Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Platystemon posted:

They’re not in the same plane. They just happened to line up perfectly by coincidence.

You're giving a city council far, far too much credit.

Lol, working together... we accomplish nothing, brought to a standstill by cross purpose well meaning. Perfect metaphor for bureaucracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

im the 1% :c00lbert:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

What kind of apathetic sack of soggy noodles do you have to be to find having opinions odious??

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I see you've never worked in a right wing industry?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Blue Footed Booby posted:

What kind of apathetic sack of soggy noodles do you have to be to find having opinions odious??

im thinking those 24% are hardcore assholes that keep getting rebuffed by women and chalk it up to "politics" though its really just their own assholery

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Note the "strong opinions"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

I love political discussion but for some reason women don't want to know me.

Unrelated, but I'm against gay marriage, woman's rights, abortion, big government, minorities taking over my country and I HATE crooked Hillary.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I like that over half of people polled don't care. They really went through a lot of effort to show that the majority opinion is 'eh', and that the other two stances are both fairly close.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
People say they don't care until I start lecturing them on how they are contributing to capitalist exploitation and what form of execution I would have chosen for them as a Soviet commissar. They just don't know what a strong, principled opinion looks like.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

I don't really see anything wrong with this one, please help

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

du -hast posted:

I don't really see anything wrong with this one, please help
I really hope you're being sarcastic, but if not, let's start with how different periods of sampling are placed on the same graph as if they're directly comparable.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

LogicalFallacy posted:

I really hope you're being sarcastic, but if not, let's start with how different periods of sampling are placed on the same graph as if they're directly comparable.
They're labeled as percentages, which would indeed make them directly comparable.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Also the last one is the projected budget for just the first year of his presidency. It's a bit disingenuous to compare that to the actual average spending over the whole presidency of his predecessors.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Fathis Munk posted:

Also the last one is the projected budget for just the first year of his presidency. It's a bit disingenuous to compare that to the actual average spending over the whole presidency of his predecessors.

How else would/should one present this data if not the graph shown? I feel it's fair.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
True enough, I just assumed this graph was shown in the context of "look how great I am, spending so much more than my predecessors" but that might just be an unfair assumption. This thread has gotten me so used to dishonest use of graphs.

I guess it all depends what conclusions they drew from the graph when they showed it.

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014

Fathis Munk posted:

True enough, I just assumed this graph was shown in the context of "look how great I am, spending so much more than my predecessors" but that might just be an unfair assumption. This thread has gotten me so used to dishonest use of graphs.

I guess it all depends what conclusions they drew from the graph when they showed it.

Even if he won't actually invest as much as he promises into infrastructure, that still doesn't make the graph bad in any way. Duterte being a bad guy and the graph being bad are completely separate things.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Yes, that's why I agreed that I might have misjudged the whole thing :confused:

I feel like for this one context matters a bit more, there's nothing wrong with the graph itself but if it was used to show how much better Duterte is because he spends more on infrastructure it would in my opinion be disingenuous to compare the theoretical budget of his first year as president to the average spending across the whole presidency of others.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

This led me to https://uk.pinterest.com/davecolumbus/wtf-visualizations/

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
By 2050 we'll get 37% of our dietary needs from food! What a time to be alive!

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Note: figures for 1980 and 1990 are not shown for the sake of clarity

Also, only 42% of my diet consist of food? poo poo

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

System Metternich posted:

Note: figures for 1980 and 1990 are not shown for the sake of clarity

Also, only 42% of my diet consist of food? poo poo

You'll note they are there, but the separating lines don't go all the way around so you can only make sense of a half of each circle, lol

E: Oh, I see, there's two missing number sets.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
"Cereals, food" is probably cause their source on cereal use gave breakdowns of food use vs industrial use of cereals. Its obvious it should be cereals being eaten in context, but then who are we to say what's really obvious in context because the title lists extra years with a note saying those extra years weren't included.

E. Wait they are there and it's missing dividing lines as well as text? This chart is like an onion, man.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Having strong convictions is fine, bringing them up in every possible context and being unable to empathize with other views is not. We all know people like this.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Phlegmish posted:

Having strong convictions is fine, bringing them up in every possible context and being unable to empathize with other views is not. We all know people like this.

I probably wouldn't gently caress the crazy dude who sits next to me on the bus.

But maybe if he compares Obama to Hitler one more time!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fathis Munk posted:

Yes, that's why I agreed that I might have misjudged the whole thing :confused:

I feel like for this one context matters a bit more, there's nothing wrong with the graph itself but if it was used to show how much better Duterte is because he spends more on infrastructure it would in my opinion be disingenuous to compare the theoretical budget of his first year as president to the average spending across the whole presidency of others.

That's exactly how it was used, and why I brought it up. It was one slide in an entire presentation laying out the Duterte administration's infrastructure plans.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

In 2012 they had a ballot box?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Outrail posted:

They got turned into a ballot box!

A ballot box?!

Well, they got better...

Conartist
Aug 15, 2004

Outrail posted:

That's not Nevada.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Conartist posted:

That's not Nevada.

Arizona?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Eh, it has that diagonal thing at the bottom. Good enough. Better than other maps on CNN.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

:confused:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fuuuuuuck.
86.33% are funds for teacher raises.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I think I got it now. Everything except the raises add up to 100%. So of the 69.5% for common school districts, 86.33% is spent on raises.

A pie chart is a strange choice for representing a set and subset of data. Not sure if my terminology is right.

Edit: Whatever OK is spending on their teachers, they clearly need to spend much more.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think the size of the slices actually does make sense but it's very poorly presented - if you ignore the "86.33%" number and pretend the red slice is orange, it all works out. Then the red slice is the proportion of the total orange slice that goes towards teacher's raises (86.33% of that slice, so about 60% of the total pie).

It does fail at the #1 purpose of a chart though, which is to present information in a way that makes it easy to understand.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think the size of the slices actually does make sense but it's very poorly presented - if you ignore the "86.33%" number and pretend the red slice is orange, it all works out. Then the red slice is the proportion of the total orange slice that goes towards teacher's raises (86.33% of that slice, so about 60% of the total pie).

It does fail at the #1 purpose of a chart though, which is to present information in a way that makes it easy to understand.

The chart is absolutely succeeding at its #1 purpose. Which is to show you, the dimwitted taxpayer, how much raises for those undeserving greedy drat teachers is costing you, the hardworking taxpayer.

It's a pretty goodbad chart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Why should they get more money if they didn't even theach me how to make a sensible chart.