Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That seems to be the approach Telltale is going, yeah, with the caveat that pre-scarring Harvey is pretty timid and hands-off for the most part. Guy is built like a brick loving poo poo house, but he's terrified of actual conflict even if he isn't easily intimidated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

poptart_fairy posted:

Your third thing in particular is something I want to rave about a little.

In this timeline it's heavily implied that Harvey Dent is schizophrenic and bipolar, but this gets played with depending on whether or not you prevent his scarring. While this is a Telltale game and I have no doubt even an "uninjured" Harvey will eventually become mutilated, whether you save him or not significantly changes the reasoning behind why his schizophrenia becomes a full-on mania.

If you save him: He becomes extremely paranoid that he's going to be attacked again, and his split personality preys on that, pushing him towards turning Gotham into a police state and demanding more extreme sentencing for criminals as he settles into his mayoral role. When he discovers Bruce and Selina together he becomes angry and sees it as a betrayal because they could have been planning anything behind his back, and what if Bruce has ties to crime like his parents? What'll happen? He goes absolutely nuts and a genuinely angry person, lashing out indiscriminately.

If you don't save him, he falls into a massive depression and the split personality preys on his "weakness as a man" that he was unable to defend himself, that he thinks he won't be able to protect the city, etc. While Gotham isn't in any danger of becoming a police state, Harvey's split personality will lead to him beating mercenaries to death with his bare hands and almost pride in the fact his face is mutilated. He tries to hide the injury but at the same time becomes increasingly de-sensitised to what other people think, allowing it to bleed through his facial prosthetic and beginning to feel proud about it. When he catches Selina and Bruce together his split personality starts demanding he asserts himself as the man in what he thinks is his and Selina's relationship, attacking out of jealousy.

What surprised me is that absolutely none of this is played for laughs. It's a very tragic portrayal of the condition, helped along by his fantastic voice acting.

Hrm, interesting. I saved him and got the reverse of what you said. It all seemed to work though. There might be more to it?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Telltale: giving answers to the freedom/destiny conondrum

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked what the animated series did, with his split personality only being exacerbated by the attack - "Big Bad Harv" already existed, hell he almost beat Falcone to death, the acid just brought him to the surface.

He also had a third personality as a lethal crime fighter called "The Judge"(who went after Two-Face, of course).

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Leal posted:

Punching a patrol of child soldiers with the rocket fist is extremely therapeutic. No I'm not harming the children Miller, the fist isn't a lethal weapon!

"And now to innocently knock out all these k- oh. Oh no, wrong arm, wrong arm!" More than once I've killed a lot of people because I forgot to switch out from my explosion arm.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

poptart_fairy posted:

Your third thing in particular is something I want to rave about a little.

In this timeline it's heavily implied that Harvey Dent is schizophrenic and bipolar, but this gets played with depending on whether or not you prevent his scarring. While this is a Telltale game and I have no doubt even an "uninjured" Harvey will eventually become mutilated, whether you save him or not significantly changes the reasoning behind why his schizophrenia becomes a full-on mania.

If you save him: He becomes extremely paranoid that he's going to be attacked again, and his split personality preys on that, pushing him towards turning Gotham into a police state and demanding more extreme sentencing for criminals as he settles into his mayoral role. When he discovers Bruce and Selina together he becomes angry and sees it as a betrayal because they could have been planning anything behind his back, and what if Bruce has ties to crime like his parents? What'll happen? He goes absolutely nuts and a genuinely angry person, lashing out indiscriminately.

If you don't save him, he falls into a massive depression and the split personality preys on his "weakness as a man" that he was unable to defend himself, that he thinks he won't be able to protect the city, etc. While Gotham isn't in any danger of becoming a police state, Harvey's split personality will lead to him beating mercenaries to death with his bare hands and almost pride in the fact his face is mutilated. He tries to hide the injury but at the same time becomes increasingly de-sensitised to what other people think, allowing it to bleed through his facial prosthetic and beginning to feel proud about it. When he catches Selina and Bruce together his split personality starts demanding he asserts himself as the man in what he thinks is his and Selina's relationship, attacking out of jealousy.

What surprised me is that absolutely none of this is played for laughs. It's a very tragic portrayal of the condition, helped along by his fantastic voice acting.

I believe that Harvey beating the merc to death is determined by if you help him or Montoya first when the Children launch the attacks on them both. He kills the merc if you help Montoya first, or at least he did in mine and his face wasn't scarred.

As to his reaction when he catches Bruce and Selina, I think that's also determined by more than his face as his reaction seemed more like your second description in my game while, again, being unscarred.

Episode 3 really made me excited for the rest of the episodes because it became clear that Telltale is just gleefully playing with everyone's assumptions with how the Batman mythos is going to play out and it's great

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Polaron posted:

Also, and I feel this is important: no goddamn Joker. That cackling plot vortex is nowhere to be seen so far, thank god.

this alone would sell me on any batman media right now.

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme

Spalec posted:

Bodyslamming, Shooting kids with rubber bullets, doing the 6 million dollar sprint punch, or calling the power of Thor to zap the entire outpost don't count as harming them either.

And the knockout combo is shortened to the last punch in the combo, that makes the whooosh jet noise. Running around and delivering enforced time-outs to misbehaving children is so much fun.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

TheMostFrench posted:

I've been playing Meadow, which is apparently part of a series of games I haven't heard of before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVLoibSwhCQ

It is a pretty relaxing experience, and reminds me of being a child. Flopping around all over the place as a badge cub, while squeaking at things, is adorable.

Is this just the next generation of that stupid furry chatroom, and if so how did they suddenly get the resources to make it look so nice?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Meadow looks nice?

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

rodbeard posted:

Is this just the next generation of that stupid furry chatroom, and if so how did they suddenly get the resources to make it look so nice?

I don't really know, it was only $3 so I figured it was worth checking out.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

rodbeard posted:

Those piles of hot garbage the game is trying to pretend are textures looks "nice" to you?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like it. It looks like the whole game is a big patchwork quilt.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

CJacobs posted:

I like it. It looks like the whole game is a big patchwork quilt.

Do you like it when you can't tell when something is close or far away because there is absolutely no depth of field?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think if you have that problem it's probably more to do with the environment lacking shadows than lacking a depth of field effect. I don't have that problem though so :shrug:

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Yeah I really haven't ever encountered that particular problem with the Shelter series or Meadow.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
it objectively looks like poo poo

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

chernobyl kinsman posted:

It's very visually busy and if you don't like that then you won't like how the game looks, but no, it does not actually

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thanks for setting me straight, I thought I liked the art style and execution but your use of the word "objectively" made me realize these positive feelings didn't exist.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Stuntman posted:

Thanks for setting me straight, I thought I liked the art style and execution but your use of the word "objectively" made me realize these positive feelings didn't exist.

Serves you right! Liking a thing in a game in a thing you like in games thread.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Ayn Rand's "The Graphics Opinion"

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Ayn Rand's "The Graphics Opinion"

Is a man not entitled to the depths of his field?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Evilreaver posted:

No, says the developer who couldn't be bothered to adjust it for the pc port

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

No, says the indie hipster as he creates pixel art

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
No, says the console manufacture, it belongs to us.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I rejected those answers; instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose...meadow.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

gently caress you I was gonna say that. Or at least something witty.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

There's still time!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I doubt it, actually

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Uh... a man chooses, a slave obeys?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Evilreaver posted:

RBA Starblade posted:

No, says the developer who couldn't be bothered to adjust it for the pc port

Strategic Tea posted:

No, says the indie hipster as he creates pixel art

SomeJazzyRat posted:

No, says the console manufacture, it belongs to us.

Just Offscreen posted:

I rejected those answers; instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose...meadow.

:golfclap: you're all made of stars

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

You should probably see a doctor. Or get involved in game design.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
The Meadow Thread: no, your graphics card ain't broke, it's the art style

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Len posted:

I don't remember the Verizon ads at all. I remember people bitching about them but I remember Energizer being the brand of choice for demon killing writers everywhere.

For gameplay reasons, the Energizer batteries last all of maybe 30 seconds before giving out. And then the now-defenseless protagonist gets swarmed by shadow things and dies. It's probably the worst thought out product placement ever.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Finally played Metro 2033 Redux after only ever playing Metro Last Light--lots of little things about that game were great. As far as little things went, I loved the detail that was put into making everything really feel like it was cobbled together, or appropriately consumable, or just requiring constant maintenance overall. A few of the things you were required to do to function in game:
  • Constantly wipe off masks as blood, dirt, or snow started to obscure your vision
  • Constantly replace air filters as their effectiveness wore off
  • Recharge your flashlight's battery as its power began to dim
  • Pump your pneumatic weapons or flamethrowers to keep their pressure up so they functioned properly
In another game these might have been horribly annoying, but in Metro 2033 they're implemented in a way that isn't terribly obtrusive, feels natural, and really adds to the atmosphere--I genuinely feel like a fragile human being scavenging to survive in a horrible post-apocalyptic underground fever dream (the tension turned into some genuine "oh gently caress oh gently caress oh gently caress" moments when I was trying to juggle these things while in the middle of combat). The game already has great atmosphere, but these touches really help to elevate it.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Blind Sally posted:

Finally played Metro 2033 Redux after only ever playing Metro Last Light--lots of little things about that game were great. As far as little things went, I loved the detail that was put into making everything really feel like it was cobbled together, or appropriately consumable, or just requiring constant maintenance overall. A few of the things you were required to do to function in game:
  • Constantly wipe off masks as blood, dirt, or snow started to obscure your vision
  • Constantly replace air filters as their effectiveness wore off
  • Recharge your flashlight's battery as its power began to dim
  • Pump your pneumatic weapons or flamethrowers to keep their pressure up so they functioned properly
In another game these might have been horribly annoying, but in Metro 2033 they're implemented in a way that isn't terribly obtrusive, feels natural, and really adds to the atmosphere--I genuinely feel like a fragile human being scavenging to survive in a horrible post-apocalyptic underground fever dream (the tension turned into some genuine "oh gently caress oh gently caress oh gently caress" moments when I was trying to juggle these things while in the middle of combat). The game already has great atmosphere, but these touches really help to elevate it.

For me it was when I figured out if you are fleet enough, and aware enough, every overland mission save one can be done entirely without firing a single shot. If you know what to look for and how to treat the different species most wont even attack you, and some will help.

Kinda gives you that "One with everything" vibe...though on the other hand shotgunning tunnel trash 10 feet down a set of railway lines is drat satisfying too. Purge the mutants.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I've been playing Day of the Tentacle Remastered (since it was only a dollar a change in this Steam bundle since I already owned all the other games) and I really like the way they integrated the remastered content. You can choose any combination of original and remastered graphics and sound in the options but you can also switch between the original and the remastered versions on the fly.

http://i.imgur.com/aQa3Knd.mp4

The fact that the original has enough fidelity for the remaster to actually just smooth out the pixels instead of giving it a garish new art style like the Money Island remaster helps a lot.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

I've been playing Day of the Tentacle Remastered (since it was only a dollar a change in this Steam bundle since I already owned all the other games) and I really like the way they integrated the remastered content. You can choose any combination of original and remastered graphics and sound in the options but you can also switch between the original and the remastered versions on the fly.

http://i.imgur.com/aQa3Knd.mp4

The fact that the original has enough fidelity for the remaster to actually just smooth out the pixels instead of giving it a garish new art style like the Money Island remaster helps a lot.
I grew up playing the original Lucasarts games on C64 (:corsair:) and apart from the early PC collections on 3.5" floppies, I never played a truly modern remaster until Monkey Island came out on Steam. I still don't like the new art style, but that one lets you switch between versions on the fly, too. (I keep it oldschool. :3:)

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Hirayuki posted:

I grew up playing the original Lucasarts games on C64 (:corsair:) and apart from the early PC collections on 3.5" floppies, I never played a truly modern remaster until Monkey Island came out on Steam. I still don't like the new art style, but that one lets you switch between versions on the fly, too. (I keep it oldschool. :3:)

Yeah, I never actually played the Monkey Island remake mostly because of the graphical style they went with.

:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The switch between old/new styles is definitely way more jarring (to put it mildly) than in Day of the Tentacle, but as you pointed out, DotT already had a new, more cartoony art style that "upconverted" really well.

Man, I should play Monkey Island again...