Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I just binged all 6 seasons of the Larry Sanders Show. Why hadn't anyone told me about this show?! It has been catapulted into one of my top two favorite comedies of all time. Rip torn and Jeffrey tambor are perfect in every scene. Every part of this show is amazing. I can't stop grinning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

buddhanc posted:

I just binged all 6 seasons of the Larry Sanders Show. Why hadn't anyone told me about this show?! It has been catapulted into one of my top two favorite comedies of all time. Rip torn and Jeffrey tambor are perfect in every scene. Every part of this show is amazing. I can't stop grinning

Elvis Costello profesional dick and David Duchovny

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Unzip and Attack posted:

I loved Bloodline season 1. I was fortunate to go in with zero expectations (I just saw the show in my queue and figured what the hell) so I was blown away by how good it was. Ben Mendelsohn went from "guy I've never heard of" to "this dude is one of the best actors alive" in the span of those episodes.

I am reluctant to even watch season 2. The first was so good I just don't think I want to know any more. It's like Godfather 3- I've never watched it to this day and I'm glad of it.

EDIT:

God drat you.

Season 2 is similar to season 1 in that it's pretty slow and kind of meh and then each episode is a bit better than the last. Difference is I had no expectations for season 1 but for 2 I was hyped up so it was a little disappointing at first. But once finished it's a great season as well.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Barreled through the last episodes of a couple shows, especially things I had forgotten to finish.

Deep Space Nine Season 4 - Immensely rewarding. The willingness to put the characters in uncomfortable positions and examine the flaws of the Star Trek world is amazing.

Luke Cage - Decent and fun, but not the best of the Marvel shows. The soundtrack of Marvel stuff isn't usually great, so the fact this soundtrack is so incredible is really worth mentioning.

Orphan Black Season 3 - is it worth continuing this? Getting through this season was a struggle and it seems like it's becoming less about the fun characters and more about sci-fi conspiracies. Allison and Helena's stories were the only ones I enjoyed. I'd probably want to drop it entirely but Ferdinand beating the poo poo out of his buddy while cheerfully telling the heroes he's switching sides was such a great end to the season that it's tempting me to keep going.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I consider season 3 of orphan black to be one of the better ones. Season 4 does indeed continue to introduce even more STUFF so that may bother you.

On the other hand season 5 has been confirmed as the final one so I still have high hopes for it to end well.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Oh dang. Well if I'm that close to the end, I might as well stick with it.

By adding more stuff, is there entire new conspiracies or does it focus back on Neolution? Because there only being three groups within Dyad doesn't sound too bad.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

There's another layer to the conspiracy yes :cheeky:

Tbh it's not even fully revealed by the end of the season so I'm not even sure where it's all going.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I remembered seeing some raving reviews back in the day, so jumped in it without seeing how things turned out. And I can totally see why people liked it the first season, but by season 3 (or 4?) as it kept getting more and more ridiculous, I just stopped caring and eventually watching. It's a shame, they had a pretty cool premise.

The last series I binged on was Rome, now that was awesome and it sucks that they killed it after only two seasons.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
So I am binging Black Mirror and really getting a kick out of it. However, one episode in particular, White Bear, blew me the gently caress away. The twist was really good, and when he pours pills on the ground showing that they are going to make her re-live the event again I was like :asoiaf:

This series is a mindfuck, and very enjoyable.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Last night I wanted to watch one of those reality DIY shows, and I stumbled upon Salvage Dawgs. These guys go into old houses slated for demolition, pull out things like doors, windows, and plumbing fixtures, and sell them at a high markup to people who have no taste. What they don't sell the use as material for crazy furniture, like bathtub couches and this sink made out of a navy boot locker:

Apparently there's a group of people that absolutely eat this poo poo up, since these guys are still in business.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Konstantin posted:

Last night I wanted to watch one of those reality DIY shows, and I stumbled upon Salvage Dawgs. These guys go into old houses slated for demolition, pull out things like doors, windows, and plumbing fixtures, and sell them at a high markup to people who have no taste. What they don't sell the use as material for crazy furniture, like bathtub couches and this sink made out of a navy boot locker:

Apparently there's a group of people that absolutely eat this poo poo up, since these guys are still in business.

Ever watch Flea Market Flip?

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Does Person of Interest get better after the pilot? It was pretty cheesy and gave me the sense that's it's going to be a "solving the crime of the week" kind of show. I've heard it gets better though, so I'll definitely give it a few more episodes anyways.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It definitely gets better but since there's so many episodes a season there tends to be a lot of filler. I'd say if you haven't started to like the characters by episode 5 there won't be much in it for you. Most of the ride is rooting for the main cast. Oh and a lot of pretending to hit invisible earpieces. Like an astonishing amount.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

johnsonrod posted:

Does Person of Interest get better after the pilot? It was pretty cheesy and gave me the sense that's it's going to be a "solving the crime of the week" kind of show. I've heard it gets better though, so I'll definitely give it a few more episodes anyways.

Yeah that's totally not representative of what it turns into. Takes about half of season one to really start moving, but once it does it's p great.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I only like the episodes with Sarah Shahi

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Mu Zeta posted:

I only like the episodes with Sarah Shahi

That's a strange way to spell Bear.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Bear owns. :colbert:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

There's a reason my avatar is what it is. :staredog:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

johnsonrod posted:

I was skeptical after the pilot too, because it seemed like a generic procedural. But there is a turning point coming up, where it goes from bland/boring/basic to intriguing, and that's episode 7. I think if you can make it that far, you'll be all in. Just be patient and don't spoil yourself.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Watching Deadwood again because it's awesome, ****suckers!

Cannot wait for the movie. Should be awesome.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
just started Bates Motel

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Scrapez posted:

Watching Deadwood again because it's awesome, ****suckers!

Cannot wait for the movie. Should be awesome.
Hopefully they will be able to afford more than two sets

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Finally finished Spartacus. While the overall tone of the show is pretty unique, the build towards the end in the final episodes and how much the finale tied the whole series together really reminded me of The Shield. Easily among my favorite shows and a damned fine finale.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

johnsonrod posted:

It's perhaps the only great cyberpunk thriller you will get out of network tv.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Is Longmire any good? I'm thinking of binging it. I was enjoying Narcos, but I'm almost to the end of season 1 and I'm just sick of the vibe it puts off. I would ask for suggestions but I've seen so many shows at this point I don't even think I could begin to list what I've seen and enjoyed, at least right now. Basically any suggestions that aren't already well known would be a good start I guess.

e: what about The Returned? I've seen some people in this thread say good, some say bad so I dunno. I'm not too picky as long as it's passably interesting. I watched the first episode a while back and remember the premise piqued my curiosity. FWIW I liked 4400

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Oct 30, 2016

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Are you talking about the French version or the American remake? The French version is fantastic.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I just noticed netflix had both. I'll watch the french one then, I don't mind subtitles. Also it has 2 seasons so that's a plus. I tried longmire, it was okay but I'd prefer something more serialized.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Gomorrah season 1 - It's great. A solid gangster movie that also happens to be 10+ hours long. Packed full of action and things happening. Kind of like a cross between Narcos and Goodfellas, but with like 50% more action. Really enjoyed it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Longmire gets a little more serialized later on. Still balanced with episodic plots though.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Is Longmire any good? I'm thinking of binging it. I was enjoying Narcos, but I'm almost to the end of season 1 and I'm just sick of the vibe it puts off. I would ask for suggestions but I've seen so many shows at this point I don't even think I could begin to list what I've seen and enjoyed, at least right now. Basically any suggestions that aren't already well known would be a good start I guess.

e: what about The Returned? I've seen some people in this thread say good, some say bad so I dunno. I'm not too picky as long as it's passably interesting. I watched the first episode a while back and remember the premise piqued my curiosity. FWIW I liked 4400
Longmire is excellent.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm on the second episode of Hooten & and the Lady. It's FANTASTIC!

Ophelia Lovibond crushes everything.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

I started 6 Feet Under again from the beginning. I gave up during season 3 when it first aired and now I remember why I gave up. It is not that it is bad, far from, and I can handle depressing but the energy level just plummets and low-energy and depressing is like trudging through mud. I made it to season 4 now and plan to keep going.

It is also crazy how much I related to Claire 15 years ago and on rewatch I now relate to Nate and David.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I watched it a few years ago because of all the praise it gets. I found it mostly boring and most of the family pretty lovely. I kept going due to how everyone thought the series finale was crazy but I just found it funny and not compelling. I really hated Claire too. Man I just didn't get that show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

York_M_Chan posted:

I started Six Feet Under again from the beginning. I gave up during season 3 when it first aired and now I remember why I gave up. It is not that it is bad, far from, and I can handle depressing but the energy level just plummets and low-energy and depressing is like trudging through mud. I made it to season 4 now and plan to keep going.

Oh, wow. Let us know when you watch _that_ episode.

You'll know it when you see it.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I just discovered Rick and Morty. Burning through them pretty quick.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I just discovered Rick and Morty. Burning through them pretty quick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc8uyJTDhjw

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Just finished A Very Secret Service. Fantastic show, it's absolutely hilarious. It's in French with subtitles and it has a bunch of background details and tie-ins, so it doesn't make a great watch-in-the-background show, but it's well worth paying your full attention to. Can't wait for the next season.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Not a series, but I watched Bo Burnham's standup "Make Happy" on Netflix the other day and enjoyed it. The finale was ... quite something. If you enjoy comedy with some funny songs sprinkled in, you may like it as well I'd say.

By the way, what has Tim Minchin been up to lately?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Finished Stranger Things recently and I liked it a lot. Thought the weakest part was the ending with the creature and the strongest part was Eleven. Great show and I want more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Finally getting around to watching Preacher. Interesting take on the source material.