Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

:reddit:

e:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
I think when citizens quibble about normal dev dates they are kinda ignoring the elephant.

Is it normal to have this little to show after 4 years (or whatever amount of time you've deluded yourself into thinking dev started)? This is triply so for a large project like SC where they have so much to do.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TheLightPurges posted:

I think when citizens quibble about normal dev dates they are kinda ignoring the elephant.

Is it normal to have this little to show after 4 years (or whatever amount of time you've deluded yourself into thinking dev started)? This is triply so for a large project like SC where they have so much to do.

"It's normal for games to take 5 years to make".

TO MAKE. How normal is it not to have a vertical slice after 5 years?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Hopper posted:

How is it that when Crobberts says "you can definitely expect this by the end of the year" people interpret this as "this will be released by the end of the year" and then call him a liar? All he does is tell the world expecting things is perfectly ok. He's just helping people figure out what they can dream of next, in case they don't dream well on their own.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

alphabettitouretti posted:

quote:

ManofManyAliases posted:
And there have been many AAA titles that took 5-7 years for development through conclusion. So let's say 4.5 years: still not a in critical territory yet.
No it's 5 years, so let's say that.

How many of the games you're talking about hadn't even reached the alpha stage after 5 years?

...or which didn't even have a vertical slice. After $130 million in funding :smuggo:

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
Ok dude development TOTALLY started in 2014 whatever man. Do you really see 3 years of development product here? At the rate they're going do you see them even coming close to whatever you have decided is a normal dev time for SC?

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

Raskolnikov posted:

:lol: I would pay money to hear about more girl gamer insights. Holy poo poo ahahahaha

Edit: it would need to be in the "I am a Star Citizen" format though. 45 seconds long, and utterly cringe inducing.

Pfft. You're just looking for an e-boyfriend to cyber with, so you can steal our e-besties. It's all about the e-swag with you gamer girlzzz.

Seriously, are these people from another planet? Like, a different one from the one I'm on? I want to see them go on a real live non 'e-date', and be a table over so that I can laugh and laugh.

e-best friend.

Your 'e' best friend doesn't rate as just a regular 'friend'? Do you have any non 'e' relationships? This is like some dystopian nightmare.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TheLightPurges posted:

Ok dude development TOTALLY started in 2014 whatever man. Do you really see 3 years of development product here? At the rate they're going do you see them even coming close to whatever you have decided is a normal dev time for SC?

You're behind the times, there has already been an actual honest to god "development didn't start until 2015" on reddit. It won't take long for that to take hold.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hopper posted:

The flimsy support struts on that chair will break the first time he tries to make his bald naked space commando get up out of the pilot chair and it is instead violently expelled out of the autism chariot into the black, spinning at insane speeds around itself. If he is lucky, he will just hit the floor, if he is unlucky he might even impale himself on one of the sharp metal sticks underneath his chair.

No need to worry, this is fine.

There is nothign wrong with the construction of the dudes chair. And like the previous poster said it will be tied to the inputs of the HOTAS.

Electric motors are a little bit of a butch to dial in. They will go from 0 to max in a nano second. So you need to smooth out the input.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

spacetoaster posted:

Ben had better get smart and cash in on his "fame" right now.

Because when Star Citizen fades away over the next couple of years he's going to have a hard time taking care of himself on ss checks.

Now that he's raised enough money to buy the boxes of garbage (- 1 :smuggo:), surely he needs a small salary to do all the work of archiving. Right? Sure buddy.

Star Citizen will not fade away. Very far from it.

It will implode then explode in a majestic sperg tactics way possible.

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Chris Roberts let me finally realise my dream of seeing my nipples burst forth with glorious fountains of fortitude, in space. And for that I will always be thankful.

SC contains your precise fetish!

No wonder you can endure the game long enough to make us those sweet soothing comedy music videos.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Going by how the bit coin debacles have been reported. Outside of the small niche community of PC gaming, it is not going to be even mentioned except by the filler sound bites they have during a slow news day.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Chalks posted:

People say this from time to time, but what exactly are you basing this on?

Up to date information is rather difficult to find, but here's a list of the 10 games that have taken more than 5 years to develop as of a few years ago:

http://overmental.com/content/10-games-that-spent-the-longest-time-in-development-2-672

That's your "many AAA games". That's the entire list of games you've got to compare SC to - which of them are you thinking of when you say they're not in critical territory yet? Spore perhaps? Or Duke Nukem Forever?

There aren't many examples of successful games on that list. If you look at things that are fresh IP, you're talking about maybe 2 successful games that have taken that long to develop.

You are absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt in the "statistical outlier" territory at this point, and it's not a pretty picture in terms of success and what's more, every single one of those games got on that list through mistakes and mismanagement. None of them intended to take that long to develop, they all hosed up.

No you see CIG is more like Blizzard because

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
I must've missed it, but did MoMa chime in on the procedural planet generation rubbish. IIRC he usually bails after the shows and disappears for weeks following any controversy; then only returning when the furor had died down.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
What I find interesting about Moma is that on some level he'd probably admit to himself that Chris Roberts failed to make Star Marine, completely failed, maybe some artwork or assets can be salvaged but they redo those all the time anyway so that doesn't really help. He'll have all kinds of justifications and excuses for why that happened, but ultimately Chris Roberts was in charge. Now CIG are on their second attempt at getting Star Marine out the door, why would anyone sensible expect them to succeed this time with less money, less time and more pressure? Because they said they would? They were pretending Star Marine wasn't even a thing just earlier this year.

Moma had $8k in this, maybe not all in one go but over time that's what he's spent on it. He's down to $3.5k now after selling ships and he's expecting Star Marine and 2.6 this year. What I'm curious about is if he'll manage to reach break even point before CIG go bust.

Edit to be clear, I'm not picking on moma just because he posts in thread, he's an informed pro-Star Citizen poster in the thread, he actually knows what's going on more than the normal Citizens.

AP fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 3, 2016

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

What I find interesting about Moma is that on some level he'd probably admit to himself that Chris Roberts failed to make Star Marine, completely failed, maybe some artwork or assets can be salvaged but they redo those all the time anyway so that doesn't really help. He'll have all kinds of justifications and excuses for why that happened, but ultimately Chris Roberts was in charge. Now CIG are on their second attempt at getting Star Marine out the door, why would anyone sensible expect them to succeed this time with less money, less time and more pressure? Because they said they would? They were pretending Star Marine wasn't even a thing just earlier this year.

Moma had $8k in this, maybe not all in one go but over time that's what he's spent on it. He's down to $3.5k now after selling ships and he's expecting Star Marine and 2.6 this year. What I'm curious about is if he'll manage to reach break even point before CIG go bust.

Indeed.

Going from his posts, I have reason to believe that he's probably just as disillusioned as the rest of the rampaging Spergs. But ego (aside from Goons loling their collective asses off) is probably going to prevent him from coming clean and flat out denouncing croberts and the project.

Seriously, anyone who - at this moment in time - really believes that CIG has the capability to deliver this project, is delusional.

Just wait until SQ42 drops, then PU goes the way of AC, Hangar, SM etc and Spergs find out they paid $10K for a $45 game. The fallout is going to be glorious.

$130 loving million. I don't even know how to reconcile that in my math-oriented brain.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

EminusSleepus posted:

Star Citizen will not fade away. Very far from it.

It will implode then explode in a majestic sperg tactics way possible.

I really hope you're right.

But I think it'll fade as people lose faith and move on. Finally, a few years from now we'll see an update somewhere that says CIG has closed it's doors and we'll all go: "welp, saw this coming" and keep on to playing Titanfall 5 or whatever.

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I love the mental gymnastics required to be actually use the world "develop" in a sentence and not have that period of time actually constitute as development.

When a company manufactures a new product, the R&D along with the prototypes don't count as development, you see. They only count from when the factory to make the final product comes on-line. Development usually lasts the time it takes for the materials to pass through the factory, you see.

Then they apply to the government for a refund on all the money spent during that 'time', since it didn't really count and it's not real, you see.

You see?

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Real real development actually started 6 months from ~~current date~~

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
lol if you are still thinking about, making fun of, or especially replying to moma or lazrin at this late date.

i havent been following the thread so much because nothings really happened, so i came back to be shocked people still think theyre burning moma. i mean, you ARE burning moma he just doesnt care to the point where it's loving moot

i swear to god googlebutt is actually right about this one this is the biggest place on the forums for people to literally troll themselves ONTO people who are actually trolling them... they don't even have to be pro-active, they can just be passive, people will self-own in the pursuit of the ownage.

truth is, he already owned himself for 8 grand and we don't even NEED to make fun of him. the damage is already done. this is dereks forum and unlike any of the other forums hes not going to get banned for being a smug jackass noone wants around, hes not listening to your criticisms of the way he's spent his money, he's best to be ignored

like, i get it, i tried to gently caress with him for a good long while but it's fuckin pointless and at best a distraction from the real trainwreck

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

D_Smart posted:

I must've missed it, but did MoMa chime in on the procedural planet generation rubbish. IIRC he usually bails after the shows and disappears for weeks following any controversy; then only returning when the furor had died down.

you're behind a bit, they are now streaming the game like youtube videos

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

The Titanic posted:

It's like an ongoing, slow, Matrix-style train wreck that somehow just keeps getting worse each day.

lol, yes this is accurate. Also, I have read every single page* of this thread. Good lord. I have been posting for a little while now, but pretty sporadically, and I am always a day or so behind so... quite forgettable.

*lots of skimming , once I got the lay of the land.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
J

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Chalks posted:

They seem capable of finishing that aren't video games. Maybe they should change their focus.

But that's precisely the problem.
Things Crobblers's isn't focused on get finished.
Things he focuses on don't.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Jon Do posted:

lol if you are still thinking about, making fun of, or especially replying to moma or lazrin at this late date.

i havent been following the thread so much because nothings really happened, so i came back to be shocked people still think theyre burning moma. i mean, you ARE burning moma he just doesnt care to the point where it's loving moot

i swear to god googlebutt is actually right about this one this is the biggest place on the forums for people to literally troll themselves ONTO people who are actually trolling them... they don't even have to be pro-active, they can just be passive, people will self-own in the pursuit of the ownage.

truth is, he already owned himself for 8 grand and we don't even NEED to make fun of him. the damage is already done. this is dereks forum and unlike any of the other forums hes not going to get banned for being a smug jackass noone wants around, hes not listening to your criticisms of the way he's spent his money, he's best to be ignored

like, i get it, i tried to gently caress with him for a good long while but it's fuckin pointless and at best a distraction from the real trainwreck

:ironicat:

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

orcinus posted:

I read this in a David Attenborough voice.

:lol:

Thank you for this. This will now be my prefered interpretation.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

The Titanic posted:

It'll be good, wholesome fun that will totally attract women. Especially that bald man avatar! Hell yeah! Sign me right the hell up to be your sugar momma!

Sugar MoMA?

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

The Titanic posted:

First will be a video where the boxes were refactored by subdividing them 6,000 times. Chris doesn't allow for these boxes to be anything less than fidelitous boxes.

This being CIG, though, they'll fail to edge loop them, so they'll end up with rounded boxes.
Then they'll invent technobabble for the rounded boxes.

A few months later, they'll return the original boxes and call that ”TrueEdge 2.0” or something.

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

You were promised NOTHING.

Best. drat. Space-sim.

Ever.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Dumb mines in space is actually really silly. So Croberts, who was high on putting terrestrial navy poo poo straight into space without too much thinking tells his artist "Naval mines, like the ones they used in WW1. No, keep the spiny mechanical pressure triggers." Just like he did with loving torpedoes. I'm surprised someone talked him out of keeping the propellers on those.

First off, this doesn't work because without water, you know exactly where the mines are and you could just destroy them. Furthermore, if the mines have no propulsion system, wouldn't one mine detonation disperse your entire mine field with a little bit of time?

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

CrazyTolradi posted:

As bad as this can get for Chris, he'll always have a couch to crash on at Ben's place.

But that's where the Wing Commander cartoon boxes are.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Polish Avenger posted:

Dumb mines in space is actually really silly. So Croberts, who was high on putting terrestrial navy poo poo straight into space without too much thinking tells his artist "Naval mines, like the ones they used in WW1. No, keep the spiny mechanical pressure triggers." Just like he did with loving torpedoes. I'm surprised someone talked him out of keeping the propellers on those.

First off, this doesn't work because without water, you know exactly where the mines are and you could just destroy them. Furthermore, if the mines have no propulsion system, wouldn't one mine detonation disperse your entire mine field with a little bit of time?

If one of those mines blew up, they all would as well

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

f e: should have been lowercase

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

DapperDon posted:

I am not sure I have the words for this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBsRUvuvTf8

So, wait, Crobblers, in his infinite wisdom, already made your in-game head and body jerk around when you fly the ship.
Will this Stimperical contraption move in concert with those movements, this amplifying them and making what little of the game there is (dogfight) completely unplayable; or, will it move in opposition to those, thus canceling them out and making the game playable?

Lazrin
Apr 13, 2016

THEN HE SAID..NO WAIT, LISTEN. THEN HE SAID 3.0 IS COMING OUT BY DEC 19TH 2016
:laffo:

D_Smart posted:

Indeed.

Going from his posts, I have reason to believe that he's probably just as disillusioned as the rest of the rampaging Spergs. But ego (aside from Goons loling their collective asses off) is probably going to prevent him from coming clean and flat out denouncing croberts and the project.

Seriously, anyone who - at this moment in time - really believes that CIG has the capability to deliver this project, is delusional.

Just wait until SQ42 drops, then PU goes the way of AC, Hangar, SM etc and Spergs find out they paid $10K for a $45 game. The fallout is going to be glorious.

$130 loving million. I don't even know how to reconcile that in my math-oriented brain.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 3, 2016

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

Samizdata posted:

...a French club owner getting horribly burnt when his vape battery exploded in his pocket...

Am I a horrible person because I thought this was hilarious and laughed a lot?

Whelp. Whatchagonna do.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Polish Avenger posted:

Furthermore, if the mines have no propulsion system, wouldn't one mine detonation disperse your entire mine field with a little bit of time?
Not unless they were directly hit by shrapnel, there is no blast. But the whole thing is stupid, at space travel velocities passive mines would be no more a threat than simple rocks.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Lazrin posted:

they'll deliver it. and if they deliver something less, at least they had the balls to try.

What balls? Anyone can try to do anything with other people's money. poo poo, pledge to my project and I promise you I will give my best shot at cold fusion.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

orcinus posted:

But that's precisely the problem.
Things Crobblers's isn't focused on get finished.
Things he focuses on don't.

I wanna see Chris design a polo shirt. Imagine the loving nonsense that he could generate just from that starting point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Marching Powder posted:

such a dumb gimmick. who could possibly engage in such tedious behavior *reads every word of a 6000 page thread that is 99% stupid bullshit*

Brian blessed ranting about Trump voice.

• Locked thread