Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I met Sie during both of my Alpha Protocol playthroughs and I don't remember doing anything out of the ordinary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Phlegmish posted:

I met Sie during both of my Alpha Protocol playthroughs and I don't remember doing anything out of the ordinary.

The mission where she first appears is optional. If you don't talk to her at the start of that mission she doesn't show up anywhere else in the game.

edit: At least, it's optional if I'm remembering right. There's some way to remove it from the list so you don't have to do it, by obtaining the intel you get from it elsewhere and rendering it redundant or something like that. Which you can do by accident, like I did.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 18:20 on Nov 4, 2016

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Aren't a lot of the missions in AP optional? It's been a while but IIRC the game gave you like 4 missions and after doing any 3 you unlocked the next big mission that was mandatory.
One of my favorite things in AP is that generally you do one hub completely before moving on to the next, but if you did a few in each hub you got a different experience because you could really utilize the friend/enemies/intel you got on the way.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I forgot how lovely the Isabela fight in Dead Rising is. It's literally a check to see if you have two or three shotguns because she's on a motorcycle, literally never stops, and most weapons can't track or you can't aim accurately against it. If not you get to restart the game, unless you beat an unmentioned psychopath to unlock the hunting store.

CJacobs posted:

SIE. I went my entire first playthrough without even knowing she existed, because you never meet her if you don't do the missions in Moscow in the order the game lists them.

edit: beaten :argh:

Oh, weird, I've always seen her. Though not very much.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hel posted:

Aren't a lot of the missions in AP optional? It's been a while but IIRC the game gave you like 4 missions and after doing any 3 you unlocked the next big mission that was mandatory.
One of my favorite things in AP is that generally you do one hub completely before moving on to the next, but if you did a few in each hub you got a different experience because you could really utilize the friend/enemies/intel you got on the way.

Going to Taipei and meeting Stephen Heck before you fight Brayko lets you poison his cocaine, for example.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

rodbeard posted:

At the same time?

finally got some use out of that time tumbler again.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Dark Souls 3 DLC

the optional boss feels like a retread, moreso than other boss fights that were openly calling back past fights. I liked the fight but I felt there could have been something else that would have better fit the painted world theme.

and once again, giant crabs prove to be the toughest fuckers in the game.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Action Tortoise posted:

Dark Souls 3 DLC

the optional boss feels like a retread, moreso than other boss fights that were openly calling back past fights. I liked the fight but I felt there could have been something else that would have better fit the painted world theme.

and once again, giant crabs prove to be the toughest fuckers in the game.

I said it before, but I feel like that's the biggest problem with the DLC as a whole. Very little of it fits the theme. We have the rot, the corvians want things to burn and end but freide and the giant bird man don't. But what do flies, tree monsters and wolves have to do with any of this?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Nuebot posted:

I said it before, but I feel like that's the biggest problem with the DLC as a whole. Very little of it fits the theme. We have the rot, the corvians want things to burn and end but freide and the giant bird man don't. But what do flies, tree monsters and wolves have to do with any of this?

According to my Google feed Bloodborne

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Action Tortoise posted:

Dark Souls 3 DLC

the optional boss feels like a retread,

Isn't that just ds3 in general though? its like a greatest hits album

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Goofballs posted:

A greatest hits album that conspicuously skips over part of the discography.

My thing dragging DS3 down: Not enough DS2. Also a bunch of other things, it's honestly my least favorite Dark Souls, but since DS2 is my favorite Dark Souls I'm mad about it being avoided.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Maybe Alpha Protocol had spotty gameplay, but I liked how pressing the door open button causes Mike to open it carefully and quietly, but if you press it a second time he busts it open much faster and more loudly. Being able to double-tap doors open when you're in a hurry was great.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
The bosses in Odallus have become progressively less fun, and it's not because they're challenging, it's because there's annoying bullshit to deal with. The weird face-orb on Devil's Peak was the beginning of it, because you had to deal with annoying wind physics in the second half (in addition to there being far too much time in between vulnerable phases). The wall-face in the Underground Temple wasn't even difficult, it was just a test of how well you can feather the jump button. The miniboss in the Frozen Mines is really testing my patience. It's basically Chill Penguin from Mega Man X, except with substantially less room and you can't touch the walls. Oh, and there's ice physics to deal with. And the boss gets a shield that hurts you if you go near him. Projectile attacks are limited and aren't replenished when you die. It's a shame, I was really liking the game, and then all the clichéd annoying bullshit started getting trotted out.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

When enemies die in sublevel zero they drift away for a moment before exploding. However the length of time before they explode seems to be random, and ranges from about 2 seconds to pretty much instantly. This is a problem because 1. The explosions hurt you, and 2. Unlocking one of the ships requires ramming a total of 150 enemies to death. And they don't travel almost any distance when you ram them. So ramming stuff is extremely likely to get you hurt, even if you kill them without taking a single shot from them.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Dishonored

I remember really early on getting to these two gaurds with a door behind them. I killed one of the gaurds and then was spotted while running away and was killed by him in the next room. After the game loaded the checkpoint it put me past the two gaurds in the room I had run to. After this my actions felt so incosiquential I just didn't want to play it anymore. I understand it could have and most likely was a fluke, but I couldn't bring myself to finish it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That is a very crappy reason to not finish an excellent game :geno:

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

CJacobs posted:

I mean yeah, there may have been other reasons. It was like a few weeks after it launched so it was a long time ago, and I was playing it at my parents house while on a break from college. My brother had bought it and finished it, so I didn't really feel any obligation to finish it because I didn't pay for it. After hearing about some of the story beats later on I was kinda miffed that I never stuck it out.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Yeah, but he was talking about dishonored.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

rodbeard posted:

Mods???

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

rodbeard posted:

:vince:

Factorio: Oh god my mind is going blank trying to plan out my factorios oh god help

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Goofballs posted:

even the story of the game overall admits that it's a retread. trying to capture the magic of the first game over and over again brings diminishing returns, i.e. ashes seek embers.

Dark Souls 3 feels like a paradox of a game. it's the most accessible game in the series in terms of just picking up momentum and going. the early game feels a lot more compressed here than in Dark Souls 1. it's like Portal 2 in that the first fifteen minutes of the game are Portal 1 tutorial levels to refresh returning players and to train newcomers without losing momentum.

as soon as you get through iudex gundyr, you get the hub, meet the firekeeper, meet the vendor, and meet the blacksmith. any other souls game would have you search for vendors and smiths in the wild, or at least unlock the ability to smith weapons. the world design isn't twisting and turning like Lordran, but branching and some points terminate more abruptly than others. there's maybe like two areas that are hidden off and only one that would require some thinking and backtracking to find.

but as accessible as the game is mechanically, it's overstuffed with lore from past games and not just in a cute nudging way that would safely go over the heads of new players. you return to anor londo and it's meant to be a big deal, but someone going in blind would never feel the impact of that return the way a returning souls player would. farron keep is a better way of implying old lore imo.

it's my favorite game in the series. i haven't touched ds2 yet, and i've only played a few hours of bloodborne, but i like how easy it is to get through the world in this game than the meandering in dark souls. but i can't imagine what it's like going into this game blind.

Nuebot posted:

it's trying to incorporate more viking aesthetics into the game with the snowy setting, but the main plot is incredibly bloodborney and the viking stuff doesn't have enough going on in it besides these are a lost tribe of warriors to be as engaging as the main dlc plot.

the flies are a product of the rot, which is i'm assuming another form of corruption like the abyss or the deep. it's weird that from would wanna bring in another kind of corruption in an already bloated setting but you could argue that the greatwood in the undead settlement is meant to hint at the rot's presence in lothric.

corruption seems to have different flavors based on classical elements. abyss is i'm assuming the purest form of corruption, but the deep comes from the water and rot must come from the earth.

corvians are considered abominations and it seems like painted worlds are their ghettos. freide is from londor and their whole thing is to conquer through deception wherever they go. some of the corvians start following freide and turn on their own kind. i think the flies are either formed from the rot or are attracted to it, since they don't look like they have any connections to the corvians.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Going to Taipei and meeting Stephen Heck before you fight Brayko lets you poison his cocaine, for example.

I know I've said it this before but after two playthroughs I still don't quite understand the plot and how almost everyone in the game is objectively your enemy but still helping you for some reason. I'm sure it serves their interests in most cases, but still.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Phlegmish posted:

I know I've said it this before but after two playthroughs I still don't quite understand the plot and how almost everyone in the game is objectively your enemy but still helping you for some reason. I'm sure it serves their interests in most cases, but still.

Alpha Protocol is at its best in the moment-to-moment and watching your decisions effect things, when you think about the overarching plot or how cartoonish some of the characters are in comparison to the relatively grounded setting or how even by Bond standards some of the sex stuff is kind of creepy a lot of it isn't nearly as strong.

I listened to an interview with Chris Avellone where he basically admitted as much re: the tone and said that if he ever made a spiritual successor to Alpha Protocol he's want it to be an Archer game because of how much better that setting works for spy craziness.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Iirc Avellone said that the plans they'd had for a sequel had involved a more Saints Row like tone and Intel sharing between players like the messages you can leave in Dark Souls.

Phlegmish posted:

If I could be persuaded to admit that Alpha Protocol has a flaw it would be that some fairly crucial plot information is locked behind player choices. This is also a problem with Witcher 2, which makes it more rewarding to replay but also meant I didn't actually get a lot of what was going on until my second time through. Alpha Protocol can get away with it more because it's shorter so replays can be quick.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Dragonball Xenoverse 2 has a gigantic difficulty curve in a certain place. The place i'm talking about is when Cooler and Frieza go super-frieza race on you and their AI is cranked up. Game doesn't even have the decency to play that one death metal song about frieza.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

spit on my clit posted:

Dragonball Xenoverse 2 has a gigantic difficulty curve in a certain place. The place i'm talking about is when Cooler and Frieza go super-frieza race on you and their AI is cranked up. Game doesn't even have the decency to play that one death metal song about frieza.

The first one was bad about that too.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like Enter the Gungeon but the difficulty curve is incredibly annoying. It gets harder, but not in a fun way. Resources get more scarce even though you get more money because you're killing more enemies. They have more health, but the game doesn't give you more guns.

You have to frequently skip the two guaranteed treasure chests because the game wasn't kind enough to give you any keys, or enough money to buy one from the shop. But even then, the ammo for the guns is entirely reliant on an ammo pickup item dropping randomly, which might not happen- and even if it does happen, you'd better pick it up immediately even if you don't need it right now because some rear end in a top hat rat takes it if you spend a couple seconds outside the room.

You can only get more health by beating bosses without taking damage (or a few select random items out of the hundreds that can drop), which makes the game easier when you are already doing good and thus don't need the boost. The list goes on and on, it's like they're trying deliberately to keep you from having fun.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 01:28 on Nov 6, 2016

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

muscles like this! posted:

The first one was bad about that too.

The first one was also really bad about just letting goku vomit out a million kamehamehas at you.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

CJacobs posted:

I like Enter the Gungeon but the difficulty curve is incredibly annoying. It gets harder, but not in a fun way. Resources get more scarce even though you get more money because you're killing more enemies. They have more health, but the game doesn't give you more guns.

You have to frequently skip the two guaranteed treasure chests because the game wasn't kind enough to give you any keys, or enough money to buy one from the shop. But even then, the ammo for the guns is entirely reliant on an ammo pickup item dropping randomly, which might not happen- and even if it does happen, you'd better pick it up immediately even if you don't need it right now because some rear end in a top hat rat takes it if you spend a couple seconds outside the room.

You can only get more health by beating bosses without taking damage (or a few select random items out of the hundreds that can drop), which makes the game easier when you are already doing good and thus don't need the boost. The list goes on and on, it's like they're trying deliberately to keep you from having fun.

Gungeon had a lot of promise but for me it just utterly collapsed because of how loving stingy the game is. When it has all these guns, it should let me loving use them! To make it worse, everything is such a goddamn bullet sponge that you'll chew through all your ammo pretty goddamn fast. There's a good game in there but it's completely buried beneath this annoying bullshit and it's so loving sad.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Nuebot posted:

The first one was also really bad about just letting goku vomit out a million kamehamehas at you.

I like that one mission where after fighting through 3 sets of hard enemies you fight goku, gohan and someone else and they can stunlock you with chain kamehamehas. That's a fun way to end a mission.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Hey, Ubisoft, your paid subscription service for your silly dancing game should probably not come with a risk of hard crashing the console. I'd think you'd have a bit larger QA budget than the publishers of VLR.

E: While I'm admitting to playing it, they want you to use your phone as the controller now and it's uncomfortable as hell.

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 04:41 on Nov 6, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I've been trying out some of the adventure games I've bought but not got around to playing, and one common annoyance in this genre in particular seems to be not bothering to tell you what you're actually supposed to be doing or why. So many of these games involve a lot of just clicking on everything in sight and listening to dialogue you don't care about because the writers just couldn't be bothered giving you a little bit of exposition at the start. If you want me to care about your character's problems, I need to know what those problems are and how they fit into their world.

Case in point, Broken Age. Apparently the protagonist is going to something called the "maidens' feast" and has mixed feelings about it, but I don't know what it is or why I should care. There's a missing knife I'm supposed to find, but no one's given me a reason to actually want to find it. Apparently the protagonist's grandfather hid it. OK? He's got his reasons, I guess. Give me something to engage with here!

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

I'm probably more than halfway through Rise of the Tomb Raider, and after spending yesterday being pissed at multiple sidequests making me run back and forth through an large empty area, I load the game up today to discover a loading screen tip telling me about a sprint button.

Coulda used that info earlier pals

E: VVVVV Well that's hella strange then, I guess I promptly forgot since the first game had no sprint and I've been playing this one with a lot of breaks in between. Maybe you're alright after all, RoTR.

smuh has a new favorite as of 12:51 on Nov 6, 2016

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Um, that's a tutorial message and you sprint to survive it.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Any fight near horses in The Witcher 3 results in very loud frightened horse noises for the entire fight and it's really annoying.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

smuh posted:

I'm probably more than halfway through Rise of the Tomb Raider, and after spending yesterday being pissed at multiple sidequests making me run back and forth through an large empty area, I load the game up today to discover a loading screen tip telling me about a sprint button.

Coulda used that info earlier pals

I beat Resident Evil 4 before I realised that I could sprint by holding the "B" button on my Gamecube's controller.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Reminds me of the players who never learnt that the PipBoy has a built-in light and you have to hold E to continue drinking water in one motion.

The same is in MGSV. You never have to call a helicopter when you're outside a mission, so long as you pass a checkpoint you can just exit from the select screen without losing progress. When replaying a mission you don't need to finish the whole thing again, just do the optional tasks, pass a checkpoint, and abort the mission. This process can shave hours off a playthrough.

Edit: vvvvvvvvv BS2 is my favorite too but I only played the Savior way for the cheevo, really, in my desired playthrrough there isn't any reason to leave any of them alive, bar Grace.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 22:57 on Nov 6, 2016

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
This is more a weird thing than a major annoyance.

I LOVE Bioshock 2. It takes everything the first game did an improves it, story, gunplay, hacking, everything is better. Except for one very weird moment

See, to get the Savior achievement your have to play the game as a good guy. Simple poo poo like don't harvest the Little Sisters is easy. Then there are three major moments

1. Don't kill Grace. This makes a ton of sense. She's pretty much just attacking you based on bad info so killing her is pointless.

2. Don't Kill Stanley. Again, makes sense. He's an evil poo poo, but he's unarmed and cowering.

But here's the weird one. You will meet Gil Alexander. A dude who Sofia pumped full of so much Adam that he became this awful, insane creature that is kept in a tank of water. He left recordings BEGGING to die, hell he tells you how to kill him. Wouldn't the good thing be to end his suffering? He's literally out of his mind and this awful half alive creature. It's so weird.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Gil Alexander choice has bothered people ever since the game came out for the same reason, so you're not alone, don't worry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

CJacobs posted:

The Gil Alexander choice has bothered people ever since the game came out for the same reason, so you're not alone, don't worry.

It just bugs me because otherwise the game rules. You could make a strong argument to Sofia being bolted onto Bioshock's story but she's such an awesome villain that I don't care at all, I much prefer her to Bioshock 1's big bad.