Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

JoelJoel posted:

I liked the part how after he was on the ground everyone got in on the fun and blasted a couple hundred more rounds at him.

That's exactly how it is all the time.

Soulex has a new favorite as of 08:46 on Nov 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

JoelJoel posted:

I liked the part how after he was on the ground everyone got in on the fun and blasted a couple hundred more rounds at him.

I think they kept shooting him as he was driving away in the ambulance. Then pumped a couple of dozen more into him at the hospital.

They will probably interrupt the funeral with a few more rounds too

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Considering what a loving psycho Vance was I don't blame them at all.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

spog posted:

I think they kept shooting him as he was driving away in the ambulance. Then pumped a couple of dozen more into him at the hospital.

Made me think of this.

Gentlemen, May I interest you in the Replay feature?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

More seriously, in the darkness and under the glare of all the vehicle lights they may have had difficulty seeing that he wasn't moving and just kept firing.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

spog posted:

im a driver in an unseen oncoming car who was killed in crossfire

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I'm the logic behind high speed chases.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

JoelJoel posted:

I'm the logic behind high speed chases.

In this case I think it was more appropriate than normal. The guy had murdered two family members, nearly killed a woman to steal her car, and had shot 3 police officers with an AK in the buildup to this video. This video picks up when he smashed through a roadblock (shooting as he did so). The guy was on a crazy killing spree.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

E: ignore me. Totally not the thread for this.

Instead let's admire this huge, jacked man.

http://i.imgur.com/ZV7LvBmh.jpg

Cocaine Bear has a new favorite as of 21:23 on Nov 3, 2016

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

In this case I think it was more appropriate than normal. The guy had murdered two family members, nearly killed a woman to steal her car, and had shot 3 police officers with an AK in the buildup to this video. This video picks up when he smashed through a roadblock (shooting as he did so). The guy was on a crazy killing spree.

They should've promoted him!

e: Oh you meant the guy that was being chased?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I imagine they probably had the road blocked off at some point ahead of where he was going, so there wasn't going to be some poor sap coming the other way getting lit up by the police.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
He also semi decapitated the 2 family members he killed

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Look, I'm generally very anti police brutality because obviously, but it seems pretty clear this guy did not give a gently caress, and fully intended to keep on killing his way across the country. Not only was he the definition of "armed and dangerous", but extremely willing to use his weapons, on anyone in his way.

So I feel like you can argue against a militarized police force all day (and probably should, although you'd need to really do something about your gun problems) but I don't see how they could have dealt with this guy any differently.

Back road, presumably a roadblock ahead and chopper support to let them know about any incoming traffic, they had to take him down - by any means necessary - before he got somewhere populated, which would give him more targets and possibly hostages, with more people in the line of fire. There is no less than lethal option in that situation.

The only critiscism you can level at the cops in the video is they kept firing after he was down. For a while, actually. But to be fair, they're cops, not soldiers, and they have just been in a pretty big and extremely stressful shootout with a murderer who they know has zero problem with killing police officers. Once he was down, in the dark with flashing lights everywhere, who among you would want to be the guy who walked up to arrest the wounded maniac, not see him pull another gun in the shadows and get shot in the face for your trouble?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

It's built up adrenaline and poo poo. People don't realize that your first reaction in a firefight isn't to duck down and return fire if it's your first one. You typically think or say "is this dude shooting at me?" Then confirmation. "This dude is loving shooting at me." Then retaliation. " I can't believe this mother fucker is shooting at me!"

Then the brain starts working.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Jesus goddamn christ, Goons.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

blarzgh posted:

Jesus goddamn christ, Goons.

Well at least I reacted like that. I didn't murdergasm like they did.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
I've shot a lot of people

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Once the dude's (quite justifiably, in this case) killed, does it really matter if the cops keep shooting the corpse? Not defending it, just throwing it out there. Though since cops are trained to "shoot until the bad guy stops moving", maybe they were confused by his body jiggling from the bullet impacts, and it became a feedback loop?

Also, more on-topic, it took a lot of rounds from that rifle with a bigass scope out the window to stop him. Movies and (watching other people play) videogames have lied to me (I'm somewhat worse than that with the shooting-while-driving bits of GTAV).

But the original shooting WAS pretty badass, the guy fired a rifle inside a car, presumably without earpro, to take down a murdering rear end in a top hat. And, if you're of the karmic sort, got his comeuppance for shooting a guy -- this is basically his life from now on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tekhh7Iy-sM

(otoh, yeah, he's probably going to retire with a fat disability pension.)

And, on a tangent: does Oklahoma issue scopes to their State Troopers, or is that the guy's personal weapon? Every police-issue AR I've seen was like an A2, with the carry handle and iron sights.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Delivery McGee posted:

Once the dude's (quite justifiably, in this case) killed, does it really matter if the cops keep shooting the corpse? Not defending it, just throwing it out there. Though since cops are trained to "shoot until the bad guy stops moving", maybe they were confused by his body jiggling from the bullet impacts, and it became a feedback loop?

Also, more on-topic, it took a lot of rounds from that rifle with a bigass scope out the window to stop him. Movies and (watching other people play) videogames have lied to me (I'm somewhat worse than that with the shooting-while-driving bits of GTAV).

But the original shooting WAS pretty badass, the guy fired a rifle inside a car, presumably without earpro, to take down a murdering rear end in a top hat. And, if you're of the karmic sort, got his comeuppance for shooting a guy -- this is basically his life from now on:

(otoh, yeah, he's probably going to retire with a fat disability pension.)

And, on a tangent: does Oklahoma issue scopes to their State Troopers, or is that the guy's personal weapon? Every police-issue AR I've seen was like an A2, with the carry handle and iron sights.

No. I am not a lawyer but I do know that the Geneva Convention essentially states you can't use excessive force. Like a .50 cal is not allowed to be fired at a person with the intention of killing them unless you are trying to disable the equipment they carry.

However the real reason are the rules of engagement or escalation of force. You essentially stop as soon as the threat has been halted. You give plenty of warnings before, not after.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Delivery McGee posted:

Totally the place for this question. What do you think about gun control? Any thoughts on circumcision?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

JoelJoel posted:

Totally the place for this question. What do you think about gun control? Any thoughts on circumcision?

Silent Hill has a lot to say about circumcision

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Soulex posted:

No. I am not a lawyer but I do know that the Geneva Convention essentially states you can't use excessive force. Like a .50 cal is not allowed to be fired at a person with the intention of killing them unless you are trying to disable the equipment they carry.

However the real reason are the rules of engagement or escalation of force. You essentially stop as soon as the threat has been halted. You give plenty of warnings before, not after.

Geneva convention doesn't apply to police as far as I know. It governs what soldiers can and can't do to each other and to civilians, not what civilians do to each other.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Soulex posted:

Silent Hill has a lot to say about circumcision

More like Silent Plateau really.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You can shoot someone with a .50 cal in the military. That "aim for his canteen" stuff is an old wives tale. They have .50 cal sniper rifles and everything.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Soulex posted:

Geneva convention is for prisoners of war. The Hague conventions covered the use of weapons(among other things). You can totally waste people with a .50 cal and no one will charge you with a war crime.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK has a new favorite as of 03:04 on Nov 4, 2016

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Geneva convention is for prisoners of war. The Hague conventions covered the use of weapons(among other things). You can totally waste people with a .50 cal and no one will bat an eye.

Wow, that shits weird. I always thought that it was due in part to the SOFA. We were essentially told to turn ours in and replace with SAW. Then again, it's not like we were banging down doors so, I just went with what I was told as a private.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

Soulex posted:

I.........I didn't know there were truly people dumb enough to believe this. Good lord.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

50 cal is the line where "small arms" ends. So that statement is misleading.

Its like a law in Iowa that says don't tie pets to fire hydrants and it ends up on a list of "50 weird laws: can't tie your giraffe to a hydrant in Iowa."

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

lilspooky posted:

I.........I didn't know there were truly people dumb enough to believe this. Good lord.

Yup, because you've never been wrong and an adult.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Cover my Eyes
Mar 31, 2011

Why would you put ketchup on a perfectly good sandwich?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Cover my Eyes posted:

Why would you put ketchup on a perfectly good sandwich?

This got a giggle out of me

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
besides, war crime tribunals only apply to the losers

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Soulex posted:

Wow, that shits weird. I always thought that it was due in part to the SOFA. We were essentially told to turn ours in and replace with SAW. Then again, it's not like we were banging down doors so, I just went with what I was told as a private.

The actual reason you got SAWs was that M2s are heavy, huge, and have expensive ammo. All sorts of weird rumors circulated within the military because theyve never really been good at communication.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Bombadilillo posted:

50 cal is the line where "small arms" ends. So that statement is misleading.

Its like a law in Iowa that says don't tie pets to fire hydrants and it ends up on a list of "50 weird laws: can't tie your giraffe to a hydrant in Iowa."

https://www.mca-marines.org/gazette/killing-myth

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So long as a nation doesn't dump chlorine gas from a hot air balloon everything will be ok.

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013

Delivery McGee posted:

Looks like a Aimpoint style red dot scope (non magnified) to me.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Honestly for a dude that dangerous who in their right mind is going to take any chances that he may still have enough life left in him to hurt you back. I'm almost more surprised the police didn't reload and keep shooting until they were out of ammo (I would have). Its notoriously hard to assess how incapacitated an assailant is from bullet wounds (short of a decapitating headshot), doubly so at night with blinding lights in your face.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Delivery McGee posted:

The police spokesman on the matter did confirm that everyone involved suffered permanent hearing damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

chitoryu12 posted:

The police spokesman on the matter did confirm that everyone involved suffered permanent hearing damage.

Cripes is there anything louder than that AR. Shooting one at the range with plugs and earmuffs still leaves them ringing when I leave. I can only imagine it hurt his ears for the first 1 or 2 shots (after which it was plenty quiet).