Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"Reductio Ad Absurdum!" Hermione shouted, and just like that, Crabbe was transmogrified into a chicken in front of Harry's own eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Speaking of minecraft modding, Flowerchild was also one of those idiots who insisted on using adfly for all the download links to their mods, a site full of malware advertisements, so they could make a fraction of penny after thousands of people download their mod.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

CJacobs posted:

reductio ad adsurdum

It's not even a fallacy. These motherfuckers think that just because you describe something in Latin it's some spell to abjure whatever someone's point is (see also "ad hominem").

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Thats why you pull some habeas corpus on them

Wait nvm i dont think you want to see your average modders bodies

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Speaking of minecraft modding, Flowerchild was also one of those idiots who insisted on using adfly for all the download links to their mods, a site full of malware advertisements, so they could make a fraction of penny after thousands of people download their mod.

"One of". This poo poo is still the standard from what I've seen.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

QuantaStarFire posted:

About paid mods: Wasn't one of the issues also that authors could have free mods as dependencies, but not the other way around, so someone could take a cool armor or something from a modders' resource, make a paid mod with it, and never have to compensate anyone?
The issue was that the modding community had been working pro bono for years, so it was no big deal if someone said, "Hey, can I include your sword/armor/titcrabs in my collection?" But when those people turned around and started charging for things they hadn't developed, and especially since the Steam system didn't have any way to divvy up the profits, "modding resource" creators suddenly started questioning whether that made sense.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

IShallRiseAgain posted:

He's also the creep who made the No More Wolves mod, if memory serves.

Hell, he was what killed my last lingering enjoyment for the game. Such a pathetic, creepy person.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

CJacobs posted:

"Reductio Ad Absurdum!" Hermione shouted, and just like that, Crabbe was transmogrified into a chicken in front of Harry's own eyes.

Reductio is already a spell and can only be cast on objects, not people, nerd.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Gorilla Salad posted:

He's also the creep who made the No More Wolves mod, if memory serves. Hell, he was what killed my last lingering enjoyment for the game. Such a pathetic, creepy person.
What's all this about?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

poptart_fairy posted:

Reductio is already a spell and can only be cast on objects, not people, nerd.

make a skyrim mod about it, nerd

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

CJacobs posted:

make a skyrim mod about it, nerd

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/75943/

:smug:

I use these spells far more than is reasonable.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Jackard posted:

What's all this about?

Found my post from the old thread but a couple of people with more knowledge about the guy posted on the next page, too.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Gorilla Salad posted:

Found my post from the old thread but a couple of people with more knowledge about the guy posted on the next page, too.
So this guy has a thing for throwing dogs in ovens

Also likes vampires im guessing

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

FronzelNeekburm posted:

The issue was that the modding community had been working pro bono for years, so it was no big deal if someone said, "Hey, can I include your sword/armor/titcrabs in my collection?" But when those people turned around and started charging for things they hadn't developed, and especially since the Steam system didn't have any way to divvy up the profits, "modding resource" creators suddenly started questioning whether that made sense.

Pretty much this. The community had a pretty good thing going on wrt/using other people's assets until Valve and Bethesda came along and threw a gigantic poo poo-covered wrench into it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Flowerchild is the arthmoor of minecraft in terms of asserting his vision for the game is superior to the developer's, except instead of ~lore~, his vision is about the mechanics of some nerd poo poo lego game

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Scyantific posted:

Pretty much this. The community had a pretty good thing going on wrt/using other people's assets until Valve and Bethesda came along and threw a gigantic poo poo-covered wrench into it.
Not really? I mean, people were throwing shitfits over their precious copyright long before Valve came up with the paid-modding thing. And the dark age of paid-modding only lasted 4 days. Other then outing a handful of modders as dickbags, I don't think it really had any sort of lasting effect on the modding community.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 2, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Yeah, it exposed and exacerbated some dumb bad poo poo that already existed but I also don't think it had much of a long term impact.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

My favorite Flowerchild story is the one where he declared war against Technic and then he and his mod became irrelevant and Technic paved the way for the legitimization of easy-to-acquire mod packs.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Luckily it's mostly the modders that are uptight shitbabies. When a few of them took their ball and went home after the paid mods thing, they came crawling back pretty quickly when they realized if they were going to hide their mods, people weren't going to listen to their opinions anymore.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
My favorite Flowerchild Story is that he deliberately made his mod as incompatible as possible so that no one could play his masterpiece of wolf murder in any way he didn't intend.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Ashsaber posted:

My favorite Flowerchild Story is that he deliberately made his mod as incompatible as possible so that no one could play his masterpiece of wolf murder in any way he didn't intend.

He did this against the rising tide of Mod packs and Player-adjustable configs while doubling down on his strange Wolf-torture and animal BDSM shticks, ensuring that he offered the most unappealing choice on all fronts.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Orv posted:

Luckily it's mostly the modders that are uptight shitbabies. When a few of them took their ball and went home after the paid mods thing, they came crawling back pretty quickly when they realized if they were going to hide their mods, people weren't going to listen to their opinions anymore.

see: all the modders who protested against stolen mods/bethesda.net who took down their mods and then put them back up after like 4 days because they can't live without the constant fellatio the nexus community provides

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Digirat posted:

Flowerchild is the arthmoor of minecraft in terms of asserting his vision for the game is superior to the developer's, except instead of ~lore~, his vision is about the mechanics of some nerd poo poo lego game

Which is doubly funny because let's be honest, like 50% of the mechanics in Minecraft were done at random, and back when he was big in modding it was closer to 90% done at random.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

Mystic Mongol posted:

See, by saying a portal to the nether has to be exactly ten obsidian blocks, instead of ten or more obsidian blocks, you've created a more sophisticated game. A player could collect more of the difficult to obtain material, and make a bigger gate than normal, but then the gameplay experience for that player wouldn't be exactly the same as any other player's. That would be something a filthy casual would do.

What, you can't make smaller portals, just larger ones? That's like the only reasonable objection I can think of.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

greententacle posted:

What, you can't make smaller portals, just larger ones? That's like the only reasonable objection I can think of.

Yeah, ole' dinnerbone decided that players should be allowed to make bigger portals to hell if they want to, but even after the change a portal has to be at least two blocks wide and three blocks high. The only way it's "easier" to make a portal now is if you don't remember what shape a portal has to be, you can just throw down any ole' rectangle instead of looking it up on the wiki.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Digirat posted:

He did the exact same thing when he started modding Kerbal Space Program, too, even going so far as to revamp the tech tree in a manner that made it so there was one and exactly one "correct" way of progressing, so narrowly-defined that if you did things in any other way, unlocked techs or visited planets in any other order than the one he decreed, you were basically screwed and had to restart because there wouldn't be enough science available to unlock what you need.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, Jesus Christ, he was that guy? gently caress.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Tumblr of scotch posted:

He did the exact same thing when he started modding Kerbal Space Program, too, even going so far as to revamp the tech tree in a manner that made it so there was one and exactly one "correct" way of progressing, so narrowly-defined that if you did things in any other way, unlocked techs or visited planets in any other order than the one he decreed, you were basically screwed and had to restart because there wouldn't be enough science available to unlock what you need.

You forgot the one-sided rows he had with the devs when they wouldn't listen to his suggestions.

(He would ban you for making suggestions for his mods on his own forums)

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
He also absolutely hated Hohmann Transfer Orbits for some reason, (For those that don't know, Hohmann Transfer Orbits are one the most efficient methods of traveling between bodies, and KSP values efficiency) so he nerfed Solar Power into oblivion and made all of the batteries ridiculously heavy to try and force you into making inefficient direct transfers instead.

Scott Manley did a video on it in case you want a taste of the madness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ1HCK_beIg

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jagged Jim posted:

He also absolutely hated Hohmann Transfer Orbits for some reason, (For those that don't know, Hohmann Transfer Orbits are one the most efficient methods of traveling between bodies, and KSP values efficiency) so he nerfed Solar Power into oblivion and made all of the batteries ridiculously heavy to try and force you into making inefficient direct transfers instead.

Scott Manley did a video on it in case you want a taste of the madness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ1HCK_beIg

That reminds me of the Space Engineers modder that got obsessive about Solar Panels being far too efficient because the game was clearly set in Earth's asteroid belt (pre-Planets) and thus wouldn't get as much power as being on Earth due to the increased distance from the Sun. :goonsay:

He maintained this argument even when a Solar Panel Engineer got in on the discussion and told him how incorrect he was due to rising efficiency in current designs and the like. Solar Panels in the game already produce mere kW of power, barely enough to keep the lights and a few thrusters on, so it's not like they're all too useful to start with.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
What does a minotaur look like? Let's ask the Nexus.

Uh...

Ma'am, I think something's wrong with your tail.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Mizuti posted:

What does a minotaur look like? Let's ask the Nexus.

Uh...

Ma'am, I think something's wrong with your tail.

I'm so desensitized to the Internet's tenuous grasp on anatomy I can't tell if this is a buttplug or genuinely someone who doesn't understand how a tail connects to the body

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Not to be anal (:downsrim:) but that tail looks like it's coming out from the Coccyx, which would make the placement anatomically correct on a person if they had a tail.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
So top 5 mods of the month and we have a mod called elven chainmail. so why is it so popular to have endorsements?

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/79664

quote:

Female Only

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Kokoro Wish posted:

Not to be anal (:downsrim:) but that tail looks like it's coming out from the Coccyx, which would make the placement anatomically correct on a person if they had a tail.

I meant that the tail looked shoddy and low-effort compared to the rest of her. But the battle thong makes its placement look odd, too.

gyrobot posted:

So top 5 mods of the month and we have a mod called elven chainmail. so why is it so popular to have endorsements?

From the screenshots section. A Skyrim to Oblivion de-vamp, how creative!

Forsythia fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 4, 2016

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

gyrobot posted:

It's... not that bad really. I mean, for a alphabet-soup-body-replacer armor it actually provides protection for the entire body and seems like it would be somewhat practical to wear.

"Exposure Protection" :laugh:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jagged Jim posted:

It's... not that bad really. I mean, for a alphabet-soup-body-replacer armor it actually provides protection for the entire body and seems like it would be somewhat practical to wear.

"Exposure Protection" :laugh:

Honestly the worst you can really point out about it is maybe the boobplating, and even then it's not obscene GG-cups or something, I guess. I wouldn't quite call it practical, but it certainly at least looks like ceremonial armor.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

This ranks extremely low on the scale of awful mods, but I will never understand people who insist on making their games look like poo poo with ENB/Reshade presets.

Did you ever think to yourself, "Mass Effect is a cool game but man, I wish I could make it look more like someone's filming a TV screen on a low-quality cellphone camera"? Well, good news because now you can!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

:eyepop:

is there a lens flare tribute for lens flare tributes video?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Doc Morbid posted:

This ranks extremely low on the scale of awful mods, but I will never understand people who insist on making their games look like poo poo with ENB/Reshade presets.

Did you ever think to yourself, "Mass Effect is a cool game but man, I wish I could make it look more like someone's filming a TV screen on a low-quality cellphone camera"? Well, good news because now you can!

Looks like someone found the sliders for film grain, vignetting and saturation, and turned them all up to 11.