Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Roberts need to hire Ryan Archer again and put SC logos on every CoD:IW map

then they can show it to the spergs as a sneak peek

space panda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

ManofManyAliases posted:

If I'm right, we get to play SM for the holidays. Ok.

Why the gently caress would anyone want to do that. Have you even played what they've shoved out so far?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Star Citizen's mantra is "make it like ww2 but in space. And future-y"

Insider sources claim that, during design meetings, Chris will sometimes spitball ideas after having consulted a book about a Jane(?) And her aircraft/weapons 194X - 194X. If he wants to add futuristic stuff,he delves deep into the 195X or even the 196X titles!

Star Citizen's artistic inspiration in the equivalent of that retarded 1950s space diner from the Star War prequels.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

ManofManyAliases posted:

Let's insult when we don't get our way.

But we are getting our way. This isn't a life or death struggle; we're just here to laugh. Did you forget that you, Lazrin and Mr Smart are the only ones taking this seriously?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

orcinus posted:

Risk analyst.

Yeah - in my old line of work, those guys were usually chemical engineers. They used to ask for facilities to be protected against the likelihood that a tank would rupture at the exact moment lightning would strike, which seems to me like a very B'Tak concern.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ManofManyAliases posted:

Let's insult when we don't get our way.

Lol. As if I expected to get my way when dealing with your rear end. List the features 2.6 will have you spineless weasel.

We do know that CIG will release something called 2.6, but will it be the actual 2.6 or a renamed 2.5.x?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ManofManyAliases posted:

I think there are a couple of maps. One of them has tighter spaces than the other.

Wow! Such detail. Would it be fair to guess that one of the maps has brighter lighting than the other?

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
they have guns!! - moma

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TheAgent posted:

star citizen is a very unique game to forecast, sales wise

you had a lot of people in at low or sub $100 tiers when the game was first announced

but the majority of cash that's coming in now are from people buying $200 to $1,000+ DLC, for an unreleased game with no real release date, with no timeframe on the DLC and no gameplay to speak of, with little to no discussions of the mechanics of that DLC or core gameplay of the base game

SC is a really interesting study if you're into business at all. it's helped me quite a lot in several ways, from raising the price of services at my company to remembering to treat employees with dignity and respect. there's a whole lot I can get into but it gets all pretty effort and its early and blizzcon is on soon

Oh sure, it's amazing - it's got everything.

the great war against greedy publishers, in which using every single dirty scalpel in the triple A and f2p toolboxes is justified
the weird decline and fall narrative of a Roman Empire built on welfare checks and almost impossibly boring escapism
crazy internet idiots who are only able to control their disappointment by channeling it into rage at spectators and a halfway imagined opposition
a power drunk, incurably mad warlord and his ilk

I just love it

bill_murray
Apr 27, 2016
When does reverse the verse come on? I need something to watch... Slow at work today

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

a whole buncha crows posted:

they have guns!! - moma

Stop spreading FUD you're making B'tak cry

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Sunswipe posted:

"Can't" or "oval office"?

Can't we have both?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

This game can't die until they release SQ42. If I were crobbers trying to extend the scam I would delay SQ42 for as long as possible. The money will largely dry up when they are trying to sell a wet turd of a game instead of dreams.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

AP posted:

Mocking you isn't the whole point, your knowledgeable source told you 2.6 & Star Marine would be in 2016, right?

I have heard that it will be - yes.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

ManofManyAliases posted:

You heard it here first folks. A true leak, straight from Chris Roberts' mouth. Must be true!

Alert your parents that you love them and pette buns.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

Same source that gave you your CitCon predictions?

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Same source that gave you your CitCon predictions?

:cawg:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Jason Sextro posted:

Yeah - in my old line of work, those guys were usually chemical engineers. They used to ask for facilities to be protected against the likelihood that a tank would rupture at the exact moment lightning would strike, which seems to me like a very B'Tak concern.

It's srs bzns, tho.
I had some risk analysis and risk assessment training for my degree, it's a nifty field.

And it essentially makes up 50% of nuclear power industry.
When an NPP undergoes an upgrade in capacity, the main part of it (on the nuclear side of things) is a new risk analysis, based on a new, better and more accurate model of the plant. This, in turn, allows stricter, tighter margins, which in turns allows you to design a new fuel cycle around those tighter margins, which in turns allows you to output more power.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Star Citizen: Even Eve Online has more pleasing space than this game.

Also MoMA if you think 2.6 is out by the end of the year, does that mean whatever piping hot tripe they label 2.6, or the actual promised by Roberts Himself, 2.6?

Inquiring minds want to know!

CIG will always be CIG's worst enemy.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Raskolnikov posted:

Also MoMA if you think 2.6 is out by the end of the year, does that mean whatever piping hot tripe they label 2.6, or the actual promised by Roberts Himself, 2.6?

they will release 2.6 to the evocatti and let it simmer there for many months and if people are to ask if they had released 2.6 in 2016 they can answer YES

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Raskolnikov posted:

That I don't know.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

I love how this clip is supposed to be indicative of how the AI and animations are progressing 'well'. The first half is a massive clusterfuck at the top with the character models blindly stumbling into each other. One of them gets hung up the the edge of the table for a few walk cycles, another gives up on his pathfinding and just clips through the guy blocking him. Then all the commandos sit down using the exact same animation despite the fact that this causes ones head to clip through the others.

It doesn't even make any sense. If these are AI driven then why aren't they just heading for the first vacant chair and avoiding the whole bumping into each other bit altogether? Yet again their dedication to 'fidelity' has produced something completely unnatural looking.

I wouldn't have submitted this when I did an 'introduction to animation' course back in school, yet it's apparently the best a company with $130m has to show after 5 years.

Keep doing what you're doing CIG!

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

ManofManyAliases posted:

That I don't know.

Look deep into your heart buddy. Which do you think it'll be?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

Ok.

CIG is a company that has tagged some backers as concierge (over $1000 spent) with private email distribution lists, private chat channels and private forums, same for subscribers who pay them $10 or $20 a month. They also have a history of private email conversations with concierge backers, plus obviously support tickets. As they'd probably tag me as a snowflake I don't get to see any of that and they do "spin" those channels, we've seen this before with things like the "garage door opener".

There could be many reasons why someone would give you inside information and you don't want to say, that's fine. It could be you are part of a special group, we know you are concierge, maybe you have a friend that works there, maybe you just are internet friends with someone.

What we can judge is the accuracy of what they say, so thanks for that. What we can also do is reflect that a secret source you can't mention carries more believably that the chairman of a 130+ million dollar company standing on a stage and telling everyone 2.6 & 3.0 would be out this year. That's where we are with Star Citizen and release estimates.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I believe in the idea that 2.6 will be out by the end of the year, it's plausible to me that they closed down the discord to allow for evocati chat.

I also believe that the reason it's taken them so long to talk about it is because they had to choose between releasing a real stinker now or waiting until next year, and they've ultimately chosen the former over the latter.

This is an absolute damned if you do damned if you don't situation. Many of the backers are now committed to the idea that CIG doesn't put out garbage to appease the impatient fanbase, so the complete lack of quality for this release will start a whole new round of dissonance within the community. Because of how long it took them to put it out the door, they are also now going to have to contend with comparisons to the just released Infinite Warfare.

On the other hand not releasing anything for the rest of the year probably would have been even worse for them in the short term.

Long term they are completely and irrevocably hosed, regardless of what they do.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Wrecked Angle posted:

I wouldn't have submitted this when I did an 'introduction to animation' course back in school, yet it's apparently the best a company with $130m has to show after 5 years.
:same:

Seriously, I would have been marked down to a B- or a C if the rest of the work was top notch.

I am the ice skating commandos snapping into their fidelity animations!

edit: to be fair they probably had less than two weeks to shift over from one "top priority" to another.

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 4, 2016

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

EminusSleepus posted:

they will release 2.6 to the evocatti and let it simmer there for many months and if people are to ask if they had released 2.6 in 2016 they can answer YES

As if! They'll release a version called 2.6 without star marine and say SM is part of 2.6.1.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I believe in the idea that 2.6 will be out by the end of the year, it's plausible to me that they closed down the discord to allow for evocati chat.

I also believe that the reason it's taken them so long to talk about it is because they had to choose between releasing a real stinker now or waiting until next year, and they've ultimately chosen the former over the latter.

This is an absolute damned if you do damned if you don't situation. Many of the backers are now committed to the idea that CIG doesn't put out garbage to appease the impatient fanbase, so the complete lack of quality for this release will start a whole new round of dissonance within the community. Because of how long it took them to put it out the door, they are also now going to have to contend with comparisons to the just released Infinite Warfare.

On the other hand not releasing anything for the rest of the year probably would have been even worse for them in the short term.

Long term they are completely and irrevocably hosed, regardless of what they do.

Yes, this is what I think too, however it is worth pointing out that although they might well decide to release Star Marine in a terrible and broken state, as the lesser of two evils, their own incredible levels of incompetence may delay it into 2017.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

I've never gotten the whole "Boy will the doubters feel dumb when the game releases" sentiment. If Star Citizen somehow does release and somehow was absolutely amazing, I'd just go out and buy a copy. And you know what, I would still mock everyone who spent thousands of dollars buying pretend space ships.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Chalks posted:

Bookmarking this page so I can requote it in a few months.

A few? You got one more after this current one.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Viscous Soda posted:

I've never gotten the whole "Boy will the doubters feel dumb when the game releases" sentiment. If Star Citizen somehow does release and somehow was absolutely amazing, I'd just go out and buy a copy. And you know what, I would still mock everyone who spent thousands of dollars buying pretend space ships.

And then we would both grief them in game because CIG did no actual play testing (nor would they listen to goon feedback if they did!) of their product so goons would find about a million ways to make the average Citizen suffer.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Raskolnikov posted:

And then we would both grief them in game because CIG did no actual play testing (nor would they listen to goon feedback if they did!) of their product so goons would find about a million ways to make the average Citizen suffer.

I would make it my off-work life mission to troll some idiot nerd who spent $40k into hating his dumb stupid game and all his expensive poo poo

Seriously, things like that make me sad Star Citizen will never happen

bill_murray
Apr 27, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I would make it my off-work life mission to troll some idiot nerd who spent $40k into hating his dumb stupid game and all his expensive poo poo

Seriously, things like that make me sad Star Citizen will never happen

Totally, absolutely agree. This might be entirely possible with that "2 week rebuild time window".

Edit: if it ever comes out that is.

bill_murray fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 4, 2016

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Viscous Soda posted:

these are the people who wrap up their whole identity into being smug on the internet, so being wrong basically destroys the entire identity they've constructed for themselves

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Raskolnikov posted:

I'm pretty sure suffering is the only gameplay planned.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

^^^ it seems poetic that PGabs is pointing the way. ^^^

Jason Sextro posted:

these are the people who wrap up their whole identity into being smug on the internet, so being wrong basically destroys the entire identity they've constructed for themselves

b-bu- but my ego! Give it back evil goonie!

*furious posts on twitter*

Heh :smug:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

How much does it pay to be mocapped mopping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

please be unironic

• Locked thread