Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The switch between old/new styles is definitely way more jarring (to put it mildly) than in Day of the Tentacle, but as you pointed out, the original DotT already had a new, more cartoony art style that "upconverted" really well. Similarly, I never played DotT because it looked so unlike Maniac Mansion, and that turned me off.

Man, I should play Monkey Island again...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Guy Mann posted:

Yeah, I never actually played the Monkey Island remake mostly because of the graphical style they went with.

:yikes:

They improved it for the remake of monkey island 2.

As well as letting you use a combination of new voices/music with the old graphics. But goddamn the artstyle they went for in the MI 1 remake is terrible.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Luisfe posted:

They improved it for the remake of monkey island 2.

As well as letting you use a combination of new voices/music with the old graphics. But goddamn the artstyle they went for in the MI 1 remake is terrible.

It's also nigh-impossible to do the Mug puzzle in the New Mode, you have to do it in Classic.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Crusader Kings 2 keeps your three most recent autosaves, which is pretty standard. But what I just noticed today is that it renames them every time a new autosave is made, so the most recent is labeled "autosave", the second is "oldautosave" and then the third is "olderautosave". I've never seen a game do more for autosave labelling than just the standard date stamp, or nothing at all.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's also nigh-impossible to do the Mug puzzle in the New Mode, you have to do it in Classic.

Why? Does the art gently caress it or something?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Neito posted:

Why? Does the art gently caress it or something?

The Verb Coin means it takes longer to swap grog between mugs and actually access the inventory, so you can't actually do it fast enough to keep it contained.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Verb Coin means it takes longer to swap grog between mugs and actually access the inventory, so you can't actually do it fast enough to keep it contained.

I had a little trouble with the kite bit in Day of the Tentacle because of the new verb select. Nothing near impossible but it's definitely a place where the otherwise more convenient design slipped a little.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The fifth Battlefield game, which they have called Battlefield 1, gives you the option to skip the deathscreen and go straight to the deployment screen. More shooters should do this, I don't want to loving watch some jagoff sprint around and jump then prone then immediately stand up then jump multiple times to the next location. Or worse, be a sniper so I'm just watching a guy laying prone and doing nothing.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Selecting verbs with the mouse is for squares anyway. I used the keyboard shortcuts (Give, Open, Close, Walk to, Pick up, Look at, Talk to, Use, Shove, Yank) for the original and I kept using them for the HD remake. The Shove and Yank shortcuts were super handy for inputting the safe combination at the shop.

LucasArts even kept those keyboard shortcuts for games that only ever had the verb coin. L, T, P and W still correspond to the various body parts in Full Throttle.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Leal posted:

The fifth Battlefield game, which they have called Battlefield 1, gives you the option to skip the deathscreen and go straight to the deployment screen. More shooters should do this, I don't want to loving watch some jagoff sprint around and jump then prone then immediately stand up then jump multiple times to the next location. Or worse, be a sniper so I'm just watching a guy laying prone and doing nothing.

The real question is why did battlefield 3 change it in the first place, especially after it added way more loadout junk to change in the menus. When I die I don't want to see a pointless killcam, I want to see the map and my loadout options immediately so I can know where I should spawn or switch out my gear before I spawn. In battlefield 3 if you want to change any of that, you can only do it while you are currently eligible to spawn, which is dumb as poo poo if you're losing a flag right now and need to spawn ASAP. Bad company 2 added the killcam but it still let you immediately bring up the loadout menu to change your stuff so it was fine.

Also battlefield 1 is the tenth game if you count bad company 1 and 1943, and the eighth game if you don't.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Digirat posted:

Also battlefield 1 is the tenth game if you count bad company 1 and 1943, and the eighth game if you don't.

Wikipedia says:

quote:

Despite its name, it is the fifteenth installment in the Battlefield series, and the first main entry in the series since Battlefield 4.

What. The gently caress. Why can nobody number their loving games properly?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Because Battlefield 1 is set in World War One you goddamn clowns, just like how Battlefield 1942 wasn't preceded by 1941 games.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

poptart_fairy posted:

Because Battlefield 1 is set in World War One you goddamn clowns, just like how Battlefield 1942 wasn't preceded by 1941 games.

Just like how Battlefield 2 is set during World War 2.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
My point is that people are being deliberately dumb about the title.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah - I mean everyone knows it's referring to WW1, but it's still a really dumb name for a number of reasons.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I don't know poo poo about Battlefield and I assumed Battlefield 1 referred to the first game. The ones being deliberately dumb are the people who released the games Battlefield 2, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4 and Battlefield 1 in that order.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I've been playing Rebel Galaxy a bit and while I haven't quite decided if I like it yet (It certainly isn't as good as AC4 in its combat, as people hinted at) it reminded me of Freelancer and how it had such a wonderful reason why all the different factions were ethnic stereotypes; the different colony ships were all from different nations and so all the ethnic divisions remained even in space.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

poptart_fairy posted:

That's cause its a dumb title. Like 'Xbox One'

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I don't know poo poo about Battlefield and I assumed Battlefield 1 referred to the first game. The ones being deliberately dumb are the people who released the games Battlefield 2, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4 and Battlefield 1 in that order.

They probably called it such because the people who were in charge thought it would be funny, and had enough charisma to convince marketing that it was weird/evocative enough to attach attention. Nothing more to it than some guys who had a laugh at the fact that they got away with it.

Away all Goats posted:

That's cause its a dumb title. Like 'Xbox One'

Unlike this. Xbone was literally a console made by morons who don't understand video games.

CONTENT:

In the post game of Grow Home, you're given an extra quest to recover seeds of the giant plant you spent the game growing. Thankfully, all the seeds are close to the various teleporters around the game, plus they grow in the dark. Making what would've been a very tedious quest into something that's actually fun to do. Especially if you got all of the collectible crystals and got infinite jetpack.

Plus, the dozen entries in the data bank are fun and cute, making that side mission worthwhile.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Battlefield 1 should have been "Battlefield: The Great War" since that's what they called it before the second world war broke out.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Inzombiac posted:

Battlefield 1 should have been "Battlefield: The Great War" since that's what they called it before the second world war broke out.

WRONG!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeDjaQNiTog

For what it's worth, it was first called 'the first world war' in writing in 1914, but it was most likely intended as a war of the first world, rather than a worldwide war.

Granted, it only caught on after WWII, but still, the term 'the first world war' was coined around 1914.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 00:41 on Nov 8, 2016

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Well I'll be damned. I'd been carrying that around forever!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Cleretic posted:

WRONG!

For what it's worth, it was first called 'the first world war' in writing in 1914, but it was most likely intended as a war of the first world, rather than a worldwide war.

Granted, it only caught on after WWII, but still, the term 'the first world war' was coined around 1914.

Wasn't it also, literally, the first war on such a global scale? You don't need to be psychic to say "this is the first time that's happened".

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

WickedHate posted:

Wasn't it also, literally, the first war on such a global scale? You don't need to be psychic to say "this is the first time that's happened".

I'd think the Seven Years' War would get that honor

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

WickedHate posted:

The Napoleonic wars and related conflicts were on a global scale as well.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~
Ya'll aren't giving the classics enough face.

The Khans and Alexander for OG world wars.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

m2pt5 posted:

Wikipedia says:

What. The gently caress. Why can nobody number their loving games properly?

Oh for christ's sake are they counting battlefield heroes and battlefield play4free or whatever it was

I'll give them battlefield 2: modern combat as a major entry since apparently that was quite different from BF2 on PC, but what other two am I even missing here

We can blame battlefield 2 for starting this poo poo at least. Just like we can blame it for its aircraft. Its stupid loving aircraft.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Cleretic posted:

That seems unlikely, since the terms first/second/third world originated in the Cold War, or at least after WWII, IIRC.

So as not to be entirely off-topic: If you're lucky (or exploit physics glitches), you can knock off car wheels in Mafia II. If you're really lucky, you can do it twice without killing yourself or permanently wrecking the engine...

Honestly, I bet a lot of people who played Mafia 2 wouldn't know that could happen at all, since it won't happen in 'normal' collisions, and you're penalized for experimenting in the main game thanks to the game also simulating 1950s car safety standards.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Cleretic posted:

WRONG!

Isn't the term 'First World' 'Third World', etc from the Cold War?

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

Digirat posted:

Oh for christ's sake are they counting battlefield heroes and battlefield play4free or whatever it was

I'll give them battlefield 2: modern combat as a major entry since apparently that was quite different from BF2 on PC, but what other two am I even missing here

We can blame battlefield 2 for starting this poo poo at least. Just like we can blame it for its aircraft. Its stupid loving aircraft.

Modern Combat was fantastic and I WISH another FPS campaign would pick up on the idea of 'hotswapping' between a team of soldiers. It was so much fun!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Away all Goats posted:

Isn't the term 'First World' 'Third World', etc from the Cold War?

Yes, it was.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

First World was NATO, Second World the Warsaw Pact, and Third World the countries we mutually ruined.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Inzombiac posted:

I still say "The Battlefield to end Battlefields" would've been a hilarious name for it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Internet Wizard posted:

First World was NATO, Second World the Warsaw Pact, and Third World the countries we mutually ruined.

And the Fourth World was where Jack Kirby made awesome

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm not sure if anyone ever played old platformer Vexx on the ps2 but while the story is poorly presented garbage, the charm comes from the gameplay. It doesn't so much have a difficulty curve as it starts off tricky then gets plain hard fairly quickly. It's like the games going "Oh, you think you can platform? Mario 64? Jak and Daxter?! Cute... i'll show you platforming! First level - Finicky jumps on floating rocks and hidden jumping puzzle tower that's long and hard! Second level - Underwater LABYRINTH Fucker! Plus a secret entrance from aforementioned tower to an identical but harder tower. Good luck!"

Also the fourth level is basically the best - platforming in a giant living room, manipulating a game of breakout while balancing on the analog stick that controls it, jumping into the piano for an incredibly difficult platforming section on music notes, staves, and instruments, and collecting the equivalent of the 8 red coins (6 bottles) on a swaying chandelier, with each branch containing one bottle. All really hard but also really fun.

Apparently the level after this is a difficulty spike but I'm enjoying what I've seen so far.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm not sure if anyone ever played old platformer Vexx on the ps2 but while the story is poorly presented garbage, the charm comes from the gameplay. It doesn't so much have a difficulty curve as it starts off tricky then gets plain hard fairly quickly. It's like the games going "Oh, you think you can platform? Mario 64? Jak and Daxter?! Cute... i'll show you platforming! First level - Finicky jumps on floating rocks and hidden jumping puzzle tower that's long and hard! Second level - Underwater LABYRINTH Fucker! Plus a secret entrance from aforementioned tower to an identical but harder tower. Good luck!"

Also the fourth level is basically the best - platforming in a giant living room, manipulating a game of breakout while balancing on the analog stick that controls it, jumping into the piano for an incredibly difficult platforming section on music notes, staves, and instruments, and collecting the equivalent of the 8 red coins (6 bottles) on a swaying chandelier, with each branch containing one bottle. All really hard but also really fun.

Apparently the level after this is a difficulty spike but I'm enjoying what I've seen so far.

i loved vexx I had it on GameCube it's basically the Mario 64 sequel we never got

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
wolfenstein tno

when you return to your base after a rescue mission it's packed with refugees. one of them is hiding in the pantry and has a unique animation where he's desperately holding on to the nearest jar of food for dear life with a look of terror in his eyes.

that's some good nonverbal characterization

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Been playing Spirit Tracks on the Wii-U, riding the train is pretty relaxing and drawing hints you find on the map or just marking it makes me feel like an explorer.
Also, you can save state - which has come in handy when I want to quite during the tower of spirit segments, or as I just learned today - doing the duets.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Been playing StarCrawlers a lot recently and there are a lot of little things:
The enemies are all 2d but look really really good and so you don't really notice.
All skill trees have an effect in random encounters exploring, so hackers can often disable security, whilst Smugglers can negotiate with corp clerks to get info about the level or Void Psykers can melt the minds of the clerk to avoid extra battles.

If you set your party up you can have crazy attacks going on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmePyEKaWng

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I've been playing the Mad Max game and man the animation work is really great. Max will almost unconsciously touch his shotgun to make sure it's still there while running. And the fire and explosions look amazing. They fill tunnels realistically and kinda woosh around your car when you drive through them.