Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

World of Final Fantasy is a turn-based RPG developed by Square-Enix for the Playstation 4 and Vita systems. The game is full of references, direct and indirect, to past Final Fantasy games, including characters, locations, creatures, etc. The game also has a lot of self-referential and tongue-in-cheek humor:

The Plot

Twin siblings Reynn and Lann wake up one day to find that everyone is gone from the town they live in, Nine Wood Hills. A mysterious stranger shows up and tells them they are Mirage Keepers--people who can capture creatures and command them in battle--and that they are originally from a land called Grymoire, but they have lost all their memories of it. With a newly opened portal, Reynn and Lann set out to learn about their past and who they are.

The Characters

Reynn is the more cautious of the two siblings. She frequently plays the straight man to her brother's antics and prefers to spend some time thinking things through before acting. She fights with a glowing dagger that can change colors based on elemental attacks.

Lann is a bit of a blockhead sometimes, but he always means well. He is a poor listener and usually has to clarify things that were just told to him, but he comes through when it counts. He fights with his fists.

Tama is a Mirage that travels with Lann and Reynn, helping them out on their journey. Tama has many significant powers, such as the ability to reverse small amounts of time to whisk Reynn and Lann back to Nine Wood Hills before they die, preventing a Game Over. Tama also has a weird speech pattern in which she will add "the" in front of random words. Needless to say, it can be a bit the-jarring.

Mirages

Mirages are the primary enemies and teammates in World of Final Fantasy. Most of them can be caught ("imprismed") by you in battle after fulfilling certain conditions, such as lowering health, using fire attacks, or inflicting status ailments. When a mirage's defenses are down, you can try to imprism them as long as they are imprismable and you have a prism of the correct type (you will automatically receive one when you encounter a new kind of mirage for the first time). If the imprisming fails, you don't lose the prism, so you can just try again right away. You can only carry 10 mirages at a time, but you can store the rest in Nine Wood Hills and swap them out when you want. Mirages that aren't with you don't earn experience, however. After they're imprismed, you can use them in battle for yourself, which brings us to...

Battles

World of Final Fantasy has an ATB/Turn-based battle system. Characters wait for their icon to rise to the top of the ATB bar before they can take action. The higher agility characters have, the faster their icon rises. Most actions require AP to perform. AP replenishes every turn, but only a little, so if you use a bunch of AP-heavy attacks, you'll have to wait a few turns before using them again. You might notice that characters are standing on top of each other. That's because you can battle in what are called stacks. Each mirage/character has a size, either Small (S), Medium (M), Large (L), or Extra Large (XL). When you set up your stacks, they must be in size order, with smaller sizes on top of larger ones, so you could have a L-M-S or a M-S stack, but not a S-L stack. XL mirages can't be put in stacks, but they can be summoned in battle to help at the cost of all AP.

Reynn and Lann can also switch between Jiant and Lilikin forms, which changes their size in stacks. Jiant forms are Large, and Lilikin forms are Medium.

When your characters are stacked, the stack gets the combined stats/abilities/AP of each character, but the stack only gets one turn. You can opt to unstack, so each character gets a turn, but you'll also be weaker. There are few situations where unstacking is a good strategy. However, a stack can topple over, and each stack gets a stability rating, based on the weights/types of mirages you stack. If the stability is weak, then the stack will be easier to topple, which temporarily stuns all the characters in it and forces them into unstacked mode. You can restack them as soon as they recover.

When you stack certain kinds of mirages together, you can get upgraded abilities/attacks. For example, stacking together two mirages that know Cure will allow you to use Cura. Stacking two physical attackers together might let you use a combo ability like Cross Slash. Experimenting with different mirages can get you all kinds of combo abilities.

Enemies can also come stacked, and they are just as vulnerable to getting toppled, which can be a good strategy to pursue. Toppling is also the only way to imprism a mirage you want if it's in a stack.

Non-player characters called Champions can also be summoned in battle to perform an action, provided you have obtained their medals and have enough of the Champion Gauge full. These actions can be full heals or strong attacks that ignore defense while simultaneously boosting your characters' strength. Your Champion Gauge fills while you participate in battles.

When you lose a regular battle, Tama will reverse time to just before the battle and take you back to Nine Wood Hills, so if you were in a dungeon, you'll have to start over from the beginning. When you fight extra powerful mirages (bosses), Tama's ability won't work and you'll get a Game Over if everyone is defeated, meaning you'll have to reload your last save.

Mirage Boards

Mirage Boards are how you develop your mirages, including boosting their stats, learning new abilities, and transfiguring them into different forms. As they gain levels, your mirages earn Skill Points (SP), which they can spend to unlock spaces on the board. This is also how you can obtain more prisms of their type after you get your initial free one. When you meet the requirements (levels or having certain items, generally), you can transfigure your mirages into new ones (usually changing their size, so you have to think about that when you do). If you're changing it to another one in the same family, like a Chocochick to a Chocobo, you keep all the spaces you've already unlocked, but you get access to a new Mirage Board with different spaces. If you change entirely, like a Chocochick to a Black Chocochick, you get a new clean board, but you get all the SP you've accumulated back, so you can fill the new one out.

As you fill more of a mirage's board out, the Sync Level will increase. At certain points, when it increases enough, your mirage will get a boost to all stats.

Videos/Useful Info

E3 2016 Trailer

Opening cutscene

Sephiroth Champion Summon (thanks to more like dICK)

Mirage Database (Google Spreadsheet) (Obvious spoilers in this link, so use at your own risk).

:siren: Please be considerate and use spoiler tags when talking about major plot events/secrets :siren:

Balthier Champion DLC comes out March 23rd. Sora will only be available until March 31 so make sure you grab it before then

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

This game is cool because it lets me put cute flan princesses on top of anime people's heads and throw around spells like a crazy person.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Pro tip for people playing early on in the game when you finish the Nebula: There is a secret area nearby that is accessible via Smash and Flutter skills. Flutter you can get from Moogles and Smash you can get by transmogging a Golem from the Nebula into a Mythril Golem. In this area there are powerful monsters that you will get a ton of experience from, but more importantly you will be able to get the other two monsters you didn't pick during the boss fight. These monsters have multiple forms and are pretty amazing at filling out your roster and covering the majority of elements for the entire game.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Nephzinho posted:

Pro tip for people playing early on in the game when you finish the Nebula: There is a secret area nearby that is accessible via Smash and Flutter skills. Flutter you can get from Moogles and Smash you can get by transmogging a Golem from the Nebula into a Mythril Golem. In this area there are powerful monsters that you will get a ton of experience from, but more importantly you will be able to get the other two monsters you didn't pick during the boss fight. These monsters have multiple forms and are pretty amazing at filling out your roster and covering the majority of elements for the entire game.

Note that the particular encounters mentioned here are pretty rare; it took me around a hour for the second to finally show up, and I know others had worse luck.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I both hate and love this game because I am constantly fighting with my urge to stack with cool mirages and my urge to have the most optimal stack possible.

Also I'm starting to come across mirages that require status effects to actually capture them, are there any mirages I should look out for to inflict said effects or am I still so early in the game that I need to rely on the items Chocolatte sells? I just met Tifa and Rydia but haven't gone to the valley of fire yet, for reference. I figure if there's anything I can go catch now is the time since I can level it while looking for the third elemental dude in the nebula.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

At that point in the game, the items are probably easier than keeping multiple different monsters around. You could potentially level up a Mandragora, I suppose, as that can transfigure into a Malboro, but you'd probably have to level grind to get enough SP to both unlock the Malboro from the Mandragora board and then also make it to Bad Breath. Malboros themselves finally show up in Chapter 12, and having access to Bad Breath or to Putrid Breath from their species offshoot is incredibly handy for prismtunities like that.

Also you can ride them. Riding Malboros is the best.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
This game is extremely my poo poo, I'm liking it a lot more than I expected. I got a weird Kingdom Hearts vibe from the trailers, but honestly the game is pretty grounded, at least in the ways that are important. The localization team for this knocked it out of the park hard, I don't think I've laughed as much at tutorial screens in any other game. Tama manages to work well for me, cutsey and amusing without veering into grating and I the-like her vocal quirk.

The battle system has one demerit with me, albeit a small one, in that the battle SPEED seems by default exceedingly low. There's really no point in having the bar on the side indicate the passage of turns, because there does not appear to be any way to actually affect the enemy's position on the bar besides stopping it with a sleep status effect or something similar. Contrast this to something like Grandia, where that means of measuring turn order actually was integral to the combat system, with a balance of slow-charged hard-hitting attacks mixed with fast attacks used to keep enemies from performing their own moves or to displace them in the turn order. Here the battles seem quite slow, so the fast-forward command really becomes essential, and I feel like it could have been simplified to make a more compromised solution. If they just adopted a turn-order system like you see in Final Fantasy X, I actually think the whole combat aspect of the game would click into place even better.

All that being said I do feel like there's a lot of depth to the mechanics at play, so I'm pleased to see this isn't a paper-thin RPG. In fact, the whole game seems to be bursting with imagination and a surprising amount of original ideas. For a fanservice title, they actually seemed to really genuinely care about producing a sincerely quality product. The charm at work is important, the game's tone brings it all together. FF13 and the FF7 spin-offs all felt like they were written by space aliens, so I'm glad to see that the wit and humor present in something like FF14 isn't merely a fluke, and appears to be part of the new direction Square is trying to push its products.

For some reason this title gives me great optimism about the future of Final Fantasy.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

I both hate and love this game because I am constantly fighting with my urge to stack with cool mirages and my urge to have the most optimal stack possible.

Also I'm starting to come across mirages that require status effects to actually capture them, are there any mirages I should look out for to inflict said effects or am I still so early in the game that I need to rely on the items Chocolatte sells? I just met Tifa and Rydia but haven't gone to the valley of fire yet, for reference. I figure if there's anything I can go catch now is the time since I can level it while looking for the third elemental dude in the nebula.

if you go back to the Pyreglow Forest, you can catch a Right Hand, which can induce sleep, if all you need to do is inflict any status ailment. Mandragoras would also work, like Shadow Ninja 64 said

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Nephzinho posted:

Pro-tip for this pro-tip: The mirages in this area are pretty tough so you should wait until you're around level 15 to come back. Bring wind magic (use a moogle and/or wind pixie) and you'll level up really quick as you try to find the rare mirages.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
This game is insanely good. Just got the first key.

Here's what the chibi sephiroth in the OP does https://youtu.be/CwwF-Kz2ueY

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

more like dICK posted:

This game is insanely good. Just got the first key.

Here's what the chibi sephiroth in the OP does https://youtu.be/CwwF-Kz2ueY

Thanks, I added this to the OP. I was thinking of grabbing a video myself, but now I don't have to.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

Always carry 3+ of every debuff/buff/elemental damage item. It doesn't cost much and it will save you a massive headache of constantly messing with your stacks and abilities to cover all of the different imprism requirements.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Contrast this to something like Grandia, where that means of measuring turn order actually was integral to the combat system, with a balance of slow-charged hard-hitting attacks mixed with fast attacks used to keep enemies from performing their own moves or to displace them in the turn order.

Counterpoint: Every single special ability in Grandia II was useless except for the single ability each character had to cancel opponents action. You could cruise through that game by simply maxing that one skill and then just keeping your equipment reasonably up to date while you punched your way through the game with instant speed cancels on anything threatening.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The battle system has one demerit with me, albeit a small one, in that the battle SPEED seems by default exceedingly low. There's really no point in having the bar on the side indicate the passage of turns, because there does not appear to be any way to actually affect the enemy's position on the bar besides stopping it with a sleep status effect or something similar. Contrast this to something like Grandia, where that means of measuring turn order actually was integral to the combat system, with a balance of slow-charged hard-hitting attacks mixed with fast attacks used to keep enemies from performing their own moves or to displace them in the turn order. Here the battles seem quite slow, so the fast-forward command really becomes essential, and I feel like it could have been simplified to make a more compromised solution. If they just adopted a turn-order system like you see in Final Fantasy X, I actually think the whole combat aspect of the game would click into place even better.

Are you using wait mode in the battles? The bar is a lot more important in active mode when the battles actually progress while you dick around in the menus.

Using active mode and having the speed relatively high is is also like the only thing that can make the game at least a bit challenging.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
This game is fantastic and cute because I can stack a Cactuar on top of a Tonberry on top of an anime boy.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Andrast posted:

Are you using wait mode in the battles? The bar is a lot more important in active mode when the battles actually progress while you dick around in the menus.

Using active mode and having the speed relatively high is is also like the only thing that can make the game at least a bit challenging.

personally, I use semi-active, which as far as I can tell means that enemy actions will still queue while you're dicking around in menus, but they won't actually do anything until you're done.

Xad posted:

This game is fantastic and cute because I can stack a Cactuar on top of a Tonberry on top of an anime boy.

I've been using the red bonnetberry that came as DLC with the day one edition, and that thing is goddamn adorable.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
How do I use the tickets that came with the day one version? I don't see them in the coliseum and I can't use the items in my inventory.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

more like dICK posted:

How do I use the tickets that came with the day one version? I don't see them in the coliseum and I can't use the items in my inventory.

did you redeem the code in the PlayStation Store? after you do that and download them, the next time you load the game, they should unlock (you might have to close the application and restart if you're on PS4 and you've been using rest mode and haven't played anything else)

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
Yeah I redeemed the code and it gave me the coliseum tickets. I can't figure out how to actually use them though.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

more like dICK posted:

Yeah I redeemed the code and it gave me the coliseum tickets. I can't figure out how to actually use them though.

They should just show up near the bottom of the list when you're looking at the list of battles in the coliseum. You don't have to actively redeem them or anything. If they still aren't there, then I dunno.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
Oh geez I never scrolled past the level 30+ stuff in that list. Thanks !

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

What do I have to beat up to unlock Master Cactuar? I fought one in the arena and I kinda wanna get my own.

Also Cactuar or Cactrot until then? The tough choices.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
Game is cute as hell and really fun to play, so glad I decided to get this. I didn't expect the monster levelling to be that indepth.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I just got the second key and I was totally expecting some kind of scorpion tail machine when I got to the center of the mako reactor, but the reference to Vivi and the black mages was cool too

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Any thoughts on Vita vs PS4 version? I sold my PS4 a few months ago, a decision I now solidly regret with this and FF15 soon, but I still have a Vita.

(Which I can't really look at for long anyway due to eye-strain. Bleh.)

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this gmae looks awesome but is it hard

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Empress Brosephine posted:

It's very easy.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Should I just plan on using the mini golem for basically the entire game? He seems pretty good. And he has a ton of nodes to fill.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

Should I just plan on using the mini golem for basically the entire game? He seems pretty good. And he has a ton of nodes to fill.

because of how level/experience scaling works, it doesn't take much time to get new mirages leveled up to a point where they become viable for story-line battles (dunno about post-game or coliseum yet), so you can pretty much use whichever mirage you want to. if you catch a new one that you want to put in a stack, just keep it around in the inactive set for a little while and it'll be useful in no time.

I kind of like it because it resets some of the difficulty, too, if I get overleveled. I can just switch to some new mirages, and that changes how I have to approach battles (and lets me see a lot of new abilities I might not have seen otherwise)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I wish the humans weren't a part of the combat system. I just want to stack my final fantasy pokemon without these idiots being in the way.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Oh, I'm not talking about using him level-wise. I made a comment about liking the exp scaling for exactly the reason you mentioned in the general FF thread before this one existed. He just seems, no pun intended, like a very solid mirage that I don't have to worry about switching sizes or anything, he will always be small and I can plan current and future stacks around him being small.

Speaking of which, do mirage stats change when they switch forms? I never actually looked. And do they gain stats on level up or only through nodes? I could probably look but honestly that's a lot of tracking to do and I won't play it until later tonight and may forget by then.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Ground floor, game is great. Ended up preferring the Japanese VA because some of the English VA is real bad.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I like the Japanese VA because they can pronounce Chocobo properly

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

Oh, I'm not talking about using him level-wise. I made a comment about liking the exp scaling for exactly the reason you mentioned in the general FF thread before this one existed. He just seems, no pun intended, like a very solid mirage that I don't have to worry about switching sizes or anything, he will always be small and I can plan current and future stacks around him being small.

Speaking of which, do mirage stats change when they switch forms? I never actually looked. And do they gain stats on level up or only through nodes? I could probably look but honestly that's a lot of tracking to do and I won't play it until later tonight and may forget by then.

they definitely gain stats through levels--the boards just provide some extra boosts. stats do generally change with forms (some might remain the same, but not all), in addition to resistances and stuff. if you change between two forms that aren't in the same family tree (like a chocochick to a black chocochick), you get all your SP back and you get to fill out the new mirage board starting from scratch, so the passives/stat boosts will change there, too.

edit: can I just say how much I like the shops in this game? being able to just pick whatever number of items I want all at once and pay at the end instead of buying each item individually is ridiculously convenient.

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 3, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Sakurazuka posted:

I like the Japanese VA because they can pronounce Chocobo properly

It's pronounced "chehk-OH-bo"

At least according to 10 year old me

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is there a point to capturing two of the same exact mirages? I don't mean types (like normal/black chocobo) but like two regular old Mandragoras

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is there a point to capturing two of the same exact mirages? I don't mean types (like normal/black chocobo) but like two regular old Mandragoras

if you'd like to have one of the smaller and one of the larger forms around and develop them both instead of starting from scratch for a form change. some mirages also have spots on their mirage boards that give mirajewels, so it can be a way to gain some more of those.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

morallyobjected posted:

if you'd like to have one of the smaller and one of the larger forms around and develop them both instead of starting from scratch for a form change. some mirages also have spots on their mirage boards that give mirajewels, so it can be a way to gain some more of those.

Ah, alright thanks.

One last thing, this game is great but the menus feel really laggy and slow, on PS4. Dunno what that's all about but it kinda sucks.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Ah, alright thanks.

One last thing, this game is great but the menus feel really laggy and slow, on PS4. Dunno what that's all about but it kinda sucks.

there's definitely some lag--it's particularly noticeable on the travel/world map menus because it has to load the whole thing before it will let you move the cursor. maybe it'll get patched at a later date. otherwise, we're just stuck with slow menus.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Andrast posted:

I wish the humans weren't a part of the combat system. I just want to stack my final fantasy pokemon without these idiots being in the way.

I have good news about the post game then!

The final boss and post game are difficult. Before that though uh... it's mostly there just to make you smile, not give you a challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

It's offered fairly shallow challenge so far, but the combat system is engaging because there's tons of things to level up and customize. Fighting is rarely a waste of time because you're always hungry for more exp to get more abilities and/or work your Mirages up to their evolution level. It's not boring, in other words, even though it is easy.

• Locked thread