Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
That starlit sky is just magnificient

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Base Camp

Overcrowded and disneyland like. I saw people getting there on horses.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Did it smell bad?

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

The summit looks pretty clear to me. Get to climbing!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

elwood posted:

I'm in Gorak Shep right now. The toilettes are frozen solid and covered in frozen poo poo.

Strap frozen turds to your boots w/rubber bands.

Die frozen in ski-jump pose.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Those are glorious photographs. Thank you for sharing them. (Is photography your hobby/profession when you aren't surrounded by frozen poo poo?)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Sony was focused on making a decent console without taking any risks. Nintendo was down to take a few risks but still make it a decent console. Sega was going full Atari.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Cojawfee posted:

Sony was focused on making a decent console without taking any risks. Nintendo was down to take a few risks but still make it a decent console. Sega was going full Atari.

Are you experiencing HACE?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Cojawfee posted:

What is the failed everest summit corpsicle of consoles? The Wii U?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Were you the one that won the farcry 4 contest?

Took you long enough to get there goddamn

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Outrail posted:

Are you experiencing HACE?

Phone app sometimes puts things in the wrong thread. :(

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Cojawfee posted:

The hill start assist is designed to help prevent the vehicle from rolling backwards when starting on an incline or slippery slope. To activate the hill start assist, fully depress the brake pedal until the Slip Indicator blinks and you hear a beep. The brakes will continue to be held and the brake lights left on until the accelerator is touched or two seconds have elapsed since the driver has released the brake pedal. The parking brake must not be applied otherwise hill start assist will not activate.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
It's crazy to think that somewhere between George Mallory and Sandy Irvine lies Elwood, already buried in a pile of food wrappers, canned air, canned sodas

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
He's probably been dead since the Gokyo ascent. The one posting is his faithful sherpa which took the oath of updating the trip on SA.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
This will end of a "selife" of his frozen corpse.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

pfft i could climb it

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
View from Kala Pattar

And proof that i'm still alive, ugly and fat.

elwood fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 5, 2017

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Those are glorious photographs. Thank you for sharing them. (Is photography your hobby/profession when you aren't surrounded by frozen poo poo?)

Thanks, but no. You can't take bad pictures up here.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

So how big are those chunks of crumbly ice there, the perspective is making me think they're small but I know they're not.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

No no wait I got this

Sony= Russell Brice
Nintendo= Tim Medvitz
Sega= Yellow Jumpsuit Canadian woman

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

elwood posted:

i spent some time in the high rockies and yeah, as long as your horizon was close to level you were p much ansel adams

i imagine it's even more so in the himalayas

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

So how big are those chunks of crumbly ice there, the perspective is making me think they're small but I know they're not.

Small car to large house.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

elwood posted:

Requesting a pic of the overflowing latrines as proof you can take a lovely photo up there.

But seriously, can you get some pics of the less glamorous poo poo? Rubbish piles and whatnot.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I believe we were expecting corpse pics.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

elwood posted:

Dzongla to Lobuche

Base Camp tomorrow.

You've got to be kidding me. I didn't know the night sky could look like this anywhere.

Edit

This reminds me. The thread has a little to much positive content and is a little light on the me laughing at people dying on mountains since it's been moved here. :skeltal:

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 2, 2016

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

ZombieLenin posted:

You've got to be kidding me. I didn't know the night sky could look like this anywhere.

Really bright but looks like the same view you'll get on a boat 200 miles out to sea. And yeah, it's probably one of the things I miss most having been off maritime work for 5 years. Turns out the amount of light & pollution a city puts out really blocks what you'll see of the stars.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, high altitude does some incredible stuff for the night sky. So does a lack of light pollution. The most benign ordinary night at altitude, even near a town, will be as brilliant as the most rare perfect night at sea level.

Same deal as the photography thing; the rockies were incredible at 10k feet, so I imagine the himalayas are even more so.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

ZombieLenin posted:

It looked like this when I was near the Sahara. Unfortunately I didn't have a decent enough camera to capture it.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

This is awesome, good job and great photos!

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Maluco Marinero posted:

Really bright but looks like the same view you'll get on a boat 200 miles out to sea. And yeah, it's probably one of the things I miss most having been off maritime work for 5 years. Turns out the amount of light & pollution a city puts out really blocks what you'll see of the stars.

No poo poo! The sky doesn't even look like this out in the middle of a national forest in the continental US.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In all fairness, his camera is taking quite a long exposure. I'm sure that's the Pleiaides (M45) just above the edge of that mountain shot, he's resolving more stars than normally the naked eye is capable of (down to about magnitude 8 - see https://www.naic.edu/~gibson/pleiades/pleiades_see.html). So very likely you're seeing more stars in the photo than he could see with his eyes, although I'd believe that that altitude is giving him about another half a point of magnitude, perhaps.

e. Side-by-side:

This is v<=8 on the right, and as you can see, far more stars are visible. I'm guessing this photo is going town to at least 9, maybe 10, which is definitely beyond human eyesight even accounting for the dark skies and altitude.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 3, 2016

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

elwood posted:

Small car to large house.

Perspective is a hell of a thing.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

In all fairness, his camera is taking quite a long exposure. I'm sure that's the Pleiaides (M45) just above the edge of that mountain shot, he's resolving more stars than normally the naked eye is capable of (down to about magnitude 8 - see https://www.naic.edu/~gibson/pleiades/pleiades_see.html). So very likely you're seeing more stars in the photo than he could see with his eyes, although I'd believe that that altitude is giving him about another half a point of magnitude, perhaps.

e. Side-by-side:

This is v<=8 on the right, and as you can see, far more stars are visible. I'm guessing this photo is going town to at least 9, maybe 10, which is definitely beyond human eyesight even accounting for the dark skies and altitude.
This is the best post I have read in a long time. I knew that almost no matter where you were on earth, that it was hard to get a view like this, but this post articulated why in a way that my amateur-astronomer rear end never could.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Perspective is a hell of a thing.

It's loving annoying. You try and take a picture of something completely mind-blowing and there's no way the viewer can comprehend it. Take this photo I took standing at the base of Mt. Birdwood here at home.

This is what it looks like from a different perspective (not my photo):

The view looking up at the spire of a peak, that massive vertical face, was unbelievable. I was looking up the east face which is the left-hand side in this pic. There's no way of comprehending that experience in a 2D photo like that.

So when you see mountain photos and think "Holy poo poo" just remember it's probably a thousand times more magestic in real life.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

ZombieLenin posted:

This reminds me. The thread has a little to much positive content and is a little light on the me laughing at people dying on mountains since it's been moved here. :skeltal:

Then lets go back to the roots. Sorry couldn't get a yellow jacket.

As for the night sky photo. That was a 20 or 30 second exposure. Nevertheless, beeing from light poluted europe, I've never seen a sky like that before.

elwood fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 5, 2017

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Something's off...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

elwood posted:

Then lets go back to the roots. Sorry couldn't get a yellow jacket.

As for the night sky photo. That was a 20 or 30 second exposure. Nevertheless, beeing from light poluted europe, I've never seen a sky like that before.

lmao. i'm so jealous of you. And a coworker of mine was at base camp last week. god drat you both that's so cool.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Outrail posted:

But seriously, can you get some pics of the less glamorous poo poo? Rubbish piles and whatnot.

I haven't seen rubbish piles and trust me, I've been to India and know how to spot trash. All I can do is tons and tons of yak poo poo all over the trails.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

(I couldn't remember the original source pic for the background so, meh.)

Good work Elwood. Good work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Leperflesh posted:

Stars and poo poo

So in the space movies when they're looking out the window and there's a splash of a few dozen stars, should it instead be more like a metric poo poo ton of multicolored dots all over the place, or have they got it right?