Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sakura, Cody, Dudley, Alex, and Yun are my fav SF chars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Zand posted:

i was thinking more about his design in a gameplay sense than his aesthetic

if you're talking about bad aesthetics, how is necalli fine at all? angry monkey man with the roman numeral "V" covering his face and body because he is in SF"V" is pretty uninspired to say the least

Well, more than that he emphasizes the v-trigger mechanic in how viscerally his design changes. In that sense I appreciate his design.

EDIT: Like, his design isn't offensive to me. It's a bit all over the place and on the nose with the v-shaped scars as you say, but there's more visual interest going on there than Rufus.

I would have preferred the earlier Rufus design.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 7, 2016

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

Guile

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

In Training posted:

What's everyone's favorite SF character design? Most of mine are from III because I love the sprites in that game

skullomania

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

My favorite design is Gief cause his design is just straight to the point: he's just a big badass dude in a red diaper that can rip you apart with as much effort as opening a bag of chips.

I wish he would wear that cape he had in Alpha though. :(

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Gief needs his Alpha cape as much as SFV needs more oompf. Winning in SFV just doesn't feel rewarding.

Snake_in_a_box
Aug 26, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING AN LP SUPERSTAR
My favorite SF character design is Makoto; both aesthetically and mechanically. It helps that she's probably the least overtly sexualized female SF character.

Snake_in_a_box fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Nov 7, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

In Training posted:

What's everyone's favorite SF character design? Most of mine are from III because I love the sprites in that game

You get one guess. :v:

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013
Good: Remy, Chun-Li, Yun, Sagat, original Juri, Skullomania
Bad: C. Viper, Blanka, Sakura

ZWZ
May 6, 2007

Homerun
Necalli aesthetic is inspired by a pillarman from Jojos and is perfect in that respect.

Juri from sf4 was my favorite and its kind of a shame that character design is just gone forever since any game featuring her going forward will probably have her really boring sfv design of having bad specials that become average specials once she stores them with no real interesting decisions being made since you don't have to give up any buttons to store specials.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Ken has grow on me visually but his face is still borked.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
good: Ramon, Clark, Vanessa, Benimaru, Vice, Terry, Maxima, Leona, Yamazaki, Shen Woo, King, Raiden, Claw Iori from 13
bad: Kyo, Chris, Kensou, Robert, Mr Karate from 13, K9999, Athena, Kim, Choi, non-claw Iori

wait

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

ZWZ posted:

Necalli aesthetic is inspired by a pillarman from Jojos and is perfect in that respect.

Juri from sf4 was my favorite and its kind of a shame that character design is just gone forever since any game featuring her going forward will probably have her really boring sfv design of having bad specials that become average specials once she stores them with no real interesting decisions being made since you don't have to give up any buttons to store specials.

Juri's new design grew on me a ton once I realized it was girl biker gang-inspired. She even does the punk squat in Story Mode.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I think it would have been more interesting If they hadn't announced Akuma for SFV now, cause I believe that many people (especially SF players) would try out T7FR just because of him, and now people will just play SFV instead (case in point: Poongko). You know what I mean? Akuma being in T7 doesn't feel that special anymore.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Gouken or Sean could have been really cool for V.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Big Scary Owl posted:

I think it would have been more interesting If they hadn't announced Akuma for SFV now, cause I believe that many people (especially SF players) would try out T7FR just because of him, and now people will just play SFV instead (case in point: Poongko). You know what I mean? Akuma being in T7 doesn't feel that special anymore.

Until we see that the stage is just the outside of the shrine from the Akuma vs Heihachi trailer fight :getin:

EDIT: Plus, the upside of Akuma is to give traditional SF players a familiar character in Tekken if/when they play it. That doesn't go away with this announcement.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Akuma in SFV doesn't make Akuma in T7 any less sick. He's got a cool implementation and also one of the best stages/themes in the game. Abandoned Temple rules

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

bhsman posted:

Juri's new design grew on me a ton once I realized it was girl biker gang-inspired. She even does the punk squat in Story Mode.

It's more specific than just "girl biker."

Also Guile is Stroheim and Rose is Lisa Lisa. There are probably others I've forgotten.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 7, 2016

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's more specific than just "girl biker."

Also Guile is Stroheim and Rose is Lisa Lisa.

Her original design (particularly her hair) is a reference to Jolyne, and thankfully that hasn't changed - it's also why I really don't like her premium outfit. They still have the biker gang aesthetic layered on top. :black101:

EDIT: And as others have mentioned, Necalli may be a huge Pillar Men (Santana?) reference.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Akuma in SFV doesn't make Akuma in T7 any less sick. He's got a cool implementation and also one of the best stages/themes in the game. Abandoned Temple rules

akuma will probably be more fun to play in tekken, which is a more fun game on the whole. in SFV he'll just be another loving s-tier Ryu

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/StreetFighter/status/795657063271727108

Heck yeah I love Corneria stage :buddy:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
SF3 designs are pretty good across the board but Makoto is the stand out because she's this angry scrappy kid who gets so pissed off she turns red and then punches your face off

Also i had no idea so many SF characters were copied from Jojo

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

SF3 is just gushing with style. Then we got Rufus.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Rufus owns, actually.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Lemon-Lime posted:

Rufus owns, actually.

Agreed.

:smith:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Generic black man

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

No, the fat kung fu nerd Rufus we got in SF4 owns.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Captain Baal posted:

Generic black man

Yeah actually

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Juri and Hakan are the only sf4 character design that I actually liked.The rest were ugly or just boring.

In comparison the sf5 character designs are a lot better. Rashid, Fang and Necall are all pretty good.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

bhsman posted:

Yeah actually

Uh, is your comparison supposed to be that he woulda been SF's Khushnood Butt, because being black and wearing a gi does not make you Butt. That's like saying Ken is Terry because they are both blonde and american. This is not mentioning that he is Brazilian on top of that.

Monaghan posted:

Juri and Hakan are the only sf4 character design that I actually liked.The rest were ugly or just boring.

In comparison the sf5 character designs are a lot better. Rashid, Fang and Necall are all pretty good.

I would not say Necalli is good, he is about as milquetoast as aztec tribal warrior can be. He's not bad, but nothing about him sticks out in particular and honestly the comparison to Blanka is more than apt. The two original SFV characters who are cool don't really outweigh the two you just named tbh and I would even say that like Viper and Abel are cool designs even if gameplay wise Viper breaks every convention of SF she can.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Abel rules, I want to stepkick properly in 2016 or 2017 whenever they release season two

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Captain Baal posted:

Uh, is your comparison supposed to be that he woulda been SF's Khushnood Butt, because being black and wearing a gi does not make you Butt. That's like saying Ken is Terry because they are both blonde and american. This is not mentioning that he is Brazilian on top of that.

Generic =/= bad, though. Black karate fan who does all of Rufus's moves would've been a cool addition to the roster instead of loud, beligerent solid yellow fat dude.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

bhsman posted:

Generic =/= bad, though. Black karate fan who does all of Rufus's moves would've been a cool addition to the roster instead of loud, beligerent solid yellow fat dude.

Rufus is tops and him wearing the Bruce Lee poo poo is great. he's also got the best sf4 stage next to solar eclipse on Africa or whatever it's called

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You would not have gotten Rufus' moveset with that character and being generic is lamer than being an outright bad design, that's not to even say I think Rufus' design is bad, I think it works pretty well for what the character is.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Captain Baal posted:

I would not say Necalli is good, he is about as milquetoast as aztec tribal warrior can be. He's not bad, but nothing about him sticks out in particular and honestly the comparison to Blanka is more than apt. The two original SFV characters who are cool don't really outweigh the two you just named tbh and I would even say that like Viper and Abel are cool designs even if gameplay wise Viper breaks every convention of SF she can.

Well I said "pretty good" I find necalli got a bit of a character to him and I like the super sayian hair.

The problem with that is that I don't think Viper and Abel are good designs. Viper's got the goofy hair, the weird open shirt and the goggles and nothing about her seems to mesh well. Abel's design was the epitome of generic fighting guy. I didn't like Rufus, El Fuerte or Seth. They were all just boring and nothing about them really popped to me.

I mean SF4 did have more original characters, even in the vanilla version, but man, they did not do a thing for me.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
the fact that the american character is literally a sphere owns, come the gently caress on

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the best part of Rufus is how all of his win quotes are like 5 lines long rambling about his girlfriend

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Countblanc posted:

the best part of Rufus is how all of his win quotes are like 5 lines long rambling about his girlfriend

bedmanwinquotes.flv

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
sfv fan logic

the character with the Roman numeral V all over his body and face in sfV is good. Rufus is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Tekken did the fat blonde martial arts american better