Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It sucks how much the final fantasy name is getting over saturated, there is good games coming out but no one even makes a thread about them because there is like 6 "final fantasy" games out this year.

-said no one ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Record Keeper is turn-based but you're not playing it for the plot, it's extremely bare-bones in that regard. The draw is that it's a F2P game with tons of cool FF nostalgia that isn't ridiculously scummy about wanting your money. You can get up to the hardest level of content in the game without spending a dime within a month or two of starting the game, and stay that way unless you're ridiculously unlucky with your free currency (or making extremely poor decisions while spending it).

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
why is zidane not in WoFF

where is the ff9 representation

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Her name is Eiko

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gologle posted:

Does Record Keeper have a story? Is it a traditional turn based RPG?

It's a final fantasy skinned slot machine like all Japanese mobile games. Avoid

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Well sorry, my post implied all Japanese mobile games are Final Fantasy skinned slot machines. I meant to say they're all slot machines, but this one is Final Fantasy themed.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Record Keeper is fun for a couple hours and then gets insanely bad.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Captain Baal posted:

Her name is Eiko

And Vivi.

In the Postscript, I'm at talking to Serafie to begin the operation. I've done every Intervention. Is starting the op the end sequence of the game? Is this the post game content people talked about or is there still plenty more to do from here?

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 3, 2016

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Nephzinho posted:

And Vivi.

In the Postscript, I'm at talking to Serafie to begin the operation. I've done every Intervention. Is starting the op the end sequence of the game? Is this the post game content people talked about or is there still plenty more to do from here?

Ending stuff
Yes, once you start the operation you're jumped straight to the final boss. If you've finished every intervention quest then you'll unlock the post game dungeons afterward

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Ending stuff
Yes, once you start the operation you're jumped straight to the final boss. If you've finished every intervention quest then you'll unlock the post game dungeons afterward

Nice, didn't want to have to rerun the entire Chain and Castle poo poo again. They dragged on a little beyond the point of being entertaining. The last few chapters have been really long, actually. The cogna interventions, the crystal tower, the chain, exnine castle, the pleiads -- pretty significant grind.

So, best place for xp grinding end/post game? I have a few mirage boards just shy of mastery before I start trying post game dungeons or going into online.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Record Keeper isn't turn based, it's active battle. You can slow it down quite a bit though, and there is a pause button (though you can't input any commands when paused).

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Nephzinho posted:

Nice, didn't want to have to rerun the entire Chain and Castle poo poo again. They dragged on a little beyond the point of being entertaining. The last few chapters have been really long, actually. The cogna interventions, the crystal tower, the chain, exnine castle, the pleiads -- pretty significant grind.

So, best place for xp grinding end/post game? I have a few mirage boards just shy of mastery before I start trying post game dungeons or going into online.

Grinding depends on level

Post Game talk
Go into the EX dungeon to the right when you unlock them, chest south of the entrance has EXP+ in it. From there if your under level 60 and don't want to pay attention go to Icicle Ridge where Kyubi was and just grind there and you can get up to 100k each fight. When you're at level 60+ you can attempt to fight in the EX dungeons but everything is really loving sturdy despite it being normal rear end mirages

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Nephzinho posted:

And Vivi.

Protip for final boss: Equip a resist confuse jewel on Lann and Reynn or keep up reflect status so one of his attacks doesn't ruin you

Nephzinho posted:

The EX dungeons are the best place. Things hit hard though, so be ready. The dungeons go from right to left in terms of easiest to hardest. The right most portal should take you to the sunken temple map, while the leftmost is the Pyrewood forest.

Stuff in Pyrewood gives good exp, especially if you have a lot of AOE so you can nuke down the groups before they destroy you.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Nov 3, 2016

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
hey, since no one made a WOFF thread, I figured I'd try, so does this seem like a reasonable OP?

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=145902

Anything else I could add/general suggestions/thread title ideas? I haven't made one before, so I was just kinda looking at other ones to get an idea.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Anyone have good multiplayer stack recs? I've got Pale Baby Tonberry / Gilgamesh / Behemoth as a beatstick with good def/HP/agi. Thinking of Mist Dragon/Magni Rider for a highly evasive counter-er, but not sure what to put on top. Think there is a good support stack with Princess Goblin as a M but not sure how to build around it, maybe Undead Princess and Searcher for a nice Magic stack?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

For those of you who got it, how cool is the artbook that came with the day 1 edition of World of Final Fantasy? I can either grab the version without the book for free during the target sale, or for reduced price on Amazon.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's some lame like ten page thing stapled to the side of the box, don't worry about the "art book".

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
The CE art book is cute.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I went ahead and made the World of Final Fantasy thread, if anyone's interested.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Protip for final boss: Equip a resist confuse jewel on Lann and Reynn or keep up reflect status so one of his attacks doesn't ruin you

Whelp, got my first gameover on the last boss. He is really, really fast. Even so the expected thing got me with about 20% hp left. So, what mirage boards have Resist Confusion gems before I start digging through everything?

Now that I think about it, I probably would've survived if I had used any of the XLs I have to buy some time/soak some poo poo.

e; Yep, that did it. Swapped Ramewl in for Behemoth, set Behemoth to XL, and as soon as I got into trouble I had him come out in Meteor Counterstance and burned the last 1/3 of HP.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 3, 2016

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I guess I should have expected it since it's a Japanese game, but my German heritage led me to believe Eiko was pronounced "eye-ko", not "ay-ko"

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I wish Seraphie was the sidekick.

Reynn is just generally great.

This is a good game and I'm glad I got it!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cavelcade posted:

I wish Seraphie was the sidekick.

Reynn is just generally great.

This is a good game and I'm glad I got it!

I would play a NG+ mode where Tama was swapped with Serafie.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Serafie is easily top 10 FF chars of all time

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Serafie is love, Serafie is great. The English VA nailed the voice too, while Tama is really only fun and cute with the Japanese VA.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah Serafie owns, I've no idea what she sounds like in English but she's amazing in Japanese

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah Serafie owns, I've no idea what she sounds like in English but she's amazing in Japanese

She has a way deeper voice than you might think, and it also sounds super bored all the time. It is pretty great.

So the biggest question here so far is when is WoFF 2 happening? The by far best part of WoFF is the writing of the FF characters and the cross-over interactions, and the world being this kinda neat hodgepodge of each game is also really cool, so as a result I just really want more moments like Snow and Greg becoming bros by way of them both being dumb as a sack of bricks. Also it really helps make a lot of characters way more fun, like the aforementioned Snow who is waaay better in this than he was in 13.

Also while I am making a wish, maybe it could also kinda be a proper JRPG version of Record Keeper and instead of building a party of monsters you have tons of FF characters to select and switch around.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Black Mage Knight posted:

She has a way deeper voice than you might think, and it also sounds super bored all the time. It is pretty great.

So the biggest question here so far is when is WoFF 2 happening? The by far best part of WoFF is the writing of the FF characters and the cross-over interactions, and the world being this kinda neat hodgepodge of each game is also really cool, so as a result I just really want more moments like Snow and Greg becoming bros by way of them both being dumb as a sack of bricks. Also it really helps make a lot of characters way more fun, like the aforementioned Snow who is waaay better in this than he was in 13.

Also while I am making a wish, maybe it could also kinda be a proper JRPG version of Record Keeper and instead of building a party of monsters you have tons of FF characters to select and switch around.

WoFF mentions an "expansion" as a joke in one of the missions but that may just be a joke (they actually mention Sephiroth who is DLC so that may just be a weirdly-translated reference to that) and we know Sora is coming eventually so they may have some more detailed DLC planned for it down the line.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

WoFF has like a million references to them wanting to make a sequel so I kinda hope it gets greenlit if they do pitch it.

Lot of Mirage descriptions are just straight up "we're saving this for the next game."

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
They have plenty of characters and monsters they could put in another one too.

Unrelated but it is pretty neat that they're going to keep adding coliseum stuff and other challenges after release.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Speaking of Mirage/character descriptions:

Also the Kupirate one which talks about how they all share the same voice by reasons of "Magic" (aka budget limitations)

EDIT: I really recommend everyone just sits down and reads through the bestiary and character profiles because they are really good.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

How do you lower a enemies evasion? I just noticed the Master Cactuar's requirement is to lower his and I don't think I've seen anything like that the entire game (that or I haven't noticed)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I don't even have the right console to play WoFF, and I want to see more of it. It's just such a cute game, and they're clearly putting so much heart into making it a good proper celebration. (EDIT: The fact they gave my favorite FF character, Faris, a fairly nice role helps.)

I'm surprised, given the story having the encroaching empire with a single external town and a resistance force, that the original has absolutely zero FFII representation. It's not like they seem to have a bar of obscurity II falls below, they have a character from loving Crystal Chronicles in there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I don't even have the right console to play WoFF, and I want to see more of it. It's just such a cute game, and they're clearly putting so much heart into making it a good proper celebration.

I'm surprised, given the story having the encroaching empire with a single external town and a resistance force, that the original has absolutely zero FFII representation. It's not like they seem to have a bar of obscurity II falls below, they have a character from loving Crystal Chronicles in there.

FF2 is widely considered the worst game in the series even among the Japanese fanbase. The obscure games that got favoritism are usually ones that staff members who made the game have worked on before. The combination of the two leaves FF2 (and FF12) kind of in the dust as unfair as that is considering that Dirge of Cerberus got a major role.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
FF14 is another game with zero representation. Really the selection at times is kinda weird, what with FF4 only having Rydia inspite of it generally being one of the more nostalgia heavy games in the franchise. But yeah, FF2 not having any characters does feel a little weird, because I feel that someone like Firion could work pretty well with a lot of other cast members, similar to Dissidia.

EDIT: Another thing with the bestiary/character profiles is that it gives them room to go even deeper with the references, like in Fenrir's entry there is "(Wheels and sword compartment not included with this model.)", and the Reaver Mu explaining that it is supposed to be River Mu, but the mistranslation from Crystal Chronicles painted way too amusing of an image, so they kept it.

Black Mage Knight fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Nov 4, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They do have to save some stuff for a sequel but I get the genuine impression that the character and series lineup is probably decided entirely by the staff favortism beyond probably someone at Square-Enix going "if Cloud, Squall and Lightning aren't all in there you're fired."

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

FF14 is another game with zero representation. Really the selection at times is kinda weird, what with FF4 only having Rydia inspite of it generally being one of the more nostalgia heavy games in the franchise. But yeah, FF2 not having any characters does feel a little weird, because I feel that someone like Firion could work pretty well with a lot of other cast members, similar to Dissidia.

Thinking about it, I bet you could have a really neat twofer on both II and IV by including a Mysidia based on both. Minwu's loving rad and probably the most memorable figure from II after Firion and the Emperor (who get the Dissidia bump), and there's plenty of magic poo poo in IV to pull from even if we aren't willing to have Palom and Porom be in before a bunch of others.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If they make a WoFF 2, I really hope they polish the gameplay at least, like giving us a third stack, or little things like making it easier to level new Mirages.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

FF14 is another game with zero representation.

As a nostalgia bomb game, I don't know if that bothers me. 14's story is still happening. It's basically the most recent game - Noctis isn't in it either, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Since it's a nostalgia game they should put refs to FF14 1.0 in it.