Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

RabbitWizard posted:

What? What the gently caress??? How mangled is that loving engine? They can't set a flag or whatever for the bench positions that lets the other "AIs" know that someone else is already trying to sit there?

I'm pretty sure I saw functional sitting-down mechanics in Crysis 1. Must be a new feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Backers getting pissed at a sale makes perfect sense. CIG's failures are tolerated because the backers generally believe that they are special and that CIG is different. The community feels connected through their finances and the open development that CIG provides. That the open development is a joke is irrelevant; people are willing to overlook anything to feel like they are part of something.

This sale breaks that myth. It eliminates that connection and puts the backer squarely in the box of being just a consumer. It reinforces the notion that CIG is a lying, profit hungry corporate entity that only cares about what they can get and not what they owe. More importantly it opens up the door for backers to be justifiably angry about how CIG has treated them in the past.

This is going to make the response to NMS look like a celebration.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

Reharakhti posted:

Exclusive SQ42 footage looks great guys

SpaceCatteTax

dam ready for some space ape escape

catte tax

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

that only cares about what they can get and not what they owe.

Right here.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

magnum o' piss

(as in "big ol' piss;" how CRobizzle let all that money run down his leg, and also as in what Shitizens are stuck drinking instead of a liter and a half of Champagne)

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

I guess the best way to protect against the impending downsizing discussion is to draw as much public attention to it as possible and drive backer expectations to be something very positive. Surely CIG won't disappoint all those fans then.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Iglocska posted:

I guess the best way to protect against the impending downsizing discussion is to draw as much public attention to it as possible and drive backer expectations to be something very positive. Surely CIG won't disappoint all those fans then.

Haha was just thinking that. Why on earth would you fly customer service staff of all things halfway across the planet for a goddamn meeting.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CS_gas

"Effects usually include tears streaming from the eyes, profuse coughing, exceptional nasal discharge that is full of mucus, burning in the eyes, eyelids, nose and throat areas, disorientation, dizziness and restricted breathing."

"CS has less effect on animals due to "under-developed tear-ducts and protection by fur""

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I loving love German.

I couldn't live without Schadenfreude & Bavarian Ham.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Looks like they got a 40K bump out of the sale yesterday.

Guess around 300-350 folks were enticed.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

quote:

In two weeks, we will be kicking off our yearly Star Citizen Anniversary Livestream, which celebrates the end of the original Star Citizen crowd funding campaign. The event is going to focus heavily on our ship pipeline, and there will be plenty to see. Tune in or catch it later in this space!

the pipelines....

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Lots of poo poo travels via pipeline too.

Makes you think.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpb1SyDhv5w&t=154s

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

"One possible explanation is the best possible scenario that doesn't involve any problems for the project at all. I choose to believe this one."

Very impressive analysis there.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
November 4th 2016 sees the first time a Citizen uses the term "Star Marine 2" while appearing to be serious.

Star Marine 2, that game mode that comes before Star Marine 1 which was cancelled.

From this point onward, Star Marine will always be referred to as "Star Marine 2".

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpb1SyDhv5w&t=611s

I've figured it out, 2.6 & Star Marine 2 is the ELE.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Raskolnikov posted:

I am getting Journey vibes if Journey was in colorful spacecat land. It looks great!

edit: are you going to monetize every single asset like CIG and Lord British? How can I invest in $50 to $500 dollar sums to show other spacecats I am better than them?

edit2: $10,505,157 Raised 187,548 New Britannians - I see some of that CIG magic rubbed off somewhere along the line.

10 million. For... SotA... I'm going to bed, nope too much.

How can you even compare SotA to SC?

Happy World Toilet day! #toilets4all

How can you be angry with those people? Better costumes than Crobits and Sandrobits could muster up for $130.

Sum Mors fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Nov 5, 2016

Kephael
Apr 2, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Backers getting pissed at a sale makes perfect sense. CIG's failures are tolerated because the backers generally believe that they are special and that CIG is different. The community feels connected through their finances and the open development that CIG provides. That the open development is a joke is irrelevant; people are willing to overlook anything to feel like they are part of something.

This sale breaks that myth. It eliminates that connection and puts the backer squarely in the box of being just a consumer. It reinforces the notion that CIG is a lying, profit hungry corporate entity that only cares about what they can get and not what they owe. More importantly it opens up the door for backers to be justifiably angry about how CIG has treated them in the past.

This is going to make the response to NMS look like a celebration.

What if Star Marine comes out and is somewhat playable?

Who am I kidding? It will be a disaster.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Chris will no doubt write a letter to the community explaining it all away and the fans will go full Stockholm syndrome and prostrate themselves before Chris begging for forgiveness.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

TheLightPurges posted:

I'm struggling to think of another company besides CIG dumb enough to not treat store credit/gift cards as cash.

In fact I'm pretty sure not treating gift cards (dunno about 'melts' but its all the same store credit pool) as cash is straight up illegal.

Accountancy talk ahead.

The last thing you would want to do is treat it as cash. If it's cash then it's not revenue, it's a liability. Prepaid income. Accounting for gift cards is actually a pain.

I think a few years ago Sony or SOE? talked about a similar issue. They were charging a subscription fee and gave everyone some of their fake money each month. People would save up all this fake money and it causes a lot of issues because it is considered comparable to real money you have to provide for it as a liability. I believe they wanted to give their customers double the fake money each month, but not let the customers roll it over and save it up. They had to spend it each month or lose it. SOE wanted to avoid the prepaid income issue entirely. I think in the end though the customer base rebelled because they would rather save up half as much than be forced to spend it each month. Similar theme here about the perceived notion of investment vs expenditure on the part of the customer. I think SOE ended up sucking up the problem in this case?

If you take money for something and do not deliver the product it cannot be considered as revenue on your profit and loss account. The cash you have received creates a liability. You owe the cash to your customer. Once you give them all of the jpgs they think they purchased, you can move the liability to the revenue column. "Engineering debt" is just plain old debt that you owe to your customers in your accounts and must provide for it as such.

This subject is why I am interested to read the revenue recognition policy of the one Crobpany that receives the cash from customers. I would hazard a guess that this may be an issue that is holding up the production of the group accounts because it is a literally impossible task to calculate properly and make the accounts acceptable to look at from a going concern perspective.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Is my memory playing tricks on me, or wasn't it discussed months/year ago that reselling limited ships would be the sign of the end?

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Kephael posted:

Star Marine will be a disaster.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.twitch.tv/twerk17/v/98926050?t=1h15m41s

Twerk17 playing COD IW, talking about SQ42 coming out in 6 or 7 months while trying not to laugh.

AP fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 5, 2016

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

shrach posted:

Accountancy talk ahead.

The last thing you would want to do is treat it as cash. If it's cash then it's not revenue, it's a liability. Prepaid income. Accounting for gift cards is actually a pain.

I think a few years ago Sony or SOE? talked about a similar issue. They were charging a subscription fee and gave everyone some of their fake money each month. People would save up all this fake money and it causes a lot of issues because it is considered comparable to real money you have to provide for it as a liability. I believe they wanted to give their customers double the fake money each month, but not let the customers roll it over and save it up. They had to spend it each month or lose it. SOE wanted to avoid the prepaid income issue entirely. I think in the end though the customer base rebelled because they would rather save up half as much than be forced to spend it each month. Similar theme here about the perceived notion of investment vs expenditure on the part of the customer. I think SOE ended up sucking up the problem in this case?

If you take money for something and do not deliver the product it cannot be considered as revenue on your profit and loss account. The cash you have received creates a liability. You owe the cash to your customer. Once you give them all of the jpgs they think they purchased, you can move the liability to the revenue column. "Engineering debt" is just plain old debt that you owe to your customers in your accounts and must provide for it as such.

This subject is why I am interested to read the revenue recognition policy of the one Crobpany that receives the cash from customers. I would hazard a guess that this may be an issue that is holding up the production of the group accounts because it is a literally impossible task to calculate properly and make the accounts acceptable to look at from a going concern perspective.

I meant as cash from the customer's perspective. But it was an interesting read thanks.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Spergs are feeling a broken snowflake now from being a special snowflake

move to concern tards!

EminusSleepus fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Nov 5, 2016

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Star Citizen: Juicy new caterpillar anyone?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Conspiratiorist posted:

Is my memory playing tricks on me, or wasn't it discussed months/year ago that reselling limited ships would be the sign of the end?

Probably both. Several threadites did say that selling the limited edition ships again would spell doom.

Blood from a stone, etc etc.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

And is that a sound mic hovering about?

Yes, and a camera operator.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

EminusSleepus posted:

Spergs are feeling a broken snowflake now from being a special snowflake

move to concern tards!

Lol.

The sad part is people are still defending CIG's actions vis-à-vis the Khartu-Al

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Lol.

The sad part is people are still defending CIG's actions vis-à-vis the Khartu-Al

defending like this--> A mental gymnastic of a Jedi

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

EminusSleepus posted:

They deserved it.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

EminusSleepus posted:

This guy is by far the stupidest, shilliest of the shills I recognize the avatar. And it says a lot that he sticks out to me from that crowd.

he makes lethality look like Derek smart.

TheLightPurges fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 5, 2016

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Conspiratiorist posted:

Scythe (vanduul alien ship) & Idris M (corvette) they promised not to sell again during the kickstarter. Military grade ships they promised not to sell like the Hornet F7A.

Since then they sold one or two new vanduul ships (we didn't say we wouldn't sell any other vanduul ships), Sold Idris P (It's not an Idris M though you'll be able to change it into one). Idris then became a frigate, recent Polaris is the new corvette which they sold. Superhornet was the new hornet they sold, "better" than the Hornet F7A they said they'd never sell. Vanguard was a combat fighter/bomber thing with military grade equipment they did sell, one of their best sales so they sold it twice with variants.

Funding tricks still left in the bag that will be a sign of the need for a quick buck despite resulting fuss, the F8 lightning, the better replacement combat ship for the Hornet F7A, not sold so far. Javelin $2500 weapons stripped, only sold once so far. 890 Jump $600 luxury space yacht that comes with sauna & a x85 little ship, only sold once so far, they might sell the x85 individually with LTI. Another vanduul or some new alien must have ship. Also the Phoenix, sold twice already but has a hot tub, hot seller.

AP fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 5, 2016

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
Another cool trick is to say this is the strongest fighter then after the ace pilots buy em all release another fighter as the ultimate fighter.

They gently caress up sometimes though and have two "fastest" ships at the same time.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/twerk17/v/98926050?t=1h15m41s

Twerk17 playing COD IW, talking about SQ42 coming out in 6 or 7 months while trying not to laugh.

just lol at the paused frame by frame analysis - "yeah so we can't really compare it to SQ42 yet" *Immediately starts comparing to unreleased SQ42*

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

TheLightPurges posted:

Another cool trick is to say this is the strongest fighter then after the ace pilots buy em all release another fighter as the ultimate fighter.

They gently caress up sometimes though and have two "fastest" ships at the same time.

:lesnick: probably feels disgruntled, he generated so much income with all these ship pictures, paragraphs of bollocks and stats for each. Changing the ships stat page would result in thousands of posts as Citizens freaked out, melted, then bought whatever the new "best" thing now was with the credits.

I guess he'll look at it that it wasn't his job to get all these dreams in an actual game and CIG seem to hold him responsible.

It's gradually sinking in that Star Citizen might be a bit, well, poo poo and at the same time CIG goes, hey idiots, we don't care how many store credits you have, new cash please for the best ship deals.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

Kephael posted:

What if Star Marine comes out and is somewhat playable?

Who am I kidding? It will be a disaster.
They would have successfully transformed a FPS engine into a somewhat playable FPS in five years with $130,000,000.

And you're right even that is asking too much of CIG.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Reminder :lesnick: was the guy that always hyped the ship on sale, the ship on sale was always the best ship. "Anyone calling the space bus whatever the gently caress it's real name is, a space bus is a troll"

:lesnick: is the one who said they'd never restrict gifting, the one who said Wingman wasn't leaving, the one who said LTI wasn't coming back.

:lesnick: is the one who forgot the $225 caterpiller even existed and that they'd sold it in 2012 & 2013.

:lesnick: is the one who said Star Marine was weeks not months away in 2015.

The forums are burning and :lesnick: last posted 4 days ago about a Q/A for Turbulent.

While on twitter

https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/794762136320737280

Something has changed in his role as :lesnick: clearly doesn't give a gently caress anymore.

AP fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 5, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

SelenicMartian posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CS_gas

"Effects usually include tears streaming from the eyes, profuse coughing, exceptional nasal discharge that is full of mucus, burning in the eyes, eyelids, nose and throat areas, disorientation, dizziness and restricted breathing."

"CS has less effect on animals due to "under-developed tear-ducts and protection by fur""

As an added bonus, if you burn it, it turns into a hydrogen cyanide derivative that is far too close to Zyklon B for everyone's comfort… just ask the FBI.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

AP posted:

Scythe (vanduul alien ship) & Idris M (corvette) they promised not to sell again during the kickstarter. Military grade ships they promised not to sell like the Hornet F7A.

Since then they sold one or two new vanduul ships (we didn't say we wouldn't sell any other vanduul ships), Sold Idris P (It's not an Idris M though you'll be able to change it into one). Idris then became a frigate, recent Polaris is the new corvette which they sold. Superhornet was the new hornet they sold, "better" than the Hornet F7A they said they'd never sell. Vanguard was a combat fighter/bomber thing with military grade equipment they did sell, one of their best sales so they sold it twice with variants.

Funding tricks still left in the bag that will be a sign of the need for a quick buck despite resulting fuss, the F8 lightning, the better replacement combat ship for the Hornet F7A, not sold so far. Javelin $2500 weapons stripped, only sold once so far. 890 Jump $600 luxury space yacht that comes with sauna & a x85 little ship, only sold once so far, they might sell the x85 individually with LTI. Another vanduul or some new alien must have ship. Also the Phoenix, sold twice already but has a hot tub, hot seller.

I dont think the 890 Jump have the Sauna only that BangBus ship called Phoenix have it and dont worry the Crobits Gravity generator will never spill the water in it!

• Locked thread