Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The thing that kills me about PowerShell is the commands that are longer than a German dictionary. And you can't just tab it out because there are twenty other commands that are the exact same except for the last three letters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
All hail Verb-Noun scripting.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Moey posted:

All hail Verb-Noun scripting.

Get-Out | Format-Frog

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Is any of the stuff in the OP super out of date? I'm currently working in real estate and want to get into programming, but I have zero dollars to my name, and my fantasy is that I can go online and study and get certs and get a sweet job working from home and make a shitload of money. A: am I an idiot and this isn't how this poo poo works and B: if it can be done that way should I just pick a cert in the op to start working on like it suggests or is there a natural starting place?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Namaer posted:

Is any of the stuff in the OP super out of date? I'm currently working in real estate and want to get into programming, but I have zero dollars to my name, and my fantasy is that I can go online and study and get certs and get a sweet job working from home and make a shitload of money. A: am I an idiot and this isn't how this poo poo works and B: if it can be done that way should I just pick a cert in the op to start working on like it suggests or is there a natural starting place?

This thread is more geared toward IT certifications. Software programming/development is related to, but different from IT infrastructure. Cavern of COBOL is a good forum for resources on getting into coding and software development. That's not to say that programming and development don't overlap with IT (indeed, it's increasingly becoming a requirement that IT personnel know languages like Python, Ruby, or Java), it's just that IT certifications focus on things like configuring and deploying routers, designing computer networks, managing a domain, or administering Linux or Windows. If those things interest you, then you've come to the right place.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Three hours till my N+ :ohdear:

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

The Nards Pan posted:

You'll be ok. I believe in you, random internet stranger :salute:

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

The Nards Pan posted:

Good luck!

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo
Thanks folks.

815/900.

I was surprised I did so well, I thought for sure I was going to fail when I submitted it. I thought I was pretty well prepared too.

On to RHCSA!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
CompTIA base tests (a+ N+ s+) are graded on a super easy scale.

Congrats!

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

If you fail the Network+ you need to find a new line of work because IT is not for you.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

vyst posted:

If you fail the Network+ you need to find a new line of work because IT is not for you.

poo poo, now I kinda want to just go take it cold just to see if I'm allowed to stay in IT :getin:

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

vyst posted:

There's a guy in one of my classes who has failed it three times now, but yeah he's probably not destined for a real great career in IT. There are a couple people in other classes who have failed once or barely passed who generally seem pretty capable.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Holy hell how do you fail once and not immediately know what to study to pass the second time? Then fail again and STILL not know how to pass it?

That's insane.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

The Nards Pan posted:

On to RHCSA!

What's up RHCSA buddy.

My employer wants me to take RHCSA so I signed up for my exam on 27th of Janauary.

Already did a class training earlier this year, and got 3 weeks off to study since my client sends all consultants home for christmas.

When are you going to study for it, straight of the bat or first a little break?

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Holy hell how do you fail once and not immediately know what to study to pass the second time? Then fail again and STILL not know how to pass it?

That's insane.

loving all the :smug: posts

very very STEM nerd like. tfs

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Race Realists posted:

loving all the :smug: posts

very very STEM nerd like. tfs

Are you offended because you failed CompTIA exams multiple times?

:gary:

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

LochNessMonster posted:

Are you offended because you failed CompTIA exams multiple times?

:gary:

nope. never taken any of them (don't have the dough plus ccna seems more worth it).

I just don't like making GBS threads on people without understanding their circumstances?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
It's not making GBS threads on someone. If you fail the Network+ three times you can not IT.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

It's not making GBS threads on someone. If you fail the Network+ three times you can not IT.

This. World needs tradesmen too.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I mean, IT is a trade though.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
If you all say so. I know for a fact that I and several people simply aren't good test takers.

it is what it is :smith:

FUN FACT: If I had a million dollars I'd go through the Guinness books for "Most Number Of Times Failed CCIE"

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 5, 2016

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Diva Cupcake posted:

I mean, IT is a trade though.

IT is not a skilled trade. Certainly not in any conventional definition I've ever heard at least.

vyst fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 5, 2016

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
It's funny to joke about computer janitors, but IT is definitely a modern, high skilled field at anywhere from entry to senior levels depending on the position and industry. It's a far cry from being a plumber or a welder because it has little to nothing in common.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

vyst posted:

IT is not a skilled trade. Certainly not in any conventional definition I've ever heard at least.

Yes it is. Did you read about Hillary Clinton's email server? The people who set it up were not very skilled. Had she hired better IT people it might never gave been an issue. Just an example of a recent scandal where cutting corners and hiring the wrong people without the knowledge needed backfired horribly.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Bigass Moth posted:

Yes it is. Did you read about Hillary Clinton's email server? The people who set it up were not very skilled. Had she hired better IT people it might never gave been an issue. Just an example of a recent scandal where cutting corners and hiring the wrong people without the knowledge needed backfired horribly.
Even if that was encrypted at 4096 every step of the way, all anyone was going to hear was "personal email server". That was never an issue of competence, only of opportunity.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Bigass Moth posted:

backfired horribly.

Head on over to D&D to find hordes of people who will argue that the system worked as designed and the IT crew managing it were competently incompetent.

But yes. A plumber knows what parts and techniques to use on a job and is practiced at implementation. Just because IT involves a lot of digital work over virtual doesn't discredit the skill required to get things done correctly. There are countless examples of unskilled hacky poo poo out there to prove the point.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

milk milk lemonade posted:

It's funny to joke about computer janitors, but IT is definitely a modern, high skilled field at anywhere from entry to senior levels depending on the position and industry. It's a far cry from being a plumber or a welder because it has little to nothing in common.

It's not a trade though. Using your instance - plumbing or welding is a trade. It is a field of study requiring highly technical knowledge, but you aren't doing poo poo with your hands in most cases other than clickity clacking a keyboard or mouse thus it is not what most people think of when they think of a "tradesman".

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
I don't think I described it as a trade?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

milk milk lemonade posted:

I don't think I described it as a trade?

Oh misinterpreted the last sentence, figured you were arguing against. My b.

Anyway, dumb derail. Grats on the N+ other dude.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Head on over to D&D to find hordes of people who will argue that the system worked as designed and the IT crew managing it were competently incompetent.

It did work as designed. Email was sent and received, as is the function of an email server.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
It can be argued that an essential email function is to store, backup, and prevent the total destruction of email to match security, compliance, and archival standards.

If my email server at work hosed right off and suddenly destroyed 30k emails to unrecoverable status I guarantee my termination paperwork will mention that I did not correctly manage the server.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Seems like their archival standards were "as long as we want to keep it".

The email server is a non issue which people with nothing else to nag about are desperately trying to turn into an issue. Didn't work.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Seems like their archival standards were "as long as we want to keep it".

The email server is a non issue which people with nothing else to nag about are desperately trying to turn into an issue. Didn't work.

The server itself was a huge problem and the emails that have come from it show an incredible amount of corruption from the highest levels. Not to be political but yes, it is a huge issue if you are following what has come from it. To go back to my original point, a more skilled IT staff that the Clintons could certainly afford would have prevented this.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Bigass Moth posted:

The server itself was a huge problem and the emails that have come from it show an incredible amount of corruption from the highest levels. Not to be political but yes, it is a huge issue if you are following what has come from it. To go back to my original point, a more skilled IT staff that the Clintons could certainly afford would have prevented this.

Quality IT people tend not to hang around political campaigns because they don't pay very much, don't develop good skills, and don't have good job security.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

psydude posted:

Quality IT people tend not to hang around political campaigns because they don't pay very much, don't develop good skills, and don't have good job security.

I'd argue that being the personal IT crew for the Clintons while Hillary is secretary of state is vastly different than signing on to a political campaign. The former sounds like it should garner a much higher paycheck and provide way better job security.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I'd argue that being the personal IT crew for the Clintons while Hillary is secretary of state is vastly different than signing on to a political campaign. The former sounds like it should garner a much higher paycheck and provide way better job security.

Maybe. I have a feeling it would have more likely come down to the kid or grandkid of someone close to the Clintons, just like basically every other politician ever.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
The person they hired to set up the server was one of the campaign staff. That is: someone other than a Google devops wizard. He probably has his Sec+ though.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Bigass Moth posted:

Nah, it's not. Beyond that, the implication that things would have been better if they'd been run on the lovely OpenNet network instead are laughable. The lesson is that government IT security is a disaster pretty much across the board.

Also, I'm not sure what the content of the emails has to do with the server they were stored on, but no one can ever actually stay in plot when talking about THE EMAIL SCANDAL so I'm not terribly surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

MrKatharsis posted:

The person they hired to set up the server was one of the campaign staff. That is: someone other than a Google devops wizard. He probably has his Sec+ though.

The original server was set up more than a decade ago. It's been through a few iterations and management was handed off to a tech firm eventually.