Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

You consciousness floods back to you in jerks and starts, like a lightbulb flickering in a dark room. They found you, somehow. They pulled you off the street in broad daylight, and now they’re bringing you back to him. Your old, false life was gone now - must have been over a while now, if they found you that easily - and all that remained was what was ahead. They wanted what you had, what you were, and they would take it from you if they had to, but you wouldn’t stop fighting them. You would never, ever, give up.

-o-
But first you needed to get out of this chair. You took in your surroundings with the little light available to you: you were tied to a chair with several long lengths of rope - tight, too. One lightbulb swung lazily above you, illuminating almost nothing; it looked like you were in some sort of supply closet. You smelled salt on the wind - that along with the swaying lightbulb and the gentle rocking you felt implied you were on a boat in transit. Taking you back directly, you supposed. You were alone for now, but you could hear voices, dimly, through the steel walls. Snoring, too.

You had no idea how long you’d been out or how close you were to your destination. Time to go. But how?

1. Untie the Ropes [Difficulty 1]
    The ropes are tight, but you’ve been in worse binds. You chuckle at your own cleverness and try to methodically work your way out of the ropes.
    2. Break Out of the Ropes [Difficulty 2]
    What, rope? They should have used chain or cable. You flex against your bonds.
    3. Call for Help [Difficulty 0]
    You heard people outside - maybe you can call them in and figure out just what the hell is going on.
    4. Blast a Hole in the Wall [Difficulty 3]
    A droplet of condensation slides down your palm. You let it slide down your hand, then grip it between finger and thumb. With a flick, you release the energy trapped within it and blast down the wall.
    5. Hop Out of your Body [Difficulty 3]
    Your body is useless, now. You slide your way out of it, seeking out the snorer just outside.
    6. Sink the Ship [Difficulty 5]
    He wants you, does he? He’ll have to try harder than this. You grip the arms of the chair and send a pulse of energy through the contact points. The ship won’t survive it, but you will.
    7. Write In [Difficulty ?]
    Write anything. A few short sentences at most - I’ll assign it a Difficulty.
---
Because I’m not busy enough, I’m starting a casual CYOA! It might end suddenly or go on hiatus while I work on Fragile Gods of Somewhere at any time, but let’s enjoy it while it lasts, shall we!

Never Ever Give Up has simple mechanics. You begin with 1d6 to roll vs. the Difficulty of your choice. A Difficulty of 3 corresponds to a 3d6 roll, which is summed and compared to your own. You’ll notice that means you can beat a Difficulty 3 with a good roll on a 1d6 (and a bad roll on their 3d6). If you beat the roll, you succeed and gain +1 Momentum. If you fail to beat the roll, you fail and lose all Momentum. If you manage to gain +6 Momentum, you gain a permanent extra 1d6 to work with. Vote on which one you want to win, and I'll do the rolling on Orokos!

And… go!

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Nov 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

PARASITE!!!!

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

Let us flex our way to safety.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Also - I'll try to keep it moving at a good clip. Three people or so agreeing on an action is good enough!

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

go big or go home

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

It's the big time now

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

You don’t even try to get out of the ropes. What’s the point? The body is a shell, anyhow, and you’ve outgrown yours. You focus on the sound of snoring, tethering yourself to its source. You hold your breath, and you feel yourself rising from your seat...

1d6 = 4 vs. 3d6 = 12 [Momentum Lost!]

...and pitch forward, smashing your nose against the steel plated floor. For a terrifying moment, choking on your own blood, you wonder whether you had imagined the events of the past year. With effort, you manage to roll yourself onto your back, and stare up at the swinging light through the pain and tears in your eyes. And then the pain vanishes along with the blood, and your resolve returns.

Well now. The situation has gone from bad to worse. You were still stuck, now with even less range of motion. The snoring had stopped too, replaced by cursing and quickly-approaching footsteps. You have only seconds.
    1.Untie the Ropes [Difficulty 2]
    Well, untying them is going to be much harder now. You think you can manage, with difficulty.
    2.Break Out of the Ropes [Difficulty 2]
    gently caress, you don’t have time for this. You try to muscle your way out.
    3.Hide [Difficulty 1]
    From this vantage point, you can see under the shelves - you think you can fit under them. Kicking yourself over shouldn’t be too hard.
    4.Put out the Light [Difficulty 1]
    Knocking out the light shouldn’t be too tough - it might give you an advantage when your guard comes in.
    5.Set the Room on Fire [Difficulty 2]
    Risky, but there’s a better chance of you surviving it than them. You don’t know a lot about boats, but you’re sure they’re not fond of fire.
    6.Shapeshift into a Mouse [Difficulty 3]
    You could get small really quickly and book it out of here when they open the door. A mouse would work, but there’s no reason it had to be a mouse.
    7.Write In [Difficulty ?]
---
Well done! You fell on your face! In a more dangerous situation, this could have lead to your death - but don't let that stop you from trying!

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 5, 2016

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
7. Try to mentally project Never Gonna Give You Up into the heads of those approaching as a way to confuse and distract our enemies.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

RandomPauI posted:

7. Try to mentally project Never Gonna Give You Up into the heads of those approaching as a way to confuse and distract our enemies.

This is Difficulty 3, incidentally!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Rarely is there a problem that can't be solved with fire. 5.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

The only thing better than fire is goblin fire.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.

RandomPauI posted:

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
7. Make a bunch of noises that sound like dying and then play dead until someone comes to investigate

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
5. Burn, burn, burn to the ground!

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Your eyes flicker in the dim light, burning with an inner glow. Lying on your back, you take a deep, hot breath, and breathe out a cloud of embers. The footsteps are close, now, not much time left. You force all of that pressure deep inside your gut, then let it loose.

1d6 = 4 vs. 2d6 = 7 [Momentum Lost!]

The door slams open and you cough, smoke pouring from between your teeth. Your - now wide awake - guard takes in the situation with a “gently caress!” and sprays the room down with a nearby extinguisher, coating you liberally with the frosty foam. While you roll blinded on the ground, he stomps hard on your belly, driving the wind out of you. “I don’t know what the hell you’re playing at, but we’ve been nice so far. We’ll drag you behind the loving boat if we need to, so smarten the hell up!” He’s bluffing. They need you alive.

He’s certainly not letting you out of his sight now - he sent a terse radio message in a language you didn’t recognize, and then he took up a position in the open doorway, gun trained on your prone, foam-slick body. This could be tricky.
    1.Understand the Message [Difficulty 1]
    You remember the shapes of the words he spoke. You could force them into something you recognize, with an effort of will.
    2.Talk to Him [Difficulty 0]
    At least there’s someone here now. You could ask him a few questions, while you’re lying there. (Which questions?)
    3.Detonate a Bullet [Difficulty 1]
    Working with pre-existing stuff is easier. You could detonate a bullet in his gun - it could scare him and maybe hurt him, and certainly ruin his gun.
    4.Detonate ALL His Bullets [Difficulty 2]
    A little tougher, but it would certainly take him out of comission.
    5.Kill Him [Difficulty 3]
    With him in sight, it’s trivial. You could reach out and snuff him out, wipe him out of existence.
    6.Fake a Radio Transmission [Difficulty 3]
    Send a fake transmission in whatever that language was. (And say what?)
    7.Write In [Difficulty ?]

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 5, 2016

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
2 "Christ! Why am I here in the first place?"

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Grognan posted:

2 "Christ! Why am I hear in the first place?"

For the record, if 2 wins, you'll ask all the questions suggested. Or, uh, many of them, if there's a dogpile on it for some reason.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
2. What do you want with me? Where are you taking me?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
7: Read his mind to learn the language. And what he knows

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

RandomPauI posted:

7: Read his mind to learn the language. And what he knows

This is Difficulty 3, incidentally!

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
2. "WHATS THAT BEHIND YOU ?!

Then jump him.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

You sigh on the floor, craning your neck as far as your bonds will allow to observe your captor. Muscular, serious European type. Assault rifle and pistol, what looks like body armor (jeez, they weren't messing around) and a gentle flickering fear in his eyes. You let your head fall back against the floor and start talking.

quote:

“Christ! Why am I here in the first place?”
Your guard startles, then resumes training his rifle on your head.

“You know why. Anthony wants you back, and he's not used to taking no for an answer. Now shut up.”

You wiggle in your chair on the floor, trying to sidle out of the congealing foam. You keep going.

quote:

“What do you want with me? Where are you taking me?”

You need him distracted, but you also don't want him to shoot you. You keep your face neutral and slightly panicked (not totally an act at this point) and hope he bites.

“For now, we want you to see here and chill the gently caress out - no funny business. When we get to Santorini, you're Anthony's problem. I suspect he'll want more of the same from you… though he'll probably watch you a little better this time!”

Anthony Velascu, small-time crime boss and your former employer. Given his new digs in Greece, it looks like he's moved up in the world. You filed that away for later as your feet touched the metal shelving. You compressed my body in your bonds, rolling your eyes in animal terror and looking over his shoulder.

quote:

"WHATS THAT BEHIND YOU!?”
He stares at you shivering in the floor, for a tense moment unsure of himself - then he chances the slightest of glances behind him. You struck.

1d6 = 6 vs. 0 [Momentum Gained! Momentum at +1!]

You kicked off the heavy shelving unit, sliding on the smooth chair back across the foam and into your guard's legs. He clatters down on top of you, spitting rage like an angry dog. You have one chance to do this right - he was going for his gun, and you doubted you'd survive it if he got there, Anthony or not.

1. Electrocute Him [Difficulty 1]
    Trivial with him in contact with you. You run a current through him until he dies.
    2.Talk to Him [Difficulty 2]
    He won't be happy, but maybe you can get through to him.
    3. Enslave Him[Difficulty 3]
    Order him to stand up and get you out of there. He's yours, now.
    4. Escape [Difficulty 1]
    Slide out of your bonds and book it out of here. You'll still be trapped on the ship, but you'll be out of the room and able to hide.
    5. Read then Wipe His Mind [Difficulty 3]
    Pull everything relevant out of him, then leave him here, empty.
    6. Do Nothing [Difficulty 0]
    Lie here in a tangled pile, but don't do anything else. Maybe laugh a bit. Who knows what will happen?
    7. Write In [Difficulty ?]

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Nov 5, 2016

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Man, I should do something like this too.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
1. Fry his rear end. :science:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

He manages to get a hold of his gun - but you’ve got a hold of him, too. Your heartrate doubles and you feel your muscles start to twitch, building up a furious potential. He can feel it too, and redoubles his effort to put you in his sights, but it’s too late for him; his muscles are twitching involuntarily, and his hair rises from his body. You grin.

1d6+1 = 6 vs. 1d6 = 2 [Momentum Gained! Momentum at +2!]

The light flickers wildly and the lightbulb goes out with a sharp pop. Your nameless guard arcs and flexes involuntarily as steam pours out of him, but you don’t relent until you feel his heart give out entirely. Serves him right! Of course, now you’re lying on your back with dead weight on top of you in the dark. Somehow, still a better situation than before! With a moment’s untrameled effort, you manage to free first one hand, then the rest of you. You pull yourself to your feet wearily, stretching out the last few kinks from your bondage. If there’s one thing you hated, it was being tied down. You caught a glimpse of yourself in a nearby mirror as you were rubbing your wrists and were surprised at how haggard you looked.
    A1. My Handsome Face Smiled Back At Me
    You look tired and stubbly, but you weren’t dead yet. (You’re a guy - describe yourself)
    A2.My Beautiful Face Smiled Back At Me
    You looked tired and frizzy, but I weren’t dead yet. (You’re a girl - describe yourself)
    A3. This Body’s Face Smiled Back At Me
    This body looked a little seasick, but you weren’t dead yet. (It doesn’t matter what you look like, a body is a shell)
Now, onto the next issue. He had made a call on the radio a few moments ago in... Russian? Greek? Whatever it was, it had sounded urgent. Odds were, you could be expecting company any time now. Even if you weren’t, fact was you were on the water, at night, in the middle of one of the largest seas in the world. You had ways of getting out of here, but none as easy as commandeering the boat and making it to land somewhere. On the other hand… maybe it was time to stop running. Maybe this time, Anthony had gone too far. Your relationship had been one of semi-mutual respect (until you tried to leave, anyhow) and this whole kidnapping business was impolite to say the least. Well, one way or another after today he’d remember your name.
    B. What Is Your Name?
    It’s a good name, if you do say so myself. Whether it’s the one you were born with or the one you chose yourself, it’s the one you’ve got.
Alright. It was you against an unknown number of armed assailants on an unknown ship in the middle of the night. Just like old times.
    C1. Hide And Wait [Difficulty 0, -Momentum]
    No sense going out and looking for trouble - it would come here, if you waited long enough.
    C2.Precognate What Will Happen Next [Difficulty 4]
    Look into the future and figure out what’s about to happen. This’ll be a tough one, but you think you can pull it off.
    C3. Raise the Body As A Slave [Difficulty 3]
    No sense wasting good material. You lift his limp body and set it to patrol for his former friends.
    C4. Turn Invisible [Difficulty 2]
    Make yourself tougher to see and go explore the ship.
    C5. Start Breaking poo poo [Difficulty 2]
    That ought to get them coming to see you if they weren’t already. It’ll also shape the battlefield in your favour - body armor was no great help against twisted metal.
    C6. Gotta Go Fast [Difficulty 2]
    Sprint out into the ship, attacking anyone you see at speeds they can hardly comprehend.
    C7. Write In [Difficulty ?]

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 5, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
A3

B: We are Bob, short for Bobzazzazzaret

C4: Invisibility for difficulty 2? A bargain I'd say.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

A3

B: Kal-El, Last Son of A Legally Trademarked Dead Planet

C6 because fast

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
A2. That frizzy hair is long and brown, and the eyes are just as dark. Tallish, slim, with wiry muscles and mocha skin.

B. Nisa. Surnames don't really matter anymore.

C4. Invis it up, baby. Then we can find whatever we need with impunity.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Theantero posted:

A3

B: We are Bob, short for Bobzazzazzaret

C4: Invisibility for difficulty 2? A bargain I'd say.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Invis it is - voting closed. Also going with Nisa because it's a better name and mental image than your other terrible ideas!

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Birthday Oral posted:

Invis it is - voting closed. Also going with Nisa because it's a better name and mental image than your other terrible ideas!

So you finally show your true colours, TYRANT

Also, Nisa is a terrible name for an angry Babylonian ghost

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
How do you know that's not just an assumed name, and she has another, secret name that she tells to no none? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

An all-powerful superhuman by any other name still smells as sweet!

• Locked thread