Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I requested they do a cover for Skeleton Tree :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Armor-Piercing posted:

Ashbury Heights covered Don't Fear the Reaper for Halloween:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzSjfgci64s

At first I thought it was Follow the Reaper, which would have been amazing, but I'm pretty happy with this too.

but not before throwing some shade in Blue Oyster Cult's direction

quote:

Track #1 'Don't Fear the Reaper' by Blue Oyster Cult is a beautiful song with some pretty puerile lyrics. But we feel it's naive rather than stupid and as a Halloween track it is probably THE classic (together with Monster Mash which we also considered). Our version is an attempt to make it danceable and fun in a modern sense, while keeping the songs haunting and atmospheric qualities intact. We think it turned out pretty nicely in that regard :)

Track #2 'Everyday is Halloween' by Ministry felt like the most natural track to do a cover of. It's electronic, it's by a band Anders has been listening to ever since 8th grade and it was really fun doing something so shamelessly retro with the production. Modernizing this song felt like robbing it of its soul so we stuck with an arrangement very close to the original.

lol at calling Don't Fear the Reaper's lyrics puerile and then fanboying out over Everyday is Halloween

good cover though!

edit: double lol at that glance she throws the camera after the vocals are finished and anders is still rocking out (3:40)

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Nov 1, 2016

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdLXA5ZFt1c

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
New Orphx album!

This track sounds a bit like Vromb https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5_ug3H9FRQ

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Guys. The new Covenant album is out and it is good as hell you guys.

It's very somber and melancholy and kind of low-key and minimal, doesn't have a single massive club banger hit single thing, but dammit it doesn't even need one. The album has a very distinct sound and Sound Mirrors, which I thought was really even weirdly unremarkable as a single, somehow works fantastically on the album proper. Its lightness is a stark contrast to the rest of the album even though it too fits the whole perfectly soundwise. Also, A Rider on a White Horse is incredible and totally not what I'd expect from Covenant.

This must be one of the most solid Covenant albums ever. Easily! Great stuff.

And the new DWIFH is out too :hellyeah:

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Nov 4, 2016

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Thanks! Flew under my radar ... about to put on brand new Ulrich Schnauss (not really related to this thread) but drat what an exciting day for music!!

edit: shucks, Covenant not out here

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Nov 4, 2016

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Tooooo much muuuusic.

Too much!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

It IS on Spotify but Covenant has two different entries for some reason.

spotify:artist:2VFvRlG7isK24D1WuHuGN1

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

extradite THIS! posted:

Guys. The new Covenant album is out and it is good as hell you guys.

It's very somber and melancholy and kind of low-key and minimal, doesn't have a single massive club banger hit single thing, but dammit it doesn't even need one. The album has a very distinct sound and Sound Mirrors, which I thought was really even weirdly unremarkable as a single, somehow works fantastically on the album proper. Its lightness is a stark contrast to the rest of the album even though it too fits the whole perfectly soundwise. Also, A Rider on a White Horse is incredible and totally not what I'd expect from Covenant.

This must be one of the most solid Covenant albums ever. Easily! Great stuff.

And the new DWIFH is out too :hellyeah:
And don't miss In Theory from the Sound Mirrors single. Really hard stuff. One of their best songs imo. It's also up on Spotify.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Hedenius posted:

And don't miss In Theory from the Sound Mirrors single. Really hard stuff. One of their best songs imo. It's also up on Spotify.

Yeah In Theory is great too. Would fit the somewhere on the album, but then again I feel The Blinding Dark is such a tight whole that it doesn't really need anything extra. It's kind of bizarre that the Metropolis version has such a different track order compared to the one Dependent (and Covenant themselves), that looks to me a worse album than this one.

Seriously, this album is something else and I'm kind of flipping out about it. I'm honestly ready to call this the best Covenant album ever. Certainly one of the, if not THE, most consistently enjoyable albums this band has ever put out. I've long thought that Covenant is never putting out another Northern Lite but honestly even NL has a couple of stinkers - there's nothing here I don't loving love. Unless the new ISC album is something totally incredible, this will likely end up being the album of the year for me.

The only thing I'm left wondering how and if at all the material on this album works live. It's so low-key and minimal and lacking in the massive chorus department (not that the album needs them!) that I don't really know yet. Sound Mirrors at Amphi was kind of... there. But as it turns out, I'll get to see it first hand since apparently Covenant is coming to Helsinki in April :hellyeah:

edit: Re: the new DWIFH - I listened to it a couple of times and while it's a really good album and doesn't go in the kind of regressive direction I was fearing after hearing it'd be a very aggressive album compared to ATWD, it's most definitely being overshadowed by The Blinding Dark for me. It's great but I can't stop listening to the new Covenant right now.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 4, 2016

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
New Dead When I Found Her up on Spotify.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Damnit, does the Metro release have a different album order again? That was true of Leaving Babylon as well and the Metro order was way worse.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

david_a posted:

Damnit, does the Metro release have a different album order again? That was true of Leaving Babylon as well and the Metro order was way worse.

It does and it's like they randomized the track order. Really weird.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I was ready to post that there was no way it was better than Sequencer without even listening to it. But I tell you what....its close. Legitimately surprised after that last album, which I downright disliked.

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

Kaddish posted:

New Dead When I Found Her up on Spotify.

Wow, that's a lot more Skinny Puppy-like than their usual stuff. I mean, they've always tread along the Puppy line, but this is like one raspy faux-british voice away from being a total knockoff. Still great, though.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Here's the German tracklisting for Covenant's "The Blinding Dark."

1. Fulwell
2. I Close My Eyes
3. Morning Star
4. Cold Reading
5. A Rider on a White Horse
6. Interlude (1:50)
7. Dies Irae
8. Sound Mirrors (Fulwell)
9. Interlude (Alternate) (1:06)
10. If I Give You My Soul
11. Summon Your Spirit

I checked the tracklisting on Amazon.de to make sure I had each "Interlude" in the right place.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Thanks! I checked the amazon.de listing but swear they didn't have the times when I looked. Looks like I got it right by luck -- made a playlist of it here:

https://open.spotify.com/user/markosaar/playlist/6eZZxuksJ6YqsZ5toOaHaY

I'm loving livid that I'm working this Saturday, but holy hell it's tolerable between having new Project Pitchfork (last week), Covenant, Dead When I Found Her, Rotersand and Ulrich Schnauss to listen to. Better than Christmas.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
I think the new Project Pitchfork is incredibly strong, especially in the first half. I'll probably post more about it later, but if you're on the fence, you should definitely check it out!

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

teethgrinder posted:

Thanks! I checked the amazon.de listing but swear they didn't have the times when I looked.

They didn't, I listened to the previews to figure out which was which.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The Blinding Dark is most definitely an album where the track order matters. I listened to it in the Metropolis order and it just doesn't work at all. The flow is... Off. Totally fails to showcase the strengths of the album in my opinion.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Is it somebody at Metro making these changes? Are they allowed to change the track order without the artists involvement?

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

Also,q that Lee Hazlewood cover is fantastic. I made myself a playlist with In Theory right after it...it seems to work.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

extradite THIS! posted:

The Blinding Dark is most definitely an album where the track order matters. I listened to it in the Metropolis order and it just doesn't work at all. The flow is... Off. Totally fails to showcase the strengths of the album in my opinion.

Same with Leaving Babylon. I didn't find out about that track order until earlier this year when someone posted the European track order in this thread. I immediately liked Leaving Babylon way better with the correct track order, hence why I sought out the correct track order for The Blinding Dark and didn't even listen to it in the Metropolis order.

No idea why the gently caress Metropolis is doing it. One time might be a gently caress up, but two in a row feels like it's intentional.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Interesting to see the new DWIFH is so much like Harm's Way. Some really good stuff in there too.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
My review pile today, the on-topic bands being Siva Six and Sirus. (Though actually my favourite in this lot was Rendez-Vous, who are guitar post-punk-revival.) The Sirus single is really nice and surprisingly pretty, particularly given the album it's from is the land of cookie monster vocals.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I just found out there was a new Gothsicles album on Nov 4 too!!!! https://gothsiclesngp.bandcamp.com/album/i-feel-sicle

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

After two days of non-stop listening, I hereby declare The Blinding Dark the best album Covenant has ever released.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I love shitloads of their tracks over their career, but this album is definitely sublime and exceptional. I'm REALLY impressed they made something this phenomenal later.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
The Blinding Dark is a fantastic album. Covenant were never a band i listened to much, but I'll have to really dig in to their back catalogue since I like this one a lot. In fact, it's probably my favourite record released in 2016.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

teethgrinder posted:

Heh. People kept showing for Honour ... Ronan said we should be happy we got Joy.

My white-whale of a live song is Monochrome by Covenant. Four times and no luck.

I think they opened with Monochrome into Call the Ships to Port on their first Northern Light tour, but I might be hallucinating that since it was so long ago.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I think they opened with Monochrome into Call the Ships to Port on their first Northern Light tour, but I might be hallucinating that since it was so long ago.

I saw them open with Monochrome on the Skyshaper tour, but that was also the gig when Eskil was so drunk he kept forgetting the words to songs.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

It's still in their current repertoire according to YouTube and setlist.fm ... just not when they visit Canada.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I saw them open with Monochrome on the Skyshaper tour, but that was also the gig when Eskil was so drunk he kept forgetting the words to songs.
For Eskil, this was Tuesday. :v:

Really enjoying the Blinding Dark... I've been switching between it and some atmospheric/ ambient stuff and it's just. So. Good. I love that Myer's back in the band because the way he operates is so perfect for Eskil's vocals.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I had no idea Myer was back. For some reason I thought it was the original trio with Clas back.

From Dependent's page:

quote:

The trio that became a quintet (featuring Andreas Catjar, Daniel Jonasson, Joakim Montelius, Daniel Myer and Eskil Simonsson)

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

At that Northern Light show he forgot the words to Dead Stars and just stood there shrugging. :stonk:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I've never seen Eskil screw up, but the weird one for me was Clas shortly before he quit the band.He looked... disturbed.

His keyboard clearly wasn't plugged in. He'd just occasionally walk to the front of the stage and do a weird ape-like arm dance.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

teethgrinder posted:

I've never seen Eskil screw up, but the weird one for me was Clas shortly before he quit the band.He looked... disturbed.

His keyboard clearly wasn't plugged in. He'd just occasionally walk to the front of the stage and do a weird ape-like arm dance.

Given that frequently both the other guys in Covenant are dancing at the front of the stage, they don't really hide that they're not playing live. Still a fun show though.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Given that frequently both the other guys in Covenant are dancing at the front of the stage, they don't really hide that they're not playing live. Still a fun show though.

yeah, I remember the first time I saw them in 2001. "Der Leiermann" started and I honestly thought the DJ had just put the record on, I hadn't realised the band had started. Swedish EBM karaoke.

(Black Celebration 2001. I'd honestly forgotten Covenant were playing, so that was a pleasant surprise. It was a long afternoon ...)

Failed Nihilist
Apr 10, 2015
Does Velvet Acid Christ get much love here? I love most of his music, but his FB posting makes him sound sort of whiny. He said he left Metropolis because they weren't promoting him enough. Any truth to that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Lots of VAC love I think. I hate to admit I kind of drifted off his releases though and should reacquaint. Twisted Thought Generator and and Fun With Knives were huge for me when I started getting into the genre. Weirdly haven't listened to new stuff since Lust for Blood.

I remember him being whiny and constantly contradictory on Side-Line forums, getting banned eventually.