Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I have a reversible leather belt. One side is black, the other is brown. Steel buckle. Great.

For a year now I have been unscrewing the buckle with a tiny screwdriver and turning it around and screwing it back in every time I want to wear my other shoes. I got to a point where I would just wear brown one week and black the next.

Two days ago I got it caught in the bathroom and found that I can just pull out the buckle a tiny bit and swivel it around.

I am deeply ashamed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Inzombiac posted:

I have a reversible leather belt. One side is black, the other is brown. Steel buckle. Great.

For a year now I have been unscrewing the buckle with a tiny screwdriver and turning it around and screwing it back in every time I want to wear my other shoes. I got to a point where I would just wear brown one week and black the next.

Two days ago I got it caught in the bathroom and found that I can just pull out the buckle a tiny bit and swivel it around.

I am deeply ashamed.

It may well last longer if you use the screwdriver because reversible belts are poorly constructed trash and the buckle inevitably snaps off sooner or later. I have never had one last even a year.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Bertrand Hustle posted:

It may well last longer if you use the screwdriver because reversible belts are poorly constructed trash and the buckle inevitably snaps off sooner or later. I have never had one last even a year.

The belt I had was garbage in that the belt itself fell apart, like there was a layer of "leather" covering one side to make up the brown portion, and it peeled off in big scab-like flakes. That's what I get for being poor I guess.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Titus Sardonicus posted:

The belt I had was garbage in that the belt itself fell apart, like there was a layer of "leather" covering one side to make up the brown portion, and it peeled off in big scab-like flakes. That's what I get for being poor I guess.
"Look at this guy, claims he's poor, but owns two belts!"

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Hmm, I've had this guy over a year and I wear it every day. I'm pretty sure it is actually dyed twice because there is no sign of wear or flaking.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The TMBG song contrecoup is about a coup contrecoup head injury

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The home symbol on twitter is a birdhouse.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
The word "decide" comes from the same root as suicide/homicide: "caedere" in Latin, meaning "cut, strike, or kill".

The "de" means "off" in this case, so apparently deciding is killing off or cutting off an option.

Separately, I feel smart that I guessed right on the root for "insidious"; it is indeed "sidere/sedere" meaning "to sit". The image being "sitting in wait to ambush someone". Other English words from the same root include sediment, sedentary, preside, resident, sedative, etc.

I took a class in Greek and Latin roots my very first semester of college, and it's probably one of the best academic bangs for the buck I've ever gotten. If anyone has GRE/SAT/etc coming up, bone up on your classical roots and your ability to recognize vocabulary will increase dramatically.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

The word "decide" comes from the same root as suicide/homicide: "caedere" in Latin, meaning "cut, strike, or kill".

The "de" means "off" in this case, so apparently deciding is killing off or cutting off an option.

Separately, I feel smart that I guessed right on the root for "insidious"; it is indeed "sidere/sedere" meaning "to sit". The image being "sitting in wait to ambush someone". Other English words from the same root include sediment, sedentary, preside, resident, sedative, etc.

I took a class in Greek and Latin roots my very first semester of college, and it's probably one of the best academic bangs for the buck I've ever gotten. If anyone has GRE/SAT/etc coming up, bone up on your classical roots and your ability to recognize vocabulary will increase dramatically.

:lol: if you didn't just go to a real school and had Latin for six years... yeah, :lol:...

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Remember, nothing is a better judge of one's intelligence than being familiar with words that are less widely used than 'fictional' ones

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Grillfiend posted:

this will blow your mind : the 69 does not refer to the year 1969

oh uh hm this is my mom's favorite song

:suicide:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

:lol: if you didn't just go to a real school and had Latin for six years... yeah, :lol:...

I had Latin for six years in high school and I don't remember a thing

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

If you don't know what a verb means, it's always kill. (Works well with Old English texts as well.)

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I've found that kind of stuff to be helpful in teaching A&P to freshmen trying to get into the university's nursing program.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Phlegmish posted:

maybe because you went to high school for 6 years

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ladron posted:

maybe because you went to high school for 6 years

High school goes for six years in lots of countries.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
My school was K-6, JH was 7-9, HS was 10-12. I know that some places have senior-only schools, or skip junior high and have HS be 7-12, or have a middle school that's 7/8, JH that's 9/10, and HS that's 11/12. Are there any other common combinations?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

My school was K-6, JH was 7-9, HS was 10-12. I know that some places have senior-only schools, or skip junior high and have HS be 7-12, or have a middle school that's 7/8, JH that's 9/10, and HS that's 11/12. Are there any other common combinations?

6-8 was middle school, 9-12 was high school. That one is pretty common.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Where I'm at, Elementary is K-4, middle is 5-8, and High School is 9-12.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Primary school in most of Australia is K-6, high school is 7-12.

It's probably a dumb idea especially with the new thinking about segregating 13-14 year olds (year 9) but it's the way it's done here :shrug:

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Kindergarten was its own entity, then elementary 1-6, middle 7-8, high 9-12

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
PYF School Grade System

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I didn't go to school. I learned everything I needed to know on the streets.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Memento posted:

Primary school in most of Australia is K-6, high school is 7-12.

I think another difference is that in America, kindergarten is what we call prep, rather than a separate pre-school year? And technically 7-10 is secondary college and then you can do either two or three years of HSC or VCE. And if you do three years then the second and third are both year 12, not 12 and 13.

XenoXiaoyu
Mar 28, 2006

Give us your HANDS
Thandie Newton and Zoe Saldana are two different people.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
It took me many years to finally realize Led Zeppelin's "Ramble On" has Tolkien references and Yes' "Your Move" uses chess metaphors throughout, leading me to the conclusion that despite thinking of these bands as cool, rock and roll legends they were massive nerds in their youth.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

XenoXiaoyu posted:

Thandie Newton and Zoe Saldana are two different people.

So are Darren McGavin and Martin Balsam.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

dirksteadfast posted:

It took me many years to finally realize Led Zeppelin's "Ramble On" has Tolkien references and Yes' "Your Move" uses chess metaphors throughout, leading me to the conclusion that despite thinking of these bands as cool, rock and roll legends they were massive nerds in their youth.

I'm not sure Yes were ever considered "cool" by anyone.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

I'm not sure Yes were ever considered "cool" by anyone.

Young me did. I had low standards I guess. "Plays music, that's cool, sure."

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

dirksteadfast posted:

It took me many years to finally realize Led Zeppelin's "Ramble On" has Tolkien references

How did you not catch them? Go read more of their lyrics, there's more. Misty mountain hop had it right in the title

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

sweeperbravo posted:

So are Darren McGavin and Martin Balsam.

And the kid from arrested development and the social network.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Quebec is K-6, 7-11, then something called CEGEP for 2 years, then university
OR
For some programs CEGEP for 3-4 years total instead, and you get a degree.

They're referred to elementary, and highschool. Though when I went the grades in HS were typically called Sec(ondary) 1 through 5.

Some schools offer a voluntary grade 12 instead of CEGEP if you're planning on going to university out of province/country.

I don't think CEGEP is mandatory though.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Speaking of Quebec, I was glancing at a map and realized that Montreal is not in fact the provincial capital. It's Quebec. I'm usually very knowledgeable about geography, so I felt pretty ashamed of myself.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
It's Johnny Depp in The Ninth Gate, not Ethan Hawke.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

FELD1 posted:

Speaking of Quebec, I was glancing at a map and realized that Montreal is not in fact the provincial capital. It's Quebec. I'm usually very knowledgeable about geography, so I felt pretty ashamed of myself.

It's not. It's Quebec City. And since it's Quebec were talking about it's technically Ville de Québec.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Calypso (the nymph, probably not the style of music) comes from the same root as "apocalypse", because the latter is literally "unveiling" and thus to "Revelation", thus to the book of Revelation, thus to the modern usage of "end of the world".

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

And the kid from arrested development and the social network.

I watched all of Zombieland and most of the special factures before realizing that it wasn't Michael cera.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Jerry Cotton posted:

This is what happens with autodidacts :mmmhmm:

It also happens with people who've been taught by others, though! I was 22 before I realized that the little towels on hanging rings by the faucet were for drying your hands, because when I was young and asked what they were for, my mother told me they were decorative and I wasn't allowed to touch them.

Wanamingo posted:

The TMBG song contrecoup is about a coup contrecoup head injury

Yeah, but it's also like a metaphor about like love and stuff

Fun fact: They got challenged by a podcast to make a song using obscure, extinct words. Said podcast, The Next Big Thing, made a habit of contacting artists and asking them to make songs incorporating near-unknown words.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
There's a Fanuc factory in Japan producing robot machines that is fully automated and can run for a month with no human intervention. The product the lights out factory produces is CNC machines to be sold to automate the machine shop process elsewhere. Soon business deals and materials purchasing will be done by A.I. and the one guy who owns all that poo poo will be busy building an ATM that never stops shooting out money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

John Lee posted:

It also happens with people who've been taught by others, though! I was 22 before I realized that the little towels on hanging rings by the faucet were for drying your hands, because when I was young and asked what they were for, my mother told me they were decorative and I wasn't allowed to touch them.

Haha your mum is gross.

There's two labeled hooks by the sink in the bathroom in my apartment. One is labeled hands and the other Oscar. (To clarify: they were already there when I moved in.)