Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I had the coils go before, about two years ago. Symptoms were a bit different though, instead of #4 misfiring, I was losing #4 completely and running on 3 cylinders. Destroyed the cat too.

But I replaced them with another set off an older car, so these are probably (I hope) toast now too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Welp that wasn't the issue gently caress me.

Is it possible that the NGK wires are shot after only a couple of years?

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Applebees Appetizer posted:

If you drove a lot yes. Miatas eat wires like no other (at least on the 1,6, don't know about the 1.8).

Symptom sounds like mine too.

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
In less frustrating miata news my NA got arp wheel studs, 5 mm spacers, and a coil over setup using Bilsteins from the 94 r package and NB/FM top hats this week.
First road test today and all felt and sounded well. 2 autocrosses next weekend to properly test it and myself.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Check your grounds yet? A bad front ground point gave me a huge headache of similar misfiring issues.

e: I think that's a 1.6. This was where mine was on my 1.8:

opengl fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 29, 2016

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah when I did my water pump/timing belt I cleaned up all the grounds but I'm gonna re check things just to be sure.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

First 2k miles on my ND. Love this little car.

Quick check on Fuelly. I've been driving for fun rather than fuel economy and made some airport trips with dense/heavy luggage in the trunk, so I'm not expecting much. And yet - avg MPG: 35.1

By comparison, my non-SkyActiv Mazda 3 averaged 29.1mpg over 36k miles. Despite the change from regular to premium gasoline, my gas price per mile has gone down 20%.

SkyActiv is some serious wizardry.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
Not strictly speaking a Miata question, but should be similar enough that Miata people are probably the best informed on the matter:

We got a 1990 (or maybe 91) Mazda 323 BG, with a 1.8 BP engine. Basically it's the same engine as 1.8 Miatas (though sideways as originally intended), with what seems like the same ECU as the 1.6 (same size connector). Only major differences from the Miata engine should be that this one has distributor ignition and VICS.

Anyway, we suspect the timing is a bit off. The procedure to set it is the same, put a jumper in the diagnostics connector between TEN and ground, which should "lock" ignition advance to 10 degrees BTDC, then rotate the CAS (which is integrated with distributor) to set with timing light. However, we can see the timing change from just above 10 to 20-something with varying throttle, regardless of wether or not we have the TEN jumper. The only difference I noticed with the jumper is that it seems to disable the idle servo thing, as idle drops a fair bit (almost stalls). With a little bit of throttle applied to raise rpm, there is no noticeable difference when removing the jumper.

What have we missed? How do I set the timing properly on this thing? Is there anything else that's supposed to happen when jumping the TEN pin that we can use to verify if it even works as it is supposed to?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
TEN to GND also lets you set idle speed. So set that first to get rid of the almost stalling thing.

Then see where your timing sits at a normal idle and adjust. Then set idle again with the good timing =)

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 29, 2016

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Changed the plugs and wires, runs like a top :v:

Shoulda known better as long as I've been working on Miatas, but it seemed like I just replaced them yesterday and never even considered it. Losing track of time and space is an old person problem :smith:

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I finally got around to pulling the engine out of the spec miata. It was easier than I thought it would be. I think the next step is to push the car outside so I have room in the garage to have the "new" engine on a stand to clean and check things out. I also need to get my formula car in the garage so I can fix the side pod and sell it to fund the miata's work. I might drop the pan on the trashed engine and pull the pistons to check the block. I think it might be fine for a rebuild but it'll for sure need a new head.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Bastard!! Being able to keep on the front bumper cover!!

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

First 2k miles on my ND. Love this little car.

Quick check on Fuelly. I've been driving for fun rather than fuel economy and made some airport trips with dense/heavy luggage in the trunk, so I'm not expecting much. And yet - avg MPG: 35.1

By comparison, my non-SkyActiv Mazda 3 averaged 29.1mpg over 36k miles. Despite the change from regular to premium gasoline, my gas price per mile has gone down 20%.

SkyActiv is some serious wizardry.

My NC gets maybe 27 hwy. Lifetime average is 21.1

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

Phone posted:

Bastard!! Being able to keep on the front bumper cover!!

I just had the arm on full extension and put a towel over the ram lever. The bumper is a little dented in too. Assuming it's from the PO bump drafting lol.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
My tuning strategy of "I have no idea what I'm doing, throw in more fuel until it acts less lovely" has lead to a nice 16 mpg on a 1.6l

I convinced myself its because of all the traffic and idling. Its probably not.

At least this time it didn't stall with the AC on and lights up!

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
A wideband might pay for itself with fuel economy like that.

Also I had no idea getting the engine and transmission out without removing the bumper cover was a trick. I think the only thing I do is take off the cam angle sensor because it tends to bang on the firewall as I'm angling the engine.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

craig588 posted:

A wideband might pay for itself with fuel economy like that.

Also I had no idea getting the engine and transmission out without removing the bumper cover was a trick. I think the only thing I do is take off the cam angle sensor because it tends to bang on the firewall as I'm angling the engine.

It's on a wideband. Just the really really safe base map

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
My driveway is on an upward incline, and my NB starts super hard & wants to stall if I start it while it's on the driveway. If I roll it backwards so it's more level it fires right up.

Seems like a fuel thing, because I can feather the gas enough to get it going but otherwise it sputters and dies. Fuel tank's mostly full.

Is there a crash shutoff valve in there that might be acting up? Vent blocked?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

:haw:

eta: why have you betrayed me like this, friend

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 3, 2016

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

eta: why have you betrayed me like this, friend

"I can't believe you've done this."

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 4, 2020

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Why would you remove it? The paint is going to be different colors due to fading, might be holes drilled.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Just keep looking for another Miata. They're not hard to find.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

puberty worked me over posted:

apparently this car in the pictures below has a dealer installed ~~~*:siren:GROUND FX:siren:*~~~ kit how hard is it to remove?

Oh and is there a market for riceronis who want it

I have a similar issue with one I'm looking at. Subtlety is an unrecognized artform I guess.

By the way, what should I look for when I go to take a look at a miata? I've also never driven a manual car before, but I've been riding a motorcycle for about two years. How hard is it to learn a manual transmission in one of these?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

puberty worked me over posted:

7000 for a 15 year old car with 6 digits on it making a little over 100hp no lowballers i know what I got sports car

Yeah sounds ridiculous, but if that's how your local market is sell your Miata asap.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

As Nero Danced posted:

By the way, what should I look for when I go to take a look at a miata?

At least on NA/NB:
1.6 engines. Go with a 1.8, it will increase your jinba ittai.

Crazy aftermarket mods :rice:.

Rust on rocker panel, just in front of rear wheels. Usually the first place severe rust breaks out.

Soft top, they obviously wear out. Aftermarket replacement ones aren't too expensive, but paying someone to replace it could cost quite a bit more.

Lifter tick. Usually just annoying and not really serious. Sometimes goes away when engine heats up properly, or after changing oil.

Other than that, there aren't any real trouble spots. Look for the same things as with any used car (oil leaks, age of timing belt, unbearable fart smell, strange noises, allthethings).

As Nero Danced posted:

How hard is it to learn a manual transmission in one of these?

Not very. Comparing my NA to all other manual transmission cars I've driven, it is exceptionally normal and about as easy as a manual car gets. People used to bigger displacement engines might complain about the lack of low end power requiring a little bit more gas to get going, but it basically feels just like any other small car. Being geared a bit low you get to shift a bit more often, but that just means more practice and fun!
A few not-very-experienced drivers have driven mine too. None of them have had any issues with shifting, except finding reverse with my cheap aftermarket gear knob with no shift pattern markings on it.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Good list, but lifter tick is an NA thing only.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

FatCow posted:

Good list, but lifter tick is an NA thing only.

Lifter tick lets you know you are driving a Miata. Not a thing to fix.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
What I'm saying is if you come across a NB with 'lifter tick' something is very wrong with that car.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
To me that just says the NB has less personality than NA.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

It turns out my misfiring was from the CPM being covered in road gunk. I wiped it off and there's no more hesitation.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Do you not have the undertray?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

How do I get the angry car to stop telling me it's an Emergency! Brake! Ie how do I get the emergency brake light to stop coming on depending on whether I'm going uphill or downhill

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
The emergency brake light on NA and NBs serves double duty as a low brake fluid light.

Check your fluids

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

ethanol posted:

How do I get the angry car to stop telling me it's an Emergency! Brake! Ie how do I get the emergency brake light to stop coming on depending on whether I'm going uphill or downhill

yeah, fill up your master cylinder and possibly do a brake job because your pads are so low

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

It's an NC

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

ethanol posted:

It's an NC

Go take a picture of your master cylinder right now and post it here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

ethanol posted:

It's an NC

Apparently NCs do it too. Didn't have time to look it up before and didn't want to make stuff up.