Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Dr. Quarex posted:

Hahaha. I appreciate the advice; I know I got that from a Humble Bundle, possibly the same one as you. Which I see also included Paranautical Activity and Teleglitch. Well, Teleglitch was fun at least!

I just want to say that I'm glad you finally got your doctorate :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I just want to say that I'm glad you finally got your doctorate :golfclap:
GBS, PHD

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

What should I know before playing Tugs of the Tugster? It's a fairly obscure old game but it's kind of intimidating going in blind
It is nigh-unplayable without the Deepwater Tugtown expansion installed, but good luck even finding a :filez: version of that, let alone a legitimate copy.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

Hahaha. I appreciate the advice; I know I got that from a Humble Bundle, possibly the same one as you. Which I see also included Paranautical Activity and Teleglitch. Well, Teleglitch was fun at least!

It was from a bundle a few years ago actually, it may have been from an indie royale bundle or whatever the other bundle site was called at the time. All I know is it was part of the bundle on its launch day and legitimately had me interested until I actually played it.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE
Any tips for Titanfall 2 MP?

I bought it this morning and I'm getting my rear end handed to me. It's partly because I never touched the first game, but there's so many abilities and cool-downs to juggle.

PC version if that matters.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Gimme some hot tips for Invisible, Inc. please and thanks!

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

What's the best game in the Descent series?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

But Not Tonight posted:

Gimme some hot tips for Invisible, Inc. please and thanks!

pretty sure this is answered a couple pages back

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Heran Bago posted:

Descent I is the best in terms of level design. Descent II adds more weapons, more enemies, bigger bosses and your own guidebot. You really can do no wrong choosing either of the first two games.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Tollymain posted:

pretty sure this is answered a couple pages back

Yep, sure was. Thanks, despite it only being two things.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

But Not Tonight posted:

There's a bunch of stuff in the wiki too. My personal advice: don't be afraid to fail, and don't be afraid to tinker with campaign options. And play on the harder difficulties, it's where the game is balanced around and really shines.

E: for example, if you want to really play around with what you can and can't get away with, give yourself 99 retries and go nuts. But once you get a good grasp on the game, take your safety net away and learn to improvise.

BrightWing fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 31, 2016

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE
Crossposting some multiplayer tips for Titanfall 2:

victrix posted:

1) Use all dem guns. Some are definitely better than others, but cycle through them until you find some that feel good to you personally, because a lot depends on your playstyle. If you're constantly aggro and rushing, you're probably going to favor SMGs or shotties over ARs or LMGs.

2) Charge Cannon/Archer deal more damage (charge in particular if you hit crit points), but the MGL and Thunderbolt are safer to use because you can duck in and out of cover firing them. The Charge cannon requires pinpoint accuracy and you need to stay in the open to land the shot, same deal with the lock for the Archer and it alerts Titans you're locking. I personally prefer the MGL but it has limited range so the charge/archer are better on wide open long range maps (hello Homestead).

3) Lots of boosts are good. I favor Amped weapons if I'm pilot focused, spare battery if I want to go ham with my Titan, or Map Hack if I just want my team to win. Dice roll is both fun and pretty useful, since it often gives you a more expensive boost quickly.

4) All the Titans are good, Tone is gooder than the rest for various reasons (partly because pubbies can't deal with dash and shield together). If you have specific questions about specific Titans, ask em.

Crit points are the glowing red areas on Titans, many weapons deal bonus damage if you hit crit points, some weapons are made for it (Northstars rifle, the charge cannon, several grenadier guns, even LMGs can do solid damage if you hit crits).

Running and jumping like a moron while shooting dudes is the correct and good way to play. Learn to chain slides into jumps into wallruns into slides again and you can haul rear end through maps. Avoid rooftops unless you're using a long range gun, you stand out to pilots and titans. Use alleys, low walls, and map edges to move around the map quickly and safely.

If you're having problems with the Titan stage of the game, try using Stim or Cloak. Both will let you close the distance with Titans quickly and safely. You need to master the movement so you can close with Titans out of sight and faster than they can spot you.

The whole Titan vs Pilot thing is total cat and mouse. They can kill you with a single melee swing, step on you, or shoot you with a variety of one shots, but you can move in many places they cannot, and you're harder to spot (again, unless you're standing on a roof charging your cannon).

Unlock the Low Profile perk, it removes the clank clunk clunk noises you make when rodeoing a Titan, and use Arc grenades to blind Titans, both make stealing batteries easier. Steal a battery to get 66% of your Titan charge, deposit it in a friendly titan to get the remaining 33%. One successful battery hijack gives you your boost and your Titan in one go, so its worth learning how to do.

If the situation isn't safe for a rodeo (big Titan brawl, alert Titan watching an area), learn to use the anti-titan weapons to gently caress them up. Use buildings, windows, hard cover and distance to protect yourself.

And of course, depending on the mode, you don't necessarily even need to engage in anti-Titan antics, if there is AI to kill or an objective to cover, you can kill AI and other pilots to get your Titan charge while staying away from enemy Titans.

Pubbies are generally fairly awful at anti-pilot Titan usage, so once you get good with the movement and have the right kit to help you fight them, you can be just as much of a threat to Titans on foot as in your Titan.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Anyone playing Guilty Gear Xrd REVELATOR should know you can unlock Raven through the fishing minigame and don't need to grind 200.000 W$. Granted, I don't think you're technically guaranteed to get him for less this way, but considering fishing is 200 a pop, your chances are pretty good. It took maybe 40.000 for me. Same goes for Elphelt's alternate design.

Also play the tutorials and watch Story Mode for a ton of easy fishing cash.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

But Not Tonight posted:

The post right under that one also has some good stuff

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

Anyone playing Guilty Gear Xrd REVELATOR should know you can unlock Raven through the fishing minigame and don't need to grind 200.000 W$. Granted, I don't think you're technically guaranteed to get him for less this way, but considering fishing is 200 a pop, your chances are pretty good. It took maybe 40.000 for me. Same goes for Elphelt's alternate design.

Also play the tutorials and watch Story Mode for a ton of easy fishing cash.

Guilty Gear... fishing game?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah wtf happened to guilty gear exactly

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Its just a little minigame guys nothing to get concerned about.

Guilty Gear Xrd is really good and is the same kinda fighting game every Guilty Gear is. They tossed in a few extra modes to try to add more content, whatevs.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I miss Chess Kombat. :saddowns:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Anything for Momodora: Reverie In Moonlight? I'm mostly concerned with missable collectibles and stuff.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I don't believe there are any missable items that you should aim for on your first time through. Every area stays open and you can backtrack and explore as you please. Some items, and the game itself, requires it.

The only items that are missable you receive by beating bosses without being hit. Like I said, not something I'd recommend trying on your first time through, but they're there if you want to.

Momodora 3 has my favorite boss in this kind of game and is a really good game on top of that. Make sure to explore around and talk to everyone you can until they start repeating themselves. Enjoy!

Onean fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 3, 2016

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Heran Bago posted:

Descent 3 is not really spoken about by anyone who enjoyed 1 and 2 though. In fact I believe that when it came out the PC Gamer review was instead a Dear John letter.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Anything for Zombi on the PC?

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Just picked up Lisa: The Painful RPG on the steam sale, any tips?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Don't stress about choices or consequences. The game is designed to be, well, painful. Embrace the pain, in the end you'll get through it fine and have an overall cooler experience.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

MMF Freeway posted:

Don't stress about choices or consequences. The game is designed to be, well, painful. Embrace the pain, in the end you'll get through it fine and have an overall cooler experience.

Off-topic but that's such an interesting exercise in trying to get players to unlearn that video games are about constant rewards (new gear, new abilities, etc.). Gonna have to give Lisa another shot.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

anilEhilated posted:

Anything for Momodora: Reverie In Moonlight? I'm mostly concerned with missable collectibles and stuff.

smack her in the titties

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
Anything for Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition?

Good guides, builds, advice or walkthroughs, specifically for EE?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Anything for Clockwork Empires?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kalenden posted:

The info on wiki still stands; off the top of my head the only important thing it doesn't tell you is that there's four companions of which you can pick two to round up your party, and they're all in the first town. The thief is a bit hard to find, you need to dig a tunnel in the graveyard to meet him - all the others you'll most likely meet just by questing.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Kalenden posted:

- Summons are great meatshields, occasionally useful damage dealers and a handy way of getting to things you cannot reach directly.
- The spell "Rain" is very useful. Wide area and allows you to put out burning things. DOS likes burning things.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Anything for Rise of the Phoenix?

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Anything for Clockwork Empires?

This for me too, since I saw it release recently.

Also on a similar but unrelated note: Did they fix the fps issues?

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

I picked up Dark Souls 2 a while back, and I'm finally going to play it. I played the first one, so I have a decent idea what I'm getting into, but are there any big must-avoid pitfalls with character creation or other things that could screw me 50 hours later?

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

The Leck posted:

I picked up Dark Souls 2 a while back, and I'm finally going to play it. I played the first one, so I have a decent idea what I'm getting into, but are there any big must-avoid pitfalls with character creation or other things that could screw me 50 hours later?

In my experience, a pure sorcerer build is hard to do, since a hexer or spellsword ultimately does better in the long run. Pyromancy now scales on both INT and FTH rather than just the level of your pyromancy flame if you decide to go that route. Otherwise, pretty much any build is viable, including the dual-wield powerstance builds.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

The Leck posted:

The only major thing that comes to mind is that your Agility determines how many invincibility frames your rolls have, so if you intend to dodge things it's a good idea to level up your Adaptability until your Agility is at least 88 at minimum and 99 at maximum.

Other than that, blunt weapons are the most universally useful weapon type (although you can finish the game fine with most weapons), riposting humanoid enemies now requires waiting until they fall prone from your parry before you go for it, and durability degradation is a bigger issue than in the first one (especially at 60 FPS assuming they never fixed that), although all durability is now automatically restored at bonfires unless the item's completely broken.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

The Leck posted:

Don't ignore ADP. It isn't the new RES.
Strike weapons = PVE supremacy, Poking and Katanas = PVP supremacy
Pure Faith builds are garbage. Pure Sorc/Hex builds do pretty well until the DLC, and then they are garbage.
Avoid Covenant of Champions unless you already know what you're doing. Do use Covenant of Champions to keep soul and item farms from disappearing instead of ascetic-ing the bonfire.
As you emerge into Majula, there will be a point you can hop down the right-hand cliff. Down here are the Binoculars, a Priest's Talisman, and a Morningstar(!)
There's a bit of debate as to worthlessness of backstabs and parrying in DS2, but it is somewhere between "kind of worthless" and "almost completely worthless." Poking and counter-poking are the key in this game.
On the other hand: it is very easy and very worth it to parry The Pursuer. This is doubly recommended where you can shoot him with a ballista.
There is no Red Eye Orb. Cracked Red Eye Orbs are limited - you can find or buy about 15, they drop from Salamanders, Torturers and the Majula piggies, and you can win them in BoB duels. There is also no Blue Eye Orb, but no one likes those covenants anyway, so who cares.
----SCHOLAR OF THE FIRST SIN STUFF---
You will need to come back with a Fragrant Branch to unfreeze the guy in front of what used to be the 3rd tutorial door. This means no sex change coffin until then. I'm sorry.
Heide Knights in Heide will not aggro until you hit them, or until you beat Dragonrider.
You need to have killed both Vendrick and the Ancient Dragon to fight the real Final Boss.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You want to be capable of consistently dealing physical damage to do well in the DLC; magic types have a really hard time in them. Blunt weapons are the best; if you want to go easymode, just get yourself a mace.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

The Leck posted:

The biggest 2 changes I can think of:

Each enemy in a zone has 10 (I think?) lives, so if you kill him that many times, he won't respawn the next time you warp in. If you're stuck on a boss it can sometimes be worth it to wipe out all the enemies on the path to the boss, so they don't bother you any more. If you've farmed out an enemy and you want to bring him back, you can do it by burning a Bonfire Ascetic in the area's bonfire, this will reset all the enemies, including the boss, but will also raise their difficulty as if you were in New Game+.

You can now be invaded at any time, not just when you're human.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Regulation Size posted:

You need to have killed both Vendrick and the Ancient Dragon to fight the real Final Boss.

Only the first of those, though beating the second of those makes the first of those an easier fight. I speak from experience having just run through the game in co-op about two months back; I beat both bosses, my buddy only beat the first, we both got to fight the real final boss.

You also have to have had a number of NPC chats along the way, but so long as you've lit all four great-soul-boss primal bonfires and have been sensibly lighting bonfires in the rest of the game afterward, you'll get those automatically. (You can more easily miss out on primal bonfires though, especially the one after The Rotten since the door leading from the boss room to that one blends in pretty drat well.)

Gerblyn posted:

If you've farmed out an enemy and you want to bring him back, you can do it by burning a Bonfire Ascetic in the area's bonfire, this will reset all the enemies, including the boss, but will also raise their difficulty as if you were in New Game+.

As noted in the other reply, joining the Covenant of Champions will let you farm to your heart's content as even farmed-out despawned enemies will respawn just fine. Switch to another covenant (or no covenant) when you're done farming the specific enemy you want to farm, and it'll go back to being gone and out of your hair. (I don't know if you can farm things out as CoC - that is, if it wasn't farmed-out before, then you kill it a shitload as CoC, would it be farmed-out afterward? Depends on whether CoC freezes the counter in addition to ignoring its effects, I guess.)

Anyway, my addition: like with the first Dark Souls, the DLC content is notably better than the base-game content, especially when it comes to interesting level design. Each DLC has a Designated Co-op Area, and in all three cases you can safely ignore those because they varyingly suck. (Okay, the trio boss is kinda interesting, albeit unrewarding. The second and third DLC's Designated Co-op Bosses, on the other hand, are very uninspired.)

Vil fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Nov 8, 2016

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Vil posted:

You also have to have had a number of NPC chats along the way, but so long as you've lit all four great-soul-boss primal bonfires and have been sensibly lighting bonfires in the rest of the game afterward, you'll get those automatically. (You can more easily miss out on primal bonfires though, especially the one after The Rotten since the door leading from the boss room to that one blends in pretty drat well.)

My most valued message was simply pointing that door and saying "Here!". It's very hard to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Regulation Size posted:

Don't ignore ADP. It isn't the new RES.
Strike weapons = PVE supremacy, Poking and Katanas = PVP supremacy
Pure Faith builds are garbage. Pure Sorc/Hex builds do pretty well until the DLC, and then they are garbage.
Avoid Covenant of Champions unless you already know what you're doing. Do use Covenant of Champions to keep soul and item farms from disappearing instead of ascetic-ing the bonfire.
As you emerge into Majula, there will be a point you can hop down the right-hand cliff. Down here are the Binoculars, a Priest's Talisman, and a Morningstar(!)
There's a bit of debate as to worthlessness of backstabs and parrying in DS2, but it is somewhere between "kind of worthless" and "almost completely worthless." Poking and counter-poking are the key in this game.
On the other hand: it is very easy and very worth it to parry The Pursuer. This is doubly recommended where you can shoot him with a ballista.
There is no Red Eye Orb. Cracked Red Eye Orbs are limited - you can find or buy about 15, they drop from Salamanders, Torturers and the Majula piggies, and you can win them in BoB duels. There is also no Blue Eye Orb, but no one likes those covenants anyway, so who cares.
----SCHOLAR OF THE FIRST SIN STUFF---
You will need to come back with a Fragrant Branch to unfreeze the guy in front of what used to be the 3rd tutorial door. This means no sex change coffin until then. I'm sorry.
Heide Knights in Heide will not aggro until you hit them, or until you beat Dragonrider.

You don't need to kill the ancient dragon.