Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

... getting abducted by the Happy Alaskan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

I'm Gary Oldman clone No 6 that clips through clone 5 when he is sitting down.

bill_murray
Apr 27, 2016

TheLastRoboKy posted:

These people don't actually want a game to play. They want a game to think about playing one day.

Ding ding ding....

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
there are still alot of citizens hoping beyond hope that CIG actually announces 3.0 is going to be delayed rather than just waiting until the last possible moment and saying "welp". The fanbase is pleading with CIG to not be just the absolute worst but I don't think they've convinced CIG yet for some reason.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

AP posted:

Just like the Aurora LX in 2013
Which they sold again another half a dozen times and will no doubt be selling again this month, not in this sale but the 2nd November sale.

Some fun quotes from that article.

quote:

Everyone has given more than enough. This is purely a “for the fun” sale / event to hopefully push our funding along.

quote:

Star Citizen is going to cost approximately $20M to make. We have this covered already between the incredible funding we’ve received from you and the commitments from investors.

It's the ship you start with but it's not a "Starter ship", it's the cheapest ship int eh game, but it's not a "Starter ship". "Starter ship 2.0" folks.

quote:

The Aurora is indicative of what we are looking to achieve in terms of detail and immersion in the final game, and while it is the cheapest player ship available it is by no means a “Starter ship”.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Madcosby posted:

Hmmm, im not really sure that watching multiple 5 hour streams of people's SC gameplay and linking two 6 second videos of them falling through the floor or angry at game mechanics is really a joke on "them"

This guy gets it.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

tuo posted:

Didn't Sandi at one point say they are expecting a customer base of around 10 million gamers for SQ42, or was that some stupid shitizen?
actually this has been a thing for a long time

chris and co are forecasting a very, very bright outlook on their game

see below

Chris Roberts posted:

I think people this early maybe represent five to ten percent of the total audience. Just based on the ratio of the people who liked Wing Commander... the number of backers in Germany is like 14 or 15 thousand. We sold 400,000 units of Wing Commander III in Germany alone, and that's assuming no market expansion from 1994 or 1995. I think there is. If you look at FTL, and FTL is difficult because it's a very small game, it did much more than 10x in the number of actual sales compared to the number of backers they had. They had like 10,000 backers and did two or three hundred thousand in sales.

My gut sense is that 5 to 10 percent of your audience is going to back you early, and I think that number is variable based on the quality. When you do something really good, it's a lower percentage; if you do something that isn't so good maybe it's 20 percent or 30 percent. I'm assuming if I deliver the game I think I'm going to deliver, if it holds up to the level of Wing Commander or Freelancer or Privateer, I think 10x would be a pretty conservative number. I think that would be right in there with what I did in the '90s. What crowdfunding has proven is that those people are still out there.

interview here

I've posted about this before, but roberts really believes this will be a billion+, not million, dollar franchise

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

ManofManyAliases posted:

No - most backers do not believe 3.0 is coming in December (at least from what the current sentiment is on Reddit).

So that means that you're part of a community where, incredibly, "some" people still actually believe that 3.0 will be out in December. That's amazing.

bill_murray
Apr 27, 2016

MeLKoR posted:

One guy says that in the thread seemingly apropos of nothing. What am I missing?

I feel like every woman I've seen playing this game... Are actually dudes

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Lladre posted:

This guy gets it.

I spite-rewatched all those multiple streams to show him what's what :smuggo:

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

TheAgent posted:

see below

interview here

I've posted about this before, but roberts really believes this will be a billion+, not million, dollar franchise

He's got a "gut feeling" guys! That means everything will be a-okay. Pledge now! Cash only!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TheAgent posted:

see below

interview here

As well he might, seeing as he's sold it pre-release for $130 million. What would a publisher think about those numbers?

Thread will be great year to come

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

TheAgent posted:

They are using the same logic as Batgirl did, using WOW's subscription history as some kind of bar that they will meet and or exceed.

it is pure lunacy. Wow was a success because it appealed to both casuals and hardcore at PVE as well as PVP with a game that was first and foremost fun. But easy on the PC to run. And easy on the eye.

CiG put out some art that I do actually like. But their game play clips are just hard to look at, the color and lighting is just poo poo.
And well I see no fun in their game. Even Eve Online has more pleasing space than this game.
The learning curve is worse than anything else out there. With controls schemes that are overly complicated for no "fun" return.
It runs on poo poo on even the best most expensive hardware out there.
I would really like to see it run on the min specs they published back in 2013.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I spite-rewatched all those multiple streams to show him what's what :smuggo:

This guy gets it.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

This is great.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/DavidBraben/status/794561309891264512

:gary:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

As well he might, seeing as he's sold it pre-release for $130 million. What would a publisher think about those numbers?

Thread will be great year to come
star citizen is a very unique game to forecast, sales wise

you had a lot of people in at low or sub $100 tiers when the game was first announced

but the majority of cash that's coming in now are from people buying $200 to $1,000+ DLC, for an unreleased game with no real release date, with no timeframe on the DLC and no gameplay to speak of, with little to no discussions of the mechanics of that DLC or core gameplay of the base game

SC is a really interesting study if you're into business at all. it's helped me quite a lot in several ways, from raising the price of services at my company to remembering to treat employees with dignity and respect. there's a whole lot I can get into but it gets all pretty effort and its early and blizzcon is on soon

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Lladre posted:

I would really like to see it run on the min specs they published back in 2013.
there's actually a clip where roberts says SC will run on AMDs onboard graphics

lol

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Big loving surprise you invertebrate.

drluv
Feb 25, 2016

Please do not undercut me in front of the child.

TheAgent posted:

star citizen is a very unique game to forecast, sales wise

you had a lot of people in at low or sub $100 tiers when the game was first announced

but the majority of cash that's coming in now are from people buying $200 to $1,000+ DLC, for an unreleased game with no real release date, with no timeframe on the DLC and no gameplay to speak of, with little to no discussions of the mechanics of that DLC or core gameplay of the base game

SC is a really interesting study if you're into business at all. it's helped me quite a lot in several ways, from raising the price of services at my company to remembering to treat employees with dignity and respect. there's a whole lot I can get into but it gets all pretty effort and its early and blizzcon is on soon

So, your business happens to be... the one which sells all the expensive furniture to CIG? This must be a gold mine!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
hello maam

names justin and I'm here to sell you a coffee machine

not just any coffee machine, mind

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Lazrin posted:

how can it die when it's never coming out?

it's so confusing in here

CIG is making heaven too loving crowded.

crisp roberts
Oct 13, 2016

Lladre posted:

I was watching a video of a guy testing some new fanless/pumpless/noiseless case released just last week.

And the software they ran to heat up the rig was "Crysis 3".

So this star engine is built on the shittiest game ever made that makes your PC heat up like nothing else?
And then they added even more vertices for your rig to handle?

This is gonna be good. (I really hope someone leaks the build after the lawsuits end)

Well, the CryEngine was created to not only fully use current systems but also next gen hardware is sometimes not enough to use it.
That way you ensure that the graphics are state of the art even in the future and it looks really nice.
The downsides are clear: nobody really upgrades their hardware all the time so most people dont get to run it properly.
And the second point is, the flagship game of the engine, crysis 1-3, were really pretty (and the engine ensures pretty screenshots during production for PR ) but lacked gameplay-wise.
So if you had the choice to play a shooter that might not really run on your hardware or the newest cod which will, it´s pretty clear what you buy.
I mean there are reasons why the guys from Crytek have gone bancrupt and their engine is barely used for other games and the people choose to use Unity or Unreal.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Daztek posted:

What about 2.6

2.6 is coming this year.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

ManofManyAliases posted:

2.6 is coming this year.

:eyepop:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ManofManyAliases posted:

2.6 is coming this year.

Bookmarking this page so I can requote it in a few months.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

ManofManyAliases posted:

2.6 is coming this year.

Oh, I'm sure it is.

What features will it have. Please describe them in detail.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

trucutru posted:

Big loving surprise you invertebrate.

Let's insult when we don't get our way.

ManofManyAliases fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 4, 2016

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

ManofManyAliases posted:

2.6 is coming this year.

Will it have a decent implementation of Star Marine?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

alphabettitouretti posted:

The Star Citizen design mantra is "more pointy bits". You may think you've got a nice jpeg, but it's not CIG standard until you've covered it in superfluous pointy bits.

Could handwave this by saying the missiles are designed to be used in both vacuum and atmosphere. But then how would you sell people different missiles for real money? That is not the CIG way.

Star Citizen's mantra is "make it like ww2 but in space. And future-y"

Insider sources claim that, during design meetings, Chris will sometimes spitball ideas after having consulted a book about a Jane(?) And her aircraft/weapons 194X - 194X. If he wants to add futuristic stuff,he delves deep into the 195X or even the 196X titles!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

2.6 is coming this year.

I really doubt we'll see Star Marine in 2016, they released 2.0 as a broken mess though and 2.5 is still a broken mess, so I hope I'm wrong just for the comedy of watching the reaction to it.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Daztek posted:

Will it have a decent implementation of Star Marine?

I think there are a couple of maps. One of them has tighter spaces than the other.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

ManofManyAliases posted:

2.6 is coming this year.

If you redefine year as Pluto's, sure.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

AP posted:

I really doubt we'll see Star Marine in 2016, they released 2.0 as a broken mess though and 2.5 is still a broken mess, so I hope I'm wrong just for the comedy of watching the reaction to it.

If I'm wrong, nothing changes: you lot still mock me and whatnot. If I'm right, we get to play SM for the holidays. Ok.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

I think there are a couple of maps. One of them has tighter spaces than the other.

AKA cavity wall insulation.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

ManofManyAliases posted:

duck and move

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

If I'm wrong, nothing changes: you lot still mock me and whatnot. If I'm right, we get to play SM for the holidays. Ok.

Mocking you isn't the whole point, your knowledgeable source told you 2.6 & Star Marine would be in 2016, right?

bill_murray
Apr 27, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Star Citizen's mantra is "make it like ww2 but in space. And future-y"

Insider sources claim that, during design meetings, Chris will sometimes spitball ideas after having consulted a book about a Jane(?) And her aircraft/weapons 194X - 194X. If he wants to add futuristic stuff,he delves deep into the 195X or even the 196X titles!

I want more insider sources... I love hearing about Chris's dumbass ideas.

I feel like he just copies from everybody/everything, tweaks it a bit and plops it on a plate... "I made this"

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

TheAgent posted:

there's actually a clip where roberts says SC screensaver will run on AMDs onboard graphics

lol

FTFY now it is more believable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bill_murray
Apr 27, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

Nice and vague

• Locked thread