Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Brunom1 posted:

V Famitsu scans say that you'll, indeed, be able to choose between either Souji or Chitose as the protag; both will pilot the Vangray. The one you didn't choose will be a "sub-protagonist" but it says nothing about being a subpilot... I'm thinking something akin to Z1, in which they pilot something else and act separately.

Since the Vangray looks like a mass production real, I bet they'll also pilot a Vangray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Brunom1 posted:

V Famitsu scans say that you'll, indeed, be able to choose between either Souji or Chitose as the protag; both will pilot the Vangray. The one you didn't choose will be a "sub-protagonist" but it says nothing about being a subpilot... I'm thinking something akin to Z1, in which they pilot something else and act separately.

That's pretty neat. Not too sure about the look of the Vangray yet, we'll see if it grows on me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wonder if they'll have different upgrades.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I'm assuming it's going to be like the Brasta and have a slightly more super/melee version and a slightly more real/shooty version for upgrades. I hope the lady isn't stuck with real/shooty. Apparently custom soundtracks was confirmed on the livestream and that the special sound edition will use the songs during certain events over the instrumental versions, which I'm pretty sure means Tsubasa wo Kudasai for the Eva2.22 finale.

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
By the way, I heard that there was a patch available for Fantasy Maiden Wars P? Is it still available?
Edit: Nevermind, I found it.
In any case, here's hoping for a translation to SRW V.

GodofDiscord fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 3, 2016

KoB
May 1, 2009
p sure they already confirmed its getting english subs, they just havent mentioned a release date.

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!

EthanSteele posted:

Apparently custom soundtracks was confirmed on the livestream and that the special sound edition will use the songs during certain events over the instrumental versions, which I'm pretty sure means Tsubasa wo Kudasai for the Eva2.22 finale.

Excellent. Easiest way to have Toki wo Koete in the game.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ZuljinRaynor posted:

Excellent. Easiest way to have Toki wo Koete in the game.
Now the question becomes "Which version of the song are we getting?"

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!

AradoBalanga posted:

Now the question becomes "Which version of the song are we getting?"

I would assume that most are the full single/album versions, though I would not be surprised if StarRingChild is the movie credits version.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Brunom1 posted:

Got curious so I checked the blurbs in the trailer.

Souji: Lunar Special Strategic Research Laboratory, Guard Platoon Member
Chitose: Third Special Strategic Research Laboratory, Guard Platoon Member

Probably Earth and Space routes to start with?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ZuljinRaynor posted:

I would assume that most are the full single/album versions, though I would not be surprised if StarRingChild is the movie credits version.
Yeah, but in Toki wo Koete's case, there's several BGM versions (this version is either going to be lifted wholesale from OG or redone for V) and a couple album/anniversary vocal versions.

Who knows, maybe we'll get a 25th anniversary version of it for the special sound edition.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm FINALLY coming up on the end of my SRW3 playthrough.

Getter G is absurdly powerful, holy poo poo (Bit surprised the game actually went through with killing Musashi though, since you can save most of the other "doomed" characters). The Granzon is also absurdly good, especially since killing a boss leveled up Shu enough to get Double Act. :getin:

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!

AradoBalanga posted:

Yeah, but in Toki wo Koete's case, there's several BGM versions (this version is either going to be lifted wholesale from OG or redone for V) and a couple album/anniversary vocal versions.

Who knows, maybe we'll get a 25th anniversary version of it for the special sound edition.

Was Toki wo Koete listed under the anime song version? I saw Mizu no Hoshi e Ai wo Komete for sure (and Uchuu o Kakeru ~ Zeta no Kodou), but I was meaning that I was happy there is confirmation of custom soundtracks as that's the simplest way to get around the double licensing issue, of having to license Neil Sedaka's song first, by letting me just use my own copy of it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Raxivace posted:

I'm FINALLY coming up on the end of my SRW3 playthrough.

Getter G is absurdly powerful, holy poo poo (Bit surprised the game actually went through with killing Musashi though, since you can save most of the other "doomed" characters). The Granzon is also absurdly good, especially since killing a boss leveled up Shu enough to get Double Act. :getin:

It's maybe been ten years since I played through SRW3, but I definitely remember feeling a sense of relief when the game finally gives you some more powerful tools at the tail end of the game.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Schwarzwald posted:

It's maybe been ten years since I played through SRW3, but I definitely remember feeling a sense of relief when the game finally gives you some more powerful tools at the tail end of the game.
It definitely feels like some weird progression in terms of empowerment. Throughout most of the game I felt like I was maybe getting something actually useful for battle like, every three or four stages. In this last stretch of the game though, I'm suddenly getting multiple people with Map Attacks, several heavy hitters like the Getter G, plenty of people now with Double Act etc.

Like early to midgame felt reasonably tough to me, even with the shameful infinite money cheat I used, and now I'm getting flashbacks to when I played Z2.2.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Omfg the second to last stage of SRW3 is such bullshit. I'm pretty sure that Wendolo and his Dikastis have literally infinite HP, as if being able to one-shot most of my guys wasn't enough. But hey that makes the game too easy apparently, might as well give him like 15 units of reinforcements on turn 5, including several bosses like Paptimus and Sara. :shepface:

This game is evil. It lured me into a false sense of security before beating me back the gently caress down right at the very end. Luckily I know that if I somehow can kill Wendolo before Paptimus and his crew arrives I can skip them outright to clear the stage...the problem with that though is that I'm not sure I can clear everything before Wendolo without abusing spirits.

EDIT: After some more failed attempts, I'm not sure this is even mathematically possible for me to clear.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 6, 2016

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Raxivace posted:

Omfg the second to last stage of SRW3 is such bullshit.

I have no advice to give, but for your effort at trying to beat SRW3, I salute you.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I appreciate it. :)

I'm getting pretty stumped here though. Maybe if I had more than two usages of Supply I could get through with Map Attack spamming, but that would require redoing the entire game again to properly set up for. That way I might be able clear this first wave of enemies more easily...though right now, I'm a bit stumped on how to deal with these assholes that wait on the other side of the map, never move, and just hit me with ranged funnel attacks and the like. It takes me like two turns just to get over to them.

The bosses in this initial wave are still posing a problem, but to kill them without draining my SP takes too much time until Wendolo appears. And if I spend too much getting him with his bullshit powers to spawn, then Scirocco and his goons strolls in anyways and will pick off whatever forces I still have around.

Maybe I should just forego the whole "clear in 5 turns" idea altogether, wait it out until Scirocco spawns and (Slowly) try taking him and the initial wave of enemies out, and then going after Wendolo. It would be a pain in the rear end but I'm running out of things to try. That strategy still might be a big drain on resources, but I might be able to recover from that with some clever usage of parking units in the Ra Cailum and running around the map.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I apologize for the second double post in a row, but I've done it. I've finished SRW3!

For the second to last stage, I ended up being right about having to take things slowly, wasting turns on recharging, and I had to fight off Scirocco and his forces before spawning Wendolo. I actually a slightly easier time here than I expected, since Mekiboz, Sikalog, and Agirha didn't even move from their spot until I intentionally aggro'd them with Ryune's Rage. Once Wendolo himself spawned, it was just a matter of spamming all of my strongest attacks with Valor or whatever the hell it is called in this patch. Finally, I Double Tomahawk'd that little fucker to death (I had just barely run out of enough Will to not be able to use Shine Spark :(). Took me 23 turns on this map (Compared to the 5 turns that was my initial, foolish plan) but I did it.

Afterwards I had a low enough turn count to get to the special bonus stage where you fight the Neo Granzon (Plus two Valsions. I guess Shu had some friends he just didn't think to invite to battle before now?). Didn't take any special strategy- again just spamming my best attacks since only three enemies were on-screen. Lot of HP on that guy though, and he hits pretty hard, particularly when he used two Map attacks in a row. Final turn count was 309.

I'm glad I played SRW3, though I don't think I'll ever play through the entire thing again. I think I'll play SRWJ next- anything I should know about it?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
When you think you're done with a chapter, you're not done with it. There'll be reinforcements, and then reinforcements.

Also I don't remember if this is true in J, but at least in Moon Dwellers, Calvina is better than Touya.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Senerio posted:

When you think you're done with a chapter, you're not done with it. There'll be reinforcements, and then reinforcements.

Also I don't remember if this is true in J, but at least in Moon Dwellers, Calvina is better than Touya.

Unfortunately it's less true in J because it has a hosed-up targeting mechanic where if you're too good at dodging enemies won't even attack you which actually fucks up a lot of units.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Technically Touya has better Will gains and spirits but Calvina is totally fine. Just make sure you pick Granteed or Vorlent because the Reals are bad for the reason ImpAtom brought up.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Raxivace posted:

I'm glad I played SRW3, though I don't think I'll ever play through the entire thing again. I think I'll play SRWJ next- anything I should know about it?

The biggest mistake you can make in SRWJ is maxing Mobility on a dodgy unit. Never give a unit so much mobility that enemies can't actually hit it.
One late game tip is to send one or two of your strongest units (probably the OG unit) to any conspicuously empty corners of the map, to get a one-up on the inevitable reinforcements.

Aside from that, there isn't much. Most units are viable through out the game, aside from maybe Venus Ace and Diana Ace.

WrightOfWay posted:

Technically Touya has better Will gains and spirits but Calvina is totally fine. Just make sure you pick Granteed or Vorlent because the Reals are bad for the reason ImpAtom brought up.

The Coustwell is excellent in J. It has about the perfect amount of mobility where it can avoid hits, but enemies will still target it.

I've never played with the Bellzelute, though.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 8, 2016

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Schwarzwald posted:

The biggest mistake you can make in SRWJ is maxing Mobility on a dodgy unit. Never give a unit so much mobility that enemies can't actually hit it.

If you max out everyone, it gets to the point where the AI just switches off, especially against enemies with low accuracy.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

GilliamYaeger posted:

If you max out everyone, it gets to the point where the AI just switches off, especially against enemies with low accuracy.

And then they just throw themselves at your battleship. This is great when its the Nadesico, as fully upgraded its a beast.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hunter Noventa posted:

And then they just throw themselves at your battleship. This is great when its the Nadesico, as fully upgraded its a beast.

The Nadesico is basically a super.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

Unfortunately it's less true in J because it has a hosed-up targeting mechanic where if you're too good at dodging enemies won't even attack you which actually fucks up a lot of units.
Huh, I didn't know that about J. So you can't park a low hp but unhittably fast unit near the enemies and watch them all pointlessly attack it forever? Do any other games work like that?

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Having SRWJ be my first SRW game was a poor choice because I thought it was just common practice to throw your battleship into a horde of enemies and the refuel it at the the start of the next turn.

>_>

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

With the series they have in V it is going to be a bummer if they can't get battleships right.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Huh, I didn't know that about J. So you can't park a low hp but unhittably fast unit near the enemies and watch them all pointlessly attack it forever? Do any other games work like that?

J is the only one that frigged up. Other games have weird mechanics but not "we won't attack a unit" mechanics.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Ethiser posted:

With the series they have in V it is going to be a bummer if they can't get battleships right.

Hope they don't use the Z3 system then. Personally, I'd like them to use something like the Z system. Most of the formations are already V-shaped! You could replace Tri Formation with a spearhead formation where the leader is at the front and recast Center as a defensive formation.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Caphi posted:

Hope they don't use the Z3 system then. Personally, I'd like them to use something like the Z system. Most of the formations are already V-shaped! You could replace Tri Formation with a spearhead formation where the leader is at the front and recast Center as a defensive formation.
I asked before, but how many main characters does that Crossange or whatever show have? It could be a hint to platoon size.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

ImpAtom posted:

J is the only one that frigged up. Other games have weird mechanics but not "we won't attack a unit" mechanics.

Yeah it easily gets to the point where you just have Layzner sitting somewhere completely surrounded by enemies that want to move up next to him but never attack. Go all supers in J with no mobility upgrades and have a wild time. Go all reals and max mobility and every stage is even longer than normal for J (which is really long) as you have to kill each enemy on your own turn because you never get to counterattack anything.

Caphi posted:

I'm 99% certain it's gonna be the Z3 engine and system again, but we might get lucky and get a cheeky Z. Tri formation as Centre but inverted would be a good way of getting that to fit the V shape.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

EthanSteele posted:

I'm 99% certain it's gonna be the Z3 engine and system again, but we might get lucky and get a cheeky Z. Tri formation as Centre but inverted would be a good way of getting that to fit the V shape.

Augh Z3 twins were so bad though.

I'm pretty sure the trailer attacks had some splash-looking effects included so there's probably going to be some grouping.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

J sounds bizarre.

Is there like a ballpark amount of accuracy I should be looking toward getting to?

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
All the stuff so far with the Yamato just makes me wish that the fake LOGH SRW-like was real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykZkAp2Z3qo

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Caphi posted:

Got curious so I checked the blurbs in the trailer.

Souji: Lunar Special Strategic Research Laboratory, Guard Platoon Member
Chitose: Third Special Strategic Research Laboratory, Guard Platoon Member

Probably Earth and Space routes to start with?

Third, as in third planet in the solar system? Sounds about right.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
That's a bit of a leap. It could just be the third lab.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I asked before, but how many main characters does that Crossange or whatever show have? It could be a hint to platoon size.

According to Dr. Google, it's 7. Have fun with that math.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Raxivace posted:

J sounds bizarre.

Is there like a ballpark amount of accuracy I should be looking toward getting to?

No accuracy upgrades except when fully upgrading weaponry.

In unrelated news,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W1zXHacwDE
I think Siiva's a bit confused on whose theme this is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Broken Loose posted:

Third, as in third planet in the solar system? Sounds about right.

I didn't add or omit anything, it's just the third lab. Like, there are at least two more. And "on the moon" is its own category.

• Locked thread