Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Since it's a nostalgia game they should put refs to FF14 1.0 in it.

Except, for as much as I like making GBS threads on FF13 here, that game was objectively terrible.

You shouldn't be able to make an MMO worse than FF11, but they nailed it.

For the start of a new page, I'd like to state that FF13 is real real bad, and I don't know why I'm not using Roman numerals in this post. For some reason I use them interchangeably, like Megaman and Mega Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Woff sold about 100k physical in japan which is pretty drat good for most games there.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

How do you lower a enemies evasion? I just noticed the Master Cactuar's requirement is to lower his and I don't think I've seen anything like that the entire game (that or I haven't noticed)

Werebat can do it with Ultrasonics.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dirge of Cerberus deserves representation more than FF2 so I am glad they have canonically made DoC the new FF2.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

ApplesandOranges posted:

If they make a WoFF 2, I really hope they polish the gameplay at least, like giving us a third stack, or little things like making it easier to level new Mirages.

:confused:

It's pretty easy to level new Mirages - I think anyone with you gets the same amount of XP so just put them in your party (not even your stack) and they level up.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

bilperkins2 posted:

:confused:

It's pretty easy to level new Mirages - I think anyone with you gets the same amount of XP so just put them in your party (not even your stack) and they level up.

I think the game says that they get reduced EXP if not in a stack but they still get enough to get a good amount of levels from level 1 and become usable enough to actually be in a stack after that.

Also there's a WoFF thread now and people are still talking about WoFF here. Organization has failed us.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I think the game says that they get reduced EXP if not in a stack but they still get enough to get a good amount of levels from level 1 and become usable enough to actually be in a stack after that.

Also there's a WoFF thread now and people are still talking about WoFF here. Organization has failed us.

The game says they get 8% which is 1/12 and you can have 12 on your team so I assumed it was distributed evenly. I could be wrong.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I might've just misread or misunderstood what it was saying at that point, then.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
EXP is split between members of the active party still alive at the end of battle, but the remaining mirages in reserve get a flat 8% of the total EXP earned each.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

morallyobjected posted:

I went ahead and made the World of Final Fantasy thread, if anyone's interested.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Now we can focus on more important topics, such as:

How much would FFT's story change if everyone had noses like Doctor Tot's?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Except, for as much as I like making GBS threads on FF13 here, that game was objectively terrible.

You shouldn't be able to make an MMO worse than FF11, but they nailed it.

For the start of a new page, I'd like to state that FF13 is real real bad, and I don't know why I'm not using Roman numerals in this post. For some reason I use them interchangeably, like Megaman and Mega Man.

i never use roman numbers

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the only thing using roman numbers does is make writing about 7 or 8 a chore

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
How is the FF9 steam port?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Tired Moritz posted:

Definitive

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

In Training posted:

It's a final fantasy skinned slot machine like all Japanese mobile games. Avoid

Trust me when I say it's by far the least lovely of the slot machine games. The game is robust enough at this point that you can easily pay nothing and bsar the highest difficulty fights. It's very generous with its premium currency and stats and premium gear matter much less than building a good party.

I basically pay like 2 bucks a week to support the game, but you really need to pay nothing.

I've tried different F2P games on and off and only really FFRK I felt had a lot of love put into the game. They could've made it a lovely stat mashing game but a lot of the boss battles are inventiveand fun.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

It's the best version of the game.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

i have not heard of any issues with it, and the ports ive played on PC (the FF13 series, ff7) all ran really well so i don't think you have to worry

and even if there are problems games like that get modfixes all the time so you should be okay

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Tired Moritz posted:

Incredible. The characters look great and the FMVs are much crisper.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Now we can focus on more important topics, such as:

How much would FFT's story change if everyone had noses like Doctor Tot's?

I assume 50% more puns about noses

if there weren't also a skill called "Nose" that raised accuracy or something for no reason, I'd be incredibly disappointed.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Would that make FFT a story about how a bunch of nosey kids found a religious conspiracy?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I just wanted to let the thread know I haven't regretted going straight into FF Tactics A2 and it's been a lot of fun and I just got to the other continent and I don't know what to do because there are so many goddamn quests holy crap. I've gotten a bit too strong for the main storyline so I need to start sending a B-Team on quests so I can not waste the EXP I get. It's a bit overwhelming, I don't think I'll be able to finish this within two weeks, but it's something to look forward to!

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Tactics A2 is an incredibly charming game, and even excels in certain respects where the original FFT falls behind (like varied quest objectives and significantly more fleshed-out side quest design).

Someday SE will announce a Final Fantasy Tactics 3 and we are gonna raise such a ruckus in our nursing homes, let me tell you.

Edit: That said, if you're the kind of person who has to knock out every optional quest before progressing the main story, around the point where you are is really easy to get burned out, so never be afraid to push through a handful of story missions in a row just to move things along.

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 5, 2016

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Tactics A2 is an incredibly charming game, and even excels in certain respects where the original FFT falls behind (like varied quest objectives and significantly more fleshed-out side quest design).

Someday SE will announce a Final Fantasy Tactics 3 and we are gonna raise such a ruckus in our nursing homes, let me tell you.

Edit: That said, if you're the kind of person who has to knock out every optional quest before progressing the main story, around the point where you are is really easy to get burned out, so never be afraid to push through a handful of story missions in a row just to move things along.

Yeah, I get ya; I've been using story missions every so often when I can make sure the 80 AP I get aren't going to go to waste. That's pretty much been my strategy.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I was addicted to the auction house when I played to get all the best items. Also unlocking the second continent is the flag for getting Gria and Seeq available for recruiting so I spent a lot of time getting them too.

I think I was always overlevelled in A2. The side stuff is too much fun, and the main story is less interesting then most of the sidequests plots.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I find the FF tactics games unbearably slow.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sakurazuka posted:

Since it's a nostalgia game they should put refs to FF14 1.0 in it.

Considering how boring the combat system is they already have.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

99% of the games are slow and boring and easy and you point to the few that actually tries to make boss battles interesting.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
a few questions.

I'm playing VIII for the first time and really enjoying it. After I got Carbuncle I realized that there are some spots between it and Siren so I'm guessing I missed two of them. I'm obviously at disc two and I wanted to know if I can go out and find the other two that I missed?

Also, I'm playing this on the Vita and I'll probably get IX next. I was wondering if the others on the vita are worth it or if there are any to avoid (I may be wrong but I swear I heard that you should avoid the Playstation version of IV but I could be wrong).

The only ones that I played before this were the first one and the port of III for the DS.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Yeah, Brothers is in the tomb of the unknown king near Deling, and Diablos is inside the lamp Cid gave you.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

SylvainMustach posted:

a few questions.

I'm playing VIII for the first time and really enjoying it. After I got Carbuncle I realized that there are some spots between it and Siren so I'm guessing I missed two of them. I'm obviously at disc two and I wanted to know if I can go out and find the other two that I missed?

Also, I'm playing this on the Vita and I'll probably get IX next. I was wondering if the others on the vita are worth it or if there are any to avoid (I may be wrong but I swear I heard that you should avoid the Playstation version of IV but I could be wrong).

The only ones that I played before this were the first one and the port of III for the DS.

Well you already played the worst one, so things can only go up from here!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SylvainMustach posted:

a few questions.

Many bosses have GFs you can draw off of them. In every boss fight you should be checking to do this. There are also several optional GFs such as diablo (use the lamp cid gave you) or brothers (complete the optional dungeon).

Congratulations you started the series by playing the absolute worst one and an upgraded version of a very dated game so it's all uphill. The PlayStation version of ffiv is terrible as is the PlayStation version of chrono trigger due to multisecond delays between pressing a button and the menu popping up. Those old ones are all available on PC and cellphones now so that's probably the optimal route to go even if they're are quite a bit uglier than the original SNES versions.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Saint Freak posted:

Yeah, Brothers is in the tomb of the unknown king near Deling, and Diablos is inside the lamp Cid gave you.

I think I hosed up the Brothers one at the tomb somehow. I may have flooded the wrong area instead of dropping a bridge or something.

My better half has played thru most of the PSX ones and that's what they said (they admitted that their memory wasn't so sharp on it so they could be wrong).

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Well you already played the worst one, so things can only go up from here!

:smith:

I'm enjoying it.

I really really like it.

I'm not gonna let you spoil that.

Barudak posted:

Many bosses have GFs you can draw off of them. In every boss fight you should be checking to do this. There are also several optional GFs such as diablo (use the lamp cid gave you) or brothers (complete the optional dungeon).

Congratulations you started the series by playing the absolute worst one and an upgraded version of a very dated game so it's all uphill. The PlayStation version of ffiv is terrible as is the PlayStation version of chrono trigger due to multisecond delays between pressing a button and the menu popping up. Those old ones are all available on PC and cellphones now so that's probably the optimal route to go even if they're are quite a bit uglier than the original SNES versions.

I misread that and thought you were calling VIII the worst one. Fwiw I cant remember the first one that well. I remember playing it at a neighbors house over a week or two one summer growing up.

I actually liked 3 quite a bit but I dont think I would've enjoyed it as much without the characters that they retroactively added.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
VIII is a lot of things but it's far from the worst in the series.

also there are no permanently missable GFs in the game in story boss battles and there's maybe one GF in the game you can only get once but it's the ultimate one and it's in an endgame side quest so you don't need to worry about missing any just by playing through the story

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I mean it's close to the worst in the series, there's only the NES games that are worse.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I mean it's close to the worst in the series, there's only the NES games that are worse.

which is what, like a fifth of the series at this point if you're only counting mainline games? because things like Dirge of Cerberus exist.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
They were referring to FF3DS, the absolute worst game in the series.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Try playing NES FF1 sometime

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
NES FF1 is significantly better than FF3DS. Source: I played them both last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tae posted:

Try playing NES FF1 sometime

If you can make it through the Ice Cave it's all easier from there. Sure you still have the godawful mechanics like your party not selecting a new target and potions not being worth the byte they're encoded on but it's not FF3DS which just hates your desire to have fun.