Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Party Plane Jones posted:

Corvo spends 6 months getting tortured in the prison after the assassination so your estimate is off.

i was referring to the stuff after coldridge

orcane posted:

My point is that the issue is largely in the function of Batman vision, and that just adding a cost only makes it more obnoxious to use, it doesn't greatly change the fact that you want to use it as often as possible.
well i was presuming you were trying to make a point that wasn't as insane on its face as this one, silly me for giving people some credit

the function of possession is that you can walk around and do most things you need to do to complete the game and it negates the stealth system basically entirely. but people don't abuse it and don't want to because it costs too much and makes you move slowly. in an ideal world you would use possession as often as possible, but people don't because of the cost.

hell right between your two posts we have this gentleman:

kikkelivelho posted:

Yeah most people probably like the passive regen which is why I said it should be an optional toggle like the guard vertical vision cones. For me the lack of regen would immediately make resource management more important, suddenly even something as simple as blink has a real cost associated with it and you need to consider your movements and actions a lot more carefully. It also balances the powers without nerfing their actual effects. I was constantly capped at 10 mana vials in the original and never felt like my resources were limited which made the exploration feel a bit meaningless at times. I still searched every corner I found because the art and level design are best in class but I'd really like to have an actual gameplay reason for the exploration.
who is literally talking about costs making him not want to use things all the time

your premise is completely wrong here so uh "no"? do you have a different way of presenting this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Hitman™ has batman-vision but you walk slow when doing it and can't interact with anything. Like it's strictly for observation. It works well in that context since it's a powerful tool but it's impossible to actually play the game with it on all the time.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
About Darkvision in Dishonored 2, the internet says:

quote:

Now when you activate Dark Vision, it sends out three pulses eight seconds apart. When you move the next pulse happens from your new location, and the spheres per pulse can overlap.

Which seems about right. :)

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

kikkelivelho posted:

e: One of the bigger complaints I and others had of the first game was that it wasn't challenging enough so making the game look even easier doesn't really make sense to me but I guess Bethesda thinks this is the best way to demo the game.

It's probably to combat the "I have no thumbs" plague that games journalists/twitch streamers trying a game usually seem to have. You know the one where it says "Press A to block" on the screen while the journo who theoretically plays games for a living says things like "I CAN'T BLOCK WHAT IS GOING ON I NEED TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO BLOCK"

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Resource posted:

that's a great way to handle the issue

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I might actually use dark vision now that it looks less like the cheat-y wallhack button.

I also just finished up the two DLCs, having bought them on release but ignoring them after. The corrupted bone charms with big bonuses but negative traits as well were a really cool idea, but they showed up way too late to be useful. Some more interesting negative effects are needed if they use them in D2 though, because "mana doesn't regen" is a really weak one and they used it for like 1/3 of them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Resource posted:

Agreed. Looked like they changed it. I like the sound of that.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the corrupted bone charms were random just the same as other bone charms; for a stealth or speed run, the Zephyr charm was a huge boon if it was the first one you picked up, because ostensibly you weren't planning to take a whole lot of damage anyway. alternately, if you're gonna waltz through and stab anything that looks at you funny, Tank is amazing if you can manage to get it early on. this sort of randomization was the biggest thing people hated in terms of bone charms, though, so the crafting system we've talked about in Dishonored 2 will presumably make it easier to beeline to big things that you value highly.

like strong arms comes immediately to mind as one of the things that you should just pray to whatever god you worship to get in Dishonored 1 if you're talking about doing a low chaos run.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 11, 2016

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
imo it's really crazy that batman introduced two huge game changing methods of gameplay. when was the last time a game did that once let alone twice?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Are you sure batman started the see through walls mechanic? Could have sworn it's been around for a while beige that.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
as far as I know it was the first one to introduce it as a regular gameplay feature and with its full function of uses, item higlighting, objective, routes, etc. it was pretty inevitable with the increasing graphical complexity of games but I think it was the first

actually, having now just looked it up there was apparently a tomb raider game that was developed concurrently but did it first, so yeah, while a bit of inevitability there with it being in two games at once it was definitely batman that popularized it of the two

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i own dishonored 1 already. how much do you guys think i should ask for if i go to sell the digital code that comes with dishonored 2?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Real hurthling! posted:

I own Dishonored 1 already. How much do you guys think I should ask for if I go to sell the digital code that comes with dishonored 2?

Lowest price on Is There Any Deal for the GOTY edition right now is $13.35.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Real hurthling! posted:

i own dishonored 1 already. how much do you guys think i should ask for if i go to sell the digital code that comes with dishonored 2?

5-6 dollars maybe? It's not exactly worth much by this time. It's been low low low very many times.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

thanks guys. i'll see what the TGGS thread will offer when i get it then

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Alternatively, give it to a friend, let them become a fellow Dishonorite.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Someone posted that cover of Gold Dust Woman without the game sound effects from the trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RVQJyiJGqc

It's so good god drat :allears:

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Do we have any official news on system requirements yet? Random internet sites say a GF 570 as the Recommended, but that seems way low for a 2016 game.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Zephro posted:

Do we have any official news on system requirements yet? Random internet sites say a GF 570 as the Recommended, but that seems way low for a 2016 game.

It might be low, but I don't think it's impossible. The first game had some relatively low system requirements for it's time, if I remember right. It got a lot of mileage out of the "oil painting" art design.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

This is neat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2JvtKTSWxU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Wow, more games need to try stuff like this.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't know if that was a joke, but practically every AAA game does those now.

I don't think I get live action trailers. Seems like a dumb way to advertise a game.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Capn Beeb posted:

Someone posted that cover of Gold Dust Woman without the game sound effects from the trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RVQJyiJGqc

It's so good god drat :allears:

i usually hate updating OPs because it feels like i'm writing a dynamic advertisement for the game or something but i went ahead and threw this into the OP because nice.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Hope the system specs come out soon and are not too high. This year has been weird in that regard, Doom ran just fine on ultra as did Witcher 3 last year but Hitman and Just Cause 3 ran like poo poo even on medium (and too my eyes, didn't look much better than the ones that ran fine), really hoping this is the former rather than the latter, it's my most anticipated game of the year and I'd much rather get it on the PC than PS4.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
https://bethesda.net/en/article/4niPcXgvlmM0a6suYe220S/dishonored-2-gone-gold-and-system-requirements

quote:

PC SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

Minimum:

Windows 7/8/10 (64-bit versions); Intel Core i5-2400/AMD FX-8320 or better
8 GB RAM; 60 GB free HDD space; NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB/AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB or better

Recommended:

Windows 10 (64-bit versions); Intel Core i7-4770/AMD FX-8350 or better
16 GB RAM; 60 GB free HDD space; NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB/AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB or better

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Note: The GTX 1060 and RX 480 didn't even exist for most of the game's development, so if you don't meet the recommended GPU, you probably shouldn't worry about it.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Aren't those recommended GPUs effectively GTX980's and RX290X's, respectively?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Honestly if the game is well-optimized you could probably do just as well on as low as a GTX 960, if their recommendation is brand-new absolute top of the line poo poo. Of course, the 1060 is the low end of the 10-series, and we don't know how good the game's performance overall is yet, but you almost certainly don't need to go that high.

I say this because the 1070 is what I have now, and the 960 I had before it was a real tanky guy. I had almost their recommended specs exactly (slightly newer CPU) and I could max out pretty much any game at 1080p. :shrug:

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Yup, those specs seem a bit more plausible than a 570, heh. I have an r9 285 so I guess I'm due a GPU upgrade. Oh well.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 2, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
My only hope for Dishonored 2 is that its like D1 but longer. I'm in no rush to play it though so I'll just wait until after release to see how long it was from people who have beaten it, and possibly wait for it to go on sale. If its longer than D1 I'll probably pick it up at launch.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

My only hope for Dishonored 2 is that its like D1 but longer. I'm in no rush to play it though so I'll just wait until after release to see how long it was from people who have beaten it, and possibly wait for it to go on sale. If its longer than D1 I'll probably pick it up at launch.

I'm not in a huge rush to play it, either. I mean, it looks fantastic and all, but I just got done with the Dishonored DLCs and I'm currently busy poopsocking BF1 and have a huge backlog of Steam games and not enough time and and and...

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yeah the video cards aside those specs are pretty chill, and he video card is always the first thing to get exaggerated in official specs for a whole host of reasons.

GETTIN HYPE

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I just hope the PS4 version runs at a smooth 30. If they're advertising that the engine the game is using is based on idTech it better loving run well, dammit!

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

The engine is idTech5, basically what The New Order was running on. They've probably made some small updates but the performance should be comparable to TNO. Unless someone hosed up somewhere.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

While Void is based on idTech 5 Mitton and other Arkane devs have stated that they've rewritten 70 to 80 percent of the engine so comparisons to idTech 5 probably aren't that useful.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

They said it's about 50 percent longer so...15 hoursish probably?

I just hope they throw in some extra challenge stuff since there's no multi.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

veni veni veni posted:

This is perfect for me. I'm just getting off of back-to-back runs of Dragon Age Inquisition and Witcher 3, and I need a break.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

veni veni veni posted:

I just hope they throw in some extra challenge stuff since there's no multi.

15 hours sounds good, I'm not expecting anything too crazy long but I beat Dishonored 1 and was honestly like "...that's it?". Although I did re-play a couple levels. IMO some of that should have been included in the base game or released as a free patch.

The DLC for Dishonored 1 really added a lot. Any word on post-release content for D2? Not that I'm in any hurry to pay extra.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dishonored 1 takes vastly different amounts of time to play through depending on how much you care about stealth and explore the levels fully vs just murderbrawl your way through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I found it very re-playable as well, but definitely do agree that the dlc was a welcome addition to the length. IIRC it got some early flak for being short because someone blasted through it in a few hours right before release which I thought was incredibly stupid.

• Locked thread