Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The fourth and final season airs Wednesdays at 10EST on the Sundance Channel.

precision fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I'm really saddened to see how little love this show has gotten. This thread was just made with no responses.

Having just watched the S4 premiere, I'll say that it was one of the most well-written and beautiful episodes of the series, and then say that Rectify is the best show on television. And nobody watches it.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Every year it becomes more and more ridiculous how underwatched and underappreciated this show is.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
A lot of beautiful scenes in that episode.

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

this is a very good television program

I thoroughly enjoyed that first episode but the season promo at the end is making me anxious

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Very good premiere. Absolutely loved the scene with Daniel and the group leader near the end.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

break-up breakdown posted:

this is a very good television program

I thoroughly enjoyed that first episode but the season promo at the end is making me anxious

Yeah I bailed on that after a few seconds, not the way I'd want to consume a show like this but I can see why they would he compelled to have it.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Very good premiere. Absolutely loved the scene with Daniel and the group leader near the end.

Definitely. And just the subtleties of the writing.

For example, when Daniel's house mate tells the group about how he's not sure if people at work at loving with him or not and we hear the group leader tell him that it's not about respect. And then Daniel at his job takes heavy offense at his boss telling him to re-do his order when any normal person would be a little pissed but have it be nothing out of the ordinary.

It's those little things that McKinnon shows so well - when you're in prison, the only identity you can have is your respect/credibility to your cell mates, and you see it happening in two different ways with two different people. Everything is magnified for Daniel, especially since he had no interaction with people one-on-one for twenty years. The artwork making him cry is another version of that and tells of another struggle: finding meaning.

It's poignant that this program is all about finding work and the only places who will hire people like Daniel are for menial tedious isolated work. But Daniel sees this place where people are creating things with real impact and expression and is trying to reconcile. So now, we see him trying his best to find meaning and enjoy life with what he has. And I don't think it's going to end well.

Such a good episode.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I agree but also I'd be fuckin pissed if I had to redo that order and everyone was blaming it on me for no good reason

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"To what end?" Was the line of the episode.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
This show is brilliant in every way and it absolutely crushes me. Dan's talk with Avery was just excellent writing, and the end scene of him allowing himself to sit down and play cards was just beautiful, and I really like the new girl Chloe.

Can't wait to see more Clayne Crawford and Abigail Spencer as I can't bring myself to watch their shows Lethal Weapon and Timeless. I'm guessing they're bad but by no fault of those fine actors.

precision posted:

"To what end?" Was the line of the episode.

Yeah. This infuriated me to no end.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
We used to play Tonk in high school. I thought it was a forgotten card game.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

pahuyuth posted:

This show is brilliant in every way and it absolutely crushes me. Dan's talk with Avery was just excellent writing, and the end scene of him allowing himself to sit down and play cards was just beautiful, and I really like the new girl Chloe.

Can't wait to see more Clayne Crawford and Abigail Spencer as I can't bring myself to watch their shows Lethal Weapon and Timeless. I'm guessing they're bad but by no fault of those fine actors.

Lethal Weapon is great, his character especially

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

I agree but also I'd be fuckin pissed if I had to redo that order and everyone was blaming it on me for no good reason

Yeah I definitely got the sense they were of course blaming the fuckup on him since he's a convict and of course is expendable (and they know he needs the job so he will just take it instead of taking his protests much further), and his coworker was a giant douche about the whole thing.

Anyway, the scene with the group leader was amazing and very poignant, though I still felt it paled in comparison to the dream sequence with Kerwin in S3. I am a grown-rear end man and that scene made me cry.

I really like the premise of Daniel's storyline this season, what with Daniel and the other convicts trying to move on in life and form new identities as people who are no longer in jail, to really reform. I wondered during a couple scenes if the other guys actually knew that Daniel was on death row for nearly twenty years. If they did, I'm not sure they were making the connection that Daniel is actually pretty socially stunted and extremely anxious around people, not having interacted with hardly anyone for two decades.

The show does a stellar job of giving you the impression that Daniel is so broken, he could explode at any time. It lends a tension to all the scenes where he's interacting with new people who don't know he's a convicted murderer who was on DR, as if they could say something to trigger him.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

No responses after the second episode...

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I haven't been able to see it yet cause I need subtitles for things and this show isn't popular enough for someone to put decent synced versions online yet but I am super impatient

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

No responses after the second episode...

Haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but it's probably gonna be the first thing I do when I get home.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Haven't seen it either... I need to wait until I'm in the right frame of mind because this show absolutely destroys me. It's just so beautiful and infuriating at the same time.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
This episode absolutely destroyed me. So, a typical Rectify experience.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Another strong episode, a step down from the premiere but getting to see everyone else more than made up for it.

"It's not a fad!"

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

good ep good tv

whoever's editing together the previews at the end is a motherfucker though and i need to stop watching them

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's a massive scramble to find my remote and press the stop button once that poo poo starts

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

add a little dramatic music and a daniel voiceover and suddenly you've got me stressing over a shot of 'high woman observes sunset'

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The second episode was obviously very good, but I wish we got more Daniel.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Honestly, I'm not a big fan of Daniel-less episodes, but I did like Janet's quiet revenge against Trey.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Every season, every actor gets more and more into their role, it's been a real joy to watch. I'm glad Bobby Dean came back, I felt like resolving the story without him would have been weird.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I was completely bored with the entire third episode aside from the scene with Daniel at his group meeting.

:(

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I know it's silly to wish they'd focus on the case more but I really wish they'd focus on the case more

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah I got the sense in e2 that Daniel's lawyer was capitulating to his bosses' faces, but in reality he intends to not let it go and keep on trying to get Daniel cleared, so we may see more of the case plot point later in the season?

And even though I guess we're still not supposed to ever know whether or not Daniel actually did murder the girl, everything he's saying seems to point to no; he even admits he basically only confessed so he could get them off his back and just end it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Screw the case, this Furby storyline is riveting.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Lycus posted:

Screw the case, this Furby storyline is riveting.

It's like Daniel's tapes, but more money and more secret.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
Rectify is a great friend-detector.

Clayne Crawford deserves an Emmy. Too bad it's a tight field and probably Jonathan Banks' turn.

And Season 4 is great so far. I haven't missed the case one bit. I really hope Daniel's new roommate doesn't gently caress with Chloe.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Other than the Janet-Ted store story I thought that was fantastic. Melvin showing up was hilarious.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I cannot understate how amazing Clayne Crawford has been during this show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Kinda bizarre that the Furbys ended up not being Daniel's.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What year is this show set in again? Furbys were a thing around 99, right? So Jared was born in like....94?

Anyway another strong ep but other than the premiere not sure we're hitting the usual highs yet. Caitlin FitzGerald is absolutely killin it, though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hannah made Daniel a mixtape with Mazzy Star on it, and Daniel jams out to Cracker's "Low", which would place him going to prison around 1994, and the show taking place in 2014. Pretty sure Jared's 17 or 18.

I could have sworn Furbys were a late 80s thing and were not at all popular though. Mandela Effect strikes again:

quote:

Over 40 million Furbies were sold during the three years of its original production, with 1.8 million sold in 1998, and 14 million in 1999.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

the gently caress is up with this weak season

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

First ep ruled, second also good, third was pretty boring.. not sure how to feel about this one. I think it makes sense as a quiet-before-the-storm sort of thing.

I liked all the Daniel stuff, the end was rough. Actually the manic-pixie-dream-girl thing is a little hard to believe.

Amantha was okay, she's getting over a lot of what kept her in arrested development by loving Meechum I guess.

Store poo poo was boring aside from Ted Jr aspect and that was still a little hard to read.

Lawyer poo poo got kinda cool at the end? But I'd almost rather we left the "what really happened" alone by now, unless it winds up being mind-blowing or something.

Idgi with the Tawney stuff so much and I'm not compelled to figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

androo posted:

Lawyer poo poo got kinda cool at the end? But I'd almost rather we left the "what really happened" alone by now, unless it winds up being mind-blowing or something.

I'm telling you, Melvin did it.

• Locked thread