Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I am the person you share drive thrus with. I do the manual wobble way too much but somehow I forgot and missed that I was still in gear and lurched my car into the car in front of me. No damage and she didn't want my number, but I still felt like a giant idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 208 days!)

Cage posted:

I am the person you share drive thrus with. I do the manual wobble way too much but somehow I missed that I was still in gear and lurched my car into the car in front of me. No damage and she didn't want my number, but I still felt like a giant idiot.

You're the rear end in a top hat living in her car who is perpetually at McDonalds?! No damage, no harm, no foul (Even if it is my beat up pile of crap, I was still pissed that you hit me).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I did a boner like that shortly after getting my first driver's license. Leaving restaurant after lunch with a friend, sit in driver's seat and put in the clutch to start the engine and decide to gently caress around with the radio. Thought I was on a flat enough surface to not roll, didn't have my foot on the brakes. 5-10 seconds later there's a soft "bonk" as I tap the car that was parked behind me.

From that day on I was super diligent about keeping both the brake and clutch pressed.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I did a similar boner my first winter. The lowest speed collision/snow slide possible into the back of a 20 year old Toyota pickup. I ran up, driver said she was fine and asked if there was any damage. I ran back, didn't see any, and shook my head. She slammed the door shut and puttered off.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
people you share a parking lot with: me. in my car. with a boner.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

West SAAB Story posted:

You're the rear end in a top hat living in her car who is perpetually at McDonalds?! No damage, no harm, no foul (Even if it is my beat up pile of crap, I was still pissed that you hit me).
I don't understand this, but it was at tim hortons and I am mostly a guy.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Cage posted:

I don't understand this, but it was at tim hortons and I am mostly a guy.

I was inferring that you were the person who literally backed into be due to stupidity. There wasn't anything else to read into it, because it just wasn't funny.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

loving really?
At >$40 ea, picking up two of these was a no-brainer.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Was that just a bad example or does it always have issues metering between the sky and ground?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It is a common flaw for cheap sensors that have low dynamic range, but the limitation still exists even with a quality camera. If you expose for the sky, the ground is pitch black. Expose for the ground and the sky is pure white.

That particular image would probably have metered better if the grey sill wasn't in frame, the camera is trying real hard to properly expose it.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Number of vehicles on my commute home, 20 mins on the highway, last night late into twilight without their lights on: 3 SUVs and one semi.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=1631812&i=0

quote:

I had my Jimny parked up and it's clear a lorry has gone into the side of it. Taken out the wing, bent the front wheel and dented the door.

Upon driving it it was obvious there was something bent. The steering wheel was shaking like mad at 35mph. At 45+ it was fine. Now I pulled over, checked everything was tight and no play in anything and continued. The wheel is bent there's no two ways about it but it's drivable if you have balls.

So I go the town route home. A couple flash me to say the wheels about to fall off. I check and find its not. Say thanks on my way. Few more looks and pointing but that's fine.

I'm following a 08 plate Discovery who then proceeds to stop two lanes of traffic before getting out and asking me if I know my vehicle is unroadworthy and that the wheel is about to come off. I explain no its not. He explains that I need to pill over now and he's gonna phone the police. People are now beeping like crazy. I ask him to move his car but he just stands there saying it's unroadworthy pill over pull over. In the end I get out of my vehicle, ask him if Land Rover made the Discovery for £*#@'s or just £#*@'s like to drive them. He then gets angry gets in his car driving off on the phone.

When do people suddenly become police officers? Really annoyed me. Fair enough to the people that pointed it out but don't try and stop my journey.

The wobble is massively exaggerated due to huge At tyres on it.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Here's one of the bus drivers we share the road with.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-chappell-license-20161103-story.html

quote:

The driver of a school bus that careened into an oncoming bus Tuesday causing a deadly crash in Southwest Baltimore was not legally permitted to be driving a school bus, state officials said Thursday.

The Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration had revoked Glenn Chappell's commercial driving privileges two months ago because he failed to provide the agency with a certificate showing he was in good health.

The revelation raised questions about how well the Baltimore school system monitors the standing of drivers in its fleet of contract buses. City schools officials did not respond to requests for comment Thursday.

An attorney for the bus company, AAAfordable Transportation Inc., said Chappell passed a physical exam five months ago.

"Whether or not he failed to produce a copy to the MVA, or he produced a copy and they didn't appropriately note it on his record, or they misplaced it, I have no idea," said George Bogris, the attorney.

Chappell, 67, was killed when his school bus smashed into a Maryland Transit Administration bus. The MTA driver and four adult passengers on that bus also were killed. City and federal investigators continue to search for answers. Baltimore police said they're trying to determine whether Chappell suffered some medical emergency before the violent collision.

His family has been left to grieve and wonder what caused his school bus to veer off course.

"There had to be something. What? I'm not clear," said son Moses Chappell.

The family is waiting for autopsy results from the state medical examiner's office.

"He took care of himself. I never even saw my father drink a beer," Moses Chappell said. He said he did not know if his father suffered any health problems. "He never had a heart attack. ... I was just wondering if they're going to check his heart."

AAAfordable Transportation, a small bus company in Southwest Baltimore, is one of seven companies contracted by Baltimore schools to transport students. The company offered condolences to the victims in a statement Thursday.

"We would ask that the investigators be permitted to complete their work in the absence of speculative conclusions about what happened in the moments leading up to the accident or about the individuals involved," the company said in the statement.

Owner Mark Williams declined to say more.

"My lawyer is saying I'm not allowed to give any information," he said.

Before 7 a.m. Tuesday, Glenn Chappell and a bus aide were traveling east on Frederick Avenue to pick up their first child in Irvington. The school bus rear-ended a Ford Mustang, hit a concrete pillar and continued another block before crashing into the MTA bus.

Witnesses described mangled buses, trapped passengers and cries for help. Nine MTA passengers and the bus aide were injured. One woman woke to find glass in her mouth and two bodies lying on her.

Those killed include the MTA bus driver, Ebonee Baker, 33, a mother of four children and three stepchildren; Cherry Yarborough, 51, a secretary at the state Department of Health and Mental Hygiene; Gerald Holloway, 51, a maintenance worker at Forest Haven Nursing and Rehabilitation; and Terrance Casey, 52, a former volunteer minister, husband and father. Police have not publicly identified the last person killed, a 46-year-old woman.

"I feel for these other five families," Moses Chappell said. "I'm thankful there were no children on that bus. I'm thankful the aide survived."

AAAfordable has been contracted by the city school system since 2010, school officials said. And the contracted bus drivers must meet health standards. Glenn Chappell passed an annual physical in June, school officials said.

But his commercial driving privileges were revoked by state authorities Sept. 1, according to the MVA. State officials had warned Chappell twice, in July and again in September, that he would lose his driving privileges if he didn't provide a new medical certificate by the end of August.

MVA officials said his prior medical certification expired Sept. 1 and he was not legally permitted to drive a school bus.

Local school systems are responsible for monitoring the driving records of their bus drivers, even those working for contractors, said Bill Reinhard, spokesman for the state Board of Education. They are required to enter the names of banned drivers within 30 days into a database of disqualified school bus drivers maintained by the Maryland State Department of Education. The database allows schools to vet job candidates.

The database is confidential and the department can't say whether Chappell's name was entered, said Bill Reinhard, a state education spokesman.

State regulations allow for drivers' medical examinations to be reviewed by the public. But school officials did not comply with a request Thursday for Chappell's medical certificate.

Federal law requires employers to hold medical certificates for all their drivers with commercial licenses. The drivers must be examined by a doctor listed in a national registry to obtain a certification that lasts up to two years, said MVA spokesman Chuck Brown. The registry lists several hundred such doctors in the Baltimore area.

The MVA is "actively assisting law enforcement's bus crash investigation," officials said in a statement.

Police found no indication that the brakes on the school bus were applied before the collision. Officers said they planned to ask the bus aide what happened before the wreck.

Glenn Chappell has faced other driving-related legal problems.

Howard County was suing him over $150 in unpaid traffic tickets, court records show, but officials had been unable to locate him to serve legal papers. The suit stemmed from two incidents in 2014 when traffic cameras caught a car registered to Chappell running red lights in Columbia. Pictures from the camera included in court filings do not show whether Chappell was driving.

Chappell was sued for $30,000 over a 2007 crash in which another driver said Chappell tried to make a left-hand turn in front of him. The case was settled in 2010.

Moses Chappell described his father as a cautious, experienced driver. He drove a city taxi, a tractor-trailer and school bus over decades.

"My father has been a driver all his life," Moses Chappell said. "My father has literally received bonuses for his safe driving."

Glenn Chappell was raised in East Baltimore near Johns Hopkins Hospital. He once worked as a mechanic rebuilding transmissions and continued to tinker with cars throughout his life.

"He was the messiah of cars," his son said. "You could have a car that hadn't run in years, and he could get it running."

Later, when Moses Chappell was grown and having car troubles, his father would discourage him from spending money on a mechanic.

"He would say, 'Moses, this is just too much. You got to let me show you how to do it,'" he said.

The father and son had experienced some friction in the past. Moses Chappell filed a protective order against his father four years ago, but he said they had since reconciled. Glenn Chappell doted on his 6-year-old granddaughter and 1-year-old grandson, his son said.

"He was the reason I wanted to be a father. He was the reason I wanted to have a family," Moses Chappell said. "My family is experiencing a lot of pain. None of us expected it."

http://www.newswest9.com/clip/12871332/bus-crash-leaves-6-dead-10-injured

http://www.newswest9.com/story/33619211/driver-in-2-bus-crash-wasnt-authorized-to-drive-school-bus
He ignored two warning letters that his medical certificate saying he was good to drive was about to expire, and then that he was no longer allowed to drive a commercial motor vehicle. His employer dropped the ball on getting an updated certificate from him or not letting him drive. He also had driving violations and an assault charge that should have disqualified him from driving a bus.

Yesterday, early in the morning, a semi on northbound 95 somehow crossed the median, and I think busted through a guardrail, to wind up 3 lanes deep on southbound 95, hitting a couple of cars and I believe causing a chemical/gas leak. Four lanes of traffic funneled down to the right shoulder. This pretty much set the tone for rush hour in the entire region for the whole morning.

Edit: Where the hell did I learn to quote?

Murphys Law fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Nov 4, 2016

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Pistonheads is full of sanctimonious dickheads, but in this case, yeah, the guy's a bellend.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

spog posted:

Fair enough to the people that pointed it out but don't try and stop my journey.

Oh, they're just stopping you before your bent as gently caress wheel ruins the tire or the vibration messes up your shocks. But y'know, no big deal. Who needs tires and suspension? And telling people to gently caress off when your lorry-damaged car is exhibiting signs of damage is beyond stupid.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 4, 2016

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Had some old fart lay on the horn for a couple minutes straight when I decided moving into the middle of an intersection for a left turn was a bad idea when oncoming traffic was solid as far as I could see. There was finally a break and he flipped out when I decided to not run down a group of cyclists, only for me to go about a minute later.

I gave him the stink eye and flipped him off and he avoided me like the plague the rest of the drive. He went well below the speed limit and stopped 2 car lengths back from the next guy so he wouldn't pull up next to me. It must be my beard, it seems to frighten the elderly.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

sleepy.eyes posted:

Had some old fart lay on the horn for a couple minutes straight when I decided moving into the middle of an intersection for a left turn was a bad idea when oncoming traffic was solid as far as I could see. There was finally a break and he flipped out when I decided to not run down a group of cyclists, only for me to go about a minute later.

I gave him the stink eye and flipped him off and he avoided me like the plague the rest of the drive. He went well below the speed limit and stopped 2 car lengths back from the next guy so he wouldn't pull up next to me. It must be my beard, it seems to frighten the elderly.

Yelling at anonymous metal boxes is super easy. Pulling up next to them and facing the actual human they've been acting like a oval office towards is hard.

People suck.

Occupy Sesame Street!
Nov 20, 2012

On my drive home there's an southbound unprotected left turn onto a three lane road, which turns into an onramp in the right lane. Obviously the right lane is packed with traffic turning right from the south, so I usually just turn into the middle lane and merge over when I can like everyone else.

But today, some lady in a gold BMW decided that no, she was the one that gets to be in the middle lane, everyone else be damned. She decided this right as I finished my turn, nearly ran into my passenger side from my blind spot, and leaned on the horn for 15 seconds as she braked and zoomed around me. I guess some people are just entitled idiots.

I just merged into the space she left for me and went on my way. I almost wish she had hit me, I didn't have anywhere to be and watching her have an aneurysm over an accident 100% her fault might have been entertaining.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

On the highway heading back towards my house, it goes from 3 lanes down to 2. This is well known, and everyone who's driven through here more than 4 times knows that it's there.

Deciding the left two lanes were going too slow at only 10mph over posted, someone decided to cut hard into the right lane, and force themselves back into the middle lane within about 50 feet of a fully merging road. Sadly, the other people allowed this person in, even though it caused themselves to overcorrect slightly into the leftmost lane. It was a black BMW.

E: Trying to orate into phone because lazy just doesn't work.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 5, 2016

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

West SAAB Story posted:

On the highway heading back towards my house, it goes from 3 lanes down to 2. This is well known, and everyone who's driven through here more than 4 times knows that it's there.

Deciding the left two lanes were going too slow at only 10mph over posted, someone decided to cut hard into the right lane, and force themselves back into the middle lane within about 50 feet of a fully merging road. Sadly, the other people allowed this person in, even though it caused themselves to overcorrect slightly into the leftmost lane. It was a black BMW.

I dunno, sounds like a perfectly acceptable application of zipper merging. It's all about maximizing the efficiency of the road, even if it's just for 50'.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Geoj posted:

I dunno, sounds like a perfectly acceptable application of zipper merging. It's all about maximizing the efficiency of the road, even if it's just for 50'.

They started in the left lane, hence their hard cut into the rightmost lane, and decided to for other drivers to move for them, almost causing a crash because 75mph wasn't fast enough for them (and they are obviously more important than everyone else on the road).

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
On my way I out of my apartment complex I witnessed someone completely blow through a stop sign. And then, as I was stopped, a car pulled up, stopped, and took off - despite me already being there.

I just bought a 2017 Escape, I think that's a little more visible than my Prelude was.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

West SAAB Story posted:

They started in the left lane, hence their hard cut into the rightmost lane, and decided to for other drivers to move for them, almost causing a crash because 75mph wasn't fast enough for them (and they are obviously more important than everyone else on the road).

Sorry, I thought that was over the top enough that the sarcasm was obvious.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Geoj posted:

Sorry, I thought that was over the top enough that the sarcasm was obvious.

I thought perhaps I hadn't pointed that out well enough. To make matters worse, about 1000ft past this lane pare-down, there is another onramp. Why they didn't just keep it three lanes makes absolutely no sense, but there are probably at least 50 dickheads who do this every rushhour.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Some absolute wanker was riding my rear end so close I couldn't see their headlights coming into town last night, because I was doing 35 in a 35, knowing full well that the cops looooove running speedtraps there. Then got even closer and started flashing their highbeams and blinking when I dared to drop to 25 in a 25, because again, speedtraps.

I was going slow enough that I stuck my head out the window and bellowed YOU DIPSHIT, THE LIMIT IS loving 25 and they backed off :v:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Protocol7 posted:

On my way I out of my apartment complex I witnessed someone completely blow through a stop sign. And then, as I was stopped, a car pulled up, stopped, and took off - despite me already being there.

I just bought a 2017 Escape, I think that's a little more visible than my Prelude was.

Considering the amount of people who don't go when its their turn at a stop sign, the latter is pretty must justifiable.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Had an rear end in a top hat stop at the beginning of an on ramp because there was moderate traffic on the highway. The on ramp is 100 yards long and there was plenty of space to merge, but instead of pressing slightly on the accelerator and merging at speed he decided to try and kill himself and me.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
One of the intersections on my commute home is two intersecting one ways, which means a legal left turn on red there. Up until last week, when they just put up a "NO TURN ON RED" sign despite no accidents or anything worrying happening there. loving assholes.

So yesterday I'm coming home and everyone is still left turning on red like normal because lol it's just a sign, what's it going to do, jump off and slap you for ignoring it? I made the left turn myself and pulled up to the line of cars at the next intersection's red and noticed in front of me was a blacked out Impala with municipal plates who had just left turned on red with the pack, and as the light turned green his red and blues and siren came on and he popped the guy in front of him going straight and waved two others to the side of the road. I hastily made my exit to the right.

MrLogan posted:

Had an rear end in a top hat stop at the beginning of an on ramp because there was moderate traffic on the highway. The on ramp is 100 yards long and there was plenty of space to merge, but instead of pressing slightly on the accelerator and merging at speed he decided to try and kill himself and me.

That's my everyday start to my commute home. Even if there's one car coming, in the far left lane, nobody will merge in without stopping.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Protocol7 posted:

That must be the Bizzaro World version of my Dad. He will never, never come to a complete stop, but he does scrupulously follow the turn order.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

sleepy.eyes posted:

That must be the Bizzaro World version of my Dad. He will never, never come to a complete stop, but he does scrupulously follow the turn order.

Those two things seem contradictory. You don't get your turn based on when you sorta approach the stop sign, you get it based on when you stop. If someone's still rolling, they haven't stopped yet, so it can never be their turn, yea?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Raluek posted:

Those two things seem contradictory. You don't get your turn based on when you sorta approach the stop sign, you get it based on when you stop. If someone's still rolling, they haven't stopped yet, so it can never be their turn, yea?

Have you ever driven in Florida? I think I'm one of maybe five people in the state who completely stop. If you are going faster when you hit the line, you get to go first, or you just slow to a crawl and gun it if the other person looks like they're gonna chicken out.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

sleepy.eyes posted:

Have you ever driven in Florida? I think I'm one of maybe five people in the state who completely stop. If you are going faster when you hit the line, you get to go first, or you just slow to a crawl and gun it if the other person looks like they're gonna chicken out.

Christ, no. I'm on the other side of the country. But I just figured that the people who never quite stop wouldn't have convictions about driving etiquette that revolves around coming to a stop :shrug:

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Raluek posted:

Christ, no. I'm on the other side of the country. But I just figured that the people who never quite stop wouldn't have convictions about driving etiquette that revolves around coming to a stop :shrug:

Yeah man. I've brought this up and he just doesn't see the weirdness of his position.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

sleepy.eyes posted:

Yeah man. I've brought this up and he just doesn't see the weirdness of his position.

... just wait until you explain to the other 3 people who arrived at nearly the same time to a 4-way that the person to the right has the right of way. It seems like you either have "me first", or "I was here second, so I'm going next."

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Four way stops are dumb as gently caress and y'all should build some roundabouts.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

bolind posted:

Four way stops are dumb as gently caress and y'all should build some roundabouts.

We are actually getting more around where I live, but in the suburbs/exurbs. Converting intersections in urban neighborhoods is pretty much impossible.

That said people around here are pretty good about 4 way stops, even going as far as to understand what a flashing stoplight means!

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Found this guy doing ~65mph on 495 around DC yesterday, without a care in the world.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
If your morning commute was an hour brighter this morning, then your evening commute will be an hour darker. Keep an eye out for pedestrians and cyclists during evening rush hour.

really, reminding this thread is preaching to the choir. Spam your facebook and twitter and water-cooler chat today with reminders to drive safe after work this week

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

bolind posted:

Counterpoint: if people can't handle the myriad complexities of a loving 4-way-stop, how great do you think they'll be at using anything but the most trivial, single-lane roundabout?

I'll give you a hint: not great at all. Very bad, in fact.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

If your morning commute was an hour brighter this morning, then your evening commute will be an hour darker. Keep an eye out for pedestrians and cyclists during evening rush hour.

really, reminding this thread is preaching to the choir. Spam your facebook and twitter and water-cooler chat today with reminders to drive safe after work this week

Look at you southern types who have some amount of daylight during commuting times....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Vorkosigan posted:

Found this guy doing ~65mph on 495 around DC yesterday, without a care in the world.

I've seen something similar with half a bumper cover flapping away in the wind. Honked for a while, and the guy just gave me a "Shut up, I don't care" look.