Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Well done, Ireland. Simply too good on the day and it was bound to happen sooner or later. It's easy to say "injuries, no Retallick and Whitelock, etc.," but Ireland can only beat what's in front of them. Totally deserved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Fuuuuuuck this game

This game loving owns, I love giant upsets in sport so much :allears:

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Well done Ireland. 2013 avenged.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

god drat yes

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
Congrats Ireland. They played really well.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS GET THE gently caress IN

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

If you had just held on a few extra years, Brian O'Driscoll!

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin

Vagabundo posted:

Well done, Ireland. Simply too good on the day and it was bound to happen sooner or later. It's easy to say "injuries, no Retallick and Whitelock, etc.," but Ireland can only beat what's in front of them. Totally deserved.

fair play for being a good sport, there's not many places on the internet where you can find it

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Yeah good job, Ireland. Played their loving hearts out and totally deserve it. Defense was excellent and their decision to actually attack the line worked wonders.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lads.....lads!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The All Blacks never got to get going for much of the game, and when were able to gain some ground, they lacked the composure that they needed when it mattered. Ireland held their nerve where previous Irish teams that put in these kinds of performances against the All Blacks in the past had failed.

Hopefully this will do a world of good for Kieran Read as a captain in the same way that the quarterfinal loss in 2007 turned out to be the best thing to happen to McCaw as a captain.

Kt88
Aug 15, 2003
I'm finding it impossible to feel bad about this loss. Good poo poo Ireland.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Ireland have still not beaten New Zealand in either New Zealand or Ireland. :smug:

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Just watched the Wales game (morning in Australia).

When we're in the RC, I hate that we have to play the ABs three times.
When we play the NH afterwards, I'm glad that we have to play the ABs three times.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
could everyone start saying prayers for italy

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Steve Hansen posted:

It's about time they won anyway.

It makes the next fixture in Dublin a little spicy.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

tag youre fat posted:

could everyone start saying prayers for italy

Parisse doesn't deserve this. :smith:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Plucky Brit posted:

Ireland have still not beaten New Zealand in either New Zealand or Ireland. :smug:

From the makeup of the crowd it sure felt like it could have been in Ireland...

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
I was watching with some other Rugby heads and we all thought that Ireland are the first team to work out that kicking the ball away to the All Blacks is a bad tactic but, when you do have to kick, chase the gently caress out of it. I am not saying that was the only thing they did right but it certainly helped.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Honestly, Ireland's kicking and kick receiving was a big part of how they won. They controlled the field space really well, and thereby determined where the rugby was going to be played today.

It was especially noticeable after last night, when the Eagles outside backs a) played too shallow and kept having to turn and run to chase down kicks over their heads and b) kicked too short giving the Maori way too much time to counterattack.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...

ElectroMagneticJosh posted:

I was watching with some other Rugby heads and we all thought that Ireland are the first team to work out that kicking the ball away to the All Blacks is a bad tactic but, when you do have to kick, chase the gently caress out of it. I am not saying that was the only thing they did right but it certainly helped.

I don't think there was anything special about Ireland's tactics. You just simply can't win a game of rugby if you can't win your own lineout and you keep giving away dumb penalties when you aren't under pressure. It gives the opposition too many opportunities to attack from good field position.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Both sides capitalized effectively on each other's errors; the ABs just made more of them in more dangerous situations.

Also Aaron Smith and Julian Savea each made a rookie-level boneheaded mistake to cost a try--Smith falling for the most basic of halfback dummies, Savea running into the corner of the try zone and getting trapped.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

I would also like to congratulate Devon Toner for finally accepting the inevitable and shaving his head. Good on yer, son

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Rhys Webb might have done his ankle ligaments another nasty. RIP him, RIP Ospreys.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I flew back home today, and Keven Mealamu was waiting in the security line behind me. That was pretty cool. Would have been cooler if he'd been closer to where I was and I could have gotten a selfie - oh well!

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
I'm finally watching the Wales game as I was unavailable all Saturday. I'm ten minutes in and Wales have missed about a hundred tackles, and Jonathan Davies is still talking about how "Wales have put in some excellent tackles".

Jesus, it's going to be a grim seventy minutes.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

https://twitter.com/VP/status/795094829554352128

Who'd have guessed?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Vagabundo posted:

It makes the next fixture in Dublin a little spicy.

Speaking of the next match - anyone know how to watch it in the US? Doesn't look like its on ESPN or the rugby channel.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Speaking of the next match - anyone know how to watch it in the US? Doesn't look like its on ESPN or the rugby channel.

The All Blacks website (http://allblacks.com/) might be streaming it for a small fee, although I think you have to sign up to the All Blacks fan club.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
No matter what that fee is, it'll still be a better option than all the money I'm spending to stay in Cardiff and watch Wales get beaten by the Argentines :(

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Meanwhile in New Zealand, after several high-profile scandals involving rugbyboys, the NZRU's put together a review panel, co-chaired by two people who are joined by a further 8, along with a researcher/writer.

They are:

Brent Impey (New Zealand Rugby chairman) - co-chair
Kathryn Beck (New Zealand Law Society president) - co-chair
Jackie Barron (Sport NZ Board member and former netball administrator)
Liz Dawson (NZCricket and Hurricanes Board member)
David Howman (former WADA head)
Kate Daly (Fletcher Building HR and Communications Executive)
Michael Jones (former All Black)
Keven Mealamu (former All Black)
Dr. Deb Robinson (former All Blacks team doctor)
Lisa Carrington (Olympics gold medallist)

Robyn Cockburn (Researcher/writer)

http://allblacks.com/News/30095/new-zealand-rugby-announces-respect-and-responsibility-review

The mix of the panel is quite encouraging, with a majority of women, along with Keven Mealamu who has campaigned for Women's Refuge in the past and would have a fair bit to say as he was the All Blacks disciplinarian during his time as a senior player in the squad.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 11, 2016

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
British and Irish Lion Ross Ford is getting his 100th Scotland cap this weekend, looking at the list he's definitely the worst player to hit 100.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes you just gotta take the reliable journeyman

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
90% of life is just showing up; in rugby, the greatest skill of all is avoiding injury.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Gethin Jenkins will become the world's most capped front rower this weekend too, but he's cool and good and once broke my heart doing this

https://youtu.be/0tX2FR8t-vM

10 years ago :stare:

MyChemicalImbalance fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 10, 2016

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

:pwn:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

tag youre fat posted:

British and Irish Lion Ross Ford is getting his 100th Scotland cap this weekend, looking at the list he's definitely the worst player to hit 100.

Of Scotland players with 100 caps it's a list of 2 players, and he's better than Sean Lamont.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Time for the kings of chucking it about.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hahaha, the Baabaa's aren't loving about. They're good this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
It's extremely wet here but the rugby's good so far, cheering for a Fiji comeback