Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Garbonix
Oct 9, 2012

What is this?
Magic Pengel is a 2002 role-playing video game developed by Garakuda-Studio and Taito for the PlayStation 2, published by Agetec in North America. Studio Ghibli also collaborated with this game. The main draw is the drawing mechanics allowing you to make a massively customized line up of creatures to fight with.

Thread Participation
That is right with the main mechanic being to make things, I will be trying to make some of the things that get suggested.

Spoilers
Just try not to make the thread look like a redacted mission statement.

Videos
Episode 1: Awakening to ART
Episode 2: Denka's Fist
Episode 3: Superstar Arrives
Episode 4: Spooky
Episode 5: Vampyre Joins
Episode 6: Oblivion Awaits
Episode 7: Going Fast
Episode 8: Tipping the Scales
Episode 9: Magic Happens
Episode 10: Refreshing
Episode 11: Next Stop the Finals
Episode 12: Finding Mono?
Episode 13: What a Twist
Episode 14: Colorful Finish

Garbonix fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Dec 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Oh man, I bought this game like three years ago but only played it once because I was so bad at the battle system. I should probably get around to actually playing it one day, but for now this is a great way to get to experience the game. I'm looking forward to seeing what I've been missing and all of the crazy Doodles.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
Man, this game really does not take too well to emulation at times.

I'm honestly only familiar with the game's sequel, Graffiti Kingdom 2 (this game was actually called Graffiti Kingdom to begin with!), but I can already see how the sequel improves on the drawing capabilities. And combat animations. But to be fair the sequel was less a battler and more a platformer. And I didn't know the dog design (loading screen and intro) was one that stayed between games.

Any options for invisible ink?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i love this game and not just because all your monsters can be dicks, tho it helps

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
The video seems really quiet compared to the average. Very excited to see how this goes though!

Garbonix
Oct 9, 2012
Episode 2: Denka's Fist

Dinictus posted:

Any options for invisible ink?

While there isn't invisible ink you can set an anchor point on the doodle and have the part float away from the body. It allows for some pretty good designs when you take your time with it.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
I can't really draw, but since you asked for Doodle ideas, when you unlock the necessary part and design options, in observance of this month's spooooky festivities, I'd like to see how a Slender Man Doodle works out, because that meme hasn't been run into the ground enough yet (and aside from the ink requirements, it doesn't seem all that hard to draw). Max height, super thin, suit and tie, the works. Maybe extra arms for the tentacle version that got popularized by that one Youtube series with all the production values.

Or maybe draw a stereotypical pointy-hatted, bearded wizard. Just tossing ideas out there. I remember wanting to try this game back when it came out, but not owning a PS2, so I look forward to seeing how this all works.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
While more complex stuff will be great later on, IMO the next step up from a bouncy ball is a bouncy Kirby!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Zanzibar Ham posted:

While more complex stuff will be great later on, IMO the next step up from a bouncy ball is a bouncy Kirby!

As a literal lifetime Kirby fan I should be ashamed to not have thought of this first. This is exactly what should happen. There's even a handy tutorial online. Maybe give him a big ol' hammer or a jaunty hat to up the complexity a little, since, if I understood the stuff I read on the game correctly, having more parts means more stats, generally, so just Kirby on his own would probably pale in comparison to the current abominations on the team.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Requests, you say?

:sterv:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It's October, so I think :drac: would be appropriate

Garbonix
Oct 9, 2012

Bruceski posted:

It's October, so I think :drac: would be appropriate

Lizard Wizard posted:

Requests, you say?

:sterv:

If you mean what those are based off of I can give it a shot, but if you mean the smiles themselves; they are quite tiny.

Episode 3: Superstar Arrives

We now have all the parts to draw a full humanoid person, but nothing to put the fine detail on them.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I started watching this LP and this is a cute game. I wish the volume was louder.

EDIT: The Megaman Legends games. I thought the design looked familiar.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

First you draw a circle

then you dot the eyes

add a great big smi-

:stonk:

I look forward to the other horrifying monstrosities produced by the Pengel. Keep up the good work, though I feel like there's a lot of stuff not being said about the, uh, interesting voice work in the game.

Garbonix
Oct 9, 2012
I should have kept a picture of Kirby up when drawing him. Luckily the undo button can make you go back all the way to a blank canvas.

Speaking of blank canvas, beware the spooky things in this here update.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Garbonix posted:

I should have kept a picture of Kirby up when drawing him. Luckily the undo button can make you go back all the way to a blank canvas.

Speaking of blank canvas, beware the spooky things in this here update.

I find it apropos that Doodle Slender Man's signature ability is turning an opponent's power back on itself. Also, the video ended perfectly, I just hope nobody mistakes it for a genuine editing error.

Garbonix
Oct 9, 2012
Episode 5: Vampyre Joins

We now have a full team of suggested doodles. This means soon we have to put our starting doodles away.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

If you don't mind a bit of constructive criticism, as enjoyable as it is to see the Doodles and stuff, the game is actually fairly dry on its own, and it might help to have a bit more color commentary (no pun intended).

By the way, if you need a suggestion on a Magic-type Doodle, try Sonic the Hedgehog, for maximum ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I vote for a SICK-rear end DRAGON. Like I want to beat people up with something off a heavy metal cover.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I'd like to see you make Pepsiman.

Garbonix
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Buttass posted:

I vote for a SICK-rear end DRAGON. Like I want to beat people up with something off a heavy metal cover.

This along with the Wizard we'll be making mean we're missing just one piece to have a heavy metal cover team.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'd like to see you make Pepsiman.

Just to make sure, you are talking about the mascot of Pepsi in Japan right?

Episode 6: Oblivion Awaits

Forward we press beating small children in games and telling lies to the police about seeing people.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Garbonix posted:

Just to make sure, you are talking about the mascot of Pepsi in Japan right?

Of course! I haven't heard of any other Japanese mascot for Pepsi, except maybe Pepsiwoman.

Garbonix
Oct 9, 2012
Episode 7: Going Fast

We're now just about halfway through the game and thing are getting quite strong, but with good planning we'll keep on the winning track.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

My only complaint is that Sonic doesn't have the highest possible Speed stat, when he's made it pretty clear that speed is his primary specialty. But for now, I'll ask the question I'm sure is on everyone's mind: Is Mono a Block-type or a Magic-type? He's got a lot of white in that jacket, but it looks like the rest of his clothes are blue.

Garbonix
Oct 9, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

My only complaint is that Sonic doesn't have the highest possible Speed stat, when he's made it pretty clear that speed is his primary specialty. But for now, I'll ask the question I'm sure is on everyone's mind: Is Mono a Block-type or a Magic-type? He's got a lot of white in that jacket, but it looks like the rest of his clothes are blue.

Mono's type is a bit strange. He can change the type he is without anybody adding color to him. This comes from the fact he can pull color out of the world. That skill allows for his type to be every changing, but always the same.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I remember getting so frustrated with this cute game because IT WOULD NEVER DRAW HOW I WANTED IT TO. :(

Garbonix
Oct 9, 2012
Getting the game to draw how you want takes a lot of time. I end up drawing most doodles 3 or 4 times before I record the final drawing of them, even then it doesn't always work out like I want.

Episode 8: Tipping the Scales

Now to keep getting more doodles we are going to need to put some doodles into the home.

So which ones should we put away?

Kirby
Slender
Dracula
Sterv
Sonic
Dragon

Garbonix
Oct 9, 2012
Episode 9: Magic Happens

There is one suggestion left for doodles to make and only a couple of battles left. We are quickly approaching the end.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Dr. Buttass posted:

You fail to live up to your username. Because of that, I vote for a sick rear end-dragon.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
What? I am a certified doctor of both butts and asses. The dragon stays. Ditch Slender.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

In the interest of defending my favorite Doodles, I'll vote for Dracula or Sterv. No offense to Garbonix but I don't think they came out looking quite as good as the others.

Garbonix
Oct 9, 2012
Episode 10: Refreshing

At last all the weapon palette part is ours. We are able to draw 2 weapons on our doodles, they must be connected to the arms either by dot or putting it right there on them and where you start drawing is the point that connects.

We are also out of drawing suggestions so we'll be hopping right into the story and fight stuff next time. So if you want to pick the team I take the last fight on with go for it.

Garbonix
Oct 9, 2012
Episode 11: Next Stop the Finals

There we have it the finals are in our grasp we just have to reach out and beat all those that stand in our way.

Still have time to pick the team for the final battle.

Flail
Pair
Kirby
Slender
Dracula
Sterv
Dragon
Sonic
WIZARD!
PepsiM

Garbonix
Oct 9, 2012
Episode 12: Finding Mono?

We get to see what the inside of the castle looks like and begin to climb to the top. Nothing will stand in our way for long.

You guys got until Monday to pick the team for the final fight or I'll just pick the team at random.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
Could someone explain what the deal is with all these people claiming to be Mono, the Doodle King? This game is subtle enough that I couldn't really piece it together. Also, please explain using the same inflection as the Monos.

More seriously, thanks very much for the LP. The goofy lag-dialogue and the occasional fights are a pleasure, and it's nice to be able to go through without messing around with the grinding and customizing. It's unfortunate that the writing and mechanics both wound up being so bare-bones, but at least the game was a stepping stone to the actually-quite-serviceable Graffiti Kingdom (2?).

Garbonix
Oct 9, 2012
Episode 13: What a Twist

We learn some shocking news about how evil the kingdom is. We also reach the top of the castle and find some plot.
The next episode will be uploaded sometime later today. The randomized team picks were Kirby, WIZARD!, and Flail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garbonix
Oct 9, 2012
Episode 14: Colorful Finish

There we have it, the end of Magic Pengel. Was very fun to play back through and I hope you all enjoyed it.

• Locked thread