Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

It's true. All of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Well, Sonic 06 wrote itself out of canon, but is it canon that it write itself out of canon?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The POTUS having a framed photo of Sonic and Shadow on his desk is canon to real life.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Augus posted:

Well, Sonic 06 wrote itself out of canon, but is it canon that it write itself out of canon?

Of course. Otherwise it'd be canon.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If Sonic 06 isn't canon then why does Silver keep showing up in all the new games?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

If Sonic 06 isn't canon then why does Silver keep showing up in all the new games?

Someone's gotta make the rest of the cast look good.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

They re-introduced him in some PSP game. Sonic Rivals or something.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

he came back from the future to enlist sonic's help fighting sonic black (not shadow)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lizard Wizard posted:

Define canonical.

1, 2, CD, 3, Knuckles.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Groovelord Neato posted:

1, 2, CD, 3, Knuckles.

1, 2, cd, 3, knuckles, and then everyone dies in spinball

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Rivals and DS Colours don't count due to being spinoffs and alternate versions respectively, while Generations is only loosely canon due to time travel related shenanigans. So any Silver appearances post-Sonic 06 don't count in my mind, and by god they'd better keep it that way.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

What Sega considers canon changes pretty regularly but currently it's pretty nonsensical. What little has been leaked from the current series bible is weird as hell, like Sonic's world and Earth (the one in the adventure games) being two separate worlds that Sonic can travel between through a gate like in Sonic X. The only way for something resembling "canon" to make sense is to just consider the current game and whatever other games it references it's own canon.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Rivals and DS Colours don't count due to being spinoffs and alternate versions respectively, while Generations is only loosely canon due to time travel related shenanigans. So any Silver appearances post-Sonic 06 don't count in my mind, and by god they'd better keep it that way.

The current head of the Sonic series wrote the story to the Rivals games and the official Japanese Sonic site recently added an Eggman Nega profile saying he's from the future. Sonic Runners references Colors DS too so I dunno, maybe Sonic Team considers that the definitive one.

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Nov 2, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sonic has the same continuity as Mario: a vague sense of connectedness and that's it.

Well, and 2/3/Knuckles are all To Be Continued from each other as well.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Sonic 4 is also the sequel to Sonic CD apparently.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
Sonic Adventure 2/Heroes/Shadow the Hedgehog are all connected, obviously.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
So apparently Sonic Boom season 2 is starting to air in the u.s.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I like the Archie explanation for Silver, that no matter how many times he goes back in time to fix it, something else comes along to utterly gently caress the future. And then Silver has to sit down and relearn all of history again because he's become displaced from it. Including poo poo he supposedly did.

Silver's future is just perpetually hosed to poo poo.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Onmi posted:

I like the Archie explanation for Silver, that no matter how many times he goes back in time to fix it, something else comes along to utterly gently caress the future. And then Silver has to sit down and relearn all of history again because he's become displaced from it. Including poo poo he supposedly did.

Well what do you expect from the hedgehog version of Trunks? Tunks goes back in time, changes the future, goes forward to his own time and defeats the Androids but then gets punked by Cell. Silver won't fare any better.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Well what do you expect from the hedgehog version of Trunks? Tunks goes back in time, changes the future, goes forward to his own time and defeats the Androids but then gets punked by Cell. Silver won't fare any better.

But his timeline already got destroyed by a black Sonic so I think he's safe.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Anyone who doesn't like City Escape should be arrested

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Onmi posted:

It's like the Treehouse of Horror with Homer's time-travel toaster.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Macaluso posted:

Anyone who doesn't like City Escape should be arrested
I liked it in generations, is that ok

but then I only disliked one zone in generations...

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Could you say, perhaps, that it's no use?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

azurite posted:

Could you say, perhaps, that it's no use?

Silver's fate is to be slammed into a wall repeatedly and losing one ring which he immediately picks up during his invincibility frames but the frames don't last long enough for him to not be slammed into a wall again. For all eternity.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

1, 2, CD, 3, Knuckles.

The word you're looking for is "Genesis", then.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
This is canon.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Anyone ever thought about how much time Sonic spends saving and protecting tiny little woodland animals from abuse rendered by Dr. Robotnik but Sonic's favorite food are chilly dogs?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

beep by grandpa posted:

Anyone ever thought about how much time Sonic spends saving and protecting tiny little woodland animals from abuse rendered by Dr. Robotnik but Sonic's favorite food are chilly dogs?

Every single day

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

beep by grandpa posted:

Hey, nobody said those weren't mealworm chilidogs or something.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Then he got two versions of an evil god about twenty years later wrecking everything worse. Trunks is time's whipping boy so his hedgehog homage must follow suit.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lizard Wizard posted:

The word you're looking for is "Genesis", then.

sonic cd was on the sega cd.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

That was only an add-on, same as the 32X.

...Which I guess means that Knuckles Chaotix counts as well.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

chaotix is only canon due to having some absolutely bitching tunes.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

And the Sega CD was on the Genesis. :colbert:

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

beep by grandpa posted:

You can't save everyone...

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

That was only an add-on, same as the 32X.

...Which I guess means that Knuckles Chaotix counts as well.

If we are counting all Genesis games, then Spinball, Mean Bean Machine, and 3D Blast are all canon too. Which I am cool with. We could even add in the Game Gear games if we wanted.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

beep by grandpa posted:

Maybe those are tofu dogs?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

It could be a statement on accepting one's faults and an expression on the duality of man. I'll explain. I'm sure many of you would enjoy a relaxing trip to a city zoo and marvel at all of the beauty to be found within the animal kingdom...but could still convince yourself later to enjoy a nice hamburger and later feed your pet dog/cat who you love very much...makes u think.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Sonic the Hedgehog has certainly had his ups and downs throughout the years, just like all men do, but we do we not stand by him to support him and forgive his mistakes? I know I do.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lizard Wizard posted:

And the Sega CD was on the Genesis. :colbert:

no, my cousin put his genesis on top of his sega cd :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Groovelord Neato posted:

chaotix is only canon due to having some absolutely bitching tunes.
If you can find someone to play it with, is chaotix at all good or just horrendous? I've always been curious