Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
I think it's fine to play a game in whatever fashion brings you the most enjoyment, but that doesn't change how easy this game is by its own merits.

I did forget about that wall thing in the Temple, though, gently caress that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Because it's on the easier side, I think setting battles to active is required for maximizing challenge, same as 6 and 4. I actually didn't know wait was ever an option until years after 10 came out.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

thorsilver posted:

Yes there's a PSP remake of 2, I believe it's on PSN, it definitely is in Europe at least. There's also FF Origins on PSX which is also on PSN.

Dawn of Souls is a remake of both 1 and 2 on GBA.

Dawn of Souls is really good, I personally like the PSP remake more just for the big chunky sprites. Haven't played Origins in ages, but if I remember right its the only remake of old FF on PSX not plagued by terrible load times, but I could be wrong about that.

I don't think the GBA version of FF2 has all the extra and QoL stuff from the PSP (and mobile) versions. Pretty sure the GBA version didn't have the keyword dungeon, postgame dungeon, Hp gains independent of damage taken (those are still in too) and a few other tweaks. Hell, one of the keyword dungeon layouts has a repeatable chest with an osmose spellbook which is reason enough to play that version unless you hate life and really want to farm extra copies by fighting Wizards; a rare enemy that can drop several items (and Osmose is their rarest drop :v:). Not that you need Osmose, but it's really drat strong and pretty much infinite MP for anyone who has it. Max level Toad is still broken as poo poo too.

FF2 still isn't a great game but the PSP/mobile version is far better than any version of FF3, especially the DS/mobile version which is probably even worse than the original.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Getting the Iron Giant was a tedious grind but was oddly more satisfying to succeed at than I expected. The game is pretty fair about these murky mirages, I was able to take him down with effective curing and stack command usage.

I guess I'll take it to the WoFF thread.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

The wall boss, that crane thing you fight before getting the submarine (?), and for some reason I always get killed at least once by the boss you fight after Aerith gets stabbed so I have to sit through the cutscenes a couple of times.

:what:

You get a ring that absorbs Water attacks just before finding that area. You literally shouldn't be able to die to that boss if you're paying any attention.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FF2 is piss easy even in the NES version once you know how the mechanics work, i.e. agility is god stat, heavy armor is completely useless, and many armors have spellcasting penalties (and for the NES version weapons and shields, though the remakes remove those but not the armor penalties). The remakes do let you become ludicrously broken though, which is pretty sweet.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

I just want to say I'm genuinely surprised this is new. I forgot that Sephiroth wasn't in Dissidia Arcade, especially since they've been adding totally new characters before him.

Also, let's just agree here and now, Sephiroth's stupid improbable sword just could not hold in a clash with Cloud's stupid improbable sword in the way pictured in that video, it is far too light and thin.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Oh yeah, because fans always know better than the creators.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

is WFF any good? demo was interesting but simple and kind of boring

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It is quite good. It's a bit easy and a bit budget in places but a solid overall game assuming you're looking for something mostly focused on humor and franchise fanservice.

Alternately:

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 8, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Die Sexmonster! posted:

:what:

You get a ring that absorbs Water attacks just before finding that area. You literally shouldn't be able to die to that boss if you're paying any attention.

I never use situational stuff like single element absorbing accessories, I don't even remember getting that and the last time it happened was probably late last year.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

WOFF is very good, and while I enjoyed the demo, the actual game is way better

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mega64 posted:

FF2 is piss easy even in the NES version once you know how the mechanics work, i.e. agility is god stat, heavy armor is completely useless, and many armors have spellcasting penalties (and for the NES version weapons and shields, though the remakes remove those but not the armor penalties). The remakes do let you become ludicrously broken though, which is pretty sweet.

If you take Toad to level 16 the ice sled card matching game changes to Toad Mode, replacing player portraits with their Toad versions. The rewards are also replaced with a Masamune (0 fuckups) and pieces of Genji gear and maybe the aegis shield.

And there's a finite number of layouts it uses, so once you go through the cycle once you can just keep getting flawless wins if you kept track of the different layouts. Get Toad early, grind it to level 16, and have everyone dual wielding Masamunes as soon as you have the ice sled. :black101:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

There is a demo. I got bored of it in about 10 minutes but i've never liked pokemon or any of it's clones. Give it a shot though.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

morallyobjected posted:

WOFF is very good, and while I enjoyed the demo, the actual game is way better

I'm enjoying WOFF so much, It is legitimately funny. I find myself laughing a lot.

(chapter 17 or 18)

Got to besaid and Lann makes a remark about how this place feels like making him laugh and he does the Tidus laugh. It presented so well that it got a laugh out of me. Especially because i did not expect it. Also the intervene quest with the tonberry, moogle and cactuar was amazing

WOFF is great

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm getting towards the end of chapter 7 in FF13 (almost at Hope's home) how long until I start getting three people parties again because I'm real sick of this two person crap.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm getting towards the end of chapter 7 in FF13 (almost at Hope's home) how long until I start getting three people parties again because I'm real sick of this two person crap.

I think it's Chapter 9

Sefal posted:

I'm enjoying WOFF so much, It is legitimately funny. I find myself laughing a lot.

(chapter 17 or 18)

Got to besaid and Lann makes a remark about how this place feels like making him laugh and he does the Tidus laugh. It presented so well that it got a laugh out of me. Especially because i did not expect it. Also the intervene quest with the tonberry, moogle and cactuar was amazing

WOFF is great

those scenes cracked me up, too. the whole game is fanservice dialed up to 11 and it's great.

Moogiepie

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

My roommate bought WoFF and I was like "well I wasn't going to buy it but I'll give it a shot" and now I have over 40 hours in it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I enjoy the two person teams because they can be a bit challenging and you have to get creative with the paradigms but the Lightning/Hope section is the worst part of the game to me. You kinda just do damage and heal for a while, there's nothing interesting or fun about the tree section. The boss for that part is fun though

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is there any point where Sentinels are a requirement in FF13, I just got to the point where I can choose my own party and I'm liking my Lightning/Vanille/Sahz team but they're a bit glass cannon-y

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

There's a few things which drop powerful attacks occasionally that you need, or at least are better off with, Sentinel, but it's not common.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Sakurazuka posted:

Is there any point where Sentinels are a requirement in FF13, I just got to the point where I can choose my own party and I'm liking my Lightning/Vanille/Sahz team but they're a bit glass cannon-y

I always had a SEN/MED/MED for big boss attacks that I could quickly switch into. Later bosses seem to have wind up attacks that require some bunkering down for a few seconds.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Sen Med Med is a common healing paradigm. On the main story path, Sen Sen Sen is probably overkill but its required for several cieth stones and for grinding elephants.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I guess it doesn't really matter now everyone can get every role, though it seems like a pain to get people into roles they're not good at. Anyway I beat the Space Pope without a SEN and didn't even come close to dying so I guess I'm okay for now.

My main healing Para is MED/MED/SYN for the quick buff refresh.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 9, 2016

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I guess it doesn't really matter now everyone can get every role, though it seems like a pain to get people into roles they're not good at. Anyway I beat the Space Pope without a SEN and didn't even come close to dying so I guess I'm okay for now.

it is a massive pain to get people into their non-primary roles, and if you're not doing a bunch of the optional content, you shouldn't even bother with it until and unless you fill out everyone's primary roles.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I think Sazh ends up the best SEN in your party. Even with just Provoke, having a SEN in your party reduces party damage taken so SEN/MED/MED will still work okay without a ridiculous investment in Sazh's SEN Crystarium.

I spent a good portion of the game with Hope/Vanille/Sazh AKA team Launch-less and still had fun with it, so don't worry too much. I did give Hope Commando since he learns Ruin really quickly (it might be the first node?) and before learning Attack.

Generally sub roles are avoidable, but if it's giving your party a role you're missing it's not that bad, or giving Fang Ravager.

Edit: But probably don't go past the first stage of the Crystarium, unlocking the role is the bigger thing. The CP costs get really big and it's more worth it to invest in your primary roles.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 9, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah first thing I thought was 'oh I'll give Fang RAV' and didn't have enough CP to even get to the first ability.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Evil Fluffy posted:

If you take Toad to level 16 the ice sled card matching game changes to Toad Mode, replacing player portraits with their Toad versions. The rewards are also replaced with a Masamune (0 fuckups) and pieces of Genji gear and maybe the aegis shield.

And there's a finite number of layouts it uses, so once you go through the cycle once you can just keep getting flawless wins if you kept track of the different layouts. Get Toad early, grind it to level 16, and have everyone dual wielding Masamunes as soon as you have the ice sled. :black101:
Is this some GBA version?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Is this some GBA version?

Yeah, the card game was added in the remakes, I think starting with the Wonderswan/PS1 versions.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Sakurazuka posted:

Not really, people do have differing abilities. For instance, Hope/Vanille still remain the best Medics since they're the only ones to get Curaja. However, Lightning/Snow have the fastest cast speeds, so if you need quick Curas they're the ones to go for.

Fang and Vanille are the only ones to learn Bravera and Faithra as a SYN, which are stronger versions of the buffs but last a shorter duration. And so on.

It's probably worth the time to pick up a few RAV abilities for Fang so she can contribute to chaining. In addition, it's very easy for Hope to dip into COM, and since Ruin is his first ability you can just grab it and never touch it again, since he prefers using Ruin anyway because of his better Magic stat.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Still playing Tactics A2: are Chocobo Knights worth investing in? It seems like it might be a hassle to get them going because I'd be at the mercy of random battle spawns if I understand it correctly. But they also could be obscenely useful with the right color, right? What should I do?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Alxprit posted:

Still playing Tactics A2: are Chocobo Knights worth investing in? It seems like it might be a hassle to get them going because I'd be at the mercy of random battle spawns if I understand it correctly. But they also could be obscenely useful with the right color, right? What should I do?

The game is easy enough that if it seems cool or interesting to you you can use it. Sure there is more broken poo poo out there but it doesn't really matter.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Who here is familiar with Shnabubula? Those who aren't should get acquainted. He did a (post-election?) themed FF (and other stuff) series jazz piano improv set on twitch I assume off the head making it up as he went along that lasted nearly 40 minutes.

Link on soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/shnabubula/final-fantasy-catharsis

Twitch link: https://www.twitch.tv/shnabubula steams on weekdays at 7PM EST for jam sessions, and he does a (roughly) monthly show where he takes requests
Bandcamp: https://shnabubula.bandcamp.com/

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Alxprit posted:

They're not the best job ever but they're pretty fun. The Black Rider is also the only non-Gria job that can fly. Just keep in mind that hopping on a Chocobo gives you three weaknesses.

Black (Flying), Red (Choco Meteor) and White (Choco Recharge) are the only ones you should grab though. Should you not want to use a Chocobo, the Knights also have the benefit of being able to use every weapon type, so they're not useless on foot as long as you give them a good secondary skillset to use it with.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man whoever said FF13 goes downhill when you get to Pulse was right, it's like someone just slammed the brakes on.
Do the c'ieth mission rankings mean anything? I did a D one that was the most trouble I'd had with anything in the game to far, then a C one which wanted me to kill a normal enemy with no special powers.
I really wish it had some indication of how relatively tough an enemy should because I'm constantly in a state of 'is this too high level for me or am I just being crap?'

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Man whoever said FF13 goes downhill when you get to Pulse was right, it's like someone just slammed the brakes on.
Do the c'ieth mission rankings mean anything? I did a D one that was the most trouble I'd had with anything in the game to far, then a C one which wanted me to kill a normal enemy with no special powers.
I really wish it had some indication of how relatively tough an enemy should because I'm constantly in a state of 'is this too high level for me or am I just being crap?'

Nope there is pretty much nothing indicating how tough a given fight will actually be except it's letter which is just sort of a general idea but completely non indicative. You, reasonably, should go only as far as the quest to unlock chocobos on your first pass through. If you want to quit but easily do some later quests without having to run back through Tianjin tower do until you unlock the teleport stones, then do the teleport stone quests when you are in Tianjin and Oerba because despite the much higher number and difficulty score their very doable on your first time through.

I'd recommend making sure you have some of the item for surprising enemies left as you progress because nothing matches the completely out of place spike in difficulty that are the phalanxes in the upcoming dungeon.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hah yeah I already met a Phalanx that's why I've been doing almost anything else other than following the main story.
I've already done two teleport stones in the Massif area, I think I've gotten completely out of line with what I really should be doing.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Nah, if anything you're actually doing it right. Lots of people don't realize the game expects you to do some hunts to get up to speed and then get stonewalled by either the Phalanx or one of the upcoming bosses. Once you get Chocobos unlocked, you should be in good shape to move on.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

BabyRyoga posted:

Who here is familiar with Shnabubula? Those who aren't should get acquainted. He did a (post-election?) themed FF (and other stuff) series jazz piano improv set on twitch I assume off the head making it up as he went along that lasted nearly 40 minutes.

Link on soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/shnabubula/final-fantasy-catharsis

Twitch link: https://www.twitch.tv/shnabubula steams on weekdays at 7PM EST for jam sessions, and he does a (roughly) monthly show where he takes requests
Bandcamp: https://shnabubula.bandcamp.com/

Whoa, too cool, thank you.

Always loved his Playing Super Mario While Taking Mushrooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

This probably isn't news to most people but holy poo poo FF13 feels like a game designed by 100 people none of whom actually spoke to each other, it's just full of the most baffling crap. Why is the difficulty all over the place? It feels like an MMO beta before encounters have been tuned properly. Why do I have to kill a monster I may or may not be able to beat at that point just unlock a fast travel point?
I want to like it because the combat is actually fun when it works but then next fight my leader gets rapid punches in the face and it's game over despite the other two being at full health.