Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

its me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Waverhouse posted:

But why go through all the trouble of making Bernard be a host this whole time? The scene where you see Bernard talking to his wife about their dead son is done in a way to parallel how Dolores talks about her own sense of loss. We are meant to believe that Dolores is becoming more human because she expressing something similar to Bernards real human emotion. If Bernard is a robot, that connection gets messed up.

Besides, what does Bernard being a host really buy us, story-wise? Arnold is still alive somehow in the hosts brains, Ford tells Dolores as much, we don't need a replica of him around also for this Arnold = ghost in the machine idea to still work. Also: if we're going to accept this whole idea that Bernard is a host, then we don't need AI or another host to explain away his wife: you could just say Ford is implanting all these false memories in his head. That introduces the possibility that we can't really trust any of the scenes that Bernard is in because they might be implanted memories because the writers want to say "Have you questioned the nature of your reality?" with jazz hands and a spooky voice.

I'm putting my money on the idea that HBO is above a Shyamalan level twist.

You're right, but it's a problem I'm seeing with most of the story by now. What does William probably being the MiB buy us, story-wise? Why go through the hassle of aggressively nebulous or deceptive storytelling to preserve the two timeframes gimmick? Why tell the narrative in a way that the motivations and development of characters can't be understood from scene-to-scene due to their scenes being scattered like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle?

Honestly I think this is a case of a show thinking it's a lot smarter than its audience and wanted to prove it with tricks and twists. If everything goes the way it looks like it will I'll wish there was a Ford that could've listened to the pitch and said ".................No."

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I could say other things... But I am enjoining this....

Well played Time Warner and HBO, well played.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Maeve: you better decrease my loyalty because gently caress you lol

Sylvester: oh uhh humm maybe justttt maby crazy robot lady is gonna try and kill us when i give her super strength and super intelligence sooo im gonna mash loyalty +5, yea that sounds like a good idea.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Set intelligence to 20 set loyalty to 20 ok now tell me how to get rich???

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Junkfist posted:

Set intelligence to 20 set loyalty to 20 ok now tell me how to get rich???

Loyalty denotes that someone has a reason to trust you.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Crash74 posted:

Maeve: you better decrease my loyalty because gently caress you lol

Sylvester: oh uhh humm maybe justttt maby crazy robot lady is gonna try and kill us when i give her super strength and super intelligence sooo im gonna mash loyalty +5, yea that sounds like a good idea.

In the final scene of the series, Maeve smugly recites the two timeframe theory straight to camera. We then flashback to Sylvester setting INT to "sub-tard"

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I hope they don't go the Deckard is a replicant route. It's pretty played out in this genre and it's more interesting focusing on the differences between humans and their human-like creations, in my opinion.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

VendaGoat posted:

I could say other things... But I am enjoining this....

I am a sucker for sci-fi/AI stuff so I am enjoying it too.

That said, the loving idiots making the robots smarter deserve a Darwin award. I would have dialed her intelligence down to 'reddit poster' or at least 'SA poster'. Failing that I would have run up a staircase to the guy who has the gun, because we all know that robots and stairs.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

unlawfulsoup posted:

I am a sucker for sci-fi/AI stuff so I am enjoying it too.

That said, the loving idiots making the robots smarter deserve a Darwin award. I would have dialed her intelligence down to 'reddit poster' or at least 'SA poster'. Failing that I would have run up a staircase to the guy who has the gun, because we all know that robots and stairs.

And you and I would have been weeding out from the embryo. :)

Funny how that works.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Deleted

Fooz fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 7, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Useless Rabbit posted:

I'm pretty sure that was a nod to the original Westworld movie. It looked posed just like Yul Brenner here.

Yeah, I figure it's just a Easter Egg, but it also ties the show to the original movie which is interesting. Johnathan Nolan is super great at getting all these tiny details into the shows he does so I wouldn't be surprised if the first movie was the incident.

Also, this show kindof maybe has the same plot as Beyond Westworld where there's a scientist trying to take over the world.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Nov 7, 2016

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The piano covers are pretty good, but I'll be jazzed as gently caress if we get more Elmer Berstein'd covers of contemporary hits like "Paint it Black" was goddamn.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I wonder if ford is trying to destroy the maze through his canyon moving project. Big question is how adversarial he is towards Arnold. Also what happened with Wyatt geographically? He and his goons hosed Teddy up but now he's south of the border?

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Nov 7, 2016

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Deleted

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I don't think the Maze is a physical place within the park. I think the Maze is a way for the hosts to gain full sentience , but Ford stopped his partner from fully implementing it or he did implement it the Hosts went crazy killed guests , Dolores is used by Ford to Kill Arnold. , Ford keeps Dolores around because of this.

The Maze is the park itself not some place within the park. If you notice at the center of the maze is a person then the Maze moves outward from there. It's not a journey inward but outward. The center of the maze represents the Hosts starting point.

I mean it literally has the Maze sitting on top of the Hosts skull. That puts them at the center of the maze.

So let's talk about mazes.

Probably the most well known is of Theseus and the Minotaur along with the story of the Labyrinth

Also, the host have a bicameral mind.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 7, 2016

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

feedmyleg posted:

Man, having the computer reveal the excess aberrant park specimens is straight out of the Jurassic Park novel.

That they should stop counting when they hit the expected number of dinosaurs is such a hilarious failure.

override367 posted:

Interesting historical note on this, the nuclear codes were set to 00000000 for 20 years,

No they weren't, the final combination lock was set to all zeros because it was in a secure area behind a key so adding it was stupid and redundant.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Gay Horney posted:

I wonder if ford is trying to destroy the maze through his canyon moving project. Big question is how adversarial he is towards Arnold. Also what happened with Wyatt geographically? He and his goons hosed Teddy up but now he's south of the border?

Was Wyatt with the men Teddy got bodied by? They were his men, but was he there?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

If you take what Teddy said at face value, then Yul Brynner is at the center of a labyrinth and if Dolores can find him, he will gently caress up everyone in the park.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
Think I'm pretty much done with this show.

Convoluted, muddled storytelling is not the same thing as a smart complex narrative, and Westworld is firmly in the former.
The more time they spend on the people running the park, the more you realize how utterly boring and lame everyone except Anthony Hopkins is.

It really feels like a first draft that they never had time to polish, with key moments that should be a really big deal falling flat.
Like Maeve seeing the robot manufacturing stuff, that should be a huge emotional sequence (and based on the setup in the pilot, you'd expect Dolores to get that moment), but it's glossed over way too quickly as just another plot beat (and on top of that the whole time you're distracted by how stupid the techs are, and how it makes no sense that they aren't immediately caught).

I've given it the benefit of the doubt, but its 6 hours in, and they still haven't done a good job of laying out the rules of how the park works, so you have no baseline to ground things.
I see no way they're going to tie up the million loose ends they've introduced at this point. People are setting themselves up for disappointment.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

bullet3 posted:

Convoluted, muddled storytelling is not the same thing as a smart complex narrative, and Westworld is firmly in the former.
The more time they spend on the people running the park, the more you realize how utterly boring and lame everyone except Anthony Hopkins is.

It really feels like a first draft that they never had time to polish, with key moments that should be a really big deal falling flat.
Like Maeve seeing the robot manufacturing stuff, that should be a huge emotional sequence (and based on the setup in the pilot, you'd expect Dolores to get that moment), but it's glossed over way too quickly as just another plot beat (and on top of that the whole time you're distracted by how stupid the techs are, and how it makes no sense that they aren't immediately caught).

I've given it the benefit of the doubt, but its 6 hours in, and they still haven't done a good job of laying out the rules of how the park works, so you have no baseline to ground things.
I see no way they're going to tie up the million loose ends they've introduced at this point. People are setting themselves up for disappointment.

Bye dingus.

Best episode since 2 or 3. Still don't get why the techs went along with Maeve, but whatever, I can deal.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
(repeats to himself) "If you want to enjoy the show, let them work their magic."

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

bullet3 posted:

It's already under delivering for me a little bit and I do think I'm goin to be disappointed but a lovely ending won't retroactively make the good episodes we've seen so far worse.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I stand by the belief that the Maze is not a place within the park, but the park itself.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Deleted

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah I just don't believe that there is a literal maze that Arnold built in the park.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Hollismason posted:

Yeah I just don't believe that there is a literal maze that Arnold built in the park.

You've posted about it three times on this page. You are now entering a deep and dreamless slumber

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Gay Horney posted:

You've posted about it three times on this page. You are now entering a deep and dreamless slumber

*resets your rear end in a top hat level to 1*

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Deleted

Fooz fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Nov 7, 2016

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Hollismason posted:

*resets your rear end in a top hat level to 1*

How many assholes can a robot have? We have the technology, let's keep adding them!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I don't think Bernard is Arnold. You would think that if that was the case, someone would have noticed. Especially if Ford keeps a picture of him at his desk.

I do think that some of the conversations that we've seen Dolores have with Bernard are her talking to Arnold, and that's how Arnold's program works. His ghost taking form in someone else.

Though it is interesting that right after Bernard meets Ford's family, that Arnold tells young Ford to kill his dog. That seems like a shot at Ford to try and hurt or scare him.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Huh, so Dolores isn't woke at all. I hope Maeve is.

Makes the two timeframes/Will=MiB make a bit more sense if Will figures out that Dolores and the other hosts are just being told to do by "Arnold".

I still really hope that isn't the case and there's only one timeframe.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I'm annoyed they did the "character gasps at some revelation in darkened room then hears a noise and gets grabbed/killed" thing

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Deleted

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Fooz posted:

Yeah it seems like a great big westworld treasure hunt so far. I didn't know anyone thought there was a literal maze.
People are dumb. Westworld is cool. Haters gonna hate.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

There's no reason to really make the hosts look human so I won't be surprised if we get to see some hosts with extra limbs and hybrids of animals in the future. Like why not just make a host have just like 8 breasts. Also, if the host technology is that level you know the ultra rich probably just have custom made gently caress bots with vaginas and assholes every where.

Japanworld is probably like that with just dick fingers and all that.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I noticed the two timelines speculations got silently dropped this evening. Nay, assholes. We will not forget.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Hollismason posted:

There's no reason to really make the hosts look human so I won't be surprised if we get to see some hosts with extra limbs and hybrids of animals in the future. Like why not just make a host have just like 8 breasts. Also, if the host technology is that level you know the ultra rich probably just have custom made gently caress bots with vaginas and assholes every where.

Japanworld is probably like that with just dick fingers and all that.

dinosaurs

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

El Jeffe posted:

dinosaurs

8 breasts on a dinosaur covered with anuses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

8 breasts on a dinosaur covered with anuses?

All your wildest dreams

• Locked thread