Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Intoluene posted:

Can't buy grog at the supermarket here (NSW) but pretty much every supermarket has an attached liquor store that gets labelled as a department by staff.

Same in SA.

E: Gah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

In Canada a liquor store is usually* your only option. In most provinces there is only one liquor store chain and it's operated by the provincial government.

* I say "usually" because some jurisdictions allow gas stations and corner stores to sell a small selection of beer. They aren't allowed to stock anything stronger though.

Mak0rz has a new favorite as of 07:20 on Nov 4, 2016

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
There are a couple of Starbucks in Portland that sold wide arrays of liquor. They stayed open until 11 PM, which was nice when you get out of class at 10 and want some caffeinated sugar to help you through that all-nighter.

skit herre
Mar 24, 2015

Don't do drugs, kids.
Lipstick Apathy
I was an intern at the German version of the IRS in Bavaria 10 years ago and you could get beer in the cafeteria there.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I'm glad I can buy booze at the newsagents, cinema and petrol station in case I'm not drunk at some point.

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.
I live in South Australia:capital city has an approx population of 1.3 million. Can't buy booze in supermarkets. Illegal to have an open container anywhere in the CBD other than a liquor licensed premises. Illegal for liquor licensed premises to be open after 0200. Government just rolled out 'declared antisocial zones' to limit weapon usage, means they can search and detain anyone in this areas with no probable cause. The zones? Only the single main street for night life in the CBD.

RIP puritanical city.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

bitterandtwisted posted:

I'm glad I can buy booze at the newsagents, cinema and petrol station in case I'm not drunk at some point.

:same:

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Mak0rz posted:

In Canada a liquor store is usually* your only option. In most provinces there is only one liquor store chain and it's operated by the provincial government.

* I say "usually" because some jurisdictions allow gas stations and corner stores to sell a small selection of beer. They aren't allowed to stock anything stronger though.

Privately owned liquor stores are really common actually, especially in BC and Alberta. I think Ontario is still under the shackles of the LCBO and Beer Store though.

I don't know about the intervening provinces because they are all prairie wastelands. Are they even populated?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

sinburger posted:

Privately owned liquor stores are really common actually, especially in BC and Alberta. I think Ontario is still under the shackles of the LCBO and Beer Store though.

I don't know about the intervening provinces because they are all prairie wastelands. Are they even populated?

The LCBO has some advantages, in that it is one of the largest (maybe the largest) single-buyers of alcohol in the world, and a crown corporation, so it's actually a revenue-positive government agency, a major employer, and its prices are actually competitive. It's not as if they're difficult to find or have bad hours, and the LCBO sets up wine vendors in many grocery stores. In short - there's shitloads of liquor in Ontario.

Manitoba has government-run MLCC Liquor Stores, like the LCBO, but private beer sale laws which allow what are essentially bar/hotel off-sales but with regular store fronts.

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010

sinburger posted:

All of the provinces on the east coast have only provincial liquor stores, except I think in newfoundland they can sell beer elsewhere.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Electrical Fire posted:

All of the provinces on the east coast have only provincial liquor stores, except I think in newfoundland they can sell beer elsewhere.

Newfoundland corner stores and gas stations can sell beer. One of the first things I missed about home when I moved away was not being able to make a 2 AM beer run :(

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Electrical Fire posted:

Used to be the same in Saskatchewan, but the Sask Party (created when the provincial libs and conservatives decided to combine) has started allowing private ones, in their flurry of privatizing everything.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Hardcordion posted:

Newfoundland corner stores and gas stations can sell beer. One of the first things I missed about home when I moved away was not being able to make a 2 AM beer run :(

The 24-hour Ultramar down the hill from Grenfell Campus is probably doing pretty good for itself.

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice

Hirayuki posted:

I don't eat much fast food in Japan, but I seem to remember beer on the menu here and there. Some cursory searching shows that they serve it at Burger King, Freshness Burger, and First Kitchen; it looks like some KFCs had a limited-time evening cocktail/drink campaign once upon a time, and some MOS Burgers had/have an alcohol-serving cafe concept a little like the Taco Bell cantinas they're trying out in the States.
And there are no laws against drinking in public in Japan--you can crack a beer or canned cocktail open on the train home, etc.--so I imagine you can get it to go. I'm heading there on Wednesday; I'll ask.

We already have a very similar fast food chain called Taco Cabana that serves beer, wine and some kind of frozen margarita made out of wine I think. I can't really see a group of young people getting off work on a Friday and all planning to meet up at Taco Bell Cantina for drinks.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
In hotels in Japan the convenience store in the lobby sold 10 different types of Sapporo--and other alcohol-- 24/7

:japan: wave of the future

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009
To think this all started because someone posted BK Japan's website.

Trebek posted:

We already have a very similar fast food chain called Taco Cabana that serves beer, wine and some kind of frozen margarita made out of wine I think. I can't really see a group of young people getting off work on a Friday and all planning to meet up at Taco Bell Cantina for drinks.

I really don't understand alcohol sales at fast food places. I'm in the US so its rare - but I know at chipotle you can get a corona, but I've never seen anyone buy one.

I'm jealous of everyone who can buy alcohol almost anywhere. I lived in philly for a while and only beer or liquor stores and bars could sell it. Unfortunately the nearest beer store was a 15 minute drive.

skit herre
Mar 24, 2015

Don't do drugs, kids.
Lipstick Apathy
It's not so great if you're an abstinent alcoholic though. Here at the checkout where you can find the overpriced single candy bars you also get overpriced little 0,1L bottles of liquor in case you need a sip before getting in your car.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

CommonShore posted:

The LCBO has some advantages, in that it is one of the largest (maybe the largest) single-buyers of alcohol in the world, and a crown corporation, so it's actually a revenue-positive government agency, a major employer, and its prices are actually competitive. It's not as if they're difficult to find or have bad hours, and the LCBO sets up wine vendors in many grocery stores. In short - there's shitloads of liquor in Ontario.

Manitoba has government-run MLCC Liquor Stores, like the LCBO, but private beer sale laws which allow what are essentially bar/hotel off-sales but with regular store fronts.

Yeah at least LCBO's are pretty ubiquitous...even the shittiest small towns generally have them. Where I live they are a dime a dozen, and they are usually the really big new ones with tons of poo poo.

That being said, I long for the day that Costco sells booze here....all the Americans and Quebecers in the Costco thread making me jealous!!

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010

genetic_knockout posted:

Yeah at least LCBO's are pretty ubiquitous...even the shittiest small towns generally have them. Where I live they are a dime a dozen, and they are usually the really big new ones with tons of poo poo.

That being said, I long for the day that Costco sells booze here....all the Americans and Quebecers in the Costco thread making me jealous!!

Alberta has Costco liquor stores as well, they're amazing.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I live next to an off-license so I can go and buy a 3L bottle of extra-strength cider at 8am and be pissed by 9am. If I can't wait till 8am I'll go to the 24 hour supermarket in town.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Christ, you Ninnies. If you can't gather the forethought to buy enough hooch before Midnight, then you deserve to go to bed sober, taking a hard look, as each trip 'round the sun is a more miserable and futile attempt than the last.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

you can't buy alcohol after 10PM in Scotland and it's annoying as gently caress

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

They learned from history, the last time the Scotts got drunk late at night they rebelled against England.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
"Can we eat DNA?"

-10th grade biology class

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Isolationist posted:

I live in South Australia:capital city has an approx population of 1.3 million. Can't buy booze in supermarkets. Illegal to have an open container anywhere in the CBD other than a liquor licensed premises. Illegal for liquor licensed premises to be open after 0200. Government just rolled out 'declared antisocial zones' to limit weapon usage, means they can search and detain anyone in this areas with no probable cause. The zones? Only the single main street for night life in the CBD.

RIP puritanical city.

Adelaide, yeah? I was there for a couple of weeks a little over a year ago. Lovely country.

Your alcohol prices are ridiculous though. Like even after you do the currency conversion it was near $20 for a six-pack. I'd never seen a drive-through liquor store before though I tell you what.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

AvesPKS posted:

"Can we eat DNA?"

I mean...technically the answer is yes, you're getting loads of it whenever you eat anything.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

fruit on the bottom posted:

Adelaide, yeah? I was there for a couple of weeks a little over a year ago. Lovely country.

Your alcohol prices are ridiculous though. Like even after you do the currency conversion it was near $20 for a six-pack. I'd never seen a drive-through liquor store before though I tell you what.

You should see cigarette prices. Our sin taxes are getting pretty bad.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Slime posted:

I mean...technically the answer is yes, you're getting loads of it whenever you eat anything.

But what if it gets lodged deep in your guts, like tree and watermelon seeds, and then starts growing? Ever thought about that, smart guy?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Khazar-khum posted:

But what if it gets lodged deep in your guts, like tree and watermelon seeds, and then starts growing? Ever thought about that, smart guy?
I think that happens in Deadly Premonition

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I think that happens in Deadly Premonition

What happens? Do double helixes start growing out your mouth? :ohdear:

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

AvesPKS posted:

"Can we eat DNA?"

I always carefully pick it out and leave it on the side of the plate.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

you can't buy alcohol after 10PM in Scotland and it's annoying as gently caress

You also can't drink at sporting events in Glasgow because you guys kept killing each other during games.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

poo poo when I was in Scotland I couldn't buy anything after 6 pm, let alone specific goods.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Khazar-khum posted:

What happens? Do double helixes start growing out your mouth? :ohdear:

Yes. I believe this is how you become an Evangelion unit :ohdear:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

My Lovely Horse posted:

poo poo when I was in Scotland I couldn't buy anything after 6 pm, let alone specific goods.

Ah yes, the casualties of day drinkin

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

You also can't drink at sporting events in Glasgow because you guys kept killing each other during games.
joke's on them, we still kill each other at football games , we just do it sober

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

joke's on them, we still kill each other at football games , we just do it sober

I thought you'd moved on from that and just threatened referees with bodily harm on the reg

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Look at all you sorry bastards that have their alcohol supply/consumption limited in some way ... Here you can buy alcohol almost anywhere (supermarket, movie theater, fast food, indoor playground etc.) and drink it in public.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I've confirmed that you can do carry-out beer at fast-food restaurants in Japan that serve it; they just hand you a can and there are no open-container laws. Off you go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

sixth and maimed posted:

Look at all you sorry bastards that have their alcohol supply/consumption limited in some way ... Here you can buy alcohol almost anywhere (supermarket, movie theater, fast food, indoor playground etc.) and drink it in public.

You can just put booze into a camelbak and drink anywhere you want

• Locked thread