Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

CubsWoo posted:

The 30 for 30/Ken Burns documentary about this game is going to be spectacular

This whole season is going to get the most amazing 30 for 30. The crushing preseason, the standout nature of each of the players, the defeat of Even Year Bullshit, the symbolism of the number 108, the synchronicity with the 3-1 Cavaliers comeback...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Bad Moon posted:

And Theo wept for there were no more lands to conquer.

Gonna go to the Arizona Cardinals.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Of all the midseason acquisitions who picked Mike Montgomery to close out a World Series title

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Was Pat Hughes' call of the final out as amazing as I dreamed it would be? I'm still partying in Cleveland. :toot:
Here you go, bud

Final Call

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Bad Moon posted:

And Theo wept for there were no more lands to conquer.
He's going to switch sports and draft a Super Bowl winner for the Minnesota Vikings for his greatest trick

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Watching the replay Rizzo was very clever pocketing that ball like he did in the NLCS

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
So the Blackhawks gonna blow a 3-1 lead for The Stanley Cup?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Who would have thought flipping channels to channel 9 as a kid in the 80's would pay off so well.

Gotta be up in 5 hours, but this champagne tastes drat good.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

CubsWoo posted:

Of all the midseason acquisitions who picked Mike Montgomery to close out a World Series title

And millions of Mariners fans cry out "They always get better when they leave"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/794051161561137152

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

So I hope they let Chapman walk, and then back Brinks trucks up to Fowler and Jansen's houses so we can keep this fun going next year!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I was just about to post that. Very nice :golfclap:

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

Chexoid posted:

Hello friends. The Chicago Cubs have captured the world title.

sorry i just wanted to read it again

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

:lol: the buttfumble

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Remember when

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

This owns

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

My thoughts as an Indians fan right now.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mark Sanchez is still floating around, I'm ready for ButtFumble II. This year can't get any weirder.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
:toxx: apropos of nothing, if I get fatalistic about the cubs next season, probate me for a day each time, please

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Making good on a toxx to donate 100 bux when the Cubs won the Series.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Did McGibblets ever get banned for his toxx?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't stopped smiling since the game ended.

I am so happy that the Cubs are World Series Champions.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Congrats David Ross, one of my favorite players despite only being on my team for a few years

Everyone else is 12 years old or a giant shithead/lunatic so meh

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I got drunk as gently caress tonight watching the WS and god drat MORE BASEBALL PLS.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Grandpa Rossy hitting a dinger and getting a ring in his last game is pretty cool.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Ammat The Ankh posted:

aw I wanted more baseball

Game 8? :confuoot:

gently caress it, let's play the entire season in November from now on. :woop:

Quest For Glory II posted:

there's going to be a trail of tears out of that ballpark

:vince::perfect:

rare Magic card l00k posted:

The Indians used their pitching staff shittily in Games 5 and 6, then the arms Francona refused to put in during those games after they carried him to that point collapsed in Game 7.

That's p. much karma.

I don't think he did terribly, it was pretty clear that he's had some lights-out pitchers and some shaky ones, and he wanted the former rested. He was burning the others in what was a pretty certain loss.

The big problem was trying to rely on his core pitchers (Kluber, Miller, Allen, etc.) through many appearances and short rest, and hoping it didn't come back to bite him in the rear end. It did. Whoops! Against any other team, however, it probably would've worked. Respect, Cleveland.

CubsWoo posted:

The Cubs are undefeated in November

Truer words hath never been spake.

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

We probably just watched the greatest baseball game in history

Game 6 & 7 no doubt.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

GRANDPA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzhNdCxhK28

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Well the Cubs finally won, so...this is fine! I'm ready to die now! In fact I died during the 4th inning but that's just a minor technicality. That seems like it would be a fake news article, though, which makes a good segue into this:

The Onion posted:

THE HEAVENS—Following a 8-7 victory over the Cleveland Indians that clinched the team’s first World Series title since 1908, sources confirmed Wednesday that millions of intoxicated Chicago Cubs fans are currently rioting across Heaven.

Moments after watching the game’s final out from above Earth, massive throngs of intoxicated Cubs fans—most of whom went their entire lives without ever seeing the team win a World Series—poured out all over the eternal city, where they reportedly continued drinking heavily as they cheered, hugged strangers, and loudly played golden harps in celebration of their long-awaited championship.

“Let’s go, Cubbies!” screamed Susan Leitch, who died of cardiac arrest in 1997 at the age of 70, before joining hundreds of fellow deceased Chicago fans as they repeatedly sang the chorus of “Go Cubs, Go!” “World Series champs! Finally!”

“Woo!” continued Leitch as she drunkenly stumbled over her feet and broke out in a fit of laughter.

According to reports, after one fan managed to affix a large “W” win flag to the top of the Pearly Gates, a large mob of Cubs fans began violently shaking the gateway as they chanted third baseman Kris Bryant’s name for nearly an hour. Sources confirmed that the gold-paved streets were quickly littered with empty beer cans, cigarettes, spilled food, and other refuse, while a number of inebriated fans were also seen urinating against the sapphire, emerald, and diamond–encrusted walls that protect the sacred realm.

In addition to firing a slew of Roman candles upwards into infinity, a pack of belligerent fans reportedly succeeded in rocking the Throne of God back and forth until the seat of the Almighty Father tipped over onto the ground, after which several men and women began jumping up and down atop it.

Many witnesses also reported seeing at least one fan hunched over and vomiting over the side of a cloud.

“We did it!” shouted former Chicago resident Arnold Mathis, a victim of the 1918 flu pandemic, after climbing up the Tree of Life and bouncing on one of its branches. “I can’t believe we actually did it!”

“Everybody’s getting hosed up tonight!” added Mathis. “I’ve waited my entire afterlife for this!”

Some of the festivities reportedly began getting out of hand when a group of Cubs fans lit the Ladder of Divine Ascent on fire, and shortly thereafter, several teenagers dumped an entire pitcher of beer on the head of an archangel as he attempted to fly through the raucous crowds. Numerous men were later seen stripping off their shimmering Heavenly robes and streaking through God’s Kingdom.

However, reports also confirmed that dozens of small children were celebrating peacefully while sitting on the shoulders of their parents or grandparents, with many wearing youth Cubs jerseys bearing the names and numbers of Ron Santo, Billy Williams, Ryne Sandberg, and Jake Arrieta.

According to sources, the championship celebrations are expected to continue for much of eternity.

“Cubbies! The curse is over, baby!” said longtime fan and father of three Andrew Horton, slurring most of his words as he adjusted his Cubs hat underneath his halo. “I just fuckin’ [unintelligible], you know? Man...[unintelligible].”

“Cubbies!” Horton added.

At press time, sources within Heaven confirmed that hundreds of disorderly Cubs fans had been apprehended and sent to Hell.

:golfclap:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
GO CUBS GO!

This is so much better than 2013 god drat I am drunk af.

EDIT: Poque and Kevlar et al, I will 100% be in Chicago for the Yankees/Cubs series in 2017 and I wanna meet you all.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Nov 3, 2016

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

That was a pretty fun game.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Infidel Castro posted:

At least now whenever Cubs fans get all doom and gloom we have a good reason to tell them to shut the gently caress up.

There is no more doom and gloom. It's all over!

bad boy in the boy band posted:

Well I'm going to have to track down a copy of tomorrow's Tribune to frame, and also about 10 of the next Sports Illustrateds.

You could order this like I did (you can get the issue and/or a framed cover.)

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

So the Blackhawks gonna blow a 3-1 lead for The Stanley Cup?

They could and nobody would care!

CubsWoo posted:

Remember when

:monocle:

:unsmith:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

there is no more doom and gloom, now it's just normal baseball

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Der Meister posted:

That was a pretty fun game.

that took like 2 years off my life

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Also, now I can get a new avatar.

It's a shame to retire this guy, but it's time.
<------

I didn't want to buy one during the playoffs because I'm superstitious and didn't want to jinx anything.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

TMMadman posted:

Also, now I can get a new avatar.

It's a shame to retire this guy, but it's time.
<------

I didn't want to buy one during the playoffs because I'm superstitious and didn't want to jinx anything.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

PEAR BABY IS OUR NEW LORD AND SAVIOR!

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Atomizer posted:

The big problem was trying to rely on his core pitchers (Kluber, Miller, Allen, etc.) through many appearances and short rest, and hoping it didn't come back to bite him in the rear end. It did. Whoops! Against any other team, however, it probably would've worked. Respect, Cleveland.

The overreliance on Bauer/Tomlin was what came back to bite the Indians in the rear end. Sending both guys out there on short rest (especially Bauer who was bad all postseason) while not being ready to pull them if trouble hit was such a bad move, and you can't do that when you're the worse team. The Cubs were the much better team and actually played to win 4 out of 7, while the Indians played to win 3 and then hope to steal a 4th. It almost worked, but it shouldn't have and it didn't. Congrats, you deserved the win.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The overreliance on Bauer/Tomlin was what came back to bite the Indians in the rear end. Sending both guys out there on short rest (especially Bauer who was bad all postseason) while not being ready to pull them if trouble hit was such a bad move, and you can't do that when you're the worse team. The Cubs were the much better team and actually played to win 4 out of 7, while the Indians played to win 3 and then hope to steal a 4th. It almost worked, but it shouldn't have and it didn't. Congrats, you deserved the win.

What Francona did was amazing. I don't know what the limit was, but I think if he sent Salazar out there to start Game 6, I would be sober right now. If I wasn't a dumb Cub fan I'd be rooting for Cleveland, what a loving awesome team.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Dexo posted:

Gonna go to the Arizona Cardinals.

Or perhaps the Cleveland Indians?

In any event, I can still hardly believe this is real. I was the weeping 7-year-old when they blew it in 1984. I was a sad 12-year-old in 1989. 1998 never happened. I vividly remember every moment of what me and my friends were doing during Game 6 in 2003. I swore off emotional involvement with the Cubs after the 2008 playoff debacle (my dad had done that in 1969, relenting only - literally - seconds before the Bartman Ball went aloft). I swore at that time I wouldn't get hooked again until I saw something they'd never shown me - less than five outs away from the Series with a lead. I rescinded that last Saturday night in the company of my closest friends. All the while I promised myself that if they ever actually won it all the first thing I'd do would be to call my dad. Tonight was that loving night, and I did.

Also remembering my grandpa, who was the actual reason I became a Cubs fan as a kid (since my dad had disavowed them in 1969; see above). He passed away at the age of 92 last summer, just before they took off and leveled up. He must have knocked some heads together up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Considering how well he pitched vs. Toronto, I really thought they should have started Merritt in either game 4 or 5.

• Locked thread