Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

BioEnchanted posted:

I've got a recording device that works great and am finally going to do my LP of Dog's Life on PS2 - here's the first vid - how's the commentary? If it is far too low to hear over the game then I'll rerecord it and try to rebalance it, but if it is loud enough then I can just rebalance from video 2 onwards.

I could barely tell you were talking sometimes. I think rerecording would be a good idea, and if you can, try to record your commentary to a separate audio track so you can do the balancing afterward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
THought so, I'll get that corrected, reupload then repost.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I saw this and just laughed.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Mraagvpeine posted:

"Ages 8-up"
Yes, this checks out

Also, is it just me, or does the sentence "become a sensation from your stars" make no sense?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Alexeythegreat posted:

Also, is it just me, or does the sentence "become a sensation from your stars" make no sense?

You're missing part of the sentence, you "get the tools and the know-how" to do the thing from them.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

AlphaKretin posted:

You're missing part of the sentence, you "get the tools and the know-how" to do the thing from them.

I should start sleeping :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

Scrolling over that my dyslexia formed that blurb into "become a YouTube tool!" in my brain, and I went "yep, that's about right."

Seriously though, what a fundamentally horrifying thing for a toy retailer to be selling. Parents should not be encouraging their children to seek internet stardom, nor should companies be packaging this poo poo like it's a toy. The internet is weird and creepy and two-way interaction with it should be shunned at least until a person is old enough to get their Learner's Permit.

AmewTheFox
Oct 7, 2015

I AM THE STRENGTH
As a small break in that discussion(though that is all around a bad sounding idea), I re-did all my screenshots and did a bit of cleaning up, along with a few extra features. (Who knew someone uploaded the soundtrack to youtube?)

...That then begs the question of if that's wise, considering how OSTs linked through youtube gets removed at some point in the future.

Anyway, I think this is approaching postable territory.

Also, "game like popular MMOs"? What?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Some news that might be some small relief to anyone who's had a video blocked in Germany, maybe:

YouTube's seven year stand-off ends (BBC)

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

AmewTheFox posted:

As a small break in that discussion(though that is all around a bad sounding idea), I re-did all my screenshots and did a bit of cleaning up, along with a few extra features. (Who knew someone uploaded the soundtrack to youtube?)

...That then begs the question of if that's wise, considering how OSTs linked through youtube gets removed at some point in the future.

The only thing you might want to fix or play around with are the icons you're using for dialogue - they're kinda on the large size and would look better with transparency.

For example, I took the original Yugi icon:

And added some transparency and resized it:

Rule of thumb is basically that the icons should be as small as possible while still being clear enough that someone can take a single glance at it and recognize who's speaking.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

nine-gear crow posted:

Seriously though, what a fundamentally horrifying thing for a toy retailer to be selling. Parents should not be encouraging their children to seek internet stardom, nor should companies be packaging this poo poo like it's a toy. The internet is weird and creepy and two-way interaction with it should be shunned at least until a person is old enough to get their Learner's Permit.

The next generation will learn their lesson when they start looking for jobs and all the dumb poo poo they did as a kid is permanently archived on their facebook.

E:

PeaceDiner posted:

And added some transparency and resized it:
This reminds me, does anyone know of a good way to run an AA pass on an image? Preferably in Paint.net or GIMP, but I'm open to any freeware that can do it.

Lacedaemonius fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 1, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Unsurprisingly, the Heroes mentioned in the YouTube Heroes moniker are all minecraft let's players.

edit

I made hitler in their avatar creator because even hitler deserves the chance to be a Tube Hero™. Just look at how happy he is to be interacting with his hero, uhh... *scans list* c-captain sparklez

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 1, 2016

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

Lacedaemonius posted:

This reminds me, does anyone know of a good way to run an AA pass on an image? Preferably in Paint.net or GIMP, but I'm open to any freeware that can do it.
On Paint.NET, I've been using the "AA's_Assistant" included in this plugin package for years. Just delete the background with a 20~40% magic wand, and run at default settings. The sliders do help for individual tricky stuff like say, a thin gray line on a white background

There are probably more modern ones if you look around their boards, though.

AmewTheFox
Oct 7, 2015

I AM THE STRENGTH
Alright, so after figuring out a good scale, I think I got it.

Here's the old Joey Portait:

And the new one:

Aside from that, I think everything should be good to go....except maybe making the GIFs a bit bigger.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

That's totally Kaiba in a wig. Oh wow, I forgot how doofy that game's sprites are.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Fedule posted:

Some news that might be some small relief to anyone who's had a video blocked in Germany, maybe:

YouTube's seven year stand-off ends (BBC)

I can't wait until it turns out this comes with some kind of ridiculous caveat. Like the videos in question will only be playable in Germany and nowhere else.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I have rerecorded thje commentary and made it turned down the game audio - it is uploading as I type this. When it is finished I'll post it here, and if the commentary isn't being overpowered that should be fine to start the thread, unless there are other issues you want to raise while I'm at it?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Doubleposting with updated Video: https://youtu.be/33NQ34QpXV4

Is this good enough for a thread or is there still too much wrong with it? Keep in mind that more interesting commentary will come as areas get more advanced and give more to talk about.
Edit:
drat, just noticed that the software adhered the commentary to the vid length exactly, so it slightly cuts off my into in the start. I'll see what I can do about that.

Double checked and it didn't, false alarm, thank god. If there are no objections overnight I'll make the thread in the morning.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 2, 2016

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Final post for now to update - the thread is live as there were no further objections: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796419

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Miacis posted:

On Paint.NET, I've been using the "AA's_Assistant" included in this plugin package for years. Just delete the background with a 20~40% magic wand, and run at default settings. The sliders do help for individual tricky stuff like say, a thin gray line on a white background

There are probably more modern ones if you look around their boards, though.
Big thanks! Just tried it and works like a dream.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
So would anyone be interested in a Paradox LP/megacampaign? I've been recording it over on the Paradox forums, but as I was getting towards the end of the CK2 volume, I wondering how it might be received over here?

hashashash fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 6, 2016

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hashim posted:

So would anyone be interested in a Paradox LP/megacampaign? I've been recording it over on the Paradox forums, but as I was getting towards the end of the CK2 volume, I wondering how it might be received over here?

On the one hand, we've had a lot of Paradox LPs and they're great. More are always great!

On the other hand, that's a bit of a youtube dump-esque situation, if we've got a mostly complete LP being posted all at once, and that's frowned upon.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Hashim posted:

Please don't post interest checks in the sandcastle!

From the OP:

JordanKai posted:

: How can I ask if anyone is wanting to see me LPing this game? What is an interest check?

: There's no point in posting an interest check without something to show for it. An interest check is just asking whether people want to see an LP without actually putting forth some significant sample content (more than just an OP).

For the most part, people won't really care if you LP the game or not, and it's very difficult to judge whether an LP would be interesting or not without seeing an actual update of it. If you want to know if people are interested, make a test post - don't just post "Would anyone like to see an LP of this game?". This applies no matter how much you have to decide before starting, or if you're unsure about how to LP the game. If you're not ready to put in the effort to make an LP without knowing how many people are going to be interested then you probably aren't ready to post an LP anyway.

Now that said, there's plenty of interest in Paradox threads here; we've had several and they've all had long and fruitful lives. That said, you shouldn't post already-completed or mostly-completed LPs here and you definitely shouldn't repost LPs from elsewhere. If you're going to start a thread it should be started for a new LP. If there's any doubt about this you should probably check out the rules thread and spend some time lurking here. Good luck!

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!

StrixNebulosa posted:

On the one hand, we've had a lot of Paradox LPs and they're great. More are always great!

On the other hand, that's a bit of a youtube dump-esque situation, if we've got a mostly complete LP being posted all at once, and that's frowned upon.

Fedule posted:

Please don't post interest checks in the sandcastle!

From the OP:

Now that said, there's plenty of interest in Paradox threads here; we've had several and they've all had long and fruitful lives. That said, you shouldn't post already-completed or mostly-completed LPs here and you definitely shouldn't repost LPs from elsewhere. If you're going to start a thread it should be started for a new LP. If there's any doubt about this you should probably check out the rules thread and spend some time lurking here. Good luck!

Hey! Thanks for the info/rule guidance, probably should have read through it a bit more thoroughly. But yeah, I'll definitely be lurking for a while, just wasn't sure whether near-complete games were usually received here, so I'll avoid posting that here. Thanks again!

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

AmewTheFox posted:

I will say that you won't need to put a colon after the character portrait. Also, for the music, I recommend labeling it with "Music: " or something too, just to make it a little bit more clear.

quote:

I didn't know there was an LP equivalent to "You are what you eat."

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen
Time for a test post:

Dishonored is a 2012 stealth action game by Arkane, of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic fame. Inspired by titles such as Thief and Deus Ex, it heavily features stealth but allows for a variety of different play styles as you work to bring the traitors and murderers of your empress to justice.

This LP
As unfair has already provided a nice and thorough playthrough and perochialjoe has showcased a bunch of really cool tricks and powers, I will attempt to show off the versatility of the stealth gameplay by challenging myself not to use any special guards and to avoid all the enemies I possibly can; no powers, no knockouts, no kills. This forces me to approach the challenges of the game quite differently, and should be interesting to watch. Or at least to play.

Schedule
I will try to finish this before the sequel comes out on Friday so quite rapid. I'm very familiar with the game and should be able to record most of the levels pretty quickly.

Feedback
This is my first LP, so any and all suggestions are welcomed.

Spoilers
The game has been out for years now so I assume anyone interested has already played through it, but try to tag any story event spoilers I haven't passed yet.

Videos

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I guess that it's only a quality check on the video you're wanting? Because if you want to finish an entire LP by Friday, you should be starting soon. The quality looks fine.

Also, your video is of the introduction, before stealth becomes necessary, so it's not really demonstrating how you'll actually be playing. But I guess that doesn't matter since you seem confident you can manage.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen
Yeah, video and audio quality was what I was unsure about. Playing should not present a terrible challenge, as the game isn't particularly long and I'll need to skip a bunch of the side content in order to stick to my parameters. Plus I've played this game way too much.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

Time for my very first test post!
Thread Title: MMOrons and Free2Plebs - Let's Play MMOs

What
The internet is littered with dozens, if not hundreds, of lovely Free2Play MMOs. I (Olivia) and my partner (Darcy) have always had a passion for discovering the what lows these games sink to in lack of effort, game design, and fun. We plan on playing and experiencing the best (but mostly worst) the web has to offer when it comes to MMOs, especially free and lovely ones.

Why
I worry that both of us are gluttons for punishment. But, it's more likely that we love playing bad games together and wanted to share our journey with an audience.

What Will This LP Be Like?
Darcy and I will play a Free2Play MMO for a short while, recording our first impressions and our attempts to derive entertainment out of games that are designed to remove fun from your life. We'll likely not do more than 2 videos on a single game unless we're finding it fun or want to show off more a game has to offer. Not every game we play is guaranteed to be bad, but most of them probably will be.

Commentary is casual and "podcast-y", so be warned that if we play a game you like we most likely won't be paying attention as much as we should. Our primary goal is to pal around, have fun, and not take anything seriously.

Requests?
We ARE accepting requests! If you know of any Free2Play game we can both play together and want to see us try it, let us know! That being said, we have a sizable list of games so we won't run out if nobody requests anything.

Episodes:

Episode 1 of 2

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
Looks good to me on a technical level, and I enjoyed the banter!

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Looks good to me on a technical level, and I enjoyed the banter!

Thank you! If things are good technically and the content is fine, then I'll go ahead with things then. :)

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage
Let's hope I don't mess this test post up.

In Phantom Brave, a 13-year-old girl named Marona is left on an island by herself by her parents who abandoned her when she was 5. She works as a Chroma, which is essentially a hero-for-hire with the twist that she can summon the spirits of the dead, manifesting them into everyday items like pots and trees. Along the way, people will go out of their way to be mean to her, because that's what you do with 13 year old kids who are clearly freaking possessed.

Phantom Brave was originally released in 2004, and has seen several rereleases since. It falls into the Strategy RPG genre of games, with characters the player levels up to pit against enemy combatants. Unlike most other Nippon Ichi Software titles, the maps used are not grid based, which adds a level of complexity (and at times, frustration) that to date only one other title by this company has explored (that being Makai Kingdom.) This game manages to avoid a number of tropes that Nippon Ichi's flagship franchise Disgaea has, focusing on a tale of a young girl trying to make her world better even as others are quick to exploit her. This is a classic underdog story that I personally enjoy, and I think many others will too.

So How Are We Playing This Thing?
I'll be uploading videos on Youtube, with commentary. I intend to break down each map (with its cutscenes) to its own video. I will generally, but not always, try to keep my mouth shut during the cutscenes in case people haven't seen them before. You will all help by suggesting names for characters we recruit. For this playthrough, we will not be focused on the most hardcore optimum builds, instead focusing on what makes the playthrough easier to get through. I may do side videos outside of the storymode, but likely will not feel the need to record every grind session between maps. I may take screenshots if I feel something is best expressed this way.

How Often Are We Playing This Thing?
As we can. In the beginning, it'll be easy to get 2 or 3 maps out of the way. As we get closer to the end, we may have to make do with just one. I'll be sure to at least update the thread once a day.

Feedback
While I've done some live streaming before, this is my first Let's Play, and I'm trying to get better at this in general. So please, feel free to point out when I need to make sure to adjust things. I will mention for what it's worth I capture gameplay with OBS, but have not settled on a solid (free!) video editor yet. I also could benefit from some more advanced editing techniques, but I'm not going to let that stop me from this particular LP.

Spoilers
Story events should be tagged. Unlockable characters that aren't story characters are far less of a concern, especially as we decide the undead spirit army we're going to use to bring Marona to glory!

Videos
Game Introduction! [000]

sethimothy fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 13, 2016

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The video is still processing, but I can at least offer this: in my opinion, having such a tiny banner be timg-ed is unnecessary. Let it be full-sized, don't make a potential viewer click on it to see its full-size.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Unless you're really sure you can handle it, I wouldn't recommend doing an update every day. I know there are some people who can push out videos regularly like clockwork, but not a lot of people can handle that kind of output.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I agree, unless you have a bigass backlog (ideally the whole LP is complete and you just need to upload and post it, but not many people do that) updating every day is a bit ill-advised. Also you wanna give people time to talk about stuff and if you're racing through the LP there won't be much to spare.

Regarding the video itself, the one criticism I have is that there's a lot of downtime where you're not saying anything, particularly during the combat tutorial. The prompts come up on the screen about how to move etc but that's the kind of thing people probably could read even if you're talking at the same time- not like dialogue, or other story-related text. Obviously that won't be a problem once the tutorial stuff is out of the way, but it's just some food for thought. If you have anything to say while there's tutorial prompts and stuff up, you might as well do so.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage
Thanks for the feedback. I had a chance to look over what I'd recorded last night, and I'm probably just going to reshoot it; I'll be sure to be more mindful of opportunities I can explain things or at least play along with the viewer instead of playing for the viewer. As to trying to put out video every day, I might change the wording to show I'm going to try to push for that kind of schedule, especially in the beginning, although obviously real life happens and (as you mentioned) I'll want to give people time to talk about what's going on, make decisions, that sort of thing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's fair. Some games have a pretty slow start before they really take off, and sometimes it's better to put out videos more frequently when that happens.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
I had a thought. How practical/unrealistic would it be to LP a Wiiu game where you capture the TV screen and the gamepad, and load them as two videos that need to be watched at the same time? The viewer could either watch them in windowed mode or if they have two monitors, one on each. (I really dislike PIP.)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You could do the video part fairly easily using a site like Youtubedoubler or similar, which syncs the videos and plays them side by side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Pretty bad for everyone who might watch videos on their phone