Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How successful will Class be?
K-9 and Company level
Torchwood level
The Sarah Jane Adventures level
Somehow more successful than any of those
View Results

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7VsMnTUYwg

What is Class?

Class takes place at Coal Hill School Academy, best known to Doctor Who fans as where Barbara Wright, Ian Chesterton, and Clara Oswald all taught (50 years apart, mind you). This show will take a look at a group of students attending Coal Hill Academy, their teen angst, and the occasional monster appearing to cause trouble.

Who's making this crap?

Patrick Ness is the creator and writer of Class. He's best known as a writer of A Monster Calls and the Chaos Walking trilogy of books. Ness, along with Stephen Moffat and Brian Minchin, will be executive producers.

Where can I watch this?

BBC Three will show the episodes first in the UK before being shown on BBC One. In the United States, BBC America will carry the series...eventually. Canada's showing this day-and-date on Space and Australia's doing something too, I'd imagine.

Is this show going to be any good?

I don't know, Class isn't made for me! It's for edgy teenagers who want to see other edgy teenagers deal with their hormones and possibly a Cyberman (there will probably be no Cybermen). We'll see if the show's a success - if Torchwood can capture people's imaginations, certainly Torchwood 4 Teens can do the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I'm gonna loving watch this thing.

Even if it's worse that all the spin offs in the poll up there, it will still be better than that loving australian K9 show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The first episode has the Doctor in it, right? So I'll probably watch that episode at least.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
At the very least it should probably be less rape-y than Torchwood, right?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
We can only hope.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I assume that Sarah Jane Adventures losing the poll is because it a) made the most sense, and b) is because its cringieness best meshed with Doctor Who's?

Also, why aren't there separate poll options for Torchwood and Children of Earth?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
It's trying to distinguish itself from torchwood with the title, as Torchwood did not have any class.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
People complaining about this being YA (not in this thread), are aware that Doctor Who is a kids show, right?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Giving this a watch, it's on abc iView for any australians wanting a look.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Alright, first episode wasn't too bad eventually. some lovely character set up, oh no some of them are aliens, but are they bad aliens etc

poo poo theme song

once the doctor shows up it got better, but he won't always be there to save us from bad tv.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Second episode, so it's not just the alien teacher from the first episode, turns out all the teachers are cunts

i like it so far, gonna keep watching this

don't take that as a judgement of its quality, this is me remember.

BSam fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 22, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Watching the first episode and the teacher so far seems like the writer and actress heard someone complaining about the negative qualities of the Twelfth Doctor and went "Oh, so they didn't go FAR enough!"

EDIT: Oh, ok, so she and weird kid are baddies the Doctor has stuck on Earth to teach a lesson? (Still only 12 mins in)

DOUBLE GDT EDIT: Oh, OK, so alien prince and indentured bodyguard sent to Earth to hide by Ten?

Also, "LEAVE US! WE ARE DECORATING." was pretty funny.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 23, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Watched the first episode, there were bits I liked but overall it was pretty flat. Even Capaldi showing up didn't do much to save it, and sadly I find most of the cast rather irritating. I'm pretty obviously not the target audience though, as was definitely shown by the rather-on-the-nose section where the students list a number of CW-esque teen action-dramas that bear striking similarities to their own situation.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Liked it fine enough. Thought the teens were sketched in well, will watch ep2.

Hearing the RTD-era Doctor/Time Lord theme when the Tardis appeared was, sadly, one of the more exciting bits of the show for me.

Also, the Doctor trying to sell us on "this team of teens is going to be real great to handle space-time horrors, just as I would!" always feels empty in those shows.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
for a pilot, okay I guess.

I will be calling it The Degrassi Junior Who High from now on.

So far the blonde teacher/servant/slave (Miss Quill) is pretty much stealing all scenes, but is kinda boring when she isn't involved.

I kinda liked the shadow king story arc and the diversity of the cast as a whole, but I still stand by the fact I wish they would have spent the money on a Patternoster trio split off series instead.

still better then Torchwood so that's something.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
"Maths and alcoholic beverages - the best way to spend a morning!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Box of Bunnies posted:

"Maths and alcoholic beverages - the best way to spend a morning!"

Doctor is now a true Scotsman.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Watched both. I thought ok. Very English Buffy, which I guess is what they were going for.

First episode struggled a bit for the doctor just showing up out of nowhere, but then I guess that helps shortcut the universe it's in.

Second episode was complete American high school, sports team, buffy the vampire slayer episode. I went to British secondary schools and sixth forms for my education during that period of my life. Mainly due to being British, and living in Britain. Don't ever remember anyone having that sort of coach coach coach thing going on. Maybe I spent too much time in the pub. It wasn't bad though.

It's too obvious where it's going. Prince guy is gonna be angry and vengeful, blonde lady will learn from non-violence. Maybe the journey will be fun. There's a lot worse out their.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm mostly in agreement. Episode 2 was exceedingly similar to a season 2 episode of Buffy, actually. In that one, the swimming coach was turning students into fishmonsters. I think there was even a subplot with a lead character mourning a loss (Giles mourning Jenny Calendar, maybe?)

I like the Indian kid's dad, though. The actor's done a lot with very little so far to make the guy seem likeable and make it understandable why his son would think it's OK to confide the aliens and the Doctor's new leg and stuff to him.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Does every kid in this series have only one parent or less?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Carbon dioxide posted:

It's not like they've got Doctor Who money, they can only afford one parent per.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
When trying to evacuate the prom (by the way, unless things have really changed, we don't have those in UK schools. Mine certainly didn't), why not just pull the fire alarm rather than having a cringeworthy speech about how nobody listens to you?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

When trying to evacuate the prom (by the way, unless things have really changed, we don't have those in UK schools. Mine certainly didn't), why not just pull the fire alarm rather than having a cringeworthy speech about how nobody listens to you?

Did you not have sixth-form formals?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Did you not have sixth-form formals?

Nope. :(

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Doctor Who loving sucks!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Wait, wait, poo poo. gently caress. I...drat. Hmm.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The first two episodes of this were really good, though I did find the level of gore very surprising (and the Doctor felt very out of place).

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Carbon dioxide posted:

British people reproduce by parthenogenesis.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

cargohills posted:

The first two episodes of this were really good, though I did find the level of gore very surprising (and the Doctor felt very out of place).

Yeah, I think when they announced it was going to be set in a school everybody thought it would be more Sarah Jane, but instead it turned out to be more Torchwood.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Sorry, pal. It is you who are wrong, not the children. :( Prom is totally a thing here

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Seeing 12 show up in the first episode got me stoked for the new Doctor Who series but it was also pretty good on its own. Actually enjoyed the second episode just as much and I went into all this with pretty low expectations.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

So how does this rate versus The Librarians, because it kind of sounds like that but with the Doctor instead of Noah Wyle, but I can't imagine a show with worse acting than The Librarians.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

raditts posted:

So how does this rate versus The Librarians, because it kind of sounds like that but with the Doctor instead of Noah Wyle, but I can't imagine a show with worse acting than The Librarians.

Well, Class involves sassily troubled teens (and an enslaved but lonely adult sociopath) who have almost no real survival skills or resources to fight off small-scale unearthly horrors. The Librarians are depthless cartoon people fighting "threats" from books and stories that the show-writers didn't read or understand with dumb magic whatsits. They both resolve their problems with moxie and friendship and mildly silly deus-ex-machinas, but the Librarians has it beat for general insufferableness of the characters.

I guess Teen Show dramatic acting is not really a highlight for Class thus far, but for the first couple of aired episodes it looks like they're at least making an effort to put some character growth and human moments into the scripts. And the Doctor is probably going to be more rare than Librarian Noah is, fwiw.

ThaGhettoJew fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Oct 27, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I almost wonder if the Clara moment in the first episode is them trying to foreshadow a Jenna guest appearance down the line? Her being the teens' 'supply teacher' for an episode where Quill's off doing something else or captured could be fun.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

The prince is officially renamed Prince Doofus in my world as he's easily the weak point of the team. "I don't like knives." in a word, yesh.

liked the concept of the episode, Miss Quill steals the episode regularly. most of the kids seem okay (and considering I think that was the black student from that stupid moon episode, that's seriously impressive).

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The_Doctor posted:

Proms have been a massive deal in the UK for a few years now.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

shades of eternity posted:

(and considering I think that was the black student from that stupid moon episode, that's seriously impressive).

Ellis George playing a character named Courtney Woods >< Vivian Oparah playing a character named Tanya Adeola.

But it would have been a nice callback for them to have re-used the character.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Episode 3. yeah this is pretty awesome

the "dad" actor is delightfully creepy

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This isn't bad, it's kind of a bit of Skins mixed with Buffy and Doctor Who. As was said, Quaill steals every scene she is in, though I do hope they get rid of her "i can't use weapons" thing soon. Plus :pervert: she's really gorgeous

Something I do like is how it's "what happens after the doctor saves the day?" themed. Ram's leg is one of those things you'd see at the end of an episode and here we have it changing his life for the worse because he just can't handle everything. The cast being so diverse is really nice, but I feel the BBC has been really good for doing that, at least on shows aimed at younger people.

Episode 3 was by far the best of them so far. I loved when Quail was so quick to jump to violence in that situation, because clearly, this was some bad poo poo.

Though my favorite thing is how the Folk Girl imagining the Princes world was terrible basically imagining not even a space school, but just like a chinese restaurant school, becuase she's bad at imaging things. Though the whole "oh you and the shadow king share a heart now" is really silly because it's either going to be the major thing in an episode or not even mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Man are these kids just as irresponsible as torchwood or what.

When your having shadow issues, getting intimate is probably not the best decision.

Miss Quill you have an uphill battle if ever there was one. Thank you for your service and try to keep your ethics. You're the main reason I'm still watching it.

quit confirming that Sarah Janes kids are our only hope for anything resembling a golden age for earth.

• Locked thread