Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
With 114 wins this Cubs team slots into the 2nd slot for raw wins by a Cubs team behind the 118 won by the 1906 Cubs, and the highest win total by a Cubs champion (111, 1907.)

https://twitter.com/MLBRandomStats/status/794206439363330048

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

ruddiger posted:

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/794057504871346176

This is pretty loving cool, but I hope Obama wears his Sox jersey when they visit. :twisted:

If he does he's g.o.a.t. guaranteed

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

ruddiger posted:

This is pretty loving cool, but I hope Obama wears his Sox jersey when they visit. :twisted:

Jim McMahon wore his Bears jersey to the White House when the Packers won in 1996. The Bears never got to go to the White House after the 1985 season because the Challenger blew up like 3 days after the Super Bowl, and McMahon was Favre's backup so he pretty much took zero snaps all season as a Packer.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Sorry Cleveland, maybe next year use a live chicken.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Jiro posted:

Sorry Cleveland, maybe next year use a live chicken.

Chicago's streets are drenched in blood. There was no way one live chicken was going to beat out that blood offering.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I like the interaction between him and the joke Theo Epstein account. :allears:

CascadeBeta posted:

A co-worker of mine's son works in the same company as Bartman. Apparently he works from home and gets groceries delivered because he STILL gets harassed horrendously to this day. Hopefully that changes, because Jesus Christ the 2003 Cubs lost for so many bigger reasons than Bartman.

Does he still work for Hewitt? A former co-worker's wife worked there with him, and we watched the 2003 meltdown together (which turned me off baseball for years) and after the Bartman incident he told me Steve ended up getting put on a floor that was previously unused; the whole place to himself just so he had some privacy. :smith:

b-minus1 posted:

This is why the cubs are the least deserving team to win a world series. gently caress chicago

The Cubs busted their asses this whole season; they were the most deserving team.

Back in 2003, the meltdown was a whole team effort, but it sure looked like it at the time that Bartman interfered. He didn't really, but became a scapegoat, and after all these years I'm confident everyone else has "forgiven" him and he can finally achieve vindication instead of remaining a pariah.

TMMadman posted:

So, since they can give them to anyone they want, which old Cubs are sure to get World Series rings?

Obviously Billy Williams and Ryne Sandberg will be getting them. Probably Kerry Wood. Anyone else?

The Red Sox gave out like 500 rings; it wouldn't surprise me if the Cubs gave out a whole lot more. Aside from retired Cubs, I'm hoping that the guys who participated this season (but where traded) got them as well: Clayton Richard, Warren, and especially Joe Nathan, the latter of whom decided to rehab from his second TJS to try to pursue that elusive championship at the end of his career. :unsmith:

ruddiger posted:

Uh, I clicked that and this was the first reply:

https://twitter.com/shailenewoodley/status/794069229683101696

:stonk:

TheChaosPath posted:

God the Cavs logo is terrible. It's like something an eighth-grader drew on a textbook cover. "Dude, this C looks like it's tearing rear end around my algebra book!"

I'm going to make a controversial statement and say that there are far too many "C" logos in professional sports. :colbert:

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Meanwhile the Cardinals officially extended Matheny through 2020. Kill me.

To be fair, it wasn't Matheny's fault that the Cards ran into the Cubs meat-grinder. :shrug:

(Also, "Chicago meat-grinder" reminded me that I should probably re-read The Jungle by Upton Sinclair. :))

chilihead posted:

Theo Epstein for president!

We KNOW he can make America great again!

https://twitter.com/theoepstein04/status/794154690682306560

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The funny thing was we let the kids stay up to watch it. After the Cubs won, my 11-year old patted me on the back and said, "well.... there's always next year." Thanks buddy. Even though you kept asking which team was pitching while reading your Minecraft book.

Well, that's my story. Congrats Cubs. It was cool to see you guys win it. Hope it feels as good as the Cavs coming back on the Warriors.

Cubs fan here, confirming that yes indeed, there is always next year. :unsmith:

However, um, I was under the impression that Minecraft was a video game.... :confused:

RC Cola posted:

Chicago Fire exists too

Other Teams Matter!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
For shits and giggles, I stopped by the Dick's Sporting Goods in Niles because I was close and dispatch put me on standby for 15-20 minutes. There was a huge line just to get in and it didn't even move for the 10 minutes I watched it before I got called back to work.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Atomizer posted:

Other Teams Matter!

MLS doesn't, though.

(I say that even as I'm planning on being at the NYCFC game on Sunday :v:)

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

CubsWoo posted:

Lonnie Smith

Yes I know the Pretty Good video

Yes I know he probably lost it and didn't get deked, either way that baserunning is enough slop in a 0-0 game to equal last night

Man, just no based on this metric. There were so many terrible plays and decisions last night that they show up one really awful decision. And most of them were on the Cubs side, it's insane. I honestly can't remember a deciding game anything close to this.

As for which game 7 was 'better' I have no opinion because jesus christ it'll take me like 2 months to process what I saw.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Atomizer posted:

Cubs fan here, confirming that yes indeed, there is always next year. :unsmith:

However, um, I was under the impression that Minecraft was a video game.... :confused:

There are pixel-style Minecraft foam swords for sale at Wrigley Field, with Cubs logos attached.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i dont want another nl central team winning a WS but the brewers havent won one yet, right? havent even been to one since 1982

i'm gonna put the albatross label on them now

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

My nightmare scenario was for the Indians to win last night and then for the goddamned Twins to win next year, after which I'd have to move to Uzbekistan. So thank you, Cubs.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Atomizer posted:

To be fair, it wasn't Matheny's fault that the Cards ran into the Cubs meat-grinder. :shrug:

The Cubs being good has nothing to do with me not wanting him to be the manager.

ShortThug
Dec 26, 2004

Yay!

TMMadman posted:

For shits and giggles, I stopped by the Dick's Sporting Goods in Niles because I was close and dispatch put me on standby for 15-20 minutes. There was a huge line just to get in and it didn't even move for the 10 minutes I watched it before I got called back to work.

I was just there. Line took about 30 mins to get in but I didn't buy anything since everything was in L or XL. Just ordered stuff online.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Atomizer posted:

The Red Sox gave out like 500 rings; it wouldn't surprise me if the Cubs gave out a whole lot more. Aside from retired Cubs, I'm hoping that the guys who participated this season (but where traded) got them as well: Clayton Richard, Warren, and especially Joe Nathan, the latter of whom decided to rehab from his second TJS to try to pursue that elusive championship at the end of his career. :unsmith:

For 2004 at least, the Red Sox gave rings to everyone who was on the roster that year, including Brandon Puffer, a relief pitcher who was a one-game September callup who never actually appeared or threw a pitch for the team. He ended up spending a few years in jail for burglary and intent to commit sexual assault. Somebody tried to sell it on Pawn Stars a few years back but they wouldn't take it considering his reputation.

If I had to guess I would assume at least everyone who was called up to the team will get a ring, possibly everyone on the 40-man, and then a scaled-down version of the ring for front office staff, maybe Wrigley workers, people like that.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Anyone have a link to that Simpsons clip when Homer jumps on the Isotopes bandwagon, but it's been altered so he's wearing a Bryant jersey? It was posted in the gameday thread but to hell with browsing that thread again.

Also requesting gif of Joe Maddon visibly gulping after that Lester/Ross inning. Dude's face after that error was like

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Scob posted:

cubs win the world series and matheny gets an extension what a terrible season

I'm sure I'll be guilty of this in time as well, but Cardinals fans complaining about how the Cubs winning the Series makes them feel reeks of the same kind of privilege that leads to MRA's, arguments for "White History Month", Young Republicans holding "Reverse Affirmative Action" bake sales, etc. We're not the best of friends between our respective fanbases but the morning after is way too early to start complaining. For once the Cardinals aren't the best team in their division. Somehow I think we'll all still survive. Let them have their moment.

E: This is more inspired by the BFiB stuff I've been seeing, your post just caught me at the wrong moment. :glomp:

Pancakes fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 3, 2016

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Pancakes posted:

I'm sure I'll be guilty of this in time as well, but Cardinals fans complaining about how the Cubs winning the Series makes them feel reeks of the same kind of privilege that leads to MRA's, arguments for "White History Month", Young Republicans holding "Reverse Affirmative Action" bake sales, etc.
:popeye: that escalated quickly

although there probably are a lot of MRAs and young republicans in the Cardinals fanbase

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
schadenfreude is an essential part of sports and should be encouraged imo

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/JulieDiCaro/status/794188615609962496

Bryant's outchea

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
the cardinals will never win another game of baseball ever. it's over for them

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/794224632991744000

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Quest For Glory II posted:

i dont want another nl central team winning a WS but the brewers havent won one yet, right? havent even been to one since 1982

Cardinals beat them in the '82 Series. Next closest they came was the '11 NLCS, when the Cardinals beat them.

Among the other longest droughts the Cubs ended Cleveland's best chance (obviously), Cardinals ended the Rangers' and the White Sox ended the Astros'.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Parade set for Friday. Not many details, but a rough route will be Wrigley Field to Grant Park, with some of it probably on Lake Shore Drive.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I know it's a longshot, but do any Chicagoons have an extra copy of today's Tribune I could buy off them? I didn't get home until like 5am yesterday and by the time I woke up, they were completely sold out everywhere.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Poque posted:

Oh it's my fault, I forgot to make a donation pledge. $5 for every Cubs hit the rest of the series like last one. Hope the karmic scales shift now.

I still haven't fully processed this in my head yet.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ShortThug posted:

I was just there. Line took about 30 mins to get in but I didn't buy anything since everything was in L or XL. Just ordered stuff online.

Yeah I already ordered a fitted hat with the world champion patch, one of the locker room shirts and a framed pennant from mlb.com. But I think I'm going to get another world champion hat. That way I can have one hat to wear and one hat to sit forever in pristine condition.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

AsInHowe posted:

There are pixel-style Minecraft foam swords for sale at Wrigley Field, with Cubs logos attached.

I can totally understand real-life merchandise from film/game IP, like action figures and stuff, but what in the unholy gently caress does Minecraft have to do with the Cubs?! :psyboom:

Quest For Glory II posted:

Hey guys, you know how the World Series just ended like 12 hours ago? CUBS ALREADY FAVORED TO WIN 2017 WORLD SERIES :suicide:

Thom P. Tiers posted:

The Cubs being good has nothing to do with me not wanting him to be the manager.

Yeah, but I'm saying that the manager only has so much control over how his players perform. Maddon made some boneheaded decisions that didn't bite him in the rear end in the very end because his players bailed him out; Matheny wasn't as fortunate this season but the Cardinals are always contenders. I totally understand Cards fans not liking him, but at the very least I'm trying to be sympathetic and amiable because I truly don't hate the Cards.

CubsWoo posted:

For 2004 at least, the Red Sox gave rings to everyone who was on the roster that year, including Brandon Puffer, a relief pitcher who was a one-game September callup who never actually appeared or threw a pitch for the team. He ended up spending a few years in jail for burglary and intent to commit sexual assault. Somebody tried to sell it on Pawn Stars a few years back but they wouldn't take it considering his reputation.

If I had to guess I would assume at least everyone who was called up to the team will get a ring, possibly everyone on the 40-man, and then a scaled-down version of the ring for front office staff, maybe Wrigley workers, people like that.

Oh yeah, they'll definitely do multiple versions of the rings, I just want to see everyone recognized for their contributions towards making this happen, from all the retired Cubs to guys like Nathan and Richard who tried to help but weren't here in the end. :shobon:

mastershakeman posted:

the cardinals will never win another game of baseball ever. it's over for them

"The Cards, they ain't gonna win no more." :bahgawd:

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I know it's a longshot, but do any Chicagoons have an extra copy of today's Tribune I could buy off them? I didn't get home until like 5am yesterday and by the time I woke up, they were completely sold out everywhere.

You can buy them from the Tribune directly for $10 but they're absolutely slammed right now and I think they've said the wait could be 2-3 weeks after you order. (EDIT: 15-20 business days.)

http://store.chicagotribune.com/chicago-tribune-11-3-2016-back-issue.html

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 3, 2016

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

CubsWoo posted:

You can buy them from the Tribune directly for $10 but they're absolutely slammed right now and I think they've said the wait could be 2-3 weeks after you order.

Thanks for this.

I don't care how long it takes, as long as I get it. It's not for reading, it's for saving.

e: the website is so swamped, I can't get past the checkout page :smith:

Kevlar v2.0 fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 3, 2016

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

The Curse of the Billy Goat is dead

Long live the Curse of Ricky Vaughn

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CubsWoo posted:

You can buy them from the Tribune directly for $10 but they're absolutely slammed right now and I think they've said the wait could be 2-3 weeks after you order. (EDIT: 15-20 business days.)

Oh thanks for this. I'll probably check a couple places in the burbs but I'm assuming they'll all be sold out. I've got the sun times.

Also, do you approve of my new avatar Kevlar?

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Honoured to accept the world series MVP due to the famous "Chexoid's Blessing" having a perfect 3-0 record. Everyone here deserves it though these guys are grinders. Thanks to God for giving me the strength to post extremely well.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Also, Henry Rowengartner should totally get a World Series ring for real now.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

TMMadman posted:

Also, Henry Rowengartner should totally get a World Series ring for real now.

Send him 6 rings inscribed with Rullenverter, Rabinboozer, Rosinbagger, Gardenhoser, Rullengruder, and Runamucker

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Grant Brisbee wrote an article. It's pretty good.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

Pancakes posted:

I'm sure I'll be guilty of this in time as well, but Cardinals fans complaining about how the Cubs winning the Series makes them feel reeks of the same kind of privilege that leads to MRA's, arguments for "White History Month", Young Republicans holding "Reverse Affirmative Action" bake sales, etc. We're not the best of friends between our respective fanbases but the morning after is way too early to start complaining. For once the Cardinals aren't the best team in their division. Somehow I think we'll all still survive. Let them have their moment.

E: This is more inspired by the BFiB stuff I've been seeing, your post just caught me at the wrong moment. :glomp:

you are projecting a lot for a joke post friend please relax and have a good time

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Any rich cubs fan willing to buy me an avatar? I'll wear it until the next time a Chicago team wins a championship :toxx:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Teams are beginning to pick up/decline their options on players. Ryan Howard's Phillies career is officially over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

RC Cola posted:

Any rich cubs fan willing to buy me an avatar? I'll wear it until the next time a Chicago team wins a championship :toxx:

If you pick out an avatar, I'll give you a gift certificate when I get home later tonight.

• Locked thread