Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
tbh I would say FF2 is worse than FF3DS, even as a big SaGa fan, but it's a close contest.

To the guy experiencing FF for the first time, first, W E L C O M E

Second, maybe put IX off for a bit and try VII or VI or V or X or IV DS. IX is one of my favorites in the series, but a lot of its charm is in its little references to classic FF, which will go over your head entirely if you don't have that background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Plenty of people, including me, played FF9 as their first and it works pretty well as a stand-alone Fantasy final fantasy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The references are pretty opaque and general in theme rather than specifics for FFIX. Even having played the whole series and playing it again very little stuck out to me other than that miserable quest to unlock a song from FF3. The story is dull as dishwater too and all over the place so knowing more FF will only point oh how middling the games pacing is.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tae posted:

Try playing NES FF1 sometime

Dungeons and Dragons: Squaresoft Edition is far better than any version of FF3. It's not even close.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Forget the other NES games, I would 100% play the NES version of FF1 over FF8 if given the choice.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i'd rather not play the nes ff1, but the gba one was good (because they pretty much completely changed it from the NES version)

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

morallyobjected posted:

VIII is a lot of things but it's far from the worst in the series.

also there are no permanently missable GFs in the game in story boss battles and there's maybe one GF in the game you can only get once but it's the ultimate one and it's in an endgame side quest so you don't need to worry about missing any just by playing through the story

Also, as much as you can try to Card enemies instead of kill them. Carding gives you AP to learn GF abilities, and you learn various ways to convert cards into items and items into spells. You can play the entire game without earning XP outside of boss fights, but still have 99 Ultimas junctioned to your STR and 99 Curaga junctioned to your HP and have Squall permanently Lionhearting level 10 enemies to death. Do not ever grind levels in 8, only grind Draws. A lot of people have bad experiences with the game by playing it like a normal RPG when it is very very weird. And amazing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Grozz Nuy posted:

Forget the other NES games, I would 100% play the NES version of FF1 over FF8 if given the choice.

So you just admitted you never played the nes version

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Nephzinho posted:

Also, as much as you can try to Card enemies instead of kill them. Carding gives you AP to learn GF abilities, and you learn various ways to convert cards into items and items into spells. You can play the entire game without earning XP outside of boss fights, but still have 99 Ultimas junctioned to your STR and 99 Curaga junctioned to your HP and have Squall permanently Lionhearting level 10 enemies to death. Do not ever grind levels in 8, only grind Draws. A lot of people have bad experiences with the game by playing it like a normal RPG when it is very very weird. And amazing.

FFVIII was the first RPG I ever played, and I would have been put off the genre completely if I thought every game like this was obtuse and unconventional.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Well you already played the worst one, so things can only go up from here!

I'm sorry I didn't see III bolded as the worst one. While it wasn't awful I'm enjoying VIII way more.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i've never really played a final fantasy before but alwyas wanted to; i picked up world of final fantasy online but in the interim i've decided to play FF6

having never really played a RPG, how do you play these games. are you supposed to just focus on on eenemy at a time or spread attack saround or waht?

please help

edit: or should i play a different final fantasy? I like games that are easier

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 6, 2016

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
VI is super easy as far as FF games go.

Generally focus-fire works best, but there's times you won't want to.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Nephzinho posted:

on the other hand, you can fight battles as often as they come up and you still will never be too challenged if you set up your junctions well. Carding is really only useful for getting certain items that are best gotten through card mod--less so as a way to avoid experience, because it's not that big a deal if you're not trying to just break the game over your knee

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

morallyobjected posted:

on the other hand, you can fight battles as often as they come up and you still will never be too challenged if you set up your junctions well. Carding is really only useful for getting certain items that are best gotten through card mod--less so as a way to avoid experience, because it's not that big a deal if you're not trying to just break the game over your knee

The fun of 8 is breaking the game over your knee. That and the first time I played it i played it at a friend's house who did the beginning without me so I missed the GF tutorial and we ended up playing through the game until the last boss of disc 3 before realizing why the game was so goddamn hard.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cleretic posted:

VI is super easy as far as FF games go.

Generally focus-fire works best, but there's times you won't want to.

thanks yo.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
Sabin and Edgar should be able to AOE every non boss encounter in a single turn.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

SylvainMustach posted:

a few questions.

I'm playing VIII for the first time and really enjoying it. After I got Carbuncle I realized that there are some spots between it and Siren so I'm guessing I missed two of them. I'm obviously at disc two and I wanted to know if I can go out and find the other two that I missed?

Also, I'm playing this on the Vita and I'll probably get IX next. I was wondering if the others on the vita are worth it or if there are any to avoid (I may be wrong but I swear I heard that you should avoid the Playstation version of IV but I could be wrong).

The only ones that I played before this were the first one and the port of III for the DS.

Definitely play IX, it's charming and a ton of fun.

Also definitely play VII, which is easily one of the most influential JRPGs ever and is still great, if a bit graphically dated.

I personally love FFIV, it's earnest, full of character and has my personal favourite soundtrack of the series. Definitely don't play the PSX version on your Vita, play FFIV Complete (the PSP release) which has brilliant redone sprites.

FFX/X-2 can be divisive, and the voice acting is a bit rough by today's standards. But the Vita remakes are absolutely brilliantly done, gorgeous to look at and listen to, and I actually enjoyed both games massively more in a portable format.

Those are the best bets on Vita IMO. V and VI are awesome too but I think you're better off with an SNES emulator for those, the PSX version with bad load times are just annoying to play.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

SylvainMustach posted:

I'm sorry I didn't see III bolded as the worst one. While it wasn't awful I'm enjoying VIII way more.

:glomp:

Also the card minigame in 8 is the best.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Be wary of the PSN versions of 4-6. I think the FF4 Complete Collection that came out for the PSP is available, if so go with that since it's the definitive 2D version and comes with its lackluster sequel (though if you do end up enjoying the gameplay of FF4 it's worth playing the sequel for more of it). Avoid the PS1 versions of the SNES games since they have bad load times compared to the originals and GBA ports, plus FF5's translation is pretty goofy.

The other FF games should be fine on Vita though.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Tae posted:

So you just admitted you never played the nes version

The NES version of FF1 is either the first or second video game I ever played, actually.

It's more of a statement on how much I really, really hate FF8.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Mega64 posted:

Be wary of the PSN versions of 4-6. I think the FF4 Complete Collection that came out for the PSP is available, if so go with that since it's the definitive 2D version and comes with its lackluster sequel (though if you do end up enjoying the gameplay of FF4 it's worth playing the sequel for more of it). Avoid the PS1 versions of the SNES games since they have bad load times compared to the originals and GBA ports, plus FF5's translation is pretty goofy.

There's a team tech in The Golden Girls called Final Fantasy that can only be performed with Cecil, Kain, Rosa, Edge, and Rydia and it owns bones.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

So good they lifted it wholesale for FF XIV.

What the poo poo were they thinking making Tetra Master alongside FFXI then refusing to put it in-game? Played it for a week when my graphics card wasn't up to XI, then never again.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Grozz Nuy posted:

The NES version of FF1 is either the first or second video game I ever played, actually.

It's more of a statement on how much I really, really hate FF8.

i think ff1 nes is only good in the context of 1988 or whenever it was released, when it was new and hadn't really been done before

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

mandatory lesbian posted:

i think ff1 nes is only good in the context of 1988 or whenever it was released, when it was new and hadn't really been done before

FF1 challenge runs were still pretty big among my group of friends up until the end of the SNES era since we didn't get FF5 until much later so I don't know that I totally agree with that. It was also from that era of "gently caress you"-style gaming challenge where you had to grind a lot for money and if you weren't careful you'd die on first battle going into some dungeon you didn't know.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I think NES FFI is interesting because it's probably the most utterly brokeass game that was still successful outside of first-generation Pokemon. It's easily still playable and enjoyable, but it's got half a dozen spells that literally don't do anything and other silliness like that.

The GBA version is a genuinely good game, though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I'm sure romhacks exist that fix spells like TMPR and SABR but there's not much reason to bother unless you really want to see your lvl 50 Master do 9999dmg to Chaos instead of 'only' 3-4k with a crit after FAST.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Ff9 has the best story, music, and Vivi. Best game.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

Ff9 has the best story, music, and Vivi. Best game.

FF9 is the most Final Fantasy Final Fantasy.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Mega64 posted:

thorsilver posted:

Definitely play IX, it's charming and a ton of fun.

Also definitely play VII, which is easily one of the most influential JRPGs ever and is still great, if a bit graphically dated.

I personally love FFIV, it's earnest, full of character and has my personal favourite soundtrack of the series. Definitely don't play the PSX version on your Vita, play FFIV Complete (the PSP release) which has brilliant redone sprites.

FFX/X-2 can be divisive, and the voice acting is a bit rough by today's standards. But the Vita remakes are absolutely brilliantly done, gorgeous to look at and listen to, and I actually enjoyed both games massively more in a portable format.

Those are the best bets on Vita IMO. V and VI are awesome too but I think you're better off with an SNES emulator for those, the PSX version with bad load times are just annoying to play.

I was gonna go with the Complete Collection for IV or IX next so both sound solid. X-X2 are on my radar as well. Thanks. I can boot up the wii u for V and VI ( I think they're on the Wii VC?).

Also is VII dated in terms of gameplay or just look. I had no idea how blocky that game looked til I started playing viii. But if it handles fine that's no problem.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I gotta re-read the rules to that.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

V wouldn't be on VC, the SNES version was never released in English.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

SylvainMustach posted:

I was gonna go with the Complete Collection for IV or IX next so both sound solid. X-X2 are on my radar as well. Thanks. I can boot up the wii u for V and VI ( I think they're on the Wii VC?).

Final Fantasy I through VI are available on Wii U VC... in Japan only. Square-Enix are the worst.

Actually, if you have access to a DS Lite or GBA, FF IV through VI were released on GBA and are pretty good. Though again an emulator is better, really, since then you can patch a better-quality version of the soundtrack into FFVI which is really, really worth the effort.

quote:

Also is VII dated in terms of gameplay or just look. I had no idea how blocky that game looked til I started playing viii. But if it handles fine that's no problem.

Just the look, and it's pretty OK really once you get used to the super-blocky character models. The game still plays fine and is kind of a must-play if you want to get into FF, IMO. Many, many people list it as their favourite entry in the series and I think it's still the highest-selling one ever. It's not my favourite personally but it's easily in the top five and I can see why many people consider it their fave.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

AlphaKretin posted:

FFV was released in English on the PSX and GBA. PSX version has load times and is awful, GBA is good except for the music quality.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Evil Fluffy posted:

FFV was released in English on the PSX and GBA. PSX version has load times and is awful, GBA is good except for the music quality.

I know? :confused:

AlphaKretin posted:

Maybe I should have quoted, but I was on phone, I was specifically responding to this:

SylvainMustach posted:

V and VI ( I think they're on the Wii VC?).

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Final Fantasy VIII is pretty great for two discs

Unfortunately it is a four disc game.

It picks up towards the end of Disc 3, Esther is a really good sequence even if the plot by that point has completely gone off the rails.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

tbh I would say FF2 is worse than FF3DS, even as a big SaGa fan, but it's a close contest.

The original, buggy NES release of FF2? Sure.

The GBA/PSP/iOS remake rules, though.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

CuddlyZombie posted:

The original, buggy NES release of FF2? Sure.

The GBA/PSP/iOS remake rules, though.

There's a PSP remake of 2?

Is that on the PSN?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Dawn of souls remakes 1 and 2.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

SylvainMustach posted:

There's a PSP remake of 2?

Is that on the PSN?

Yes there's a PSP remake of 2, I believe it's on PSN, it definitely is in Europe at least. There's also FF Origins on PSX which is also on PSN.

Dawn of Souls is a remake of both 1 and 2 on GBA.

Dawn of Souls is really good, I personally like the PSP remake more just for the big chunky sprites. Haven't played Origins in ages, but if I remember right its the only remake of old FF on PSX not plagued by terrible load times, but I could be wrong about that.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

thorsilver posted:

Yes there's a PSP remake of 2, I believe it's on PSN, it definitely is in Europe at least. There's also FF Origins on PSX which is also on PSN.

Dawn of Souls is a remake of both 1 and 2 on GBA.

Dawn of Souls is really good, I personally like the PSP remake more just for the big chunky sprites. Haven't played Origins in ages, but if I remember right its the only remake of old FF on PSX not plagued by terrible load times, but I could be wrong about that.

I don't own it, but I thought people complained about load times for all the PSX ports in Origins/Anthology/etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

What the gently caress was that introduction to Shelke?

I know there's a thread for WoFF now but everyone must know.