, 2016

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
here's the problem

CIG has to push out a new patch before years end. this cannot be 2.6 (with FPS mechanics) or 3.0 or anything star marine related because its so loving broken
  • their current matchmaking breaks every drat thing on the server
  • it also breaks your client when two people try and use cover at the same time
  • half the time you still respawn inside your bunk during a match
  • the new arena FPS maps are still buggy as hell (clipping, wall walking, etc) and have to get redone
  • the replacement arena maps are areas that have been wholly lifted from current areas, like grimhex
  • roberts doesn't want "maps" but entire seamless areas ("Shoot in the same universe you can fly in.")
  • this is not so good for the servers or players in ships flying around outside the hostile zone (which is why the arena style maps are still being worked on)
  • the team is confused on what exactly they are putting together and what roberts wants to release
  • there's a separate module for SM but roberts wants it folded into the universe
  • lag is bad, really loving bad, even with less than a dozen players
  • the instance network code is six months to a year out for rudimentary matches (24 to 36 players, small arena type maps, etc)
  • a year+ out for higher matches (multiple areas, surface to air combat, 50+ players etc)
  • the much touted "local physics grids" don't work for poo poo with FPS stuffs

they are discussing prepping the flight model changes and releasing that as 2.6 instead, with star marine being totally folded into 3.0. but this is a big problem, because chris said star marine is weeks away back in september

they are kinda hosed either way so I'm really interested to see what they do. if they really do end up pushing out 2.6 with star marine in its current state, I don't think the game will survive. its like, not playable. you can only wave your hands around and say alpha so many times before people start figuring out this is the game they just paid $2500 to play

current standing at the office is there will be no more numbered releases until 3.0 in late 2017/2018, after the sq42 prelude/episode 1 is released. I posted that awhile back but it's looking more and more like 2.5 will be the last patch for SC for quite awhile

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
and they absolutely have to get SQ42 out the door, even if its just the prelude, in 2017

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

TheAgent posted:

here's the problem

CIG has to push out a new patch before years end. this cannot be 2.6 (with FPS mechanics) or 3.0 or anything star marine related because its so loving broken
  • the new arena FPS maps are still buggy as hell (clipping, wall walking, etc) and have to get redone
  • the replacement arena maps are areas that have been wholly lifted from current areas, like grimhex
  • roberts doesn't want "maps" but entire seamless areas ("Shoot in the same universe you can fly in.")
  • this is not so good for the servers or players in ships flying around outside the hostile zone (which is why the arena style maps are still being worked on)
  • the team is confused on what exactly they are putting together and what roberts wants to release
  • there's a separate module for SM but roberts wants it folded into the universe
  • the instance network code is six months to a year out for rudimentary matches (24 to 36 players, small arena type maps, etc)
  • a year+ out for higher matches (multiple areas, surface to air combat, 50+ players etc)

they are discussing prepping the flight model changes and releasing that as 2.6 instead, with star marine being totally folded into 3.0. but this is a big problem, because chris said star marine is weeks away back in september

they are kinda hosed either way so I'm really interested to see what they do. if they really do end up pushing out 2.6 with star marine in its current state, I don't think the game will survive. its like, not playable. you can only wave your hands around and say alpha so many times before people start figuring out this is the game they just paid $2500 to play

current standing at the office is there will be no more numbered releases until 3.0 in late 2017/2018, after the sq42 prelude/episode 1 is released. I posted that awhile back but it's looking more and more like 2.5 will be the last patch for SC for quite awhile

drat this is insane. if the brown sea is stormy now then Jan is going to be biblical.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
1 patch per month hyyyyyyyype

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

as someone said upthread, they can put out 2.59, 2.599, 2.5999, etc.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I also think derek has at the very least strongly alluded to having earth shattering truthbombs and then never dropped them, repeatedly. Promise or not, it isn't following through.

But that's okay, I haven't given him any money, so what he posts or doesn't and how that makes him look is up to him v:shobon:v

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Star Citizen Information Defense Strategy, as brought to you by Cymelion

Me: Prove to me I know more about the project than you do, and that CIG is anything but reliable and trustworthy.

:downs: : Links to my reddit profile its all there just go look for it yourself

Are all backers that dumb? Even wheeraboos put more effort into their arguments...

Flarpy
Aug 13, 2016

Jason Sextro posted:

as someone said upthread, they can put out 2.59, 2.599, 2.5999, etc.

Hey guys
2.59999... = 2.6

Yes or no? Why?

Though CIG math I guess 2.6 = 3.0 = { }

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Wow. Denying that animals can have a pesonality on their own, be it good or bad in 2016. You believe in a god and think that women are less smart than men right ?
Yes. Just attained the last page again. Now I wait for Dr. Smart to publish his last blog post, an umpteenth refactor of his previous blog posts.

Zzr fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Nov 2, 2016

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

More like Zzz amirite

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

D_Smart posted:

You did promise the mod challenges over the last weekend though. Still not seeing those.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Ghostlight posted:

More like Zzz amirite

Is it you on your portrait ? You seems to have proportions problem, I hope you are on health watch. Or you shouldn't aplly so many filters on your selfies.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
One must admit it takes something pretty special to modify a FPS engine into a spaceshhip one and end with a chimera that can do neither. The dumbest, most expensive chimera that has the assholes of multiple animals.

Meanwhile, some other dudes have managed to implement a spaceship/amusement park gryphon that I bet would do FPS better than SC.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Just kidding, Wolfenstein (my phone is a nerd and properly guessed that) on the SNES had better FPS action than SC.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

simplefish posted:

I also think derek has at the very least strongly alluded to having earth shattering truthbombs and then never dropped them, repeatedly. Promise or not, it isn't following through.

But that's okay, I haven't given him any money, so what he posts or doesn't and how that makes him look is up to him v:shobon:v
I imagine what must happen in the LA office. Everyone huddled together looking at the ceiling trying to not make a sound until the Derek threat passes.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

TheAgent posted:

and they absolutely have to get SQ42 out the door, even if its just the prelude, in 2017

Any particular reason? Loan/investor condition? Some state or federal bureau? Worries about losing backer confidence?

Poor CIG employees. After watching the Road to CitizenCon and then playing the Remastered Modern Warfare, I realize Chris Roberts won't be able to deliver anything with the production value of 2007's Modern Warfare much less 2016's Infinite Warfare.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Flarpy posted:

Hey guys
2.59999... = 2.6

Yes or no? Why?

Though CIG math I guess 2.6 = 3.0 = { }

Wow some amateurs all up in this thread.

Why would you go to 2.5999 when you can go 2.5.1.1.2?

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

TheAgent posted:

here's the problem

don't underestimate the sperg, they are the sperg , they will accept anything crobits will throw at them and appreciate it for they are the sperg

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Lazrin posted:

no matter how much i lower my expectations of the posters in this forum, i'm always disappointed.

ouch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Zzr posted:

Is it you on your portrait ? You seems to have proportions problem, I hope you are on health watch. Or you shouldn't aplly so many filters on your selfies.

Me next, me next!

• Locked thread